test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Here's an Idea How about a community Board with rotating members

12346»

Comments

• ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You misunderstand. People who know the most about the game would be more likely to know what's best for the game and the players.

Cryptic doesn't care one bit about what is best for the game. Let me repeat that, Cryptic doesn't care one bit about what is best for the game. No developer does not a single one... ever. What they care about is what is best for their bottom line. Money. Funds. Stocks.Anything and everything that counters making the most possible money is at best ignored. It's why quite often the devs will come in and basically say while an idea may be cool, it is not feasible. Translation cost effective.

That is where this board idea goes sideways, and always has in the past everywhere it has been tried. Developers will pack the boards with people they trust to toe their developer lines and prop up their goals. Those who don't are often ignored or asked to leave, or simply removed.

It goes back to that entitlement quote. As a customer you have two real options, chose to pay for a product, or not. Your only drving force is to say that I will not pay for a product I disagree with. A stockholder howevef is entitled to have a say... as to how the game makes money.
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Translation: Such items would give elitists something to flaunt their delusions of superiority, and a visual bullseye to let players know exactly who to bully, coerce, and intimidate.

Well, yes... Obviously, but since the suggestion is a troll post, claiming Starfleet Dental Members should get Ermine Robes, seriously, do you have a problem with SFD painting kick-me signs on their backs?

I still say we should do the free prison suits for SFD members thing I posted back near the start of this thread in response to the first time the troll idea was proposed.

"I fully support granting a special exclusive outfit to senior members of SFD, as suggested earlier, I'd go further, and grant them free in-game accommodation in an open pvp area...

Free inmate uniform and use of a cell in an open pvp Starfleet Max Security prison map, where non members get to play the invunerable heavily armed trigger happy holo-guards...

;) "
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In the example I gave about LOTRO, there are NO permanent seats. Mostly new people every year. I apologize if I gave a different impression. See here for details on what that all meant:

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/we-are-very-pleased-announce-lotro-player-council
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ltminns wrote: »
    In the example I gave about LOTRO, there are NO permanent seats. Mostly new people every year. I apologize if I gave a different impression. See here for details on what that all meant:

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/we-are-very-pleased-announce-lotro-player-council

looks like you have waded into something you said you were not getting into.. :P

but to your point, a year is a little too long and a player must work for their position on the council in order to get another term at the job, make it every 3 months for ex. then players on the council have to work for it. no way players should be up that long.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I always liked the idea that Terry Pratchett came up with in his Diskworld pseudo Australia...

Put politicians in jail they day they are elected because it saves time later...
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    are you completely sure of that? the reason i replied is specifically because the context of your message indicated that you writing about the thread, therefore its also as a whole point related to the OP regarding the means and motives otherwise this thread would not exist.

I can assure you, I know perfectly well who I was replying to.

The thread started off with good intent, then was taken off the rails by a 'friend' from our local neighborhood troll fleet. As usual, everyone falls for it and replies keeping this person happily instigating angry reply after angry reply. Why don't you go ahead and read through the entire thread instead of just the last couple posts and you'll see what I mean.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No Player Councils. I've never seen these work out as they are meant to. More of a Placebo. Nothing will change because the Devs will still do what they originally set out to do.

Tell me, *IF* a Player Council happens and the members go forward with, for example, an immense player desire for a reduction of XPs for leveling Post-Lv50, do you think the devs will go with that? No. If anything, it would go like this:

"Hmm. We've heard some requests along those lines. I'd like to take a look at those requests and comments, if you'll allow me."

Receives notes

Turns to Intern, whispers, "Pretend you're taking this to my office but put it in the shredder."

And bad idea someone putting up LOTRO's Player Council. I was there for a few years and that never worked out.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Here is the truly ironic thing about this whole idea: IF a player council actually existed, their job would be to represent the community, right? And yet, it is clear that the vast majority of people do NOT want a player council. Therefore IF a player council existed, and IF they were doing their job of representing the community, then they would have to immediately resign because the vast majority of people do not even want them to exist. And if they refused to resign, then they would NOT be doing their job of representing what the community wanted.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Here is the truly ironic thing about this whole idea: IF a player council actually existed, their job would be to represent the community, right? And yet, it is clear that the vast majority of people do NOT want a player council.

no this is an example of what some of us are pointing out to you and others now you see the issue. you only see one side of an issue rather than the whole thing, you see what the intention has brought to you as it was designed as such, that makes you think that it is a waste of time, but there was another point that you failed to find (and incidentally it makes a point about politics as well because in politics there is always another angle or agenda). but the second point you had not seen is that you are using a minority example to try force it into a majority point which proves that there is bias, intentional or not intentional doesnt matter, it exists. you could use that same logic to try prove metrics are this and that, or a few people on this forum here are the voice of the players on this and that..

thats what the point is, its all an exercise in understanding what would be expected off you as a player on the council.

you are not even close to a "vast majority" when only a handful of players are contributing to this thread. so there is more here then you learned.
    edited May 2015
    no this is an example of what some of us are pointing out to you and others now you see the issue. you only see one side of an issue rather than the whole thing, you see what the intention has brought to you as it was designed as such, that makes you think that it is a waste of time, but there was another point that you failed to find (and incidentally it makes a point about politics as well because in politics there is always another angle or agenda). but the second point you had not seen is that you are using a minority example to try force it into a majority point which proves that there is bias, intentional or not intentional doesnt matter, it exists. you could use that same logic to try prove metrics are this and that, or a few people on this forum here are the voice of the players on this and that..

thats what the point is, its all an exercise in understanding what would be expected off you as a player on the council.

you are not even close to a "vast majority" when only a handful of players are contributing to this thread. so there is more here then you learned.

That was one of the most confusingly worded posts I have ever read. However, I do get the point you are making, which is that the forums are only a small minority of the total playerbase, and therefore do not accurately represent the playerbase as a whole.

There's just one tiny little problem: using that very same logic, a player council would *not* accurately represent the playerbase either, because just like the forums, they would only be a tiny minority of the playerbase as a whole.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Or Cryptic should only select council members from people that have never posted on the forum because forum posters are only a tiny minority of the actual player base.

Oh, I see. So you're saying that instead of relying on the forums, which are a tiny minority of the actual playerbase, Cryptic should instead select an even tinier minority of the actual playerbase to represent the actual playerbase. Yeah, that makes perfect sense :P

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited May 2015
    So you honestly think the number of people that post on the forums outnumber the rest of the player base?

No, I dont, and never said that. What I did say was that any group of people that is selected for a player council would be even tinier than the amount of people who post on the forums. So if someone wants to say the forums are not representative of the overall playerbase, that same logic means that a player council would be even less representative than the forums.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Grandmagus is spot on. If the idea of a Community Board is such a good thing, why don't we have it. We are customers. There are all kinds of customer groups. What is the problem for forming such a group. Be it a formel one, a founded society, or organised by using the social media. Who is holding you back? Where are the founders?

The answer is of course, there is not much interest for it. Only a small group would be interested. A small group that has the goal to represent the STO players. You see the problem here? But hey, I could be wrong. Found your league, create the facebook page and go.
    edited May 2015
    That was one of the most confusingly worded posts I have ever read. However, I do get the point you are making, which is that the forums are only a small minority of the total playerbase, and therefore do not accurately represent the playerbase as a whole.

There's just one tiny little problem: using that very same logic, a player council would *not* accurately represent the playerbase either, because just like the forums, they would only be a tiny minority of the playerbase as a whole.

okay you just deflect the point with this pretend not to read TRIBBLE. but im not going to be baited by it either, so you can read it or forget it.

as for the the last sentence, again you learned more about motives. thats the type of thing you should expect.. there is more than one answer to a problem.
  • huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What are you going to accomplish with a board, when with the latest even change, they clearly could care less about what players think???
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But.. But.. i do not want any of you people representing me.
    Because i think most of you have seriously flawed ideas for game design.

no offense intended.
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    but.. But.. I Do Not Want Any Of You People Representing Me.
    Because I Think Most Of You Have Seriously Flawed Ideas For Game Design.

No Offense Intended.

Qft..../10
    edited May 2015
    Though I am personally opposed to this idea, I am also interested in how many people support/oppose it. Therefore, here is a simple poll:

http://strawpoll.me/4354197

As I am posting this link several pages into this thread, I would like to ask anyone who votes to please quote this post so other people will see the link.

For anyone that missed it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg