test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek TV Series: "Save us Netflix, you're our only Hope!"

doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Ten Forward
Now that JJ Trek 3 has cast Scotty AKA Simon Pegg as the villain of the movie, I think its safe to say that universe is going to commit suicide when it jumps a shark every 5 minutes to "make it more inclusive" because apparently the original JJ3 script was too Star Trekky. :rolleyes:

If you're a REAL Star Trek fan, you want the slow contemplative moments and great story telling of the tv series, and the action of JJ Trek. You dont want to sacrifice one for the other. Why cant we have both? Can Netflix offer a bigger budget?

Heres what Id want from a Star Trek on Netflix. 12 episode seasons that were 90 minutes each. Each story could have plenty of time for character development, and good action if the story calls for it. I dont even need them released all at once. Maybe just release 1 a month, should give them time to do the FX I assume if they start off with a 3 episode lead. 12 of the best stories, with an overall season arc like that of DS9, and it follows a starship crew.

Ive been meaning to read TNG novels, and the Titan novels, but havnt got around to it. Having said that, start the series with the USS Titan NCC 80102-A. Start the series off with Riker and Troi on the Titan, but about to retire. Riker saves the universe 1 last time, the Titan gets destroyed in the process, and Admiral Riker helps christen a new Titan with a new young human male captain that was his former 2nd officer (have Riker's #1 die with the Titan) and a human female hispanic first officer (since having her be captain is likely asking too much since Janeway set female captains back). You can get Picard to cameo too before Stewart dies. Time period is roughly STO, but an entirely new universe that isnt the novels or STO and its ludicrous 50 front war.

Thats what Id like to see anyways. What way would you want Netflix to bring back a Star Trek tv series?
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
Post edited by doubleohnine on

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What way would you want Netflix to bring back a Star Trek tv series?

I'd love a series based on the voyages of the USS Enterprise-B or Enterprise-C (with the series finale hopefully coinciding near the events of "Yesterday's Enterprise".
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you're a REAL Star Trek fan, you want the slow contemplative moments and great story telling of the tv series, and the action of JJ Trek. You dont want to sacrifice one for the other. Why cant we have both? Can Netflix offer a bigger budget?

Heres what Id want from a Star Trek on Netflix. 12 episode seasons that were 90 minutes each. Each story could have plenty of time for character development, and good action if the story calls for it. I dont even need them released all at once. Maybe just release 1 a month, should give them time to do the FX I assume if they start off with a 3 episode lead. 12 of the best stories, with an overall season arc like that of DS9, and it follows a starship crew.

The answer to your question is production values and budget.

Spent $200 million on a 2 hour movie, great production values great cast, stunning locations, cool visual fx. Adding 90 mins of "sluggish cheesy morality play" into the middle of your cool 2 hour action movie means the studio will just cut the footage and dump it on the floor.

That's why Ridley Scott's 3 1/2 hour "Kingdom of Heaven", had most of the side plot and char development axed by the studio, to reduce it to a 2 hour sword-n-sandals flick.

Making a tv series to the same standards is out of the question, $200 mil for a 2 hr movie = $75 mil for a 45 min episode, to fill a 1 hr schedule slot, 26 episode full series would cost over $1.9 BILLION, an amount you simply wouldn't make back on a tv show.

So, cut the extras, there's only 9 people on the Enterprise, axe the location shots, suddenly the engine room isn't a vast space filled with huge machinery, its a small room with a console in the middle, axe the visual fx, less cool space battles because adding those every week takes time and money, instead you get more 'stock shots' of the ship just flying in deep space, as 5 second interludes at places in the plot for a cut to commercials.

Then there's the cast... Can you convince the talent from the movie to give up 6-9 months a year to make a TV series, every year? Or will you have to replace some or all of them with low cost actors who don't get out much and will take any work they can get.

Thing ends up as... cardboard sets, bad actors, with some has-been 'guest' each week, where all the plot happens on the bridge, the canteen, medbay, and a chunk of wasteland 30 mins drive from downtown LA.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The answer to your question is production values and budget.

Spent $200 million on a 2 hour movie, great production values great cast, stunning locations, cool visual fx. Adding 90 mins of "sluggish cheesy morality play" into the middle of your cool 2 hour action movie means the studio will just cut the footage and dump it on the floor.

That's why Ridley Scott's 3 1/2 hour "Kingdom of Heaven", had most of the side plot and char development axed by the studio, to reduce it to a 2 hour sword-n-sandals flick.

Making a tv series to the same standards is out of the question, $200 mil for a 2 hr movie = $75 mil for a 45 min episode, to fill a 1 hr schedule slot, 26 episode full series would cost over $1.9 BILLION, an amount you simply wouldn't make back on a tv show.

So, cut the extras, there's only 9 people on the Enterprise, axe the location shots, suddenly the engine room isn't a vast space filled with huge machinery, its a small room with a console in the middle, axe the visual fx, less cool space battles because adding those every week takes time and money, instead you get more 'stock shots' of the ship just flying in deep space, as 5 second interludes at places in the plot for a cut to commercials.

Then there's the cast... Can you convince the talent from the movie to give up 6-9 months a year to make a TV series, every year? Or will you have to replace some or all of them with low cost actors who don't get out much and will take any work they can get.

Thing ends up as... cardboard sets, bad actors, with some has-been 'guest' each week, where all the plot happens on the bridge, the canteen, medbay, and a chunk of wasteland 30 mins drive from downtown LA.
    Who said I wanted to save JJ Trek? Im assuming if 8 episodes are more Insurrection and 4 are JJ trek action, thats a good fair balance on a better tv budget than the series got. Dialogue can be expanded to fill 90 minutes of straight run time so we feel like we get good character development in "less" episodes. Interior shots dont hog the budget. Not every episode has to be a STO space battle. I certainly dont want a shoot first ask questions later show.

I just want to watch a hot big chested hispanic female #1 play the Kirk/Riker sexual role, and have the captain more well rounded, perhaps the son of a good Trek captain, and he starts his career with more seasoning he got from his dad and Riker. I dont need to see a young out of control Chris Pine captain. I want a Captain who's got his act together day 1 of his command.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As a REAL Star Trek fan, I want the action and adventure embodied by Kirk & Co exploring and TRIBBLE their way across the Galaxy, not the sleepy committee meetings of TNG.

Or we could just dodge the whole "No True Scotsman" thing and stop trying to claim one group or another are the REAL fans, and everyone else is just a bunch of poseurs. You like Star Trek? You like it a whole lot? Congrats, you're a real Star Trek fan.

And I don't know where you heard that Scotty was supposed to be a villain in this - last I heard, Pegg was still finalizing the script. Or are you taking the position that anyone who directs at this point is a villain? If so, I have to kick you out of the "real Star Trek fan" club.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The model I would follow is a show I'm currently enamored with, The 100. It's decent sci-fi on the CW, lol. Easily the most improved show in the first season. Just hire some talented "kids" that'll take a low paycheck and are easily replaceable. Also, have no fear any killing off crew, make it the first Trek that does that regularly.

Make it about some cadets near graduation. Could be a Red Squad running a ship on some shakedown cruise, ala Valiant from DS9. Set it in post-war Voyager era. Use the Borg incursion I recall happening in some novel(s) as the pivotal event, pressing the crew into service.

They can have a pair of veteran crew at the top. I'd be happy with Tuvok or Harry Kim as "instructors" pressed back into front line duty. But I think an entirely new captain would be best, something we haven't seen before. A Section 31 operative, working at the Academy for recruitment purposes, becomes a ruthless tactician in the field.

Afterwards, give some promotions, send them on their way as galactic cops. They can send some time patrolling Cardassian space, encounter Sela, take orders from Admiral Picard or Janeway, and assist Ambassador Worf with some silly Klingon issue.

The overall arc could be about the post-war peace collapsing due to some of our anti-hero captain's actions. All an insidious plot to absorb the Cardassian, Klingon, and Romulan Empires into the Federation. All of this will culminate in our Captain working with Sela and Hakeev to cause the Hobus supernova.

To me, this bridges the gap between on-screen material and the game nicely.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    As a REAL Star Trek fan, I want the action and adventure embodied by Kirk & Co exploring and TRIBBLE their way across the Galaxy, not the sleepy committee meetings of TNG.

Or we could just dodge the whole "No True Scotsman" thing and stop trying to claim one group or another are the REAL fans, and everyone else is just a bunch of poseurs. You like Star Trek? You like it a whole lot? Congrats, you're a real Star Trek fan.

And I don't know where you heard that Scotty was supposed to be a villain in this - last I heard, Pegg was still finalizing the script. Or are you taking the position that anyone who directs at this point is a villain? If so, I have to kick you out of the "real Star Trek fan" club.

THANK YOU. Enough with the "real Star Trek fan" nonsense. And what do you mean that Pegg is the villian? I'm pretty sure they cast Idris Elba for that.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I called Pegg the villain because he's helping to make the script LESS Star Trekky when I thought he was on our side. If the suits want to whine that Insurrection type movies dont bring in the big bucks, then TRIBBLE Star Trek at the theaters. Give it back to us on TV, and give it 50% more yearly budget than Agents of Shield for less episodes, but longer and richer episodes on Netflix where they can get more risky with the stories and action.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I called Pegg the villain because he's helping to make the script LESS Star Trekky when I thought he was on our side. If the suits want to whine that Insurrection type movies dont bring in the big bucks, then TRIBBLE Star Trek at the theaters. Give it back to us on TV, and give it 50% more yearly budget than Agents of Shield for less episodes, but longer and richer episodes on Netflix where they can get more risky with the stories and action.

"Our side?"

Really?

Newsflash: not everyone shares the same opinions of the rebooted movie series. I'll let my sig speak for me.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I actually thought you were being literal about Pegg there, and was quite interested at the prospect of a Scotty betrayal.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    nynik wrote: »
    I actually thought you were being literal about Pegg there, and was quite interested at the prospect of a Scotty betrayal.

Yes, I would have really enjoyed that.
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I watched JJ Trek. I enjoyed them. Bought both blue rays. But I see them for the Star Wars movies that they are, and I miss my TNG style Trek. By real fans, I mean the ones who can enjoy Insurrection right along with JJ Trek, but dont want to see the franchise give up one for the other. And loathe hearing a movie script needs to have its Star Trek soul further stripped from it to get butts in theaters. The franchise is for the fans, TRIBBLE the casuals. And if the fan base cant keep movie suits happy these days with billion dollar profits, then give it back to the tv fanbase that grew it and loved it for what it was. Im fine with a 20% dose of Star Wars in a new tv series, but it still should be 80% Star Trek, or dont make movies or tv shows with the franchise at all. Let it just die instead of ticking off the old fans to win new fans who dont care about the franchise at all if it died tomorrow.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Now that JJ Trek 3 has cast Scotty AKA Simon Pegg as the villain of the movie
    ...I feel that I have missed many things.
  • Options
    wotertoolwotertool Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Most suggestions for a new Star Trek series are either Post Nemesis Federation, Far Future or based around the Romulan-Terran War (which would allow us to finally see that god damn war!).

But I'd prefer something different now, something new. After seeing the Federation going through many hundreds of years (with some holes), I'd love to see either during one of the used eras, or after "Nemesis", a crew and ship of a different species or major power.

Best and easiest example would be the Klingons of course. They already have their fully developed language, a big amount of history and they are known to people who don't have any idea what the Federation is.
    Costumes on the other side are not so easy and fastly done.

Personally I would love to see a crew of a romulan warbird. If Tal Shiar or Romulan Navy, does not matter that much.

Preferably on a Valdore Class Warbird with a redesigned bridge. That means it's post-Nemesis, but I would not mind if they either take a time far later or earlier, for example when the first D'Deridex left the shipyard. Or after the Federation assimilated the klingon empire into their realm.

Aside of the unlimited content they could use for any species at any time, the new series could also focus the backyard of the Beta Quadrant, close to the romulan or klingon space.

They don't even have to use a warship, I am sure that romulans and klingons do have ships to explore space anomalies.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    nynik wrote: »

I made the Scotty villain joke to my coworker as I type this thread at work, a fellow Trekkie, and his first response was "oh god, theyre doing wolf in the fold arent they?" "What? no lol" Then explained what I meant about Pegg's betrayal. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    wotertool wrote: »
    Most suggestions for a new Star Trek series are either Post Nemesis Federation, Far Future or based around the Romulan-Terran War (which would allow us to finally see that god damn war!).

But I'd prefer something different now, something new. After seeing the Federation going through many hundreds of years (with some holes), I'd love to see either during one of the used eras, or after "Nemesis", a crew and ship of a different species or major power.

Best and easiest example would be the Klingons of course. They already have their fully developed language, a big amount of history and they are known to people who don't have any idea what the Federation is.
    Costumes on the other side are not so easy and fastly done.

Personally I would love to see a crew of a romulan warbird. If Tal Shiar or Romulan Navy, does not matter that much.

Preferably on a Valdore Class Warbird with a redesigned bridge. That means it's post-Nemesis, but I would not mind if they either take a time far later or earlier, for example when the first D'Deridex left the shipyard. Or after the Federation assimilated the klingon empire into their realm.

Aside of the unlimited content they could use for any species at any time, the new series could also focus the backyard of the Beta Quadrant, close to the romulan or klingon space.

They don't even have to use a warship, I am sure that romulans and klingons do have ships to explore space anomalies.
    Yeah NO. You need only look at STO metrics to know a tv series based on Klinks or Rommys will not pull ratings. And no alien captains either. Call it human racist if you want, but I think most Trek fans want to envision themselves as a Star Trek captain and thats better related if its a HUMAN captain on tv. Save the captain Shon nonsense for books and games.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    A series after Nemesis is for the best. Im not interested in a series trapped between the canon of what came before and or after it. Its why I didnt watch Enterprise when it aired and its revisionist history. Too many Trek fans agreed with me, and it died. Still need to get around to watching it on Netflix though. And DS9.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Now that JJ Trek 3 has cast Scotty AKA Simon Pegg as the villain of the movie

While the OP has clarified his remark, the fact remains that this bit of misinformation is the first thing people are going to see when they read this thread.

I don't think this should stand and I feel it's going to cause trouble where there's nothing to be troubled about. While I could modify the initial post, or ask the OP to change it, I think the most effective course of action is to close the thread.

If you would like to continue discussing the other points the OP raised, please open a new thread. Please do not quote the misinformation part about Scotty being the villain. Thank you.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.