test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• borgqubborgqub Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I bought in the Delta Recruit idea.... Hell, I made it my main. I turned my head when I couldn't get the 4th piece for the command set... I praised them with the pilot ships...but this is make me upset. Each event I log in daily so I can get enough for the next year and bank it. I spend a hell of a lot of money on this game. I think I should start looking to spend my dollars in other games.... maybe EVE, or going back to WOW.:mad:
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...Doff Missions Nerfed...Patrols Nerfed....Red Alerts Nerfed.....Missions Rewards (Assimilation) Nerfed.....and Countless other Things...

Doff missions...1k+xp base for 12hrs vs 300-400 for 20hr. It's like plasma doping, people got spoiled on stuff they knew was over-rewarding, but they got dependent anyway.

Patrols, e.g. Argala, where a group could grind out an entire spec point in an hour at the best of times. Something which spawned its own whole crop of forum signatures. Honestly, at the reduced xp per run, it could have just been left without cooldowns for people to turn their brains numb.

Alerts are probably genuinely buggered for the time being, but the boss ship was never where I got most of the xp in the borg ones.

Lastly, assimilation's been like that for a couple of months, as far as I can recall. Given it's place in the story, the mark and rarity is not all that out of place, and the differences between a green/blue/purple module at the same mk. lvl are incremental at best. Story replay rewards are for alt/low-level gearing, not for being a font of end-game-ready stuff.
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    borgqub wrote: »
    I spend a hell of a lot of money on this game. I think I should start looking to spend my dollars in other games.... maybe EVE, or going back to WOW.:mad:

:eek:

Holy TRIBBLE! I know it was a bonehead move on Cryptic's part, but there's no need to get drastic! There are pandas in WoW you know. PANDAS!
  • stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I see two types of people who are upset:

1. People upset because they can't get the old Risian ships.
    2. People upset because they can't "twink" their new project with horded pearls from last year.

Well,

1. They introduce a new ship almost every year with the seasonal events anyway, what did you expect? Now that T6 is taking over everything, the T5 ships had to go at some point.

2. I don't think expecting everyone to have a fair/equal start on getting the new ship is unreasonable.

The pearl store looks cool, and some of the items are really useful. I almost wish I could trade my Risian corvette back for 1000 pearls to buy spec points with (I don't have any leftover pearls). And it's high time we had ship emotes other than fireworks.

In conclusion, I think the devs did the right thing. And yeah, this is also a transparent attempt at improving Risa summer metrics, but hey, they need to show management the numbers or they can't justify spending dev time on Risa.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tobiashirt wrote: »
    Doff missions...1k+xp base for 12hrs vs 300-400 for 20hr. It's like plasma doping, people got spoiled on stuff they knew was over-rewarding, but they got dependent anyway.
    Knowing you can get 400 XP with 4-hour assignments, 100 XP with 2-hour ones, it'd logically be much less "12-hour assignments give too much compared to 20-hour assignments" and much more "20 and 40-hour assignments give ridiculously much less than they should".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I haven't seen a Risan Cruiser in several months now, and the Corvette even less. It's just a cheesy Meh Award for giving Cryptic their precious metrics for three weeks.

I've been playing my DR, which could not possibly have a Corvette.

Others with Corvettes are probably doing the same.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    stararmy wrote: »
    In conclusion, I think the devs did the right thing. And yeah, this is also a transparent attempt at improving Risa summer metrics, but hey, they need to show management the numbers or they can't justify spending dev time on Risa.

Your / their logic is faulty ... if they're looking for numbers ... they won't get them from me anymore ... had a blast running the Event with multiple Toons last year ... but why on Earth, would I bother to spend more than 3min, on one Toon, doing "Flying High" now ... considering everything I'm willing to spend additonal time on, will just go poof ...

=> less time + less Alts from me ...
    => and since most of my Alts don't "have to" go to Risa anymore ... also no point in spending Favors for new Swimsuits & stuff ...

I guess I have to thank Cryptic ... by turning the Summer Event in a "only" 3min Grind without additional options, I'm going to save a lot of Time & Favors ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Knowing you can get 400 XP with 4-hour assignments, 100 XP with 2-hour ones, it'd logically be much less "12-hour assignments give too much compared to 20-hour assignments" and much more "20 and 40-hour assignments give ridiculously much less than they should".

Good point... reward-for-time, I did and still do the 15-min/1 hr uncommon and rare ones in exploration clusters as the core of skill points, tab out to do work, and set some 8hr ones off while I sleep. There seem to be a few gems left, as I've heard of large crits on Hamlet, but a big swath of missions I unfortunately never touch because they tie up doffs for too long.
  • bogyokillerbogyokiller Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2015

2. People upset because they can't "twink" their new project with horded pearls from last year.

Well,

1. They introduce a new ship almost every year with the seasonal events anyway, what did you expect? Now that T6 is taking over everything, the T5 ships had to go at some point.

[/I].[/B]

Okay so this is the part where i don't agree with you. So I totally understand that T6 ships have to be in use and ppl gotta change eventually to T6, BUT as i said earlier, I am collecting ships. and I wont be able to get the Corvett on that toon, which i think is sad. Also, you saying you love to trade your corvett into XP well in my case i LOVE TO trade my spec points for that ship. I have the ships JUST BECAUSE, and mostly they are usefull, all of them nice set up etc, and i could take any of them for STFs. Too bad you cannot sell these ships for something in exchange, because I would gladly give you stuff for it :D even XP or spec points if it would be possible.
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Well,

2. I don't think expecting everyone to have a fair/equal start on getting the new ship is unreasonable.

The pearl store looks cool, and some of the items are really useful. I almost wish I could trade my Risian corvette back for 1000 pearls to buy spec points with (I don't have any leftover pearls). And it's high time we had ship emotes other than fireworks.

And we have the first White Knight on his mighty steed coming into the thread. CLOPPITY-CLOPPITY-CLOPPITY!
  • jarekcyphusjarekcyphus Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Seriously, Cryptic. From what TRIBBLE did your team conjure the logic that led to this decision? Why would you—EVER—retire an opportunity to earn a ship that gives the player freedom of choice? Why would you ever pigeonhole your loyal players into a singular decision that may not even reflect their core interests?

I have never been more disappointed in owning a Lifetime Sub to this game. DR was bad enough. Now this. Just when I was getting interested in this game again.

See, folks? This is what happens when a company gets involved with public shareholders. They see dollar signs, not human beings who've longed for a genuine Star Trek gaming experience.
    STO-sig3.jpg~original
  • sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To be perfectly & brutally honest, does anyone actually KEEP using their Risan ships six months later? Yeah, it's cute to wear a holiday item like a Mardi Gras mask during Marti Gras, but to still be wearing it in August?

I haven't seen a Risan Cruiser in several months now, and the Corvette even less. It's just a cheesy Meh Award for giving Cryptic their precious metrics for three weeks.

Now, imagine if the majority of players simply said "no" and didn't bother to play that event, much like people tend to avoid Viscous Circle like the plague that it is. The Dev staff would totally lose their minds if that happened.

Yes. we do. Till I put them in t6 ships to grind traits, the 3 alts who have them still rode them. Was planning on moving the new ones from samsar to the cruiser. Just because we don't parade them across your view doesn't mean ppl don't use em. Couldn't wait to get my kdf engi out of the samsar and back into his cruiser. It can at least do more then. My main still flies the vette. Hell, anyone pissing and moaning about tour the galaxy should love the cruiser since it doubles the length of the slipstream being active.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Well,

What is this "Dev time" that you speak of?
    signature.png
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Well,

1. Maybe people don't want the ships because they are the latest, newest thing. Maybe people slot the old ships because they like them and either didn't have the opportunity, or didn't have that character made at the time of last year's event?

For me, never was one to fall head over heels in love with the Summer Event ships. I am more for the Winter Event ships, which this will undoubtedly affect when the time comes. I go to Risa simply because I think it's fun.

2. Fair/Equal start? Why should I be penalized because someone wasn't around during last year's event? Why should my work in acquiring extra pearls simply be disregarded? How about the other people who play STO, should they be penalized to satisfy Cryptic's damned metrics? I think not!

I do agree that at least SOME of the conversion purchases are fair and reasonable, and I will use up what few pearls I have for that. The problem remains though... How far is Cryptic going to go to take away our time and effort to acquire things like the Pearls and the 8x10s in-game and "essentially" FORCE players to play when they want us to in order to get the things we may want for these events.

For me, I have a job and can't be online constantly during the week to grind for these things. The only way I can get certain things during these events is to stockpile where I can as I have done in previous years... that way, I can usually have enough to buy whatever I want during the event and hopefully have some stockpiled for the next year, just in case I am not able to get the (i.e. 1000 Pearls) next year's new shiny.

With the way the News post is worded, some of us players who have jobs are going to be left out for having a job and not slaving ourselves to STO?

And you're defending this?
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    edited May 2015
    Your / their logic is faulty ... if they're looking for numbers ... they won't get them from me anymore ... had a blast running the Event with multiple Toons last year ... but why on Earth, would I bother to spend more than 3min, on one Toon, doing "Flying High" now ... considering everything I'm willing to spend additonal time on, will just go poof ...

=> less time + less Alts in Bikinis from me ...
    The fact is that, since earning whatever replaces pearls will require us to log in nearly daily, players will probably spend more time on Risa than we would have if we could just cash in old pearls on day 1. I don't see why you would spend less time, or why the players would either. Risa is fun, and I mainly go for the favors (not the ship, but I do try for the ship).
    Okay so this is the part where i don't agree with you. So I totally understand that T6 ships have to be in use and ppl gotta change eventually to T6, BUT as i said earlier, I am collecting ships. and I wont be able to get the Corvette on that toon, which i think is sad.
    I kind of suspect that the ship will be a better (T6) corvette anyway, so don't count yourself out just yet. I wasn't aware you could even still get the corvette.

Unfortunately I only got 40 pearls in my luxury cruiser project from last year (my computer was on the fritz) so I may have to make a hard choice between that and this year's ship.

I'd trade you if I could, bogy,

Speaking of trading commissioned ships, I wish they'd bring back trading commissioned boffs.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
    edited May 2015
    bjornfried wrote: »
    Hey hey hey. Not so rude! You breake the coconut shells!!! Has anybody seen this huge wooden rabbit? I cant remember where i put it....

By coconuts do you mean like the coconuts from Monty Python or do you mean coconut as in his hollow head? Or better yet, instead of coconuts, lohlunats xD
    signature.png
  • rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1. Maybe people don't want the ships because they are the latest, newest thing. Maybe people slot the old ships because they like them and either didn't have the opportunity, or didn't have that character made at the time of last year's event?

For me, never was one to fall head over heels in love with the Summer Event ships. I am more for the Winter Event ships, which this will undoubtedly affect when the time comes. I go to Risa simply because I think it's fun.

2. Fair/Equal start? Why should I be penalized because someone wasn't around during last year's event? Why should my work in acquiring extra pearls simply be disregarded? How about the other people who play STO, should they be penalized to satisfy Cryptic's damned metrics? I think not!

I do agree that at least SOME of the conversion purchases are fair and reasonable, and I will use up what few pearls I have for that. The problem remains though... How far is Cryptic going to go to take away our time and effort to acquire things like the Pearls and the 8x10s in-game and "essentially" FORCE players to play when they want us to in order to get the things we may want for these events.

For me, I have a job and can't be online constantly during the week to grind for these things. The only way I can get certain things during these events is to stockpile where I can as I have done in previous years... that way, I can usually have enough to buy whatever I want during the event and hopefully have some stockpiled for the next year, just in case I am not able to get the (i.e. 1000 Pearls) next year's new shiny.

With the way the News post is worded, some of us players who have jobs are going to be left out for having a job and not slaving ourselves to STO?

this sums it up . This decision doesn't "equalize " things for all players but the exact opposite
  • captrod71captrod71 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It will keep getting worse until the players do stop running these events and letting Cryptic bottlenecking us into their money sink holes. i myself pulled my payment info from here and will not invest another dollar until the Craptic stops
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The fact is that, since earning whatever replaces pearls will require us to log in nearly daily, players will probably spend more time on Risa than we would have if we could just cash in old pearls on day 1. I don't see why you would spend less time, or why the players would either. Risa is fun, and I mainly go for the favors (not the ship, but I do try for the ship).

Because there is simply no point in "over-achieving" anymore ... especially not with MULTIPLE Toons ... not sure what's so hard to understand about it ...

... you make it sound like everyone "over-achieving" last year, was some kind of evil Mastermind trying to "exploit" (they did their "work" for 1000 Pearls fair & square) ... most people like myself just did the Race for the heck of it & the remote hope that it would reward something further down the road ... well guess what, it doesn't, so no more additional Races either ...

-> it's bascially "Get your Ship within the first 25 days, and GTFO" ... if you're still doing it on Day 26, or some other Toon, "TRIBBLE you, you're wasting your time !" ....
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited May 2015

Having to start at the same amount as the rest of us is not a penalty.

And having a job is most likely not going to stop most of us from being able to log in for a daily five minute flight around the volcano. I work full time and it certainly hasn't stopped me.
    edited May 2015

And having a job is most likely not going to stop most of us from being able to log in for daily a five minute flight around the volcano. I work full time and it certainly hasn't stopped me.

So your justification is based around you rather than the community? Well aren't you self-centered.
    signature.png
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If pearl hoarding was the problem they could just set the pearls to expire at the *end* of the event each year.

Slot 'em, spend 'em, or lose 'em.

Retiring the best looking ship and best handling cruiser in the name of "exclusivity" is just plain nuts.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    captrod71 wrote: »
    It will keep getting worse until the players do stop running these events and letting Cryptic bottlenecking us into their money sink holes. i myself pulled my payment info from here and will not invest another dollar until the Craptic stops

Cool, this means I will have less competition during the summer event!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited May 2015

And having a job is most likely not going to stop most of us from being able to log in for a daily five minute flight around the volcano. I work full time and it certainly hasn't stopped me.

So I should just give up what i have done on my characters just so YOU get an equal footing with me for an event?

Ok, Here ya go...

Cryptic, I sure hope your metrics read this... I am giving this guy the middle finger.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    edited May 2015
    If pearl hoarding was the problem they could just set the pearls to expire at the *end* of the event each year.

Slot 'em, spend 'em, or lose 'em.

Retiring the best looking ship and best handling cruiser in the name of "exclusivity" is just plain nuts.

More like it's just plain Lohlunats XD
    signature.png
  • sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So I should just give up what i have done on my characters just so YOU get an equal footing with me for an event?

Ok, Here ya go...

Cryptic, I sure hope your metrics read this... I am giving this guy the middle finger.

Add mine to it. ~,,|,, ,,|,,~
  • darleathdarleath Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Coming next: All toons reset to Lv1, no specialization points, no reputation level, all gear destroyed. Because we need to be all on equal footing with the new guy making a brand new account.
    Oh, and Zen Store closing down, so you loose all your things. The new "Z$n" Store will have the same things, but you will have to buy them anew!

All in the benefict of equality!

There is a reason for me doing little else than logging, doffing, scheduling the rep and R+D projects and maybe doing an STF. After all, I can cash on my "limitless" amount of previously earned Iconian marks.
    Like the Lolhunat pearls I saved from previous years, yeah, they never run out.
    edited May 2015
    So your justification is based around you rather than the community? Well aren't you self-centered.
    Stop flaming. He made the claim that full-time workers wouldn't be able to participate in the event successfully. I used myself as an example to show that his claim was untrue. Running a race is much less commitment than the grinding for spec points, rep, or crafting mats that are required for endgame.
This discussion has been closed.