Install Arc
Options

House of Pegh Reveiw with Spoilers

Comments

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    But if it was a guy saying the same thing you would have shrugged and not even cared. Execpt instead of saying that the text was too much you focused right on the lgbt thing. Yeah you didn't have an issue with the "bull-TRIBBLE".

Having romantically involved people work on a military operation together is stupid for so many reasons. Regulations typically prohibit such relationships anyways. It's also COMPLETELY out of character/culture for Klingon's. See my previous response on 'Klingon Love.'

If it had been Male/Female it would have still been stupid, irrelevant, and totally opposed to everything we've ever seen about Klingon culture.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    None of that makes any sense whatsoever.

Okay take the lgbt thing out of it. You need a counter point to the whole"it's a great idea with zero consequences to our actions, just do what the plot hardened admiral says and not worry about it."

Except you can' t because no Klingon would care about it if they were a true Klingon warrior. Death in battle is what you crave. So now you have to give a Klingon a leery to be concerned about a plan which may lead to a team wipe.

Enter the idea that the idea is bad not because you care about your safety but for the safety of another on your team, all of whom are also Klingon warriors. Love is probably the best plot device and has been usec in Star Trek from the beginning.

So basic Star Trek story telling. The only differnce is, that instead of a white man kissing a black woman as a plot device, you simply had a woman being another woman's mate.

What I find interesting is that this whole conversation happened when Kirk kissed Uhura with a bunch of people pissed at Roddenberry for cramming it down peoples throats.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But if it was a guy saying the same thing you would have shrugged and not even cared. Execpt instead of saying that the text was too much you focused right on the lgbt thing. Yeah you didn't have an issue with the "bull-TRIBBLE".

If it was a guy saying it it'd still be a Klingon special operative not behaving in a professional manner regardless. It was unnecessary to the story other than someone wanting to shoehorn in some SJW points. If it were just two women and one was overly protective, well okay whatever. But a writer decides 'lets be edgy!' and decided that a point needed to be made out of the blue. Show the two of them hanging out together on Risa maybe one of them throwing things and the other reading poetry and ducking, nobody cares, but because someone felt it needed to be specifically brought up, it turns into this nonsense.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Having romantically involved people work on a military operation together is stupid for so many reasons. Regulations typically prohibit such relationships anyways. It's also COMPLETELY out of character/culture for Klingon's. See my previous response on 'Klingon Love.'

If it had been Male/Female it would have still been stupid, irrelevant, and totally opposed to everything we've ever seen about Klingon culture.

Say what... really, because we never say Worf ever been concerned for his mate, and really that's about as far into Klingon relationships that we really ever got.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If it was a guy saying it it'd still be a Klingon special operative not behaving in a professional manner regardless. It was unnecessary to the story other than someone wanting to shoehorn in some SJW points. If it were just two women and one was overly protective, well okay whatever. But a writer decides 'lets be edgy!' and decided that a point needed to be made out of the blue. Show the two of them hanging out together on Risa maybe one of them throwing things and the other reading poetry and ducking, nobody cares, but because someone felt it needed to be specifically brought up, it turns into this nonsense.

Which is exactly what Star Trek has been doing for years, being edgy. The Kirk/Uhura kiss really had no reason other then to be edgy either other then great plot, and it exposed just as many bigots then as this is doing now.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    so Anyone Disagreeing With You Now Is A Bigot? Uhm, No. First Of All, I Simply Don't Care Who Does What With Whom, Be They Heterosexual Or Homosexual Or Robosexual. I Just Didn't See The Need To Mention This At All In The Story As It Serves No Real Purpose.

Being Able To Spot Bad Story Writing Doesn't Make Someone A Bigot.

A-f*cking-men!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    So anyone disagreeing with you now is a bigot? Uhm, no. First of all, I simply don't care who does what with whom, be they heterosexual or homosexual or robosexual. I just didn't see the need to mention this at all in the story as it serves no real purpose.

Being able to spot bad story writing doesn't make someone a bigot.

99% of storyteling doesn't need to happen. Basically we didn't even need to go to the ship at all. We could have done the same with"ugh kill those, click that, kill those, click that" and done all that was "necessary" anything else is just fluff and plot devices.

The fact that you didn't like the writing is fine, the fact that you have such a huge issue with the lgbt aspect does make you a bigot, yes. The fact that of all the horrible writing plots that occured in that episode, you zoom right in on the lgbt thing is kind of bigoted yes. I can easily name a bunch of other wacked out things, from the horrible magic reactor that the iconian just happned to be standing under that you could redirect it like a phaser, to the fact that Kahless magically shows up for no reason, etc etc, you need to make a huge deal out of a lgbt thing that really didn't matter. Yes. Bigot.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    99% of storyteling doesn't need to happen. Basically we didn't even need to go to the ship at all. We could have done the same with"ugh kill those, click that, kill those, click that" and done all that was "necessary" anything else is just fluff and plot devices.

The fact that you didn't like the writing is fine, the fact that you have such a huge issue with the lgbt aspect does make you a bigot, yes. The fact that of all the horrible writing plots that occured in that episode, you zoom right in on the lgbt thing is kind of bigoted yes. I can easily name a bunch of other wacked out things, from the horrible magic reactor that the iconian just happned to be standing under that you could redirect it like a phaser, to the fact that Kahless magically shows up for no reason, etc etc, you need to make a huge deal out of a lgbt thing that really didn't matter. Yes. Bigot.

Don't mind me I'm just screenshotting this for my class on 'Morons who think they're doing LGBT people a favor by being bigots themselves towards people who disagree with them.' :rolleyes:

Your points are extremely flawed, going to the ship and meeting in secret without people overhearing served a purpose. You'd also want to meet the people your fighting along side. I presume kahless came from a KDF story-arc which I'm not up to date on currently. The story may have several issues but this was the most glaringly obvious, that's why we focussed on it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Ok, so just so we all understand, you're flaming me and calling me a bigot? I want to be sure so there's no misunderstanding when I report your post.

Flaming you no, Calling you and a few others a bigot. Yes absolutly. Go ahead and report me, I'll take the ban to call you out.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Flaming you no, Calling you and a few others a bigot. Yes absolutly. Go ahead and report me, I'll take the ban to call you out.

I've officially run out of facepalms for you... An ACTUAL member of the LGBT community is right here saying your an idiot and yet you persist.

Well I think I'll go find something more profitable to do with my words like telling politicians what we want. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ok heres my issues with the the two ladies in question

Why did cryptic find in necaassary to shove this in our faces i mean real life media does enough of that in everyday life but to come here and have it done again?

Now i know some of you dont understand but i was brought up to mind my own damn business and peoples personal lives is not my damn business unless its crammed in my face AND MADE MY BUSINESS!!!:mad:

so they are TRIBBLE well whoopdidy doo da so is millions of other REAL people its not a damn issue and i think we got the point the first time in spin the wheel.

ENOUGH!!! im so tired of having peoples personal lives and choices rammed in my face by those just trying to cash in on it.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wait, that Klingon said, "mate" so I figured they were Australian. Damn. There I go not being hip again.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    People getting all riled up about a TRIBBLE couple in ST...

I don't want to live on this on this planet anymore...

It's called fleshing out a fictional world. That's its purpose, if you're looking for some.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »

It's called fleshing out a fictional world. That's its purpose, if you're looking for some.

It true. Not wanting to live on this planet anymore is pretty riled up. Gotta agree with you on that.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    wrong thread
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »

Long as humanity is this way, we are SO totally not ready to ever meet another alien civilization with our prejudiced notions. Such a pity, we've come so far as a species, yet not.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I was there. I know what Gene Roddenberry envisioned. He went on at length about it in almost every meeting. He wasn't about technology, he was about envisioning a world that works for everyone, with no one and nothing left out. Gene Roddenberry was one of the great Social Justice Warriors. You don't get to claim him or his show as a shield of virtue for a cause he would have disdained.

Most of the stories we wrote were about social justice. "The Cloud Minders," "A Taste Of Armageddon," "Errand Of Mercy," "The Apple," "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield," and so many more. We did stories that were about exploring the universe not just because we could build starships, but because we wanted to know who was out there, what was our place in the universe, and what could we learn from the other races out there?

Star Trek was about social justice from day one -- the stories were about the human pursuit for a better world, a better way of being, the next step up the ladder of sentience. The stories weren't about who we were going to fight, but who we were going to make friends with. It wasn't about defining an enemy -- it was about creating a new partnership. That's why when Next Gen came along, we had a Klingon on the bridge.

Lehman blew it. He missed the point. He uses science fiction -- and Star Trek -- as a justification for playing a game of "us" v. "them."

Here's a clue. When you divide humanity into us and them, you automatically become one of them.

The continuing denigration of women and minorities as "the Social Justice Warrior Glittery Hoo Ha crowd" leaves me wondering ... are you folks in favor of social injustice?

If you're against "the Social Justice Warrior Glittery Hoo Ha crowd" then we to wonder if you're in favor of the denial of civil rights to women, blacks, LGBT, immigrants, and other minorities?

Because if that's what you stand for -- a return to the days of sexism, racism, misogyny, and discrimination -- then you really shouldn't be pointing to Star Trek as your inspiration. Because that's not what Star Trek was about. Honest. I was there.

-- Source

And if you don't recognize the name, maybe this will help.
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Long as humanity is this way, we are SO totally not ready to ever meet another alien civilization with our prejudiced notions. Such a pity, we've come so far as a species, yet not.

I wouldn't worry. I'm sure that alien species will be just as bigoted as the rest of us...
    and just as understanding of our fallacies. :P
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hah, Iconians are already losing their plot armor...dude goes all Leeroy with a sword against one and it doesn't vape him with a flick of the wrist like before.

Next time, we'll get to kill one. Never send an NPC to do a Player's job. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, we're not ready to meet tolerant aliens like.....Klingons.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, we're not ready to meet tolerant aliens like.....Klingons.

rectification:

Yeah, we're not ready to meet aliens.

humans are too primitive
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    You thinking the Klingons being TRIBBLE was irrelevant to the story doesn't really make you a bigot. It makes you a moron who doesn't know how SF universes work, it's called development, it's part of fleshing out the universe and telling a story. Sure it may not have been relevant to the mission at hand but it was relevant to developing Klingons.

Bloody Hell, some people :rolleyes:.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nimbull wrote: »
    I loved the episode, no complaints at all. :)

Me too, like the previous it was well done.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.