Options

This is getting ridiculous Cryptic!!!

floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
"Cryptic Launcher Auto update

Trying to update the Launcher
Please be patient.
Tried connecting 5 times"

"Connection problem!

Unable to establish connection to patch server.Please check your internet connection. If problem persists,please contact technical support."

This........for 2 WEEKS in a row!!:mad:

This hit me as couple weeks ago,and after everything I tried (manually downloading the latest launcher,disabling firewall etc),something broke and I had to uninstall and reinstall the game.On 25th it finally finished downloading and I was able to play for a bit.I logged off and then next day,BOOM...THIS S**T AGAIN!!!:mad:

Now obviously my internet is fine,I'm posting this message after all,so the obvious problem is cryptic.Not PWE,as arc loads fine and so does star conflict.

So cryptic,any intention of letting me play???:mad::mad:
Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by floppytechie on

Comments

• Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the standard cryptic launcher uses some of your webbrowsers shared.

so maybe your browser is outdated or something like .net is missing or sth. maybe your firewall is blocking the launcher accidentally (eg when a launcher update arrives the new version may be autoblocked)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    davideight wrote: »
    the standard cryptic launcher uses some of your webbrowsers shared.

so maybe your browser is outdated or something like .net is missing or sth. maybe your firewall is blocking the launcher accidentally (eg when a launcher update arrives the new version may be autoblocked)

Nope,my firewall is disabled (for now) but I did try your suggestion,(re)installed the latest google chrome,rebooted computer and tried again......no luck :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Nope,my firewall is disabled (for now) but I did try your suggestion,(re)installed the latest google chrome,rebooted computer and tried again......no luck :(

Well that may be your problem; I've found many game launchers like this hook into IE, and Google seems to hijack all sorts of TRIBBLE on your system and causes some launchers to have issues.

Might not be the problem but it's worth removing chrome and installing the latest IE to see if it helps, you never know.
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Have you tried as a work around going into my computer, opening up STO directory and dragging the STO launcher to desktop to try and load through without Arc.
    I know you said Arc isn't the issue as the msg you are getting is the STO launcher and to get that far Arc must load, but it may just may help at least i hope it does.
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Also if you haven't already done so add an exception to whatever anti-virus software you are running as they sometimes see the launchers as a problem and block it, even if it was working okay with it in the past updates to the AV software change how viruses are detected and so trap good programs when they didn't before.

Either way hope you get this resolved soon.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    belidos wrote: »
    Well that may be your problem; I've found many game launchers like this hook into IE, and Google seems to hijack all sorts of TRIBBLE on your system and causes some launchers to have issues.

Might not be the problem but it's worth removing chrome and installing the latest IE to see if it helps, you never know.

Arc only uses 1 IE plugin:

Name ArcPluginIEBHO Class
    Publisher Perfect World Entertainment, Inc.
    Status Disabled
    Architecture 32-bit
    Load time (0,03 s)
    Navigation time (0,28 s)

You can disable that (like I did :D), but I doubt it has any bearing on the OP's inability to connect (iirc, the ArcPluginIEBHO Class plugin is more like a helper object to start certain Arc features in IE from within the Arc launcher).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Arc only uses 1 IE plugin:

Name ArcPluginIEBHO Class
    Publisher Perfect World Entertainment, Inc.
    Status Disabled
    Architecture 32-bit
    Load time (0,03 s)
    Navigation time (0,28 s)

You can disable that (like I did :D), but I doubt it has any bearing on the OP's inability to connect (iirc, the ArcPluginIEBHO Class plugin is more like a helper object to start certain Arc features in IE from within the Arc launcher).

Except we're not talking about the Arc launcher here, the problem is when the actual game launcher tries to load.
  • Options
    stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I know the issue you speak of. Selecting a proxy server helps somewhat.

The problem however is not really on your end. If you check the route the packets go, you'll discover that they get dropped or time out. Its a case of bandwidth throttling. You might want to try it at different hours and you will notice a pattern at which times (depends on your time zone) you will be unable to connect (or get massive lag) and at what times it will work.

Even if it does update, keep an eye on the background graphics of your launcher. If the image in the background loads really, really slow, well, chances are you will get crazy lag ingame - thanks to routing issues/throttling.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    what does the tracert say?
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    OK guys,thanks for the replies. I tried uninstalling chrome and installing IE.....nothing.Tried disabling antivirus for a while......nothing.As for the throttling part,I'm In India,so I don't really put much stock in tracerts.

As a last resort,tried the "Repair Arc" stuff.......guess what?It uninstalled both STO and Star Conflict!!:confused: Talk about a final slap in the face.....

I guess this is the new grind in town....the grind TO SIMPLY LOG KRIFFING IN!:mad:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    OK guys,thanks for the replies. I tried uninstalling chrome and installing IE.....nothing.Tried disabling antivirus for a while......nothing.As for the throttling part,I'm In India,so I don't really put much stock in tracerts.

As a last resort,tried the "Repair Arc" stuff.......guess what?It uninstalled both STO and Star Conflict!!:confused: Talk about a final slap in the face.....

I guess this is the new grind in town....the grind TO SIMPLY LOG KRIFFING IN!:mad:

Doesn't matter if you trust trace routes or not, those along with path pings can show any network issues if any.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited May 2015

What does being in India have to do with you not wanting to look at tracert. Tracert (As well as pathping) can be useful tools for figuring out where an issue is occurring between you and a remote server.
  • Options
    tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Connection issue is an ISP issue and has little to do with Cryptic. It has to do with your location and the path to connect to the cryptic servers.

This can be affected by many things, including environmental. Flooding in an area can slow or throw off connections because things have to be re-rooted, or it is just down. Remember not every place in the USA is all underground cable...many places still have above ground lines because it was easier to lay.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    what does the tracert say?

Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding?
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    did you try flushing your DNS?

in Windows 7:
    Start-->All Programs-->Accessories--> Right click on Command Prompt and click 'Run As Administrator'

at the command prompt type 'ipconfig/flushdns'

then try running the launcher

it usually works for me unless the server is screwed up or my isp is screwed up
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Go browse how to uninstall Chrome first.

And do yourself a favor and never re-install it. Chrome is garbage.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "Slap in the face"

everyone take a drink.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I had this problem when my VPN was active.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Go browse how to uninstall Chrome first.

And do yourself a favor and never re-install it. Chrome is garbage.

Amen to that. It is a glorified shopping app and has no business pretending to be anything but. Real friends don't let thier friends use Chrome.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Except we're not talking about the Arc launcher here, the problem is when the actual game launcher tries to load.

Zactly! :) I was merely pointing out there's only 1 hook into IE, and that comes from Arc; so as to say blaming Chrome for this (albeit a piece of fei-oo), is kinda silly.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    askray wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if you trust trace routes or not, those along with path pings can show any network issues if any.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1473221

Tracert data.....

Now can anyone help me? :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015

Your ISP (vsl.net.in) hates you.
    Plus London hates you.
    And as always Cogento hates you all.

Ok just to offer some practical help. Tata is throttling you, eg. throwing away your packets. I would advise to torrent less in the coming month. Or watch TRIBBLE in SD instead for a few months.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    bernatk wrote: »
    Your ISP (vsl.net.in) hates you.
    Plus London hates you.
    And as always Cogento hates you all.

Ok just to offer some practical help. Tata is throttling you, eg. throwing away your packets. I would advise to torrent less in the coming month. Or watch TRIBBLE in SD instead for a few months.

So......what do i do to solve it?:( (i cant change isp though,this one pretty much has monopoly over the area in which i live)

No torrent while sto is on,and no p**n (i like to keep myself as far from it as possible,thank you very much :rolleyes:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chilleechillee Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Google/Chrome: the REAL Evil Empire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    unsacredgraveunsacredgrave Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Zactly! :) I was merely pointing out there's only 1 hook into IE, and that comes from Arc; so as to say blaming Chrome for this (albeit a piece of fei-oo), is kinda silly.

sorry but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. you have no idea how that launcher works. you think that stupid arc browser plugin is where arc "hooks into IE" LOL wtf... why not leave a thread alone where you are not able to help...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    sorry but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. you have no idea how that launcher works. you think that stupid arc browser plugin is where arc "hooks into IE" LOL wtf... why not leave a thread alone where you are not able to help...

Hostile much?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    unsacredgraveunsacredgrave Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So......what do i do to solve it?:( (i cant change isp though,this one pretty much has monopoly over the area in which i live)

No torrent while sto is on,and no p**n (i like to keep myself as far from it as possible,thank you very much :rolleyes:)

hm, you could try to use a VPN. there are tons of vpn Providers in murrica, you can Google for one and try to get a test account there. than you Setup your vpn, and try playing sto. this should route your sto traffic through the vpn.

maybe there are peering issues, or your isp is throttling you like someone else here said. hard to tell tbh. I would try a vpn solution for testing.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    hm, you could try to use a VPN. there are tons of vpn Providers in murrica, you can Google for one and try to get a test account there. than you Setup your vpn, and try playing sto. this should route your sto traffic through the vpn.

maybe there are peering issues, or your isp is throttling you like someone else here said. hard to tell tbh. I would try a vpn solution for testing.

Thats worth a try,i have a vpn subscription anyway(for watching netflix:D),never thought to use it with sto,ill try and see if it helps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    x1c3c0ldxx1c3c0ldx Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Now obviously my internet is fine,I'm posting this message after all,so the obvious problem is cryptic.Not PWE,as arc loads fine and so does star conflict.

:mad::mad:

That's not really a correct statement.
    All services use different ports to communicate.
    And since you are the only one experiencing this issue
    I would bet the problem is on your end.
    WqFWUHg.png
  • Options
    jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    10% per hour on updater, usually its done within 5minutes.

150mb fibre line and its downloading at less than 1mb/s.