test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic lost out on a big oppertunity

swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
TERA's apparently profitable because of swimwear.
From massively;

Kim says his studio didn’t expect the Elin race to be popular, that it was a “filler” race and a female version of the Popori. By the time the Japanese market requested swimsuits for the Elin, the American market had eclipsed it, but “the profit [Bluehole] made from this costume alone exceeded all the profit [Bluehole] made from all the swimming costumes for all races in Korea. […] They say school swimming suits, bloomers, and maid outfits are the 3 wonders in Japan. Maid costume was especially a big hit.” In fact, the Elin costumes made the free-to-play transition financially feasible. Kim also notes that TERA has performed best in North America.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/21/en-masse-says-that-tera-is-the-most-played-mmorpg-on-steam/

So, how about letting us wear swimsuits (or at least mix n' match tops and bottoms) for 100 zen?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    swamarian wrote: »
    TERA's apparently profitable because of swimwear.
    From massively;

Kim says his studio didn’t expect the Elin race to be popular, that it was a “filler” race and a female version of the Popori. By the time the Japanese market requested swimsuits for the Elin, the American market had eclipsed it, but “the profit [Bluehole] made from this costume alone exceeded all the profit [Bluehole] made from all the swimming costumes for all races in Korea. […] They say school swimming suits, bloomers, and maid outfits are the 3 wonders in Japan. Maid costume was especially a big hit.” In fact, the Elin costumes made the free-to-play transition financially feasible. Kim also notes that TERA has performed best in North America.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/21/en-masse-says-that-tera-is-the-most-played-mmorpg-on-steam/

So, how about letting us wear swimsuits (or at least mix n' match tops and bottoms) for 100 zen?

but then males will be too busy oogling female toons and trying to abuse them! We can't let the women dress up in binkis! What is this? TRIBBLE Trek Online???? No! IT'S STAR TREK ONLINE! where I can go explore strange new worlds and teach alien women how to love

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN????????!?!!?!?
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So, what I'm hearing is that you think they should sell a T5 Connie wearing a giant bikini.
    edited May 2015
    So, what I'm hearing is that you think they should sell a T5 Connie wearing a giant bikini.

*gasps* PERVERT!!!!

That's a fine lady, you sicko!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So, turning ship bridges into maid cafes?

That does sound like a moneymaker, especially when they add headbands for cat ears and add the tail unlock.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Still trying to figure out how to get the bikini to cover both the nacelles and the deflector dish, this isn't trivial work.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
    edited May 2015
    So, turning ship bridges into maid cafes?

That does sound like a moneymaker, especially when they add headbands for cat ears and add the tail unlock.

This sounds like a most delightful idea

but don't we already have kitties walking around ingame?
    nicha0 wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out how to get the bikini to cover both the nacelles and the deflector dish, this isn't trivial work.

don't you forget the shuttlebay you naughty boy, you
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    unfortunately scraping the bottom of the barrel and turning trek online to TRIBBLE online is always a possiblity, when lots of flesh is on display it always sells like that three letter word and a natural conclusion to a relationship.

no, this is star trek online, not star TRIBBLE online.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They need to add Swim wear Threads to the FCT.

I dearly hope they never do this. This is a game based on one of the best Sci-Fi franchises on our tiny worthless planet, not a game to help satisfy your Sexual fantasies.
    edited May 2015

Speak for yourself, you leather-clad stud you...

*drools at mirrorchaos's avatar*
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Making the swimsuits map-restricted, niche available curiosity pieces traded for event trinkets was the dumbest thing that was ever done to this game, and one of the dumbest things that was ever done to any game.

If I was in charge, they would've been either made freely usable and sold for real money or not made at all.
  • crusader0007crusader0007 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Does this mean we will get more swimwear for this summer event? :D
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited May 2015

No, no -- a Vulcan in a maid outfit, wearing a cat ears headband. Or a playboy bunny outfit complete with bunny ears and fuzzy tail. In whichever gender you prefer.

Yep, this could be monetized.
    edited May 2015
    No, no -- a Vulcan in a maid outfit, wearing a cat ears headband. Or a playboy bunny outfit complete with bunny ears and fuzzy tail. In whichever gender you prefer.

Yep, this could be monetized.

and don't forget, leather outfits for people like mirrorchaos
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    unfortunately scraping the bottom of the barrel and turning trek online to TRIBBLE online is always a possiblity, when lots of flesh is on display it always sells like that three letter word and a natural conclusion to a relationship.

I do believe this has already happened, on Drozsna.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    edited May 2015
    cidjack wrote: »

shhh, that place shall not be mentioned except in bathrooms of curious new teenagers whispering in awe of the forbidden place where if you go, your soul shall be lost forever, but man what a ride!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cidjack wrote: »

yes i know...

im also aware of the orions, but with the orions though, thats apart of established canon, i can not argue that, but in general i made this point before, federation captains should not be wearing swim wear on the bridge of their own ships, a federation captain is always professional and always has an image to maintain on behalf of starfleet and the federation as a whole and then there is the whole distraction of being barely contained and this would head into sexist country.. not going to get into that. romulan captains have never been shown to be in anything other than their military or official gear when on the job, no matter what.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Making the swimsuits map-restricted, niche available curiosity pieces traded for event trinkets was the dumbest thing that was ever done to this game, and one of the dumbest things that was ever done to any game.

If I was in charge, they would've been either made freely usable and sold for real money or not made at all.

Yeah, cause this game would feel so much more like Star Trek if we could have people fighting the borg in bikini or see people in swim wear get their promotion from admiral Quinn.

I understand that people who want stuff should be able to get it if it doesn't harm anyone else... but at the same time, you shouldn't pretend there wasn't a very good reason to restrict these kind of uniforms to Risa.
    edited May 2015
    Since were on this topic

I wanna take Taco Fangs to my quarters then... [REDACTED] slide my hands down to his... [REDACTED] then... [REDACTED] him until he [REDACTED] and then I'll... [REDACTED]
    his [REDACTED] then [REDACTED] onto his... [REDACTED] and pound his... [REDACTED].

Too much?
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Since were on this topic

I wanna take Taco Fangs to my quarters then... [REDACTED] slide my hands down to his... [REDACTED] then... [REDACTED] him until he [REDACTED] and then I'll... [REDACTED]
    his [REDACTED] then [REDACTED] onto his... [REDACTED] and pound his... [REDACTED].

Too much?

You were one [Redacted] short from being considered TRIBBLE :D
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015

To hell with kitties, I WANT PORTHOS!!!!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The last thing we need is for this game, one of the only respectable F2P mmos on the market, to suddenly drop its pants and moon the Star Trek franchise. If you want to run around in nothing but a bikini, make an Orion and be done with it already. I'm sure PWE would have no problem putting costumes like sexy schoolgirl, TRIBBLE maid, etc in the shop if they could get away with it, but they still have to hold themselves to the standard of the Star Trek franchise if they want to maintain their license to use Trek-related intellectual property.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
    edited May 2015
    aesica wrote: »
    The last thing we need is for this game, one of the only respectable F2P mmos on the market, to suddenly drop its pants and moon the Star Trek franchise. .

UHm i think JJ Abrams beat you to that assumption :D
    edited May 2015
    You were one [Redacted] short from being considered TRIBBLE :D

Can you blame me for wanting to... [REDACTED] him in his tight... [REDACTED]? [REDACTED] onto... [REDACTED] and then... [REDACTED] in his... [REDACTED] but I'll have to watch the fangs , I don't want to get a [REDACTED] Infection.
    edited May 2015
    Since were on this topic

Too much?

**faints**
    edited May 2015
    Can you blame me for wanting to... [REDACTED] him in his tight... [REDACTED]? [REDACTED] onto... [REDACTED] and then... [REDACTED] in his... [REDACTED] but I'll have to watch the fangs , I don't want to get a [REDACTED] Infection.

I stand corrected you have now crossed the line into TRIBBLE and not just any TRIBBLE but a taco related TRIBBLE.

Its official we will now call it

TRIBBLE Trek Online :D
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Are you all really trying pretend fanservice would be new to star trek... Gene himself made outfits more stripperiffic. Hell the page picture for thesis titillation theory is from TOS... Which is also the trope namer.

So no fanservice is actually against the one true way of star trek. :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    UHm i think JJ Abrams beat you to that assumption :D
    Bah, I enjoyed both installments of JJTrek. :( (Although for different reasons than I enjoy the main stuff)
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    Yeah, cause this game would feel so much more like Star Trek if we could have people fighting the borg in bikini or see people in swim wear get their promotion from admiral Quinn.

I understand that people who want stuff should be able to get it if it doesn't harm anyone else... but at the same time, you shouldn't pretend there wasn't a very good reason to restrict these kind of uniforms to Risa.
    You can fight Borg or talk to Quinn in a bikini. I've done it. The TOS mirror universe uniform that is. Too bad I can't wear it with shorts. Or on my Romulan.

And Orions of course can wear bikinis, but you can't talk to Quinn if you're one.

There was no good reason to restrict the ones sold on Risa. There might have been a good reason not to make them, if not for the fact that any random Orion could wear something just as revealing already (and for the record, I don't agree with species-restricting those outfits, either), but there was never a good reason to restrict them.
    edited May 2015
    aesica wrote: »
    Bah, I enjoyed both installments of JJTrek. :( (Although for different reasons than I enjoy the main stuff)

I think its cause im just an old school trekkie is why i never got into the JJverse ,anyways its a new trek for a new generation enjoy :)
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yes i know...

im also aware of the orions, but with the orions though, thats apart of established canon, i can not argue that, but in general i made this point before, federation captains should not be wearing swim wear on the bridge of their own ships, a federation captain is always professional and always has an image to maintain on behalf of starfleet and the federation as a whole and then there is the whole distraction of being barely contained and this would head into sexist country.. not going to get into that. romulan captains have never been shown to be in anything other than their military or official gear when on the job, no matter what.

I can understand where you are coming from, and I do tend to agree with you. I always like to have my Fed toons in a proper uniform. It is balancing act for Cryptic to make money while still honoring canon (as much as possible, don't read to much into this ppl, I wish not to derail the thread).

So far restricting the swimwear to Risa has been good, I for one would pass on putting school uniforms on my female alts.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
This discussion has been closed.