test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Using a 2409 Stardate for all characters

chepetico2chepetico2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User

Hello Everyone!

I had a suggestion I wanted to share with everyone. I've noticed in the tutorial the game is suppose to start in 2409 but the actual in game Stardate is actually in about 2414 or 2415 by this point. What does everyone think about setting a characters Stardate in 2409 so that all subsequent log entries would have the 'correct' Stardate?

Joe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Please leave comments or suggestions on the main thread for Homage to Galris at the following link.
Also feel free to check out some of my other projects at the following link.
Post edited by chepetico2 on

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think most players don't even know there is a stardate displayed anywhere in the game or that you can even write your own captain's log :D

I'm against fixing it to a certain point. I'd rather change the story itself - having 2415 makes way more sense then being stuck in 2410, especially with all the new ships that are permanently pushed out of the shipyards.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • chepetico2chepetico2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I recommend this apply to individual characters only. The game can continue to use it's Stardate but for log entries the Stardate can use the character creation date.

In regards to continuity issues the TOS writer's guide stated the following:

"We invented "Stardate" to avoid continually mentioning Star Trek's century (actually, about two hundred years from now), and getting into arguments about whether this or that would have developed by then. Pick any combination of four numbers plus a percentage point, use it as your story's stardate. For example, 1313.5 is twelve o'clock noon of one day and 1314.5 would be noon of the next day. Each percentage point is roughly equivalent to one-tenth of one day. The progression of stardates in your script should remain constant but don't worry about whether or not there is a progression from other scripts. Stardates are a mathematical formula which varies depending on location in the galaxy, velocity of travel, and other factors, can vary widely from episode to episode."

This feature would only matter to true nerds like you and me who pay attention to these kind of things. :D

Joe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please leave comments or suggestions on the main thread for Homage to Galris at the following link.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It is a bug to have the stardate progress in real time.

Events in missions take place at specific points. The game's timeline of events is deliberately supposed to take place over around 12-18 months. Setting the game beyond 2010 is not approved by CBS.

If anything, missions should probably be backdated to a more reasonable time distance but stardate is advanced only through storyline missions.

(Which is one reason I think the game's levels should have been stardate based rather than rank based with level caps around important events but whatever.)
    edited May 2015

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but if you notice the mission loading screen there is counter with the Stardate. If you go to any of the STO Stardate calculators online you'll note the date translates to about 2415 or so.

To your point, if Cryptic is limited to dates prior to 2410 then it makes even more sense to limit the Stardate to dates starting in 2409.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    chepetico2 wrote: »

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but if you notice the mission loading screen there is counter with the Stardate. If you go to any of the STO Stardate calculators online you'll note the date translates to about 2415 or so.

To your point, if Cryptic is limited to dates prior to 2410 then it makes even more sense to limit the Stardate to dates starting in 2409.

That counter was designed when the game launched. Later, Cryptic decided or was told they had to clear advances in the timeline through CBS. I honestly think they realizes the Nexus came back around in 2410 and decided to freeze the timeline's progress. Plus, in MMOs, time is typically linked to quest progress.

In any case, they have said that counter doesn't function as intended anymore (they explicitly set our entry to the Delta Quadrant at the start of 2410 last year) but that fixing the "real time" advancing stardate hasn't been a priority.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Meh... the original stardate system confused the heck out of me. The newer one adopted by the reboot movies reminds me of the system used in Wing Commander. Year.Day#

So... for example, 2629.105 = March 16, 2629
    BTW... for any Wingnuts out there... 2629.105 was First Contact between the Confederation and the Kilrathi. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Meh... the original stardate system confused the heck out of me. The newer one adopted by the reboot movies reminds me of the system used in Wing Commander. Year.Day#

So... for example, 2629.105 = March 16, 2629
    BTW... for any Wingnuts out there... 2629.105 was First Contact between the Confederation and the Kilrathi. :D

I think it is not very fitting for a secular alliance of many different species to use the birth of Christ in their universal calendar.

Dunno about Wing Commander, but for the Federation, something entirely new like the classic Stardates seem to be preferable from my point of view.
    Sure, they are confusing, but at least the system is not centered around a Terran religion.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I even suggest to move up to 2550 or even 2600.
    Reason?
    Well, as is right now, more shiptypes were released than there are days in a year, sorta speak.
    If we see the ships from the first days, and see them now, at least 1.5 up to 2 centuries would've passed.

Not to mention the events: you can't really say we held of the Klingons, the Borg, the Breen, Dominion, ... AND Iconians... all in 6 years...

That is mathematical impossible, we'd all be dead by the third encounter.
    We simply do not reproduce that fast.
    I mean ships ETC.
    It's not that we go to a replicator, and tell the thing to make us a USS Defiant, now do we...
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't let the date bother me, I really cant see why its that much of an issue.

as long as the storylines are played in a linear fashion as they are for the most part the date is irrelevant, its enough to know that this is some time in the future, the exact date is only a bother if you let it be.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited May 2015

So basically this is only a problem for ubernerds like myself. :(

Just kidding, guess I'll just ignore the dates, just gets distracting at times, like people plopping when they eat.

Joe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I think most players don't even know there is a stardate displayed anywhere in the game or that you can even write your own captain's log :D

Thing is...er...that stardate from those logs converts to "now time"...ie...2015.

Is there somewhere else?