test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aesica wrote: »
    1) Most of the items in the compensation store are decent, especially considering cryptic could've just rendered the currency useless. The exception is the emotes. A very cool concept, but considering they're all going to be moved to the GPL store eventually, this is a trap item. People who haven't read the news post on this site will likely be the only people who buy them. Hell, when I first saw them, I thought "hey, I'll buy those, that's cool!" ...then I saw the part about them being in the GPL store later on. Nope. Bad move.
    They are decent, if you're interested in that sort of thing. I'd rather trade the Pearls in for Favors instead. Gonna need those for the event, and for those who don't, favors are tradeable.
    2) Retiring the Risan Corvette & Luxury Cruiser. HORRIBLE idea. Granted, I realize they're only T5-U, but they're still game assets some enjoy. And what about the consoles? Is the 2015 ship going to be able to use them? If they're being retired, hopefully not. This is just 1 more small way my delta recruit is never going to be as good as my older characters. Too many doors with limited-time goodies behind them are being closed, shutting out newer characters.
    Its weird they're not even done with Delta Recruit -- which was supposed to be about helping new players catch up -- when they're already declaring to new players that they can never catch up, because yet more stuff is made lost forever.
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just logged in with my alt who had 1000 Pearls saved. Browsed the store. Seems that you have to be at least max level 60 to buy the Spec Points. Rage Face ensues.
  • adastra1930adastra1930 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Guys, doesn't anyone think that the new ships might even be *better* than the ones they're retiring? I know we all have our old faves, but I personally am looking forward to something new and exciting. I haven't got room to have a massive collection, so I look at the ships I earn from events like trophies on a wall :)
    =/\= ==================== = /\ =
    Fleet Admiral Kenna
    Producer/Host Priority One Podcast
    Twitter @adastra1930
    Per Aspera, Ad Astra
    =/\= ==================== =/\=
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    According to what Dev Trendy said
    Trendy isn't a dev. Nor is she a modeler, artist, systems engineer, or anyone who has anything whatsoever to do with the development of the game. She's the community manager and her role is basically to facilitate communication between us and the people who actually do make these decisions.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Guys, doesn't anyone think that the new ships might even be *better* than the ones they're retiring? I know we all have our old faves, but I personally am looking forward to something new and exciting. I haven't got room to have a massive collection, so I look at the ships I earn from events like trophies on a wall :)
    Better by what metric?

Because pretty much the only thing they could do with this year's ship that would neutralize most of the outrage would be if it ended up being a T6 version of the ship that people can no longer get--and that visually and functionally, there is no reason to need the T5 version anymore. if they did that, it would've been a lot smarter to announce that before or alongside this announcement--it would've pre-emptively neutralized a lot of the outrage.

If it's a new, unrelated ship that is completely awesome and better than the Corvette statistically but doesn't look anything like it, then how good it is is beside the point: it's a different thing. People can be happy they have the chance to get the new ship while still being pissed that they will still never have an opportunity to get last year's.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • m1957flaxm1957flax Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have read all previous posts (the ones that survived) and to sum it up:

Noone really supports that decision. There are a few "I don't really care" statements. As far as I understand even the positive statements are not entirely supportive (and they were as seldom as raindrops in hell).

Take a clue, cryptic. This has been a terrible decision and you will pay for it.
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Retiring Lohlunat Pearls Thread: The Music Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDnTJcjPhY

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • nuclearwesslenuclearwessle Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I have no doubt that it will be better. And if it comes with a new console plus the two old ones I have zero problems. Or if the two older consoles (not ships) were made available by other means Id have no problems, and a good chunk of the concerns on this thread would be dealt with.

If, however , the ship is better, and it comes with a console with a set bonus requiring the older two consoles, and that set bonus is awesome, then effectively any new player or alt is getting less for the same amount of effort.

Every MMO Ive played has time sensitive items that never come back. This is nothing new. Most, if not all of those items are cosmetic, not gameplay related. Its hard to play a game when the person youre running with has an item that makes them better and you will never be able to have that item no matter what you do.

But for now I suppose this is a hypothetical problem that hasnt happened yet. For all I know there will be no console set bonus, or it will be fireworks or dancing space ponies or a clickable that shoots bird feathers or something.

I am sad that my KDF science Delta Recruit will likely not be able to get the Breen Carrier with Raider pets given the shortage of KDF science ships.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If I would've known that they'd offer spec points, I wouldn't have wasted my pearls on that ugly yacht. And I would've been more incentivized to grind.

Spec points are far more valuable to me than a collectible Gimmick ship.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015

New Ships ? Plural ? Any Source on that ... as others have said ... if they'd replace both Ships with T6 Versions & add a completely new one ... I'm fine with it ... not gonna happen, though
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited May 2015
    m1957flax wrote: »
    I have read all previous posts (the ones that survived) and to sum it up:

Noone really supports that decision. There are a few "I don't really care" statements. As far as I understand even the positive statements are not entirely supportive (and they were as seldom as raindrops in hell).

Take a clue, cryptic. This has been a terrible decision and you will pay for it.

If comments could be rated, you'd have my UP vote.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have no doubt that it will be better. And if it comes with a new console plus the two old ones I have zero problems. Or if the two older consoles (not ships) were made available by other means Id have no problems, and a good chunk of the concerns on this thread would be dealt with.

If, however , the ship is better, and it comes with a console with a set bonus requiring the older two consoles, and that set bonus is awesome, then effectively any new player or alt is getting less for the same amount of effort.

Every MMO Ive played has time sensitive items that never come back. This is nothing new. Most, if not all of those items are cosmetic, not gameplay related. Its hard to play a game when the person youre running with has an item that makes them better and you will never be able to have that item no matter what you do.

But for now I suppose this is a hypothetical problem that hasnt happened yet. For all I know there will be no console set bonus, or it will be fireworks or dancing space ponies or a clickable that shoots bird feathers or something.

I am sad that my KDF science Delta Recruit will likely not be able to get the Breen Carrier with Raider pets given the shortage of KDF science ships.

I agree with all of this. Let me get the consoles and I'm fine with not having the ships.

I hope they'll bring back the Breen carrier for Winter 2016 and give us a way to get the frigate pets, but I'm not going to whine if they don't. I have it already on 7 alts and I thank Cryptic for giving me this nice T6 for free.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How it should have been handled:

"Good news captains! The shipyards of Risa, home of the speedy Corvette, have begun to produce an upgraded version of the sleek Corvette. All the speed, all of the style, everything you've come to expect from the racer's racer now with modernized systems.

Due to retooling of their production facilities the classic version will no longer be produced.

Clientele looking for a bit more luxury shouldn't fret, the facilities for the famous Luxury Cruisers haven't launched any new ships recently but there's been a lot of activity going on."
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How it should have been handled:

"Good news captains! The shipyards of Risa, home of the speedy Corvette, have begun to produce an upgraded version of the sleek Corvette. All the speed, all of the style, everything you've come to expect from the racer's racer now with modernized systems.

Due to retooling of their production facilities the classic version will no longer be produced.

Clientele looking for a bit more luxury shouldn't fret, the facilities for the famous Luxury Cruisers haven't launched any new ships recently but there's been a lot of activity going on."

uh-huh.... and what about those who want the old corvette? What about those who wanted a science vessel/cruiser/carrier?
    signature.png
  • nobody0806nobody0806 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    uh-huh.... and what about those who want the old corvette? What about those who wanted a science vessel/cruiser/carrier?

Those who would Complain about wanting the Old Version of the Corvette and the Yacht when there are New Upgraded T6 Versions Avaible....that would be Elite Whining and Crying, i WISH they would Retire the old Ones in order to Bring Upgraded T6 Versions of those 2 Ships AND and on top of that add the Third Brand New Ship to it, that like most People Expect should be a Science / Science Carrier, BAM Everyone would be Happily Grind for those 3 Ships and Forget that they have Grinded Pearls Last Year that are Useless Now, but that would make us Happy being Happy Means Having Fun and FUN is FUTILE and will be Assimilated :(
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

This is kinda Irrelevant right now, unless they offer us a T6 Corvette AND a T6 Cruiser this year people are going to be upset.

Not to mention if they do offer up T6 'vettes and cruisers, what about something new? How long would we have to wait for an entirely new Summer ship? One year? Two? More?

Unless Cryptic offers up T6 Corvettes, Cruisers and a new ship this year people are going to be upset, and even if they do offer up all of those ships, some completionist/collector players will still be saddened that the T5's are no longer available... :(

(Especially since the summer/winter ships have always been available during the next year's event, people have grown to plan new toons around this, only to have it yanked away right before the event, most uncool)
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited May 2015

They'll do like the T6 Jem'Hadar Attack Ship: everything identical up to the old model, except with additional bonuses like a universal console, 1 higher-ranked station, 2 hybrids stations, a starship trait and an additional +5 power to something.

Except at least, in this case, you don't need to ruin yourself or be lucky once again.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I doubt this is a divide and conquer thing. For one thing, I don't see much of a talent for that kind of subtlety in Cryptic's management. ;)

For another, a lot of us fall into more than one of those categories. Not all of my characters will benefit from the "rebate" or be able to claim a previous ship. Some of the characters that already have them don't/won't use them; they're indefinitely drydocked.

Finally, there seems to be pretty strong consensus about a lot of this. Hard to divide a player community that's more or less unified in their displeasure. :D

Hehe... Just because it seems unsuccessful so far doesn't mean it's not a Div & Con attempt...

I am noticing some factions forming in the thread, it just seems so far that the factions hate this change more then they hate each other, the enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that.

How it pans out will depend a lot on exactly what ship gets offered for the Risa event. ;)
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • niboclodhopniboclodhop Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So... the ship emote thing. WTH? Is this a friggin' joke? I can't believe anyone would think that is a good idea for a somewhat serious space game. Can I filter them off at least?
  • sifadiussifadius Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So much rage for nothing.

There is this argument going on about new players can't keep up with that are around for a long time.

So how should new players have stockpiles of perls to get the old ships anyway?
    And why should they care about the old t5 ships when they can get a t6?

Players that have not yet finished but started last years ships will be able to finish them as is stated in the post.

Reading a lot of these posts i have this nagging litte feeling that a lot of the outrage is in fact because some ppl will not get their new shiny toy on day one and thats all there is about.

And as far as i remember there was a lot of outrage about the risian ships and that the devs should spend their time with more important stuff then coming up with ships like that.
    Looks like suddenly the oppinion has changed a lot.

I'm way more happy to get some skill points for my stocked up perls then i would be with getting the new ship on day one.
    Doing a daily that takes what? 5mins? I wouldn't even consider that as grinding and usualy there is enough Time for the event to get it with toon A and then for a discount with toon B-Z.

And besides, getting some new currency to get new stuff is a thing that happens with other mmo's on a regulary basis and no one said it couldn't happen here.
    But i have never seen so much outrage and really insulting answering to something you may not like (wich would be perfectly ok if so) before... maybe some ppl take all this a bit too seriously for a video game?
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sifadius wrote: »

Uhm what ... who said they would ...

Consoles i.E. & not everyone wants to fly Ship X just because it's shiny & new ... some people actually care about their Toons Career Choice, Design etc etc etc
    Reading a lot of these posts i have this nagging litte feeling that a lot of the outrage is in fact because some ppl will not get their new shiny toy on day one and thats all there is about.

Reading isn't your strong suit I guess ...
    And as far as i remember there was a lot of outrage about the risian ships and that the devs should spend their time with more important stuff then coming up with ships like that.

.... q.e.d. ....
    Doing a daily that takes what? 5mins? I wouldn't even consider that as grinding and usualy there is enough Time for the event to get it with toon A and then for a discount with toon B-Z.

Yeah ... q.e.d. ... nobody gives a **** about that ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015

There is this argument going on about new players can't keep up with that are around for a long time.

Players that have not yet finished but started last years ships will be able to finish them as is stated in the post.

I'm way more happy to get some skill points for my stocked up perls then i would be with getting the new ship on day one.

And besides, getting some new currency to get new stuff is a thing that happens with other mmo's on a regulary basis and no one said it couldn't happen here.
    But i have never seen so much outrage and really insulting answering to something you may not like (wich would be perfectly ok if so) before... maybe some ppl take all this a bit too seriously for a video game?

So, what's your response to people like me?

I had commitments the last 2 summers and couldn't do more than grind 400~ pearls each time
    I never slotted a project, because there isn't a point if you can't pay for it all at once.

So, now I'm shafted on 2 ships + their consoles, and none of my DRs can do it now either.

And if this carries over to the winter event, will I even be able to get my carrier that I missed out on as well?
    edited May 2015

Nearly 100 Pages shows that its not NOTHING dont you think?

1.Yes New Players could not Stockpile Pearls but Veterans / Old Ones DID and that Time is Wasted now thanks to those Changes.

2.There are no Words about a T6 Corvette and T6 Yacht Replacement if they do GREAT, but i dont think so, the New Ship will most Likely a Science Ship, what should a Tactical or an Engineering Character do with a Science Ship? Or if one Likes the Corvette / Yacht and would like to have it, WHY not Let them? Any Logical Reason for that? NO!

3.People who are Complaning that they cant get the New Ship have every Right to do so, they SPEND the Time Last Year to Stockpile the Pears FAIR and SQUARE.

4.Many Peoples may not Like the Corvette and the Yacht but also many DO, Every Ship in the Game has Likes and Dislikes, is that a Valid Reason to Remove those Ships???? I and many People HATE the look of the Eclipse, now what, should they Remove that too? and thats just one Example.

5.You like your Skill Points? Fine Others would like to get their Ships Instead, is that a Problem? Many Peeps around here allready said that they could Live with RE-Grinding the New Currency for the Ship(s) BUT they would also like to be able to get the 2 Old Ships EVEN if they have to RE-Grind for them too...so...WHY not Let them????

6.7 The New Currency thing is Annoying, but the Main Problem is them Taking away the Corvette and the Yacht! And if People RaGe than that has its Reasons, Cryptic give those People ALL Reasons to do so, yet still they DONT CARE, and that makes the Ragers even MORE RAGING, Got my Point?

Small Changes to the Game System?...Well Changes happen we can Adept
    Taking Away Stuff from the Game that was Always Avaible (on Events) UNACCEPTABLE and a TERRIBLE DECISION ***TERRIBLE***
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So. I read this. Spent a day trying to consider it. And I have .

I don't like this change. I think this will reduce participation from people in two ways.

People who think they can get the main prize will do jusat enough to get it and stop. Unlike now where they can keep going and prep for next year. But usually those people just keep doing it the whole time anyways just so that they can be ready for every year.

The people who don't think they will have the time to complete the main project will not even go to Risa. This group used to do what they can and slot the projects in the hopes that the following year they will have the time to get it done. This new way is setup to either succeed or loose it all. So you have to decide, before even trying, do you think you have the time to get it done. And if you think you don't, you won't even start.

But what's even worse in my mind is the forum rage from the people that will have started thinking they could complete and then have real life step in and squash that chance. Those people will feel anger, disappointment or sadness over the fact that the game choose to change the system to this new, user unfriendly system.

I really don't see the need for any of the propsed changes. Nor do I support the logic involved.

I really hope they choose to rethink this and change it back.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
    edited May 2015
    beameddown wrote: »
    Im betting troll:)

And his Troll-Fu is pretty weak at that. He could have been a bit more subtle and tried to point out the merits of this decision (even though there are none), but he went for the low-hanging fruit and tipped his hand.
    edited May 2015
    Page Number 100 Reached, and the RAGE goes one, Some Cryptic Employes should Start to Rethink and Fix their Mistake / Decisions, cause People aint be HaPpY cause Taking away is not goooood M'Keyyy???? But Seriously, Youre Decisions are WRONG ones, so just Accept it and Step Back, or you Will PAY with BAD Metrics and Less Money at the end of the Month, is it that what you want????:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • adamrezeau1982adamrezeau1982 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    New player here, and by new I mean I joined in October-ish, have almost if not over 900 hours in game already, 7 characters total at present was LOOKING FORWARD to getting the Risian Corvette and Cruiser with my fianc
  • spacemoonsallyspacemoonsally Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I had over 500 Pearls saved up up from last year and personally it doesn't upset me that they are being retired. I understand how allowing them to carry over to the next year undermines what makes those event rewards special. And I am very thankful for the fact that you are allowing us to spend our saved up pearls on various goodies, because I've been in other games where they would have just been taken from us with no compensation.

However, I would like to voice my concern for your new rule of "All in-progress Summer Reputation projects will be removed at the end of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival." I know some players can only afford to login a few times a week, not allowing them to continue the special projects the next year seems a bit harsh. At the very least I hope you intend to refund any "Pearls" spent on unfinished projects you remove.
This discussion has been closed.