test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best rep to focus on for Tac/Comm Cruiser captain

berahtberaht Member Posts: 79 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Reputation System
I'm new to the rep system, but I get the basics. I'm just not sure what gear I should be grinding for my tac cruiser captain. If anyone knows any tricks or any "everyone knows it's OP" builds, or fun stuff, I could use the advice :D

I usually use a standard For/Aft torp, rest beams kinda build.
6e5OTnq.png
Post edited by beraht on

Comments

• Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Edit: completely wrong answer :P

Are you looking more for traits or gear?

Aux Configuration: Offense from Nukara is usually pretty popular, so getting to Tier 4 Nukara might be useful, also for the Nukara Shield and Deflector combo that's commonly in use these days.

Omega has a lot of good space gear to choose from, including the very common Adapted Console and Kinetic Cutting Beam, traits are a bit more specialized.

If you want to be really tanky, the new Iconian Radiant Antiproton space weapons are supposed to be a really good choice, combined with the Advanced Beam and Console from the gear, as well as the tier 2 passive for healing with energy weapon fire.

Romulan Plasma is still up there in terms of damage, and the Scorpions are still a solid choice for your fighters, and many people use the Romulan Engines for the Attack Pattern boost.

If you want to use a specialized torpedo or two, the Gravimetric from the Dyson rep and the Neutronic from Delta are popular choices.

Sure I missed a few, I'm not as familiar with the Delta and Undine space sets and traits.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You shouldn't focus or grind any particular rep.

The first time we earn Marks for any particular reputation we get a daily bonus box for that reputation. (Failures don't work.)

It's far more time/effort efficient to briefly do something for every reputation than to grind, since that daily bonus box is (iirc) 55 marks? Since the daily rep project is only 30 marks, you can just alternate between half the reputations on a daily basis and still get them all on their 20 hour advancement project.

Quoting myself from elsewhere on the easiest/most efficient ways to get your marks:
    For Romulan, I recommend hitting up Japori system patrol - as I pointed out, it was one of the easy pewpew ones for grinding before, and it's still easy now.

For Iconian and Delta, I recommend the Kobali ground zone - the problem is I don't remember if there's a level gate on the last two missions, both of which gives a choice of either marks (so one run of the two linked missions gives both rep) and 1 of the Elite marks.

If it is level gated, then for Delta I'd just hit up Argala system patrol, but that may need to be unlocked via the Delta Rising episode arc, and that may be level gated as well. Any random patrol in Delta quadrant would do in that case, remember you just need 1/day.

For Iconian, if the ground zone isn't available, it really depends on your ability in Space - if you're good and can get into the 10k channels Gateway to Grethingy on Advanced (GGA) is pretty easy. If you PUG it, it becomes a little iffy because simple pew-pew isn't enough, people need a (very) vague idea of what to do, and ignorance is plentiful as it's still kind of new.

For Omega, the Infected (Space) queue is easy, though again it depends on your ability in Space. At this point in the game if you ask for a group in UFP-UFPK you're likely to get a bunch of us willing to quickly go through it. Alternatively, just hit up Deferi ground zone, I believe any one task there will reward marks, which should give you your daily bonus. Red Alerts are also good for quickly getting your Omega daily bonus box, and those are double-xp zones.

For Dyson and 8472, just pop into the Dyson sphere. Do the ground battlezone and space battlezone - just capturing one point is enough to get the daily bonus box. It used to be possible to avoid the ground battlezone by picking up missions from joint command ("Hail Joint Command"), but I'm not sure if that's still there.

For Nukara, I like to just run the Crystalline Catastrophe queue. I just PUG, and I can't recall the last time it's failed. In comparison, the Tholian Red Alert is more prone to failure if you can't carry the match yourself. You can always do Azure Nebula instead, but that requires a competent group to not give you a headache. There's always the Nukara ground exploration zone, but I personally think it's a PitA since we have to switch to EV suits. I actually think that last may be the easiest way if your Space game isn't that strong.

Remember you only need to find one source of a particular mark to get the daily bonus, then you're done with it for the day.

Lastly, the best effort:reward method to get Romulan marks used to be Epohh tagging, not sure if it's still true. It takes a bit of time to get the cycle going since you need to collect tags 1/day (it's a daily), then convert the tags via DOffing into Epohhs, then raise the Epohhs via DOffing, then finally (once they're fully grown Elders) turn them in for Rom Marks. Back when Romulan Marks were new, it was trivial to get a group together and max out the tags you can get each day, so after about 3-4 days you'd get a steady production line of Epohhs growing with like 5 minute spent tagging and then another few minutes setting up the assignments. Nowadays, I'm not sure how populated it is, and you'd have to make an effort to max out the tags yourself.

With regards to your build, I'd recommend against 6 beam arrays with a fore and aft torp, you have no set killzone - 4 weapons forward, 6 weapons to the sides, 4 weapons aft.

As for reputation gear, the current pre-Iconian Reputation meta is Nukara Deflector and Shields, Romulan Engines. The reason for the Rom Engines is the sizable bonus to Attack Patterns, and in general you want to have 2x Attack Ability (2xFAW, 2xCSV, 2xSS, etc.) and 2x Attack Patterns, so that boosts your offense. The reason for the Nukara is that the 2-piece gives a damage bonus and restores disabled weapons, plus Resilient Shields are preferred since they outright negate 5% of incoming damage.

Other standard items include the Kinetic Cutting Beam and Assimilated Console from the Omega rep. The KCB is one of, if not the best source of Kinetic around, with zero travel time, a fast fire rate, and 360 arc. The console is also one of the best Reputation consoles, boosting crits and other things, and the 2-piece bonus which effectively has a chance to negate weapon power drain makes these two items something the vast majority will carry.

Most other reputation items are less generally useful and depends on what you're building for. For example, for a Plasma beamboat the Romulan Plasma Experimental Array and Zero Point Energy Conduit from the Romulan reputation is an excellent choice, and the console is decent by itself.

The Nukara Tier 4 ship traits are considered the best in the game if you can keep your Aux power up, and the +Critical Chance and +Critical Severity traits from Romulan and Dyson are also top tier.

No clue about Ground, heck I use the +5% Run speed one for convenience.