What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    I CANNOT believe cryptic keeps doing this to themselves over and over

To retire the pearls without causing much Fuss

You tell everyone this is the last event to use them , After this event there gone forever

You can send me a check in the mail for this advice too
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jexsamx wrote: »
    That's it, I'm done.

This is ridiculous. Worse, this is arbitrary. You're taking something away for no other reason than to pad your damned metrics. At least in other situations where players have had things taken away from them, it was to move forward with something new and usually better. But you're just taking this away to replace it with something that's the same, just with a new name.

And just what purpose does retiring the old ships serve? This is a complete 180 from the previous years' events, and the only reason you give is "exclusivity"? Where was this reasoning after the first Winter Event? I would have been okay with year-exclusive ships if that had been the policy from the start, but you're changing directions after several years of a different established policy. You're throwing all of that out the window for no reason whatsoever. It's spiteful.

I also agree with all of this.

Except for the "I'm done" part. I still plan on sticking around for a while. Whether my billing information does, though... well, that remains to be seen. I may retire my billing information for exclusivity. We'll see.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    beameddown wrote: »
    gotta say, emotes...

love them, I KNOW, LOL I know, breaks immersion, everyone that have said that, one billion percent agree, your dead on right, totally right

breaks it

BUT, two things-

1: if it can be turned off? HUGE- prevents trolling, we don't want trolling, we don't want spamming, anyone that's fought another player in pvp and that TRIBBLE hat had to just keep spamming fireworks the ENTIRE FIGHT wishes to god there was a option, that HEY maybe later you turn it back on.. BUT for right now? GOD please just let be turn this b.s. off LOL

or again, the whole nimoy thing on Vulcan, SAME story there with dental, GOOD lord if we could just have the option to turn off the disco ball and im not talking "have an item to prevent you from dancing" just have an option in the menu that you don't want to see it, you don't want to dance would have saved a lot of grief over that time

so that's just common sense there to have with this whole emote thing, have an option to turn it off in the menu, SIMPLE makes EVERYONE happy, just common sense

2: if it lags folks out? HUGE again, good lord theres enough lag in the game as is, if you tell me right now giving me some option to communicate with other players is going to cause me more lag? I say: please, I cant take anymore LOL!!

so if it lags the game out, lets just sit on this one on the back burner until a time the servers can handle it, again, NO ONE needs more lag at this point- this is something that effects EACH and EVERY player in game now- so if the cost to the butcher man is lag for emotes... as much as I love them, I gotta say pass

BUT with those 2 points covered, I love the idea of emotes, GOOD lord these things are going to do more good then harm, IT WILL - TRUST ME start friendships between strangers, IT WILL/CAN make gameplay in stfs better

imagine your ships about dead... guy on your team sends you a heal, you pop a thumbs up BOOM you just gave him something in trade, and again-- ITS intimate, its between you and him, its not some zone chat b.s. everyone reads but ment for one sole person, its not a tell (your in the middle of the fight who the TRIBBLE got time to talk LOL) its a quick, easily understood emotion sent to a player that without a doubt understand

BUT hey, I again, 10000000% understand having this tool in the game is just LOL its game immersion breaking.. but you know? if it can be turned on and off with ease, and you can use it for the TOOL that it is to send an message to players you do know and do not know yet.. what an awesome addition to the game really

and for it being in the lat store? AWESOME move,.. I want these things to be added to the game perminate, ALWAYS available to players to get, HELL we may even find some more folks at DS9 playing the dabo tables 7 months from now to get them ...

that's a good thing:)

Sooo...what you are saying is that this is a really, really great thing for STO...-IF- the devs do something they never have done in the past, despite multiple requests for it, right?

What if, as seems more likely, they decide to ensure everyone has to see those things and it is -not- between two people but everyone in range? What if, as is far more likely, this isn't used to send a message to players you want to encourage but simply to show off what you can do and grief those around you with simple clutter on their game?

Does your enthusiasm for this feature remain, and do you think the break in immersion for players who care about that part of the game is balanced out by the thrill option for those who can't be bothered to actually type out a message?

I can say that this single feature has torpedoed my consideration for going in for a Lifetime sub next time it is up. I just can't see myself investing that kind of commitment into a game that is on a trajectory like this.
  • hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    that's how businesses run, they run of what THEIR customer base DOES

not on what their customers SAY

A successful company does both. Even if you can provide a perfect product for your market, if your customers hate you, revenue will eventually dry up. You have to sell a product they will buy AND make them glad they bought it.
  • hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    walmart

/10characters

your argument is flawed......

sorry:(

Well it wasnt really an argument at all so I cant really defend my claim. But I dont getthe Walmart reference. Do they not listen to theor customers? It seems to me the vast majority of regular Walmart shoppers are more than happy with how they conduct themselves.

I guess a more accurate statent is that if you keep telling your customers they are wrong and you as a company know better what they want, you really better be right.
  • predconpredcon Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Go look up "People of Walmart". Tell me that's how you equate the average STO player.

I saved up my pearls because I missed out on the corvette. I waited all year, through tons of **** that would make just about anyone else say "**** it, I quit", and now this.
  • salamiinfernosalamiinferno Member Posts: 159 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    There has been a lot of discussion, speculation, and general debate with the decision to adjust the way Summer Event ship currency is earned. This wasn’t a decision we came to lightly, but it was one that we needed to make to maintain the integrity of this event and these ships. I’m going to take a moment to give some history on these sorts of events, why we made this decision, and what we plan to do moving forward.

Our seasonal events came to pass as a way to give you something fun to play that doesn’t fall strictly in line with our standard gameplay, while also giving out a rare and powerful reward for doing so. We decided, as most of you would, that the most desirable reward we could give out is a ship and a system was designed to give you access to that ship. Over a specific period of time you’re asked to log in and play a short mission for about 55% of that time in order to earn a near lock box quality ship. This ship was earned per character and each character on your account had to turn in the same amount of currency to earn the ship. The ship wasn’t only powerful, but was a status symbol for someone that was there when the event ran. After a couple of years of participating in this system the general feedback from the community was that this was too tedious and far too much of a commitment for people with multiple alts that wanted the ship. This led us to have some internal discussions and make a change.

About a year ago we changed the system so that all you had to do was earn the ship on a single character on your account, and then every alt you had that could slot the ship project only had to turn in a single day’s worth of currency in order to get the ship. We were happy to make this change, and were even happier at how well it was received by the community. It meant everyone got their ships and didn’t have to get completely burned out on the daily mission to earn the currency. For a time, this was a great setup and both dev and player got what they wanted.

Over the last couple of seasonal events we noticed a trend that was different than we had seen in the past. General participation on the event was dropping, but the number of ships being collected was staying the same. Somehow people were playing less and still earning the ships from these events; we started digging into the numbers to figure this out. We initially assumed people were using the Lobi bypass option to speed their way through the events, but after digging deeper into the numbers that wasn’t the case either. It turned out the change we made to make earning the ships more alt friendly had completely trivialized play of the events. Players could earn currency on all of their alts in one year, and then spend the currency from a single character every year to get the ship immediately. While some few players would then re-run the event on the character that spent their currency, the vast majority wouldn’t. Again, this meant participation was down while rewards were still earned at the same rate.

I’ve written all of this to explain how we’ve gotten to where we are today, a new currency for every ship every year. This ensured that each year the players that participate in the event will earn the reward for that year, while still allowing alts to earn the ships after a single play of the event. We knew that shipping the alt friendly system as it was is our mistake, and we wanted to ensure that impacted players weren’t left with nothing. We created a variety of desirable rewards that would let players turn in their pearls and feel like they got something valuable or unique for them. While this satisfied me in the short term, after reading all of your feedback I want to take this a step further.

We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks. As soon as one character on your account owns a ship, every single other character on your account that exists now or you will ever create will have immediate access to any event ship you’ve earned. There will be no need for your alts to play the event mission, no hoops to fly through other than picking up the ship from a store. Hopefully taking this extra step will address any lingering concerns you have with the overall change. Thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to seeing you on Risa soon!
  • vyconis81vyconis81 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In all honesty, I won't be on much for this event. I'm barely on anymore even now. Due to the nature of my work, my available down time varies too much to dedicate the grinding time needed for most of these events. And on top of that, if I'm promoted, I'll have even less time to play.

So for me, my time will be more on making money than playing this game. I have already given way more money to this company than I would like over the life of this product that gives very little in anything rewarding for the time spent. The real content has dropped and replaced with time sinks and grind sinks than actual story. More and more, I'm playing less and less.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks. As soon as one character on your account owns a ship, every single other character on your account that exists now or you will ever create will have immediate access to any event ship you’ve earned.

Thanks finally some good news for Veterans ... not that good for the "new guys", though ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks. As soon as one character on your account owns a ship, every single other character on your account that exists now or you will ever create will have immediate access to any event ship you’ve earned. There will be no need for your alts to play the event mission, no hoops to fly through other than picking up the ship from a store. Hopefully taking this extra step will address any lingering concerns you have with the overall change. Thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to seeing you on Risa soon!

I like how this sounds. Sadly I imagine there will still be much crying and gnashing of teeth, and the odd person who misses the word "event" spoken several times and screams CRPTC LIDE 2 ME because they saw "every ship" and thought it meant lockbox ships too, but such is life.

Regardless. I do like how that sounds. Thank you.

[I'll admit I'm guilty of the exact same hoarding and event-dodging behaviour described though...]

Actually I do have a question though. Should any leftover new currency be floating about one's inventory after the event, what happens to it? Does it disappear into the aether like the event coordinator?
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thank you for communicating that Salami, the last paragraph especially is good to know.
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thank you for the reply, salami.

I have 2 questions, though.

1: Will this take effect on the winter event as well?

2: Will older ships still be acquirable?

I'm especially interested in 2.

I missed out on the most recent winter event due to personal circumstances, and would like to know if I'm SoL on getting the carrier.
  • commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the reply Salami. I especially like that the current and past ships will become account unlocks from a store, removing the ship slot occupation issue.

The one question I have is will there still be the opportunity to catch up on missed event ship projects the following year? I.e. If I don't finish this years project, will I be able to continue it the next summer with the new currency?
    edited May 2015
    What burns me the most is that you waited until the very last second to announce it. "Oh, we didn't come to this decision lightly". The **** you didn't. That's baiting-and-switching at the very least.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While this satisfied me in the short term, after reading all of your feedback I want to take this a step further.

We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks. As soon as one character on your account owns a ship, every single other character on your account that exists now or you will ever create will have immediate access to any event ship you’ve earned. There will be no need for your alts to play the event mission, no hoops to fly through other than picking up the ship from a store. Hopefully taking this extra step will address any lingering concerns you have with the overall change. Thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to seeing you on Risa soon!

I was expecting a non-apology, but this has actually turned my opinion a full 180 degrees.

Delta Recruits get access to all that? Awesome.

And every future event ship? Awesome.

The iWarbird secondary deflector can now be claimed without spending Lobi in the Lobi store? Awesome.

And I no longer have to grind through the event on multiple characters? Awesome.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

Wow, that's a lot of text. (Read through the whole thing, though) :)

Quick question, the Text in bold, does this include the following ships:
    Obelisk carrier (Sphere of influence mission)
    4th, 5th Anniversary ships?
    Risan Corvette
    Risan Cruiser
    Breen Chell Grett
    Breen Plesh Brek
    Breen Sarr Theln

If yes to most of these, I hold no hope for the Obelisk lol, then I'd like to say Thank you Cryptic Devs and I'm now satisfied enough with the change to cease complaining! :D
  • vyconis81vyconis81 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Your post went up while I was typing mine, lol! But thank you for this information.

I have a question about this part:

Will this include ships like Lobi and lock box ships? Or is this strictly only for event and rewarded ships? It would be nice if once a ship is owned, regardless of where it's from, if they remain unlocked permanently for players that have unlocked them account wide.

And seeing as it was not addressed by the team, the Enterprise Era C-Store bundle still does not mark the NX replica as unlocked unless you redeem it through the bundle over and over. Other ship bundles once unlocked also unlocked the normal C-Store ship as owned.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...okay, i forgive you
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I’ve written all of this to explain how we’ve gotten to where we are today, a new currency for every ship every year. ith the overall change. Thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to seeing you on Risa soon!

Say "BUH BYE!" to your Qmendations, Multidimensional Transporter Devices, Signed Photos, and Shards too, Metric Monkeys! NOW GET BACK TO GRINDING! RICH PWE BOSSES IN CHINA ARE DEPENDING ON YOU!
    edited May 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »

Risan Corvette
    Risan Cruiser
    Breen Chell Grett
    Breen Plesh Brek
    Breen Sarr Theln

If yes to most of these, I hold no hope for the Obelisk lol, then I'd like to say Thank you Cryptic Devs and I'm now satisfied enough with the change to cease complaining! :D

Only if you earned them during that event. They're locking off the old event ships. That's what "moving forward" means.
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    vyconis81 wrote: »
    Your post went up while I was typing mine, lol! But thank you for this information.

Will this include ships like Lobi and lock box ships? Or is this strictly only for event and rewarded ships? It would be nice if once a ship is owned, regardless of where it's from, if they remain unlocked permanently for players that have unlocked them account wide.

And seeing as it was not addressed by the team, the Enterprise Era C-Store bundle still does not mark the NX replica as unlocked unless you redeem it through the bundle over and over. Other ship bundles once unlocked also unlocked the normal C-Store ship as owned.

I would assume it's just rewarded ships.

Else I'd be claiming Galors on every one of my chars.
  • captainkroncaptainkron Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is going to be the BEST summer event Ever and the players will love it!!!

Marketing knows the metrics and what the players want, so they are giving it to us.

I changed my mind, I hope everyone has space emotes and shows them off cause that is what players want. :rolleyes:

I am running out of Popcorn following this Thread.

The kicker on this was I had just sat at my desk the other day and was thinking, "Oh, it is close to summer event (Stoked), so lets see if anyone on forum is talking about it." I open the bookmark and see this thread. The more I read the more the feeling of excitement faded. It turned from disappointment to ...... Now it is Wat Eva!

This is a Star Trek IP and ppl will come anyway. They know it and players know it. I was looking at the Escort Mega bundle. I am still looking at it from a far. It is not a money issue, but a "Come on guys!" issue. Guess I will just play and wave space emotes at everyone. But not the emote I wish was offered. Ha ha!
    CibJ7qu.jpg?1
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    so what you're saying is people played the game initially. earned enough commodities to sustain themselves and due to people not needing to grind the full event participation was down, so you've decided to knock that on the head and make people participate again to earn that ship which in reality they earnt 1/2 events ago by participating back then.

So once again Cryptic are robbing people of time and resources, because you're metrics were telling you not enough people were playing what you wanted them to and when

I have across 12 characters over 600k each in unrefined dil, this means i don't have to play for dil for the next 75 days on all those characters. Because i'm not entering the PvE queues and participating are you going to take my dilithium away ? all because you're metrics are showing you the number of people queuing up for stf's is down on last year ?

Sorry my friend but i call BS.

The active players weren't there so you want to fix the numbers this year by punishing the people who thought to play ahead.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    vyconis81 wrote: »

he said event ships, which don't include lockbox or lobi ships...and most likely not the promotional ships either, even though those ARE events
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »

Risan Corvette
    Risan Cruiser
    Breen Chell Grett
    Breen Plesh Brek
    Breen Sarr Theln

Yeah curious about that as well ... especially since some of these Ships are part of the Lobi Store ... Dyson Sci Ship i.E. ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
This discussion has been closed.