test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Craft one Crit D x3 after 100 attempts...yay!!!!

lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
I managed to craft ONE Crit D x3 beam after making 100 of them, and ONE Crit Dx2 Crit H, the rest.......useless garbage.

I'm just celebrating. 400 more to craft for a whole set.
Post edited by lingeringsoul888 on

Comments

• sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    see you in 1000 beams
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd laugh if I started upgrading it and it gave me a DMG modifier....................no........laugh wouldn't be the right word........
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I managed to craft ONE Crit D x3 beam after making 100 of them, and ONE Crit Dx2 Crit H, the rest.......useless garbage.

I'm just celebrating. 400 more to craft for a whole set.

That's roughly my success rate as well, it takes forever.

The plus side is that those mark II beams are a dime a dozen to craft, it's just boring doing it over and over again.

I actually get [CritD]x2 [CritH] quite a bit, I throw those right up on the exchange.

Sometimes you get CritDx2 with PEN mod.. those sell for a lot as well. If you get one of those you can usually sell it for enough to buy 1 or 2 CritDx3 Beams off the exchange.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited May 2015
    which one is better? crit D x2 pen or Crit D x2 Crit H?

I only ever managed to make Crit D Crit H Pen, are those popular at all?

I've thrown away most of the DMG ones, or the double ACC

I'm just thankful the Mark II beams cost next to nothing to make, otherwise, I wouldn't even bother starting.
    edited May 2015
    my goal is to have a set of

DBB AP, Disruptor and plasma
    Beam array AP, disruptor and plasma

ready for the end of year anniversary event to start harvesting the omega upgrades until my hands bleed.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the problem with crtdx3 is than you have more chance of having a crappy mod during the upgrade. a weapon with already 2 mods has less chance, but it happens; after xxxxxxx attemps, i get finally a weapon with crtdx2 pen, i upgrade the weapon; and badaboom crtdx2 pen dmg, ready for the trash :mad:
  • plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My very first dual AP bank came with CrtDx3 and went straight to epic x4 when it reached XIV, everything after that was just garbage... so much for statistics :D
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Why do you have to go for triple CrtD ... ? Isn't double already quite good? DPS isn't everything in this game. I am very happy with my purrple MK XIV reputation weapons Acc and double CrtD ... why throw out hundreds of thousands or millions of EC or dilithium or time (worst of all) to craft triple CrtD's? I'd even prefer an "Over" in a beam or a "Rapid" in a cannon weapon. What good use is critical severity when you don't have enuff base accuracy? You will miss a lot more and all that critical severity bonus goes out the window.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the problem with crtdx3 is than you have more chance of having a crappy mod during the upgrade. a weapon with already 2 mods has less chance, but it happens; after xxxxxxx attemps, i get finally a weapon with crtdx2 pen, i upgrade the weapon; and badaboom crtdx2 pen dmg, ready for the trash :mad:

I find it wasteful to try and upgrade CritDx2 weapons in the hopes of getting x3.

The chances you're going to get that 3rd critical modifier are slim and if you don't, you waste resources upgrading a weapon you're not going to keep. Mark II weapons are cheap to make, I just keep making the Mark II until I get CritDx3 and then I start upgrading.

The Crit mod is what I want, so even if I get damage or something useless for the 4th mod, I can still use the weapon. If I get really lucky and get a 4th CritD (only happened to me once) I actually sell it. The CritDx4 is nice, but people pay 40M+ for those things. The last one I made bought me a Plasmonic Leech that did much more for me then an extra 20% Crit on one of my weapons.

When my characters first hit 50 I'll take CritDx2 beams that I make and just upgrade them to Mark XII. I roll with those until I can make a set of x3 that I take to Mk XIV. I don't think I ever once managed to get a CritDx2 to CritDx3 during the upgrade process. I always get terrible mods. :mad:
    Why do you have to go for triple CrtD ... ? Isn't double already quite good? DPS isn't everything in this game. I am very happy with my purrple MK XIV reputation weapons Acc and double CrtD ... why throw out hundreds of thousands or millions of EC or dilithium or time (worst of all) to craft triple CrtD's? I'd even prefer an "Over" in a beam or a "Rapid" in a cannon weapon. What good use is critical severity when you don't have enuff base accuracy? You will miss a lot more and all that critical severity bonus goes out the window.

Unfortunately, DPS is everything in this game. The Acc Mod is desired in PvP, but is useless in PVE. You don't miss anyway, so bonus accuracy does little for you. The best you get from ACC is that once your ACC gets over 100% it contributes to Critical chance and damage. But that bonus doesn't stack with FAW, Scatter Volley, etc. CritDx3 gives you an extra 20% critical over x2 on each weapon and stacks with FAW and other abilities. Taking all your weapons from CritDx2 to x3 gives you a rather large overall DPS increase. That's why they're so desired.

CritDX4 Beams go for 40-50M each if you can believe that.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    [crtd]x3 or 4, [crtd]x2 or 3 [pen], [acc]x2 or 3, these have all sole well for me.

Heck, I even keep [acc] [crtd]x2 or 3 [pen], when crafted.

I am not a huge fan of the [crth] mod, as it just seems to low of a chance mod, to be of great value imo.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hence why I discovered very quickly, that crafting isn't really worth it.

I'll wait until I can choose mods.. ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why do you have to go for triple CrtD ... ? Isn't double already quite good?
    It is, but don't forget Rule of Acquisition 242. More is good. All is better. :)
    edited May 2015
    You sure about that? As far as i know you cant tank or heal so yeah dps IS everything in this game.

yes sure, you can heal yourself, but with these new foe don't even try to heal the other players. And yes, DPS is everything, this is why i change the build of my sci captain, i need more firepower to fight the heralds; grav well etc are cool, but they have also longer cd. btw, my current sci build -> 17500 dps, and even in normal stfs (grethor, herald sphere), this is not enough.

DPS is life, in STO.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    DPS Brings Victory, And Victory is Life!
    edited May 2015
    OMG I got a radiant AP turret today, Crit Dx3

AND I CANT SELL THIS S HIT ON THE EXCHANGE!!!!!!! :(
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why do you have to go for triple CrtD ... ? Isn't double already quite good? DPS isn't everything in this game.

DPS is king...everything else is secondary, at least in my experience. It's just the design of the game. Regardless I think you missed the mark on what the point the OP was trying to make.

It shows just how crafting is horribly inefficient and a waste of time/money/resources/bother etc. The entire system never made any sense to me and the word 'crafting' is a very loose term in this game.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I managed to craft ONE Crit D x3 beam after making 100 of them
    Actually, it's not a bad a result - I have crafted something like 200 DBB in the last week, and not a single one was CrtDx3 :D
    The theory of probability can really play some nasty tricks on you while crafting with the current chances
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What I miss was the whole 'you found a purple mk XII item' thing that was really toned down since S7, when they introduced the rep system. Sometimes playing through the borg stfs you got the particular bit of salvage for the special gear, but now it's just a matter of how much rep marks and dilth you've got to spend.

The crafting revamp had some good qualities but a lot of bad stuff too, including the RNG being annoying. Let's add a bunch of crafting only mods that don't bring anything good to the table! I mean at least now you can sort of control what mods you finally end up with, but by control I really mean 'keep plugging away until you get CrtDx3 or CrtDx2 with Pen or Acc or CrtH. Oh and if you upgrade it and get dmg haha start again'. :v
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    re: DPS is everything....

..ok, maybe it is. But, other than chasing the Big DPS Numbers, what content in the game needs the extra DPS gained by going from CrtDx2/(other useful mod) to CrtDx3? Let alone trying to stack CrtDx4.

Seems like it's mostly a competitiveness/ego/"keeping up with the Jones' " thing. Not actually needed for gameplay. (But maybe that's just because I've never been a big min/maxer.... :P)

edit: on the other hand, if that's what you enjoy doing in a game, go for it! :D
    edited May 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »

..ok, maybe it is. But, other than chasing the Big DPS Numbers, what content in the game needs the extra DPS gained by going from CrtDx2/(other useful mod) to CrtDx3? Let alone trying to stack CrtDx4.

Seems like it's mostly a competitiveness/ego/"keeping up with the Jones' " thing. Not actually needed for gameplay. (But maybe that's just because I've never been a big min/maxer.... :P)

edit: on the other hand, if that's what you enjoy doing in a game, go for it! :D

New Elites do.
    Also higher DPS helps clear easier content much faster, increasing the rate at which you can grind out marks, dil and crafting materials.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I think it comes down to the point that all of the modifiers arent as equally useful. If the devs balanced the impact of each of the modifiers, this wouldnt be an issue.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    you can still farm materials, it just comes with the hassle of playing the PvE queues on Advanced or Elite mode depending on the Purple Material you want.

I do miss the old way of farming, you'd go to a certain star cluster and could farm whatever common materials where guarenteed there. Blues were still a random drop but not too hard to get.

Now you have the play PvE lotto R&D box and the Z-store one where you're not guarenteed to get the materials you want or need.

So its all time gated on earning materials, time gated on levelling the schools, time gated on crafting the items, time gated to upgrade the items (if you want) any other gates i missed ?. Oh and other than levelling the schools the rest is random chance.

Cryptic do like their lotteries and random drops.
  • omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Also higher DPS helps clear easier content much faster, increasing the rate at which you can grind out marks, dil and crafting materials.

I understand this mentality, but where is the tipping point? At what point do you over-gear the content? Players say they spend all this EC/Dil/time to make the queues go faster, but how much faster does it need to be?

The difference between a MK XIV [crtd]x2 [crth] and a MK XIV [acc][crtd][crth] (for example) is small enough that most players should not care about it. The min-maxers are the only ones that should be striving for a rare set of perfect mods.
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Yeah, some players desire to max out their efficiency in all the things, and that's not a bad thing. If you enjoy it, go for it.

The problem is when that attitude turns from 'what I find fun' to 'everyone else should also do this'.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
    edited May 2015
    omgbamf00 wrote: »
    I understand this mentality, but where is the tipping point? At what point do you over-gear the content? Players say they spend all this EC/Dil/time to make the queues go faster, but how much faster does it need to be?

The difference between a MK XIV [crtd]x2 [crth] and a MK XIV [acc][crtd][crth] (for example) is small enough that most players should not care about it. The min-maxers are the only ones that should be striving for a rare set of perfect mods.

Uhmmm the difference between CrtD and CrtDx2 is very significant, and CrtDx3 and CrtDx4 are even more powerful.
    Its not just about min-maxing, it greatly adds to the combat peformance of your weapon, especially when crit stacking like a lot of people do these days.

And for an ability like Surgical Strikes, CrtDx4 is the be all and end all of weapons mods.
  • omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Uhmmm the difference between CrtD and CrtDx2 is very significant, and CrtDx3 and CrtDx4 are even more powerful.
    Its not just about min-maxing, it greatly adds to the combat peformance of your weapon, especially when crit stacking like a lot of people do these days.

My point is that you said players want these uber-beams so they can finish things faster. For what reason? To farm materials so they can create more uber-beams... so they can finish even faster... so they can create more uber-beams... so they can finish even faster... etc. Rather cyclic, eh?

And yes, the difference between [crtd] and [crtd]x2 is significant... to a minority of players. Why isn't it significant to the majority of players? Because these players are looking to have fun, and to most of them, chasing DPS isn't fun. You can have [acc]x4 (don't even know if that's possible, tbh) and still be able to complete all advanced content in the game. Will it take longer? Sure, but my guess is it will still be finished.
    edited May 2015
    nd to most of them, chasing DPS isn't fun.

I agree; i don't like the dps race, but when the mobs have huge hp and most of the stfs have timers, we don't have the choice. take gateway to grethor, in this stf there is 2 timers, if the optionals are a failure, you lose a significant number of marks.

In ISA, spheres have ridiculous hp, without dps, impossible to succeed the entire mission.
    the heralds vongh or phong!!! have also too many hp, even the baltrim raider has too many hp.

and the tholian ships in cca!!. even the mesh wavers have more hp than my Avenger

this game is not balanced. no damages = no optionals

if a lot players use the dps channels, this is not for the pleasure (at least for some of them :p), before DR, it was possible to pug easily in in the old ISE, now 75% chance of failure.

the stfs are not difficult, but mobs have so much hp, that we simply need firepower to destroy them with efficiency
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What he ^^ said.

Is it just me or does anyone else miss actually farming materials?

Yup it was one of the few things that actually kept me in game and not log in run 1 or 2 STFs maybe chat with fleetmates TRIBBLE and logout.

I used like farming R&D mats when the crafting system wasnt this goddarn lottery everything about cryptic now is money grabs and lottery.
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wouldn't mind a "preferred mod" kind of system.

Mark CrtD as what you want, have a higher chance to get it.

Still keeps the random aspect Cryptic wants to have for whatever reason, makes it a bit easier on the players.

Dil costs for upgrades should be cut in half though, it's absurd, and a /random/ dil sink isn't the dil sink I want.