test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Here's an Idea How about a community Board with rotating members

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    They can vote for whomever they want to represent them just like everyone else can.

You are aware that this thread, regardless of it's misguided intention, has been trolled from page one and you are buying into it right now? ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All politics is partisan, so it would be wise to let the established forum factions like the super whiners and the white knights and the pvpers have caucuses to select members for the committee from their own ranks, and juxtapose these with other more open wildcard seats.

maybe, but i'd soon play as an independant poking a sleeping dragon, if the dragon has any fire or if can fight is another matter entirely.

my job would be simple, to poke holes at the status quo and force them to reconsider some of their positions as an independant should do. if it gains popularity is another matter but it would then become enough that not even a dragon full awake and spitting fire would be able to deal with it if it does gain traction with the other players.

none the less, each party will have their own elected dictator and these dictators fight for control to lead the player council against other player groups.

thats not a good idea.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That's why you balance it with unelected, permanent members who have different interests.

Somone with 10+b EC probably knows a lot about the game economy, detailed knowledge, and can provide a perspective others can't. Somone who does 100k DPS knows all about DPS, somone who has spent ten grand on the game sees things from the perspective of a big spender, somone who organizes public service like NoP or Dental has a special perspective, etc.

And all have their own resources and wouldn't depend on keeping their forum factions happy, or be subject to any pressure at all. Look at Dental, they get so much hateful abuse, but they never let it affect their decisions. Any or all of them would just laugh in the face of a popular forum poster trying to fight for control of them.

But it wouldn't be representative of the game to just have those people on the council, you'd need to include a wide spectrum. The vocal forum factions could each choose a couple reps, and then open wildcard seats. And to make it truly fair, a mix of elected and lottery seats for the common players.

And so that players in game could easily identify their representatives, have arm bands for the rotating seats and ermine robes for the permanent ones, so players always knew who they were addressing.

again going back to a previous point i made yesterday, sometimes having the best players doesnt always mean you should focus on the best, i mean while they maybe the best and know what they are doing on the game, it becomes a matter of how stuck in their ways they become which would make them blind to other avenues that would help new players and others alike, at that point you would need the views of a newer player on the council to balance it out otherswie it just goes in one direction and nothing gets done. as you stated, a wider spectrum of players.

but having all these difference groups would create chaos, it would further splinter groups of players to their own camps further from a community which is why i mentioned it was a bad idea. and having their own aims and goals, selling out others, this wouldnt be a community, it would be something worse where schemeing and back room deals would be a common place like bribery if there is any proof of course. what one person would state as an honest opinion, others would see as a chance to split the point in half and drive it towards another agenda in the hopes of embarassing them at a later point.

all this politics would be bad. while i am a lone wolf, i wouldnt want to see the community fracture into smaller groups because of a player council ran by popularity or because one party has more influence then the others.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If the suggestion of permanent members to the board, to make sure everyone's view is taken into account, then every leader of a T5 Fleet should be a permanent member.

After all, any criteria you use to select permanent members, and rotating members would exclude players, which would not be equal and fair.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Funny, I thought certain countries fought wars of independence to get away from permanent, unelected rulers.

You mean like the US supreme court?
  • zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    You are aware that this thread, regardless of it's misguided intention, has been trolled from page one and you are buying into it right now? ;)

Nope, sounds like this whole thing is legit ! ;)
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    2010 called and they'd like their Advisory Council idea back ... .

5 year's & nothing's changed . Heh .
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You mean like the US supreme court?

In a way though, that's what Trendy and the Cryptic staff would be--unelected participants in the process (with a final say). I think if a council were implemented ALL player positions should be temporary only.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This thread still has over a 100 pages to go before catching up with the old one.
    Star Trek Online Advisory Council Formed

We're happy to introduce the Star Trek Advisory Council, where we speak to members of the Star Trek and Star Trek Online community to learn more about what our fans want from the game. Read on to learn more.

Cryptic announced they would be setting up an Advisory Council

“The first batch of participants was a starting place decided upon by a social networking firm that works for our folks at Atari. They gauged interest, received responses, and settled on a decent place to start the effort.”
  • crusader0007crusader0007 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Worst idea...sorry but just sound too childish. Creating little masters (dictators) won't solve the problem with STO.

They already have a good system as is with the community manager passing along information to the powers that be. It took a while but Brandon was a great role model to follow.

The Lag issue is a good example of how things have been passed down from players report to Community Manager to Devs...what else do you need in creating little dictators who whine and complain to their hearts content :D:D:D
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I fully support granting a special exclusive outfit to senior members of SFD, as suggested earlier, I'd go further, and grant them free in-game accommodation in an open pvp area...

Free inmate uniform and use of a cell in an open pvp Starfleet Max Security prison map, where non members get to play the invunerable heavily armed trigger happy holo-guards...

;)
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    LOL! Only the BEST people are fit to rule the forum! :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1FFVWEQnSM

I'm very happy that Cryptic will pay no attention.
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can think of a few BIG reasons this would be a bad idea:-

1) The forum is a very small minority of the total STO playerbase. Having an even smaller chunk of this already small minority been selected as effectively a focus group? You wont even come close on getting a picture of what the majority want, just a vocal minority.

2) It would give those selected an even larger sense of entitlement, making it even more difficult for them to move on when told no.

3) Those selected would quickly become targets for the trolls and flamers.

There are lots and lots of other reasons this would be a really bad idea, however those 3 really stand out.

If you really want a troll/flame free area, the only fair way is to let everybody in to begin with, and then trust in the mods, community manager etc to remove players who behave disruptively. Guess what happens then though? Yup, their pals gang up with them to decry the "evil money grabbing forum censors!".

Forums are the absolute WORST place that a games studio can look to for opinions on direction etc.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think mmo development should be organized like an anarco syndicalist commune
    Should I start posting again after all this time?