test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Our goal for this change is to ensure that everyone participates on equal footing for the release of each year's new ship.

If equality is your goal, then you shouldn't permanently remove stuff from the game anyway. Everyone may be on equal footing at the start of the event, but newer characters or newer players in general will always have access to less ships if you remove them.

I doubt anyone, be it a newer player or a veteran, cares that some people have a new fancy ship a few weeks before they can get it. I tend to believe they would be more annoyed seeing people in a Corvette knowing they won't ever have a chance to get that same ship.
  • sparkysightssparkysights Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There is an old saying that comes to mind. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Cryptic, stop trying to fix things that aren't broken and focus on the things that are, like the stupid XP grind since Delta Rising, or how about the million of bugs running around.

I sense a large can of worms has been opened, and never before has the community hated Cryptic quite as much as they seem to now.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    I support this.

I don't see why you would want to completely remove stuff from the game anyway. The designs are already there, they spent time working on these ships, why destroy all that hard work?
    They could put them in the Lobi Store. They could also create a Tier 6 variant with new customization options that are compatible with the old. (Or just a new Tier 6 variant without new customization options, but I doubt that.)

Or maybe they will create special "rerun" events like they do with special featured episode rewards.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Anyone whimpering about the space emotes needs to try actually playing the game for once. Notice all the constant spam stuff when ships fight, it has nothing to do with star trek at all.

I've resigned myself to just learning to live with the obnoxious ability visuals.

The space emotes are a genuinely good idea. Take the thumbs up/thumbs down ones, now we have a way to show our judgment for other ships we see. A simple visual cue like these emotes makes communication a lot easier.

Damn! I wanted to buy specialization points, now you're giving me a reason to buy the emotes.

Ah, nah... I'll stick with fireworks.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • m1957flaxm1957flax Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ... JUST WHY DO YOU HAVE TO NERF THE TRIBBLE AND EVERY LITTLE BIT OF FUN OUT OF THIS GAME,...

That's it. No more or no less. Just that!

@Cryptic: I'll decide. what I do from your offerings. Grinding, Upgrades, R&D for creating stuff - that's all work for me, which I will NEVER do.
    I want to have fun and I play the fun. Anything else offered by you, I will not do. And my wallet will be closed for you. I'm not supporting changes, that I hate.
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To be perfectly & brutally honest, does anyone actually KEEP using their Risan ships six months later? Yeah, it's cute to wear a holiday item like a Mardi Gras mask during Marti Gras, but to still be wearing it in August?

I haven't seen a Risan Cruiser in several months now, and the Corvette even less. It's just a cheesy Meh Award for giving Cryptic their precious metrics for three weeks.

Now, imagine if the majority of players simply said "no" and didn't bother to play that event, much like people tend to avoid Viscous Circle like the plague that it is. The Dev staff would totally lose their minds if that happened.

I'm using my Risian Luxury Cruiser because it turned out to be a better option than spending money upgrading my Odyssey Tactical to T-5U. And that's the behaviour Cryptic wants to stop: not spending money.

Hell, I understand they have a bottom line that needs to be met, but the people who want to spend money on ships will, whether there are free options are not. This is simply a poor, poor decision.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Damn! I wanted to buy specialization points, now you're giving me a reason to buy the emotes.

Don't buy the emotes. After the event, they'll be available for GPL.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In the end, after everything; the constant nerfs to XP, the fights, everything...it' clear that the Star Trek I.P. is a bad fit for an Eastern-Styled
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Don't buy the emotes. After the event, they'll be available for GPL.

Thanks for the tip-off. Looks like Cryptic was trying to pull a double-TRIBBLE on us.

I wonder how long it will be before the STO White Knights come galloping in to defend this dreadful idea (one certain person who's the Whitey-Knightiest of them all comes to mind who won't be mentioned by name, but by his "Megamind" icon ye shall know him)? They've certainly got their job cut out for them in trying to put perfume on this TRIBBLE.
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wonder how long it will be before the STO White Knights come galloping in to defend this dreadful idea (one certain person who's the Whitey-Knightiest of them all comes to mind who won't be mentioned by name, but by his "Megamind" icon ye shall know him)? They've certainly got their job cut out for them in trying to put perfume on this TRIBBLE.
    I'm another of the people who typically gives Cryptic the benefit of the doubt and calls for reason, particularly when it comes to a lot of the complaints that are just plain unfair or ignorant of how programming and business works.

I refuse to defend this. This is one of the more tone-deaf, out-of-touch decisions I've seen in an online game in quite some time.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the tip-off. Looks like Cryptic was trying to pull a double-TRIBBLE on us.

By telling folks...

/facepalm

It says right there in the blog.
    STARSHIP EMOTE PACKS

Each of these packages unlocks one or two new powers, which can be slotted into your Starship Power Trays. Activating any of these Powers will display a brief holographic symbol above your ship while in System or Sector Space. All share a brief cooldown period, so as to discourage noisy over-use of this new feature.

Our hope is that having a few quick communication options at your fingertips may help even total strangers communicate with one another with ease, while flying among the stars.

While these will remain exclusively available on the Summer Buyback Store for the time being, these Emote Packs will eventually also become available for Gold-Pressed Latinum.

But maybe they were...they've been around a bit, they know a bunch of players don't bother reading anything and just comment blindly or parrot stuff.
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's interesting that they apparently think this is going to help their metrics. Previously people had a reason to continue playing the event after day 20, now we don't. I know all they care about is money and that customer satisfaction and good will are apparently concepts they've never heard of, but these kinds of decisions are bad for them as well as us. It's mind boggling that someone actually thought this was a good idea.

I really, really wish I could still be properly angry when cryptic pulls moves like this, but at this point I'm just resigned to it more than anything. I've stopped paying money in and that's all I can really do, other than quitting the game entirely.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't see why the pearls need to be retired, except that maybe Cryptic is trying to keep people from banking them for future ship purchases if they don't like the current year's ship. And the changing of the required currency annually cements my view of this.

I am assuming that this will spill over to the Winter Event as well and we won't be able to bank the 8x10s of Q either... probably to be replaced by 8x10s of the Cryptic logo surrounded by doillar signs.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    Actually, what it says is that the current pearl-based projects wont be complete able...

Nowhere does it say that there won't be projects for said ships based off the new currency.
    What if I have a partial Summer Reputation project in progress?

Those of you that already have a summer ship project in progress from a previous year’s event WILL NOT lose any progress, and can simply finish that project either with Risian Lohlunat Pearls or with the new currency when it arrives.

Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?

No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival.

So you can finish old projects if you still have them slotted but you can't start new ones. So if you dont have them slotted, if your toon/character is new, maybe a Delta Recruit you can't get them.

But maybe we will get another Cruiser this year, T6, better than the T5??
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wonder how long it will be before the STO White Knights come galloping in to defend this dreadful idea.

They're girding themselves for battle and doubling down on the Stockholm syndrome.

They know this will be a protracted fight when players who never read the Facebook/Twitter/Reddit/Maon Page/Launchers/forums find out and keep reigniting this conflict.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bjornfried wrote: »
    ...In real life such things earn you a bullet in the head...

This, and the earlier quip about a "Goering-compatible dev" make me wonder what it would be like if these forums were a public facebook profile that employers could have a look-through before hiring :D
  • velrennvelrenn Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    With each update STO becomes more and more like a korean MMO (not surprisingly). I quit every single one of those, starting with the original Ragnarok Online, because eventually I just couldn't stand the grind.

It will be a sad day when I have to quit STO. I love Star Trek and used to love this game. It used to be very friendly to casual players that have a busy life to manage and there's nothing quite like it in the market.

But more and more it seems inevitable to me that the day will come when I won't be able to stomach the grind anymore. If I was a billionaire I would seriously buy Cryptic just to prevent STO from going down this dark path.

Sorry about the rant but I needed to get the frustration out. Now to try and enjoy what's still left of the game for as long as I can before it starts leaving a sour taste in my mouth. :(
    IDIC is the spice of life.
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't support this. Not to mention deleting previously slotted projects. Complete and utter nonsense. The penalty of having to wait another year to finish the thing should be enough, not to never be able to obtainable again.

Although I hate it, I understand somewhat the decision to make a new currency every year. Preventing people from slotting old rewards is completely undefendable, "exclusivity", is a poor excuse. If someone wants to grind extra to try to obtain and old ship, let them, this in no way has to impact on preventing stockpiling of pearls.

Completely stupid decision.
    edited May 2015
    I don't see why the pearls need to be retired, except that maybe Cryptic is trying to keep people from banking them for future ship purchases if they don't like the current year's ship. And the changing of the required currency annually cements my view of this.

I am assuming that this will spill over to the Winter Event as well and we won't be able to bank the 8x10s of Q either... probably to be replaced by 8x10s of the Cryptic logo surrounded by doillar signs.

People tended to stockpile their excess Pearls/Qmendations/Photos/Shards in anticipation for the next year's event. You'd think Cryptic would actually encourage such behavior because it shows a sign of player commitment to the long-term patronage of this game. Instead, they have crushed the one motivation for doing this repetitive monkey show day after day, and make people even less likely to show up on Risa at all.

IMO, the Summer Event doesn't have a Dil payout like CE or Mirror does, so why bother grinding there? None of the ships have been worth it imo.
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Congratz, you are the most evil poster on the forum! *see your post number*

I do like the cryptic logo with dollar signs idea, would be pretty amusing to see that; just add the cha-ching sound every time one is earned. Hmm, a good alternate would be a bar graph or some other metric chart, but it'd have to have the dollar signs in there somehow.
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015

From that description, and memory of the last 60 odd pages of rage, he's already posted and... He didn't like it much either.

Very Few White-Knights in this thread, this has tarnished their armour, if not to a nice matching black with the rest of us, at least to an acceptable shade of medium-dark grey...
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
    edited May 2015
    And what exactly is wrong with buying the event ship on day one with leftover pearls? It's not like those people didn't spend the extra time logged and doing the event to get them.

It's just the metrics calling the shots, again.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Because of the alt-discount, people could get the current ship AND bank enough to last them several years for future ships using multiple toons. Something had to be done or the next time the bankers actually played the event it'd be 2020. Simply preventing people from using last year's items is the easiest way I suppose.

No good reason to retire the old ships, though.
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    velrenn wrote: »
    And what exactly is wrong with buying the event ship on day one with leftover pearls? It's not like those people didn't spend the extra time logged and doing the event to get them.

Bold for emphasis.
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Because of the alt-discount, people could get the current ship AND bank enough to last them several years for future ships using multiple toons. Something had to be done or the next time the bankers actually played the event it'd be 2020. Simply preventing people from using last year's items is the easiest way I suppose.

And if they had said this was the last year to use your pearls, very few would complain.
    edited May 2015
    velrenn wrote: »

Cryptic doesn't want people to find out on Day One that the new ship sucks. They'd rather have players find out the hard way a couple weeks later after a bunch of grinding but TOO LATE HA HA THANKS FOR THE METRICS, CHUMPS! Signed, Cryptic.
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I will admit, I only go to Risa during the summer event to get the favors. (Not a fan of the ships, and to be honest, found the mission to get the pearls really hard to want to do).

That all said, the idea that the event ships are being removed/inserted later into the lobi store is an absolute idiocy!

I can understand the point about currency but they should change it so that every event (summer, winter, anniversary etc) use that same currency. If a player has currency left at the end of an event (to prevent stockpiling for the next event) then a store, like the one Cryptic has got for the pearls, should be implemented.
  • richardkisrichardkis Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I never did an event before, so in the past you needed to do the complete set of events for each alt to get the ship? And now you need to do complete in one and the others alts you need to do just one time? It´s not that bad.

And yes, removing old ships is the only thing that really concerns me.

Sorry the bad english :D
    edited May 2015

Abuse of the alt discount could be prevented by making the pearls BoA, having the ships unlock to the whole account with a single purchase and having the daily modified so it could only be completed once a day by a single character on the account.

No need to change the currency or retire old ships. But, of course, that would go against the logic of serving the metrics.
This discussion has been closed.