test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• adastra1930adastra1930 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Imma just jump in here and be the voice of the positive people :D since I think angry forum people make a lot more noise than happy forum people...

I think it's a good thing that you have to start over each year, I never saw the point of saving up. Why would you want *last year's* ship when you can earn a shiny new one? And I think it's good they're retiring the old ones, otherwise, if you could just get them if you hang around long enough, then what's the point of ever doing the event?

On elites vs newbies: I think it's right that new players should take a while to accumulate as many goodies as lifers, gives them something to work towards.

TL;DR I think this thread is much ado about nothing.
    =/\= ==================== = /\ =
    Fleet Admiral Kenna
    Producer/Host Priority One Podcast
    Twitter @adastra1930
    Per Aspera, Ad Astra
    =/\= ==================== =/\=
  • painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why would anyone bag on Taco? he has no hand in this nor can he do anything about it.....

Agreed. But god forbid that the responsible parties actually come forth on the forums as having done so. I think I have a greater chance of winning powerball numbers though--and I don't play.

Where I work, there's this this called "professional accountability". Which means that if you royally mess something up, you take ownership for doing so. I would probably have an aneurysm if that ever happened with PWE or Cryptic.
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why would anyone bag on Taco? he has no hand in this nor can he do anything about it.....

Nobody did, unless it was in the 2 posts that got mod-edited. Mainly he got bundled in with Trendy in the Company PR People category by somebody who didn't realize he's a scenic artist who happens to use the forum, and that this Risian thing isn't his fault.

I'm not a big fan of Taco's work, I class Season 10 Taco-Space as an utter disaster, based on whats been broken while implementing it, but thats a different thread. I can't see the point in blaming him for stuff he had no involvement with.

Some people just don't look past that "works for the company" orange forum name...
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • captainkroncaptainkron Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not sure why ppl attack folks that are actually stong advocates for general player base. That does not help fortifie their point. I am not fan of decision, but the bosses that make the calls you will never hear from them directly. Like going to Wal-mart do you talk to the Chairman on your shopping trip? If you do you are a big dawg!!! :).
    CibJ7qu.jpg?1
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why would you want *last year's* ship when you can earn a shiny new one?

Because you were in hospital, or on holiday last year and didn't manage to get 1000 lolwuts for it then, so this year you use your saved 800 lolwuts, grind another 200 , get the ship you missed, then grind another 1000 for this years ship.
    And I think it's good they're retiring the old ones, otherwise, if you could just get them if you hang around long enough, then what's the point of ever doing the event?

You don't get them for hanging around, you get them for doing the events, sooner or later, last year, this year, or next year.
    On elites vs newbies: I think it's right that new players should take a while to accumulate as many goodies as lifers, gives them something to work towards.

Wrong, this change doesn't mean new players have to work a bit to get the shinies, it means they will NEVER get these shnies, and have NOTHING to work towards.

"Nothing" appears to be how much of this thread you have read and understood.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not sure why ppl attack folks that are actually stong advocates for general player base. That does not help fortifie their point. I am not fan of decision, but the bosses that make the calls you will never hear from them directly. Like going to Wal-mart do you talk to the Chairman on your shopping trip? If you do you are a big dawg!!! :).

Trendy and Taco are the only visible targets. That's why they get shot at.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Trendy and Taco are the only visible targets. That's why they get shot at.

Obviously hasn't read the thread, let alone the page. lol.

To keep on topic, this thread is about Risian Pearls, not devs, not Cryptic or it's affiliates, not me, not even about STO in general, but only about Pearls.

According to what Trendy said earlier in the thread, it's been left open because it's an important issue and feedback is welcome. I'm sure if it's constructive as opposed to fraught with emotion it would help, but we gamers can become attached, sometimes too much. At this very moment, real people are recovering from injuries sustained in yesterday's train derailment in Philadelphia, are risking their lives in the cold of the Himalayas searching for survivors from a crashed helicopter while trying to aid cold an hungry survivors of the Nepal earthquake... That's the reality existing this very moment beyond the confines of our virtual reality. Let's be considerate of ourselves and others. You guys are the ones after all who keep repeating it's just a game. Perhaps now is the time to act like it.

Lest we forget, the real world has no respawn button.
  • painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Imma just jump in here and be the voice of the positive people :D since I think angry forum people make a lot more noise than happy forum people...

I think it's a good thing that you have to start over each year, I never saw the point of saving up. Why would you want *last year's* ship when you can earn a shiny new one? And I think it's good they're retiring the old ones, otherwise, if you could just get them if you hang around long enough, then what's the point of ever doing the event?

1. No, it's just that the people who agree with Cryptic are heard the most loudly. Cryptic gets far more "boo's" than "hooray's", but it flippantly discards the negative. I think this game must be programmed on all Apple products, because the reality distortion field is in full effect.

2. In light of how many grinds this game now has, no it's not a good thing. Saving up was a way of insulating oneself against the hassle of traveling to/from the event location, which interfered with playing other areas of the game during the event. Killing off queued projects after event is insult upon injury.

3. Then what in the sam hell was Delta Recruits for? I just spent an INORDINATELY large amount of my playtime grinding DR...and now they turn around and act like the whole premise of that was rubbish? Ok, sure....recruits and forcing people to play Cryptic's way IS rubbish...but now they're contradicting themselves in the VERY NEXT EVENT. The mind reels at the logic here.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    From the blog:

We want to maintain the exclusivity and collectability of the event ships from the Summer Event each year, and in order to do that we will be retiring the existing Risian Lohlunat Pearls. When the 2015 Summer Event begins, an entirely new currency will be needed to acquire the event starship. This will be the process going forward – a new item to be collected each year.

Our goal for this change is to ensure that everyone participates on equal footing for the release of each year's new ship

Changing the currency every so often is one thing. I could adapt to it with no problem, since I don't stockpile event currency. My character storage space is better utilized for other things.

But a new currency every year? I don't think that I'm kosher with this.

There are people who do stock up for next year's event. Often with legit reasons, such as possible time constraints over the course of the event. Or to cover their bases in the event of something unforeseen cutting into play time.

This change could put a damper on that safety net.

And even if it's just stocking up to cut back on the grind over the course of an event, so what? One of the big things in the last year or so was cutting back on the grind throughout the game. This would be a reversal of that. And it's a bigger "ouch" since the Summer Event is a limited run, annual deal.

Not cool in my book. I hate to dredge up a tired-assed forum cliche, but this does (in this case, at least) seem to be an unnecessary annual change to boost game metrics. Players, and a good time, is what should matter. Not raw population numbers alone.
  • adamrezeau1982adamrezeau1982 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have mixed feelings about this one. I don't usually post, but I want to speak up about this one after reading the forums. We all have a different personal experience. I am disappointed that I neglected to slot the project for last year's ship on an alt, and now I'll have no chance to change that. I was looking forward to this summer to finally claim the Risian cruiser that I'd assumed I already had. My mistake I can live with. What I cannot abide is the vitriol I have read in the forums. There is no place for such speech. Overall, I think the currency change is a positive move; however, it does continue to marginalize newer characters versus those like myself who have a degree of privilege after having played for several years. Delta Recruits specifically are disadvantaged, and this comes after saying "it’s the most new-player friendly the game has been in almost two years. I would hope to see a compromise that may allow for the purchase of the retired Risian consoles from the reputation store. While the retired ships still remain exclusive, such a compromise would further attempts to put players on even footing. It is fair to reward players' loyalty with a visible status symbol of the time they have invested in the game. However, it would not be appropriate to perpetuate a systemic advantage in the form of set bonuses that would disproportionately favor veteran players solely on the grounds that "we were here first."
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Having overnight to cool my britches, and some time to skim through 60 pages since I made my posts, I can see a recurring defense.

The spec points are NOT a valid payment for this.

Too many people can't use them because they gated them behind being level 60.

The emotes are garbage and you'd have to be damaged to spend pearls on them when they're coming to the GPL store.

This is still a terrible decision, and making the announcement about the change right before the event kicks off is a terrible way to run your game.

I can only hope this level of complaint stops them from pulling this TRIBBLE in the future, because if I end up gated out of the Breen Carrier because I didn't have a PC at the time, I'll just uninstall and go back to the SWGEmu project.
    At least there I'll be notified before I get screwed over.
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So, will pearls become account wide as lobi now?
  • captainkroncaptainkron Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    On topic of Pearl conversion, what has more value spec points or upgrades/ R&D? Oh forgot some ppl want hand jesters above their ships!! Lol. The only jester I want to emote is bandwd. Ha ha.
    CibJ7qu.jpg?1
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think it would make more sense that everybody be given the opportunity to get the corvette and the cruiser NOW before they go away. NOT what they are currently proposing.
    signature.png
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dkratasco wrote: »
    So, will pearls become account wide as lobi now?

No ? Pearls are basically gone forever ... what'd be the point of making them Acc-Bound all of a sudden ? Equal Garbage Disposal ?
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No ? Pearls are basically gone forever ... what'd be the point of making them Acc-Bound all of a sudden ?

So we can at least choose to invest our turn-in rewards into one character or more. I wish there was a way my 737 lolwuts currently going toward the cruiser could be given back so I can use them for other things. It would even be more beneficial if I could consolidate them and use them to help get one of my 57s or 58s to 60.
    signature.png
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Obviously hasn't read the thread, let alone the page. lol.

They should really take a page from the WW[F|E] and set some poor TRIBBLE up as the heel to take the abuse instead of Trendy.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    if I could consolidate them and use them to help get one of my 57s or 58s to 60.

Any form of "Spec Point Reward" or "XP Boost", is Level 60 exclusive ... if you're Level 57 etc you're stuck with R&D Packs ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • celebcucelebcu Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whether you ground on the old event or now - YOU STILL HAD TO FREAKING GRIND. I was hoping to get the old ships cos you know summer event - I didn't get to do the last times, because it was the freaking Summer and I was vactioning or working elsewhere from home. This is just BS, I have defended Cryptic in chats many times but never again, doubt I'll even bother with events any more as I can't play every day so I wuill never get to complete a ship project, so much for making us play more
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    WHEN do my pearls become invalid? How long do I have to get my level 57 to 60 so I can spend her 200 pearls on a spec point?
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just adding my opinion on what they should have added to this pearl retirement.

Pearls should have been changed to bound to account,For those with alts this would have been ideal,could have transferred all pearls to your main.

Should have been another item costing 1 pearl that you don't have to be level 60 to claim.Not all peoples alts are level 60,so some will be stuck with extra pearls they can't spend.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    {snip}

I doubt this is a divide and conquer thing. For one thing, I don't see much of a talent for that kind of subtlety in Cryptic's management. ;)

For another, a lot of us fall into more than one of those categories. Not all of my characters will benefit from the "rebate" or be able to claim a previous ship. Some of the characters that already have them don't/won't use them; they're indefinitely drydocked.

Finally, there seems to be pretty strong consensus about a lot of this. Hard to divide a player community that's more or less unified in their displeasure. :D
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jstewart55 wrote: »
    No one cares about TOS. :-P
    Some of us *only* care about TOS.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I honestly could care less if they change the "currency" every event, that's acceptable. But retiring the ships is just a very stupid move. Keep the ships available for those who want to get em, and just have the project to get them this Summer require the new currency.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have a few things to say, and they'll likely get lost under the sea of other posts that are sure to come, but here goes anyway.

The good:

1) Retiring the pearls needed to happen and it was only a matter of time. I currently have 960 pearls saved up from last year to be spent on this year's ship. Had they not chose to retire them, I'd be cruising around in the new ship on day 1. That's just silly. Other games (to use wow as an example) do something similar by causing their event-specific currency to expire at the end of the event. It's really not a big deal.

2) Offering compensation for them is great too. To use wow as an example again, when they try stuff like this, they don't take the time to offer compensation stores like this. Just something to think about. As for what's offered...well I'll cover that under "the bad."

The bad:

1) Most of the items in the compensation store are decent, especially considering cryptic could've just rendered the currency useless. The exception is the emotes. A very cool concept, but considering they're all going to be moved to the GPL store eventually, this is a trap item. People who haven't read the news post on this site will likely be the only people who buy them. Hell, when I first saw them, I thought "hey, I'll buy those, that's cool!" ...then I saw the part about them being in the GPL store later on. Nope. Bad move.

2) Retiring the Risan Corvette & Luxury Cruiser. HORRIBLE idea. Granted, I realize they're only T5-U, but they're still game assets some enjoy. And what about the consoles? Is the 2015 ship going to be able to use them? If they're being retired, hopefully not. This is just 1 more small way my delta recruit is never going to be as good as my older characters. Too many doors with limited-time goodies behind them are being closed, shutting out newer characters.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
    edited May 2015
    WHEN do my pearls become invalid? How long do I have to get my level 57 to 60 so I can spend her 200 pearls on a spec point?

There hasn't been any time limit stated, so starting from today they will allow anyone with leftover pearls to trade them in, though I know some collectors will keep a few for display value. That option will be available perhaps until this fall, when they drop unfilled summer event projects.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It would be nice if they would make the pearls account bound. I have several characters who have them, but they are in small amounts.... 80 here, 40 there, etc. and with the way the conversion items are priced, it's going to be hard to get rid of all of them unless I gather them up onto one character.

Otherwise I am stuck buying either emotes or the crafting packs on the characters that do have them and have just smaller numbers of pearls scattered across the same characters.

Poor planning on my part? In hind-sight, yes! But in defense, I wasn't expecting a complete devaluing of event "currency".
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This whole idea of getting rid of hoarded Pearls reminded me of this:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11121/111213005/4332708-0181476893-fc,55.jpg
    edited May 2015
    aesica wrote: »
    I have a few things to say, and they'll likely get lost under the sea of other posts that are sure to come, but here goes anyway.

The good:

1) Retiring the pearls needed to happen and it was only a matter of time. I currently have 960 pearls saved up from last year to be spent on this year's ship. Had they not chose to retire them, I'd be cruising around in the new ship on day 1. That's just silly. Other games (to use wow as an example) do something similar by causing their event-specific currency to expire at the end of the event. It's really not a big deal.

2) Offering compensation for them is great too. To use wow as an example again, when they try stuff like this, they don't take the time to offer compensation stores like this. Just something to think about. As for what's offered...well I'll cover that under "the bad."

The bad:

1) Most of the items in the compensation store are decent, especially considering cryptic could've just rendered the currency useless. The exception is the emotes. A very cool concept, but considering they're all going to be moved to the GPL store eventually, this is a trap item. People who haven't read the news post on this site will likely be the only people who buy them. Hell, when I first saw them, I thought "hey, I'll buy those, that's cool!" ...then I saw the part about them being in the GPL store later on. Nope. Bad move.

2) Retiring the Risan Corvette & Luxury Cruiser. HORRIBLE idea. Granted, I realize they're only T5-U, but they're still game assets some enjoy. And what about the consoles? Is the 2015 ship going to be able to use them? If they're being retired, hopefully not. This is just 1 more small way my delta recruit is never going to be as good as my older characters. Too many doors with limited-time goodies behind them are being closed, shutting out newer characters.

That just about sums it up. And politely too. I vote you one of the most concise posts in this thread. There, now you won't have to worry about being lost. :)
  • nobody0806nobody0806 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Again i disagree with ALL Changes, but for F*** SAKE at least DONT Retire the Old Ships! Thats not a bad Idea...its a TERRIBLE IDEA! I can Live with Having to Grind again with Several Chars to get all 3 on all my Chars who dont have the 2 other yet, even so that its ANNOYING and just WRONG (Ship Number 3 is what ever they will add this Year)

but what Logical Decision could be behind such a CRAPIFIED Move??? Other than making People who wanted to get the Corvette and the Cruiser this Year, OUTRAGE and Start such a FIRE and THUNDERSTORM here on the Forum, why is it that you always make moves that are POINTLESS / ILLOGICAL and that you know will cause such Anger in beetwen your Customers? You want Metrics HELL Let the People Grind for ALL the Ships that they want to get and you have your Metrics!

This Exclusivity NONSENSE was not a Problem with the Last Winter Event where we could get ALL 3 SHIPS, so Spare us with that Cheap Excuse! Cryptic you made anothet BAD BAD sorry i mean TERRIBLE Decision, so just stand your Man, Accept your Mistake and at least SAVE the old 2 Ships from being LOST Forever, go on with your Pearls Devalueating if you must but LEAVE THE SHIPS ALONE C'MON! :eek::eek::eek:
This discussion has been closed.