test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Computer name in Facility 4028

jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
Given current affairs I think this should be renamed...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
Post edited by jackal1701apw on

Comments

• mycroft1701mycroft1701 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have a friend who named his daughter Isis (after the Egyptian goddess) ten years or so ago. Should he rename her?

The terrorist group don't and shouldn't have a monopoly on the name - in a way having the name Isis made into a taboo word is letting the terrorists win no?
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No. We've been over this before. The answer is still no.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Every time i read such things, i can only think of the movie Team America....

:rolleyes:
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And Charlie Chaplin needs to be banned because a certain Austrian Jew who became the ruler of Germany. I have news for the entire world. That toothbrush moustache is Charlie Chaplin's. It has always been Charlie Chaplin's thing, and it always will be. We are not going to ban it just because an idiot stole that style.

And as for Isis, that belongs to Egypt. In fact, she was actually one of the most important of all of Egypt's deities. And even today, she is still revered by many cults, most notably Wikka. For goodness's sake, even the Bajorans have a city named after Isis. We are not going ban that name just because a bunch of idiots decided to steal that name.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have a friend who named his daughter Isis (after the Egyptian goddess) ten years or so ago. Should he rename her?

The terrorist group don't and shouldn't have a monopoly on the name - in a way having the name Isis made into a taboo word is letting the terrorists win no?

Same argument could be made for the swastika which was appropriated by the TRIBBLE Party in the 1930's. However, in the West it is still stigmatised and is a taboo symbol.

I am just saying ISIS terminal this and ISIS terminal that made me feel uncomfortable. It's only a game and renaming the computer isn't that much effort.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The most important Egyptian diety was Sirius, hands down. It could kick Isis's in any fight
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hell no, when i replayed that on my Delta, i find it kinda amusing.

The best part was

"Reactivate ISIS" when you interact with the core.
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015

How about if we're going to start renaming things, we start with your name there...

...considering Jackal being the nickname for Ilich Ram
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Yes and while were at it, we should rename the S.S. Azura considering the second world war happened.
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Rofl... no!
    These horrible bunch of neo-barbarians will soon be gone and forgotten.
    Egyptian deities can stay!
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You stupid sheep amuse me....911 was an inside job.
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not to nitpick but...
    1. It is spelt Wicca.
    2. It is Osiris not Sirius.

If you don't like the initial ask the developers to use the full name (Inmate Security and Information System) instead
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lindaleff wrote: »
    And Charlie Chaplin needs to be banned because a certain Austrian Jew who became the ruler of Germany. I have news for the entire world. That toothbrush moustache is Charlie Chaplin's. It has always been Charlie Chaplin's thing, and it always will be. We are not going to ban it just because an idiot stole that style.

Oliver Hardy did it first, Charlie Chaplin was clean shaven in the early years of his caree.

I mean, yeah, Ollie will never be as notable as Chaplin, but he did help create the buddy comedy duo genre.
    edited May 2015
    They should rename it:
    Prisoner Information and Security System.

That would be much better...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited May 2015

They themselves already beat you to it. :) They're called IS now. That kinda name IS soon to show up elsewhere. Oh wait... :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The acronym of the name was probably picked specifically to reference Isis, who in turn was probably named for the Egyptian deity. Or maybe someone on the team is a fan of Archer, I forget how that timeline works out. Either way Cryptic used it before terrorists did, and IIRC they're not even using ISIS anymore. [EDIT: yep, thought so. IS now. Let's all change one of the most common words in the English and probably several other languages because baaaaaaaaaa!]

I should hope they're not going to honour terror by changing names in fear like good little infidel sheep.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How about ISIS change their name so the prisoner computer doesn't sue our TRIBBLE?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    I think not and also believe you should find much, much better things to do with your time.

needed a break. getting a dr through cardassian struggle is a ... struggle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How will doing that make any difference whatsoever? Do you feel offended because it's called ISIS for some reason? Care to enlighten me on that reason? The fact that it is called ISIS doesn't make it an Homage to terrorists, censorship doesn't fix anything.
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Egyptian Goddess wants the terrorist organization to change their name or she is going to sue.

And while we are on the subject, the snake wants the other terrorist group to change THEIR name too...unless they send pics of the Baroness...
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Another example of political correctness gone mad...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lindaleff wrote: »

And as for Isis, that belongs to Egypt. In fact, she was actually one of the most important of all of Egypt's deities. And even today, she is still revered by many cults, most notably Wikka. For goodness's sake, even the Bajorans have a city named after Isis. We are not going ban that name just because a bunch of idiots decided to steal that name.

This, so much. The moustache thing is also popular in Japanese fashion and has nothing to do with Germany's former tyrant. Also, are we gonna get on the case of former Free Space developers now because they added an Isis-class transport to their games in 1998?

Get real people, you are letting these TRIBBLE win that way, you know that right?
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2015
    Same argument could be made for the swastika which was appropriated by the TRIBBLE Party in the 1930's. However, in the West it is still stigmatised and is a taboo symbol.

Trivia note: The swastika wasn't just used in Swahili culture, but also in Native American (for the latter, see some of their handwoven rugs from the 19th Century) ... and, I think, prior to World War 1 by the Girl Scouts of America (I'm going by memory here; I may not be 100% correct). Up until the 1930s, it was seen as a good luck symbol. You can also see something like it on ancient Greek temples, one long horizontal series of these symbols one after the other all the way around on the level above the columns.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Ahh good, I hadn't had my mock internet outrage yet for the day.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I always wonder what one has to eat, drink or smoke to get such ideas...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015

you know just asking about it and linking it directly to that group means the rule about politics is broken. it wouldnt matter if it were yes or no.

But since you are insistent. if a man was named Benjamin Dover by his parents, would you want him to change his name because you shortend Benjamin to Ben? if a woman was named TRIBBLE Standing would you wish her to change her name because of her first name?

in all three there is one point in all that, you are overracting. we dont need the handholding culture on this game because of a cooincidence.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    LOL, you idiots really believe ISIS is a real terrorist organization of muslims? LOL.

ISIS and ALQEADA were created by the CIA. Even FOX News showed them driving their brand new US built MRAP armored vehicles and all US weapons...

Then there are the 7 ft tall terrorists in the beheading videos and the blue screen traces in many of the videos...

Haven't you morons seen Iron Man III? The Mandarin is Osama Bin Laden, an actor...
This discussion has been closed.