test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I couldn't less about retiring pearls. Let's the megagrinders feel like idiots. Makes me smile.

BUT this is shocking:
    "Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?

No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival."

Are these to remain old collectibles forever, or are we talking the much (once) discussed possibility of Risian ships (obviously T6 now) in the C-Store, apart from the new event ship that costs Time Credits? Because a lot of people really want these old ships, expected them over the summer event, and totally one-time availability ships have never ever been in this game before unless obsoleted by a new C-Store option (like the 2nd Anni Ody). Ergo, if I'm interpreting this revelation right, I like the decision to make some kind of Risian pack available in the C-Store (since so much has already been invested in Risian doffs and the new pilot abilities, etc), and welcome fresh content for the Summer Event. I emphatically would not like the idea of essentially throwing away those beautiful Risian hulls forever, which is inconceivable, so I must believe in the latter.

When will we get the announcement? It's okay; just tell us. Pretty please with a Lobi on top.
    Greenbird
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think i figured out the reason for the change. Remove the stock piled Pearls and make people grind from scratch and hope they might be tempted to forfeit the grind and purchase zen to use lobi to get there faster.

Its a way to try to monetize but not be so blatantly obivous about it.

I'm betting the idea to do this was with this in mind, Its a way to make Vets and New players start new every time and the hope vets will like the new players and put their hands in their pockets now they don't have a spill over from previous events

Its all about the zen people
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I couldn't less about retiring pearls. Let's the megagrinders feel like idiots. Makes me smile.

Well, my alt had 1000 Pearls stocked up (just in case the 2015 Risan ship DIDN'T suck) so he bought loads of R&D boxes and is making mad bank selling the Salvaged Tech, so I'm crying all the way to the bank. :cool:

(It's still a bonehead move on Cryptic's part though)
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Problem: Cryptic announced they're taking something away (old event ships).
    Solution: Don't announce removals until you can also announce a replacement.

Don't forget the Ninety-Ninth Rule of Acquisition: Trust is the biggest liability of all.
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    beameddown wrote: »
    total troll,

sorry folks, this is a really low brow move by cryptic, I am betting that the new t6 summer ship will put to shame the risian corvette and the cruiser, but still- for some out there, they were half way through the project, others just started, some may even have just missed the completion by a day or two

and they waited, they waited for next year summer to come around..

I just don't see the reason in doing it BESIDES to try and get the whales to pay for the ship day one, that's it, that's gotta be the reason for doing it

its a shame, cause when you think of these events they come either during the holidays over winter (a great time to be with friends and family) or the heart of summer (many states and im sure around the world an end to the cold and the beginning of fun days outside)

im in MN, so we get each season FULL BORE LOL so the summer is AWSOME, get to head down to the lakes, do some fishing, swim, volleyball etc

I just wish they would stop with these events being a GRIND and a dumb solo grind at that, and just offer the ship up in like 5-7 days, the event ships should be looked at as a way to GIVE the players a bit of love...

not fleece the whales by putting a massive grind they can avoid by a swipe of the credit card, MEANWHILE the bulk of the populations gotta suffer through that laggy zone anyways:)

NOTE: POST NUMBAH ONE THOUSAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNND!!!!!

I'll be honest. IMO, there really isn't anything worth getting from the Summer Event. Squawking Parrots and Masked Monkeys. Big whoop. The Winter Wonderland is far more fun & rewarding (even if you skip the races that make you want to rip your hair out).

So I'm pretty much resolved to skip it this year. Not going to be a Flying Monkey and grindgrindgrind unless there's a Dil payout like CE or Mirror has (and I get a bad feeling Craptic is going to find some way to buzzkill that this year as well).
    edited May 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    Problem: Cryptic announced they're taking something away (old event ships).
    Solution: Don't announce removals until you can also announce a replacement.

Don't forget the Ninety-Ninth Rule of Acquisition: Trust is the biggest liability of all.

Just as Cryptic never gave us another Odyssey for Anniversary Events after the 2nd, this likely just means better Risian ships in the C-Store, which is a good thing. And that's besides the new Summer Event freebie.

If this doesn't mean what we, the rational, think it means, it will make me cry, and Trendy won't let that happen. So relax.

Well, my alt had 1000 Pearls stocked up...

:D...See? Can't help it.
    Greenbird
  • nobody0806nobody0806 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Even if the Reason is to make the Whales Throw their Money to get the New Ship, its still NO REASON to Retire the Old Ships!!! Just LEAVE the Old Ones in and Obtainable for the OLD Currency Or Just Switch to the New Currency and Make People Grind the Rest that they Need for those Ships and get them with the New Currency, People (WHALES) who want the New Ship at day 1 will still have to Lock and load their Credit Cards, Cryptic gets their Money and we can Keep or get our Old AND the New Ships, what the Problem with that?

Again there is NO LOGICAL Reasoning to Retire the Old 2 Ships, other than Making People ANGRY:mad::mad::mad:
    edited May 2015
    nobody0806 wrote: »
    there is NO LOGICAL Reasoning to Retire the Old 2 Ships, other than Making People ANGRY:mad::mad::mad:

It's to make people who want the obsolete Risian ships to buy the new ones from the C-Store. And we get a new T6 freebie. We, the rational players, don't lose in this deal. It's good for us, good for you, and good for George and Gracie.
    Greenbird
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I had over 500 Pearls saved up up from last year and personally it doesn't upset me that they are being retired. I understand how allowing them to carry over to the next year undermines what makes those event rewards special. And I am very thankful for the fact that you are allowing us to spend our saved up pearls on various goodies, because I've been in other games where they would have just been taken from us with no compensation.

However, I would like to voice my concern for your new rule of "All in-progress Summer Reputation projects will be removed at the end of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival." I know some players can only afford to login a few times a week, not allowing them to continue the special projects the next year seems a bit harsh. At the very least I hope you intend to refund any "Pearls" spent on unfinished projects you remove.

I don't think it undermines the following year. If anything, it gives you a reason to earn some extra to save up. They gaive you more time than needed to acquire the ship so you can bank some to help you out with next year. If you aren't interested in teh ship being offered that year, then you can already start working towards next years prize instead of skipping the current event completely.

I didn't care for the Corvette or the yacht but I ran my characters both years to help lesson the grind for when there would be something I want. Under this new system, PWE is basically saying, go play another game if you aren't interested in the reward for this year! Well... If that is how they want it, I'm sure enough will.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, the store is in, and no doubt people are buying the emotes and such, so it's obviously intended all criticism (constructive or not) be rendered irrelevant. If the devs reverse their course on the Risian ships and/or use of the pearls for the next Event, they'll trigger a second firestorm of people crying that they've spent all their pearls because of the first announcement, and probably launch a conspiracy theory about it being intended all along as a stunt to get people to empty their reserves of pearls ahead of the Event.

So, the devs have put themselves squarely in the position they are in without any recourse, and done so without first testing the community to see what the reaction would be. The situation is now unfixable and the outcome set.

A pity. Now, we all have to look forwards to a game where Star Trek is a cartoon with ships giving each other high-fives, spam gestures, and playing rock-scissors-paper when confronting the death of the galaxy and encountering new races. Of all the impacts of this retirement, this is the single most devastating and lasting effect on the game for those of us who still were engaged with this game with anything like immersion.

Too bad the devs didn't bother to see if this was a good idea before making it an uncorrectable action.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's to make people who want the obsolete Risian ships to buy the new ones from the C-Store. And we get a new T6 freebie. We, the rational players, don't lose in this deal. It's good for us, good for you, and good for George and Gracie.

Yeah Risian Ships in the C-Store not gonna happen ... let's count all those "Alien"-Ships in the C-Store ... let's see ... oh ZERO ... nvm ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited May 2015
    Under this new system, PWE is basically saying, go play another game if you aren't interested in the reward for this year! Well... If that is how they want it, I'm sure enough will.

Nope. They're saying, "Here's one new non-obsolete freebie. If you want the old ships, buy the new versions from the C-Store." I know because I'm 1/16th Betazoid.
    danqueller wrote: »
    the devs have put themselves squarely in the position they are in without any recourse, and done so without first testing the community to see what the reaction would be.

Only irrational people react, so testing the community wouldn't have revealed useful information, like this thread, except for me. However, I am a Q sent by Q to help you poor people, 'Touched By A Q'-style, starring Della Reese and John de Lancie.
    danqueller wrote: »
    A pity. Now, we all have to look forwards to a game where Star Trek is a cartoon with ships giving each other high-fives, spam gestures, and playing rock-scissors-paper when confronting the death of the galaxy and encountering new races.

First, Star Trek IS a cartoon and always has been. It even literally was one once.

Second, games are supposed to be fun. Ship emotes are fun. Damned fine emotes. And cool. You want to be one of the cool kids, don't you?

Third, in Star Trek, the galaxy has plot armor. If you're worried about the death of the galaxy, your inductions are malfunctioning. And if you think exploration and encountering new races happens in STO, lol.

Yeah Risian Ships in the C-Store not gonna happen ... let's count all those "Alien"-Ships in the C-Store ... let's see ... oh ZERO ... nvm ...

Of course they're happening. They just unveiled pilot ships, and the Risian stuff was all marketed as pilot ships before there were pilot ships. Just as the 2nd Anni Ody was a limited-time giveaway replaced with a C-Store upgrade.
    Greenbird
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Now...Lobi Store on the other hand. ;)
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Constantly claiming to be rational while spouting 'wish-fulfilment' talk of "T6 Risian C-Store is Certain!".

Nope, don't think that is rational, and not sure C-Store T6 Risian refits are that certain.

Even if they do happen, I don't see "expensive T6 is slightly better than a free T5-U" as "we all win".
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
    edited May 2015

Yeah ... but I'm not sure how stockpiling Lobi would be any more "reasonable" or "rational", than stockpiling Lolwut Pearls ;)
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That's it, I'm done.

This is ridiculous. Worse, this is arbitrary. You're taking something away for no other reason than to pad your damned metrics. At least in other situations where players have had things taken away from them, it was to move forward with something new and usually better. But you're just taking this away to replace it with something that's the same, just with a new name.

And just what purpose does retiring the old ships serve? This is a complete 180 from the previous years' events, and the only reason you give is "exclusivity"? Where was this reasoning after the first Winter Event? I would have been okay with year-exclusive ships if that had been the policy from the start, but you're changing directions after several years of a different established policy. You're throwing all of that out the window for no reason whatsoever. It's spiteful.
    edited May 2015
    Constantly claiming to be rational while spouting 'wish-fulfilment' talk of "T6 Risian C-Store is Certain!".

Nope, don't think that is rational, and not sure C-Store T6 Risian refits are that certain.

Never said it was certain, but probable they will be available in some way, as opposed to just being thrown out for no reason without the possibility for profitsssssss. And the Lobi Store is a thing for buying oddball ships for $$$$$$$.

Also, irrational people frustrated with rationality love to use the word 'spout' to describe the blinding light that shines forth from my posts. It's the damnedest thing.

Even if they do happen, I don't see "expensive T6 is slightly better than a free T5-U" as "we all win".

Then contraband. Cryptic even gave you a free alt to defraud them more.

Itchy correcticles, just dangling there.
    Yeah ... but I'm not sure how stockpiling Lobi would be any more "reasonable" or "rational", than stockpiling Lolwut Pearls ;)

Because Lobi can cost real $$$ easier and more consistently during and after the Event. Cryptic gets $$$, game doesn't drown in debt. The Chinese execs win. Our gweilo devs win. We players win.
    Greenbird
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Retire the pearls and make a lobi sale at the same time.

Cryptic, you're making it too obvious.
    edited May 2015
    takeguru wrote: »

What's the obvious part ? Last time I checked, Ships are/would be excluded from the Sale anyway ...
    Because Lobi can cost real $$$ easier and more consistently during and after the Event. Cryptic gets $$$, game doesn't drown in debt. The Chinese execs win. Our gweilo devs win. We players win.

Yeah what a genius conclusion ... why not retire Lobi as well ... even more $$$ for Cryptic ... Everyone wins ... especially Charlie Sheen ...
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    oceansong wrote: »
    another blatant attempt to grab cash, nothing more.

Wait , I thought that it was a blatant attempt to grab some lolnuts !

Err ... I mean pearls .

... nope, the second one didn't sound any better than the first ...
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    takeguru wrote: »

Meh, they do it all the time. They have a Lobi Sale...people spend their Lobi on stuff on sale...then something better comes along. They do it with Zen too.
  • borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's about starship slots. Think about it. If you have the old ships you have them exclusively. You can NEVER dismiss them. Now all event ships will be this way. One time to earn them and then you must have that slot taken up.

Metrics, starship slots, $$$

Time to boycott STO. The game is getting way too grindy and zero fun as it is. And now new wallets since you made a delta recruit you can not haz any last year ships because we say so LOL.
  • borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    beameddown wrote: »
    honestly,

I think the best way to show what you think of store, a product, etc is to vote with your time and money

cause that's what they are after

metrics baby:)

and lets be honest about all the summer ships and the winter ships, they are so-so

they really are, they are nothing that is amazing, SO if your already set up with a good ship, your happy with your build, your kicking butt taking names...

and you don't approve of this move by cryptic..

vote with your money and time

they ARE looking for a head count down there, and if you don't think your "vote" doesn't matter, IT does man, every vote counts

SO have fun in the game you already paid/grinded/earned your time in, go have fun with your friends.. its folks that do that- that will really CHANGE how cryptic conducts themselves:)

No - they will just find new wallets, i mean recruits to bring to the game. It more and more seems to be that cryptic is trying to get rid of the long timers and start with new naive playerbase.

Oh well more time to play some Kerbal Space Program. This was the final straw.
  • huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Terrible change. 'nuff said.

nm, not 'nuff said...

How is this any benefit to the community? It isn't. Exclusivity. pssspht. There is no huge player group up in arms about exclusivity. Heck I doubt there is even a small group wishing for it.

This is all about you and not the players. Someone say one of your "metrics" somewhere this cut into store purchases how ever slightly and that is the sole reason for the change. Sheesh fun events now have turned into profit motive.
  • blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All pearls have now been upgraded to the black, almost indistinguishable loot items introduced at the beginning of this season.

As this item was not immediately clear to some players, it has been redesigned to prominently feature a middle finger.

Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.