test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

noticeable lag improvement

olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
it's not clean yet but, there does seem to be some improvement, nice to see

noticed it from about tuesday, not just today

EDIT: there may be more recent changes (positive), yesterday/today, but can't really pick that apart from just observation
Post edited by olliereport on

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rumour has it part of it was dropping cogent
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whatever the reason, Kudos to the Devs for having taken this issue seriously!

For every 10 "The Devs are so lazy!" comment, they deserve to hear, at least once, that they did something right. :D
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cogent is a terrible company, and has been throttling band width from certain ISP in different regions for years. The last for I have read at least ten articles on Cogent fighting with Verizon, Netflix, and other ISPs. They give you the required speeds but dump the packets is what i have read and understood, but I am ignorant of such things so i can be confused.
    320x240.jpg
  • ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rumour has it part of it was dropping cogent
    Yah, not sure when or any specifics, but tracerts I did yesterday didn't show any sign of Cogent compared to the day before and it looks like the rumor may be true. Here's hoping...

I also noticed a considerable improvement in service across the board. Sporadic SERVER NOT RESPONDING (but less often and for smaller timeframes than before), occasional DCs (again, far less often), and a lot less lag and rubberbanding than just 2 days ago.
    simeion1 wrote: »
    Cogent is a terrible company, and has been throttling band width from certain ISP in different regions for years. The last for I have read at least ten articles on Cogent fighting with Verizon, Netflix, and other ISPs. They give you the required speeds but dump the packets is what i have read and understood, but I am ignorant of such things so i can be confused.

The only time I personally ever noticed or was impacted by their pi$$ poor service was when playing STO. No other game or streaming Netflix or anything else seemed to be affected for me (that's not to say it didn't affect others), but it's still a noticeable and welcome change.

If Cryptic/PWE really did finally dump Cogent, THANK YOU!!!
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited May 2015
    interesting

I think there's probably also been some cumulative effect from the small changes they've made to abilities

pretty hard to see, every pve que game is with different players using different ships/traits/specs/etc, and the server and net loads are constantly changing ...... but it seems like there's some positive change, visible from my perspective anyway, which is cool
  • ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just did a tracert to see and Cogent's still being utilized. :( But, based off what's being discussed and results displayed around the forums, they made changes to the network and they're apparently positive changes. There is a noticeable improvement between now and 2 days ago. Still have SNRs, DCs, and lag, but nowhere near how it has been for months. If they're anticipating and accommodating player load on the servers and networks, it's working however they're doing it.

I'd still like to not see Cogent rearing its ugly head on my tracerts though... :rolleyes:
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ovrkyl wrote: »

I also noticed a considerable improvement in service across the board. Sporadic SERVER NOT RESPONDING (but less often and for smaller timeframes than before), occasional DCs (again, far less often), and a lot less lag and rubberbanding than just 2 days ago.

The only time I personally ever noticed or was impacted by their pi$$ poor service was when playing STO. No other game or streaming Netflix or anything else seemed to be affected for me (that's not to say it didn't affect others), but it's still a noticeable and welcome change.

If Cryptic/PWE really did finally dump Cogent, THANK YOU!!!

Here is a article that will explain why some Verizon uses was having issues. I had a friend swap ISP to get out of there pissing matches. I have also seen Charter and Comcast stories realted to cogent not dealing with there end.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/verizon-and-cogent-settle-differences-agree-to-boost-internet-quality/
    320x240.jpg
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I noticed more, not less SNR's and disconnections in these last 2 days. Worse, when I get thrown out, I can't log back in for hours. After I get DC'ed, all I ever see is "Star Trek online the Iconian war" with the "material files reloaded" and then, insta-crash. When I get DC'ed, I used to be able to get back in the game, even in the same queue event if it's still going on. Now if I get DC'ed, I can look forward to an AFK penalty and get thrown out of queues. A rather minor inconvenience to me, but I don't like being told I did something wrong when it's their incompetence that threw me out of the game to begin with.

I am not calling this an improvement at least until they clean up the "material files reloaded" insta-crash
  • sabouma1979sabouma1979 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I too do not see this as an improvement, as I am being kicked out of the game more often than before...
    edited May 2015
    I'm not sure what influences those, unfortunately, probably a myriad of issues

in general I was talking about the game killing lag when playing with other people

it effectively shut down the whole dps league for a while, the channel traffic is still a bit slow, but improved

ground combat was "rediscovered", the lag was less there,

I can see how ground can be kind of fun, but at the heart of it, it's a ship game, the ship stuff needs to work
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I;ve noticed a major difference in the games performance as well. I can run isa now with no lag or rubber banding which is nice.

I guess all those A-holes saying it was our machines, our internet providers, its an error at our end, moaning about us highlighting issues with the game.

well......

WE TOLD YOU SO
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've have had a major increase in lag and especially rubberbanding. It's gone from very occasionally occurring to very fequently almost constant at times on missions, sector space, ground maps etc..

Have the laggy and non-laggy switched places after their network changes?

:confused:

Edit to add:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms x.x.x.x
    2 24 ms 23 ms 24 ms x.x.x.x
    3 27 ms 27 ms 25 ms G0-6-0-0.LSANCA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.4
    6.2]
    4 27 ms 24 ms 24 ms ae0-0.LAX01-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.22.2
    46]
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 89 ms 89 ms 89 ms 0.ae2.GW15.BOS4.ALTER.NET [140.222.231.203]
    7 92 ms 92 ms 92 ms internap-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.134.214]

8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 98 ms 93 ms 103 ms perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.
    61.78]
    10 94 ms 94 ms 94 ms patchserver2.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

Trace complete.

:(

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
    edited May 2015
    kimony wrote: »
    Have the laggy and non-laggy switched places after their network changes?

that would be so effed up, maybe it's like brownouts, the lag rotates

I don't know, it's only been a short time, the story isn't over, it's not even gone, it's just less ... ish

I'm just happy to play a few space pve que games again