test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devs, don't you think it's a bit too much?

yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
Serioulsy, i think we have come to a point where abilities and other things don't need a graphical representation in space or (ground) anymore.

Just some ranodom images:
screenshot_2015-05-07-06-18-21_zpsgep3hnjg.jpg

screenshot_2015-05-02-02-41-58_zpsnwls57tr.jpg

Is anyone supposed to get bearings anymore?

Abilites that only appy to the player needn't be shown at all, and the rest should be toggable or at least reduceable.
Serioulsy this doesn't look like space combat anymore it's more like WOW on steroids, lol.

I know it's supposed to help PvPers to see what the enemy is doing, but come on guys it's simply too much and doesn't help anymore.

What do other players think about this issue?
Alright, maybe i'm the only one, but it really gets confusing by now imo.
"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
(also applies to Star Trek in general)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    I agree

Its getting to a point where we need a options tab where all abilitys need a box to turn animations on and off

Some of these animations look so cartoony there really downgrading the game too

What good is it to have superior graphics on a ship when you add these cartoon effects in ?
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • divvydavedivvydave Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Agreed there's so much going on it becomes distracting :(
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree. Effects should be able to be toggled on and off. Or make an alternative version so effects that are relevant for all players are displayed in a more subtle, lore friendly way, like an LCARS overlay/frame with a brief indication on what happened.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Agreed. Let's end the acid trip.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    yreodred wrote: »

Wow! That is some technicolor spam right there. Talk about "taste the rainbow."
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited May 2015

That is distracting. It's like the space equivalent of the party amplifier.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Can't wait to add in those awesome new starship emotes!
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Agree completely.

An option to turn down various effects, as well as all off, would be very welcome.

I don't ever recall Star Trek in the movies or in the series resembling anything of the sort. This is science fiction for a reason.

I've played other Science Fiction games before and despite their own complexities they don't need to resort to spamming the entire screen every second in combat to inform you something that an already-existing icon set does, or some other UI that provides the necessary info.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • acheronbladeacheronblade Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I could not agree more. I have always hated, and wished for a way to turn off all the silly cartoon icons flying around. In no way, shape, or form does it look like an epic space battle from any sci-fi series, or movie (let alone star trek).

the undine battle zone is of course one of the worst offenders. On top of all these crazy disco cartoon effects you have undine snot bubbles and portals, combined with ships teleporting all over the place. Its even better when you complete an objective and all your enemies just fade out of existence. :P
    PRWDS5g.jpg
  • greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    totally agree

an option to get rid of the cluttered space combat gfx would be a blessing
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    and the devs can't figure out why it's lagging so bad?
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Totally distracting, please remove those ships from the FX, i can hardly see the light display :D
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Add one more to the pile. I don't think they should be done away with, but certainly allow us to toggle some of them.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whoa... O.o

Yeah... tone it down.. give them a on/off switch.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, all those effects show up on the target info at the top of the screen, so the veteran player wouldn't need all those graphical representations to know what their target is effected by.

An option to disable all those overlays on a per-client basis would be most appreciated, also worth noting that this would also address concerns about 'starship emotes' being too obstructive, immersion breaking, or annoying...;)
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Amen get rid of these graphics, they look terrible, and cause loads of lag. Let us turn them off if we see fit.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • aceofspades99999aceofspades99999 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I..I..I'm blind! I..I can't see, god help me I can't see!!
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about...

screenshotffb2.jpg

:P
  • dylantrinidydylantrinidy Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    please cryptic its out of control now

will cryptic's "clientele" still purchase their "powers" if they cant see it?
  • lorne12lorne12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I totally agree!

We aren't in Hello Kitty Online here or something else where you need this taste of a rainbow!
    You read an lorne12™ post

bZVIEMl.jpg
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Totally agree with the OP, it's become a jumbled mess of colours and effects.

Half the time I can't even tell what a blaze of colours and symbols is supposed to represent anyway. They may as well get rid of it all and let us use the buff/debuff icons to see what's going on.

Ironically the only graphical effect we can turn off client side is probably the least intrusive - the shield indicator ring around the ships.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I believe the first step is to drastically improve the buff/debuff information shown on unit frames. When the player can get info from a live effect then we don't need such over the top graphical effects ON EVERYTHING.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yet another side effect of adding pointless powers into the game that do the same thing other powers do but better. I think those screenshots gave my eyes a frame rate drop.
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nynik wrote: »
    I believe the first step is to drastically improve the buff/debuff information shown on unit frames. When the player can get info from a live effect then we don't need such over the top graphical effects ON EVERYTHING.
    DING DING DING DING! WINNER!

Pretty much every other MMO I've played, you can get all the info you need simply by hovering the effect icon tooltips--if you even need to do that.

The effect icons are too small, too easily confused with one another, rarely have any kind of useful visual cues on the icon (such as a countdown of how long the buff/debuff has left!), and don't even give you anything except the name of the effect when you hover them. There is a wealth of info there that is not being exposed, and it could quite easily replace a considerable amount of the pointless visual spam.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    amezuki wrote: »
    DING DING DING DING! WINNER!

Pretty much every other MMO I've played, you can get all the info you need simply by hovering the effect icon tooltips--if you even need to do that.

The effect icons are too small, too easily confused with one another, rarely have any kind of useful visual cues on the icon (such as a countdown of how long the buff/debuff has left!), and don't even give you anything except the name of the effect when you hover them. There is a wealth of info there that is not being exposed, and it could quite easily replace a considerable amount of the pointless visual spam.

What about the effects get grouped together and there's only one red symbol with a "minus" and a green symbol with a "plus" on it and hovering over them displays what effects are active and how they influence the mob exactly - with exact numbers. Like "Disruptor breach: -32 energy damage resistance" or something like that.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    misterde3 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about...

screenshotffb2.jpg

:P

There is this, and then there is the other extreme we currently have to live with:

Top-down view of my Charal in sector space, right next (~1-2 LY) to a planetary system, with one of the lighter skins and 120+ brightness...

z50wigd.jpg
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There is this, and then there is the other extreme we currently have to live with:

Top-down view of my Charal in sector space, right next (~1-2 LY) to a planetary system, with one of the lighter skins and 120+ brightness...

z50wigd.jpg

Ouch! That's not good.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yep totally agree! the effects visuals have gotten way too distracting and confusing, they are also headache inducing at times. i would salute, cheer and be eternally grateful for an option to turn the excessive visuals off, selectively or totally. with the current issue of elastic-banding and lagging, wouldn't a reduction in the screen spam also help with that? we know the art guys are great at developing new icons and display information, could they not (as suggested by someone else) focus their attention on redoing the unit frame buff and debuff icons/info as an alternative, less painful and less resource intensive option?
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I know it's supposed to help PvPers to see what the enemy is doing, but come on guys it's simply too much and doesn't help anymore.

What makes you think pvpers asked for this? cryptic has never given anything to pvpers in 5+ years of this game... just count the pvp maps that exist now.. guess what... the same number exist now as during open beta!! Do you think they would honor a request from pvpers to make the ability effects more apparent on screen?

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tfomega wrote: »
    What makes you think pvpers asked for this? cryptic has never given anything to pvpers in 5+ years of this game... just count the pvp maps that exist now.. guess what... the same number exist now as during open beta!! Do you think they would honor a request from pvpers to make the ability effects more apparent on screen?
    Easy man, lol
    I didn't say PvP players asked for it.
    I meant that Cryptics devs obviously had PvP gameplay in mind when first creating those visuals, which have gone out of hand in the last few years.
    (At least that's what ppl said when someone raised the same topic a few years ago.)

But even if such excessive FX where somehow beneficial for PvP, it still would make sense to make it an option for each player (client side), don't you think?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)