test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• drakemanabanedrakemanabane Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ok dropping Lohlunt Pearls fine I can see the need for that. However I am begging here I have added 5 alts since last summer and I might still have more soon.
  • crunn2crunn2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's in the blog...

/snip link

..as a pair of examples.

Where there are going to be four packs:

oh I see.
    Then trouble it is.
    Unless there's a client side disable option.
    I don't remember Kirk having to deal with ship emotes, Janeway might have?
  • detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This really sucks!

Having just started playing back in December I was gearing up all of my toons to pick up all of the summer event ships. I was really looking forward to the Risian event so I could pick up the ships that were offered before I was playing.

The fact that I wont be able to get the ships really pisses me off, but it is Cryptic that will be hurt by this. At least their all important metrics will anyway. Where I was going to run at least three different toons through the event in order to get all three ships now I will only run one and then get the ship on my alts with the reduced cost. I'm sure I'm not the only one that had this plan in mind.

The real kick to the teeth is this will probably be what awaits me at the winter event where I planned to do the same thing.

Very bad decision Cryptic... Very disappointing. :(
  • oktoberfest2dispoktoberfest2disp Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?
    No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival.

What? There is no way that I can obtain either ship? I'm a lifetime sub from the first season, bought a lifetime sub for a friend, and have almost all the ships and 16 toons, play as much as possible between business trips, and just popped for the Pathfinder w/ interior, Delta Pack, vesta set, etc. RL does not allow me all the time I need to get everything in game, but a) I found time to get the Breen sets for seven toons at the winter event (when work is lighter) and b) this is finally the summer of Risa. This is extremely disappointing for me, and now also for the four friends that I finally got to play regularly. This is a GREAT game, and awesome that it's f2p for folks, but this is really crushing news. :(

PS: I don't mind grinding, STO is an escape after work. Currently, I have no Risian pearls nor Risian Event slotted and no problem with collecting a new event item every year. I think you all have been great caretakers of the ST universe, and certainly the corvette and cruiser did not exist before STO, but I do mind that something I looked forward to is taken away suddenly with no method whatsoever to obtain it ever again.

To paraphrase another poster:
    Because right now I'm feeling like we, the loyal long-term players who are invested deeply in STO and online whenever we can, were just given another giant middle finger.

Mirror, Mirror warns against a future where a Terran Empire ravages the galaxy led by the ISS Enterprise.
    In the 2000s, the biggest space station we build is called the ISS.
    I am concerned.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    MMOs are always changing how they do things, just because they chose to do something last year does not mean they have to do it again next year.

An "event" reputation slot is provided whose purpose includes many slots (5 to be exact) to unlock special projects using marks that do not expire and carry on at the very least into the next season.

The "event" is scrapped without informing us neither:

A) some time back in 2014 before the summer event ended to queue them as a last-chance to get them for existing players

B) at the end of this 2015 summer event so we can decide whether to get them or to pass.

See the problem?

This "advance notice" is not advance notice whatsoever. It's the equivalent of this: don't have it slotted since last year's event? Looking forward to the Risa event and the Existing Risa ships all year? Well, you're never getting them.

Please reconsider this decision. Make it possible to queue the old Risa ships now knowing they will be retired after. That would be fair. This isn't.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not a fan of this decision at all...

I can understand wanting to have each year's item be exclusive, kinda like showing you were around for a specific year. And I can understand each year's event needing a new currency. But suddenly changing the seasonal events to be this, when they weren't for quite a while, is just silly. We'd had previous years' ships and goodies available, for the previous years' currency, for a while now. It's right out of the blue switching everything on the fly like that. Not impressed.
  • cwrichesonzenocwrichesonzeno Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The emotes are stupid. They're completely immersion destroying, and that's saying something given the lack of care towards Star Trek immersion that is already present.
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sunseahl wrote: »
    Sorry MidlightShadow7, if you're still about, I understand you trying to allay the fears of everyone here but this was a far less than perfect introduction to the summer event this year. I, too, have to take a side of opposition here.

I understand that there are people who already have "tons" of the pearls... That's cool... If you go right ahead and dedicate your lives to the event thing every 20 hours like clockwork your reward IS to not have to wait around and do more for getting the ship. That can be it's own reward. Some of us, though, barely even squeak through as it is. For us, getting the ship on the last day or so is a MAJOR accomplishment even if it's just to us. So seeing this change, that looks like it only starts with the summer event but I have suspicions will be rolled over into winter and anniversary events I have my own points to make against this news.

1. If you keep changing the currency every year you also doom the idea that you "want players to play" your new content by them either not participating at all(because then it becomes a yearly "hassle" not a event) or even further compartmentalizing them into not playing any longer than necessary. Either way you'll have people playing STO, regardless of the event going on, and it will do nothing but make the players coming back a frustrated mess because they saved up(as every older blog told them they could) and now they have to start over. This can cause those players to turn right back off from STO, Especially the ones who came back for Delta Recruit.

2. Why open an exchange market for pearls and not tell us if there is any foresight about then making that store a "summer token exchange" because by admitting that they are changing the currency every year this means that the store as they've just introduced it is ONLY for Risian Pearl exchange. What about the players who have zero pearls? And those who wind up with an excess of new currencies? Putting stuff inthe GPL store? Funny. I've NEVER had the GPL to buy any of the "toys" they put in there for-cost... Will an emot turn into one of those ship holograms at 50k 100K, 250k 500k? HAH! What do I look like a lifeless Dabo Zombie? I'm not and it'll become another toy I'll never touch simply because it's insanely expensive.

3. Speaking of excess new currency you can almost forget that. As I normally consider myself a casual player, when they introduced the Feature Episodes that gave us 400 [event] tokens at the start of events, I laid back in my chair with approval and and said "Alt friendly indeed.... now I only need to do this on one character and get them to 1k. Then I just have to run the little event game for the 40 on all my other characters and not bother playing any more than I absolutely have to. Then i can go back to leveling my reputation/helping my fleet." Normally those feature episodes were/are tied into specific, time-gated rewards, like the one we have in Blood of the Ancients, and the ONLY characters I've really run that mission on has been my Delta Recruit, for the tech upgrade, and my KDF Orion, for the special reward (Disruptor) being the actual weapon type she uses. Unless the Summer Events Feature Episode(if there is one) is a universal reward, like the Engie console from Delta Flight I don't see myself running off to play that mission for the 400 pearls on every character. Hell I doubt I'd do that even if they DID open the pearl exchange for the other summer currencies unless they added a mark exchange package.

4. The one thing most people have just missed form the blog, and the design team as a whole, is that they've just admitted to handing us a live shrapnel grenade... That grenade bringing us an explosion in new, quickly outdated, currencies that will just as quickly fill up cryptic's storage debt(something they just cleaned to give us more bank, ship, character, and costume slots) as a grenade in a crowded market fills a hospital. If they do this with the Winter Event and then the Anniversary Event too that's going to be a 3-fold increase in currencies yearly on top of the introduction of all new currencies in the form of reputations, fleet holdings, or what ever other currency for season/expansion ideas they may provide going forward. We already have back-logged exchanges from the conversion of Nukara into the reputation system, the update of Andorian Phasers into the fleet holding upgrades, the Christmas bauble exchange, the Risan Favors exchange, Prototype Console exhange..... Now we want to add up to 3 yearly currencies that go absolutely nowhere after the event too? insane!

I'm still here!!

I do not recall any blog ever saying that they could keep them and use them next year. Player, including me, collected them on the off chance that we could use them again, but this was never guaranteed. Previously this was allowed, but sorry I do not see the issue with this changing!

I also not see how it hurts people coming in to play the event. So far we have only had this one bit of information about the event - we still do not know what other rewards, trade ins etc will be added for those players once they have done their 25 runs and got the ship - there could be other things up for grabs. What I'm saying is it is too early still to be shouting about it and that we should wait until we know about the rewards, about how long we'll get to play the event, what other rewards will be offered to players after collecting the new ship and hearing about what will happen to alts who don't have previous ships that another main/alt has already collected.
    Until I know more facts, I am not shouting doom about this event.

We've had exchanges for items for many past events and even crafting... somethings will go to the GPL store, but I think they will be the smaller items imho. This is no different than before, except so far, this time, it is stuff that I actually like!

Again we do not know if any of the multiple featured episodes due out over the coming months will reward the new currency - again, I'll wait until I know more before screaming.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You warp into an instance...

There are two Federation players, a Romulan, and a KDF player.

One Fed is in a Malon Battlecruiser.
    The other Fed is in an Olaen.
    The Romulan is in a Sheshar.
    The KDF is in a Sarr Theln.

One Fed is named Capt Hairy Pants.
    The other Fed is named xXxBoBxXx.
    The Romulan is named LagMonster.
    The KDF is named IceColdNinja.

...is the Romulan giving the thumbs up emote above his or her ship really going to break the Star Trek immersion one had been feeling up to that point?
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited May 2015

...is the Romulan giving the thumbs up emote above his or her ship really going to break the Star Trek immersion one had been feeling up to that point?

If you tried really hard, you could fit that in as multiple factions banding together... I guess now you can imagine that they are all texting each other too.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My sympathies to players that are being negatively affected by this change.

However, my question is about the currency exchange store. Is this going to be a permanent "thing" after every event? You can keep your gimmicky T6 Risen Tug. I might save up some of the new currency for this exchange.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    I don't want to have a emote on my ship

I don't want to see anyones elses emote

period
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »
    I don't want to have a emote on my ship

I don't want to see anyones elses emote

period

Is someone grumpy today :D
    download.jpg
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015

to be fair, for me, its a bit of a non issue in that environment.. but flying through the new 'designed to be more immersive' sector space maps.. yeah pretty much.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • kryechtonkryechton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Boooooo.

That is all.
  • blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    If Cryptic is sending a message, it is that they simply are not reliable or dependable on a long-term scale...
    They are hurting the faith that the players are putting in them. Players want to know the time and effort they put into the game will pay off for them in the end.

In fairness, I believe they have demonstrated this several times over. The T6 Intrepid right after T5U Intrepid upgrades (with no warning), the Jem'Hadar Attack/Strike Ship, the T6 "Iconic Ships" after saying no existing ships would be made full T6, I would personally add the Fleet T6 as they add nothing that is "T6," and the list goes on.
  • crunn2crunn2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Show player names - Disabled (or target only)

I hope the emotes can also be disabled
    Same goes for this whole currency/ship retirement idea.

Anyway more than 50 pages of almost unanimous complaints in just a few hours, should be enough for them to reconsider.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Unique stuff given for a currency we are and will not be able to have anymore ?
    I seriously hope those rewards will be available for everyone during the event, one way or another, for the many like myself who didn't hoard the pearls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm okay with the emotes for now but Cryptic is absolutely tasteless so you just know things are going to pop up like Rikers face and an audio message "I'm Jonathon Frakes and I'd like to thank you for logging in to Star Trek Online" or Neelix spouting B.S. like "you really cooked his skorzeezian goose!"
  • captainkroncaptainkron Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If only you all knew how much this tread has sapped my 25 toons will to continue the fight against the Iconians :/

Rock and Roll here I come!!!
    CibJ7qu.jpg?1
  • cronos722cronos722 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Change currency = Fine

Retiring previous ships = Don't Do It

Buyback store = Don't Care

Emotes = Don't Care
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Okay, let me see if I understand this correctly.

1) The special currency in a limited time Event which I do not play is not going to be available after the Event closes.

2) If I had any of the special currency from last year's limited time Event right now, I could trade it in for some somewhat useful items.

3) Due to this change, people will not be able to farm the Event after they get this year's "free" ship so they can get a head start on next year's "free" ship.

4) Since these ships are becoming limited time offers, if people do not have last year's "free" ship already they will not be able to acquire it by using special currency from this year's limited time event.

5) Some people object to this change because: reasons.

6) Yawn. Okay, but remember to wake me when we get to the part where I am supposed to be all righteously indignant about this change. I wouldn't want to miss it.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cidstorm wrote: »
    I'm okay with the emotes for now but Cryptic is absolutely tasteless so you just know things are going to pop up like Rikers face and an audio message "I'm Jonathon Frakes and I'd like to thank you for logging in to Star Trek Online" or Neelix spouting B.S. like "you really cooked his skorzeezian goose!"

Hey now, why stop there. It would also be a way for advertising...subscribers (including LTS) would be excluded; but F2Pers could have little avatars pop up above them initially advertising games on ARC or the like. Then they could move on from there...Feds advertising Pepsi, KDF advertising Coke, and Roms advertising Starbucks.
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm still here!!

I do not recall any blog ever saying that they could keep them and use them next year. Player, including me, collected them on the off chance that we could use them again, but this was never guaranteed. Previously this was allowed, but sorry I do not see the issue with this changing!

I also not see how it hurts people coming in to play the event. So far we have only had this one bit of information about the event - we still do not know what other rewards, trade ins etc will be added for those players once they have done their 25 runs and got the ship - there could be other things up for grabs. What I'm saying is it is too early still to be shouting about it and that we should wait until we know about the rewards, about how long we'll get to play the event, what other rewards will be offered to players after collecting the new ship and hearing about what will happen to alts who don't have previous ships that another main/alt has already collected.
    Until I know more facts, I am not shouting doom about this event.

We've had exchanges for items for many past events and even crafting... somethings will go to the GPL store, but I think they will be the smaller items imho. This is no different than before, except so far, this time, it is stuff that I actually like!

Again we do not know if any of the multiple featured episodes due out over the coming months will reward the new currency - again, I'll wait until I know more before screaming.

No, I'm pretty sure that putting up a blog with it's little "Discuss in the Forums" link is a clear signal that we should be discussing this matter now as opposed to waiting for some later blog that may or may not even be coming.

The blog clearly states that these are the items that will be available through the new exchange, not some of the items that will be available, and given that it goes live tomorrow as per the patch notes it is foolish to expect any kind of change to the published list on this kind of short notice. So the rewards available are the awards available, period. That part is not open for discussion.

The FAQ also specifically states that the one currency per year, all projects cancelled at the end of the event model is going to be the process going forward. Given the marked similarity between the Summer, Winter and Anniversary events it is not a huge leap in logic to come away with the idea that this process is going to be applied to all such events in the future. And from a community that is already ill-disposed towards PWE/Cryptic with regards to such changes, one might go so far as to suggest that the assumption is to be expected.

Finally, given what appears to be the state of the previous ships (weren't you getting confirmation on that by the way?) whatever we're offered this year had best not have anything to do with the previous console set or we're going to be going through this all over again in a few weeks.

As to your role in this discussion: are you here to allay fears, keep a lid on things or justify the changes?
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cronos722 wrote: »
    Change currency = Fine

Retiring previous ships = Don't Do It

Buyback store = Don't Care
    Same here.

But:
    cronos722 wrote: »
    Emotes = Don't Care
    Is it really neccessary to add even more stuff to clutter the screen?

What about making ability activation FX optional?
    What about making Beam weapon FX from 2-8 beams to only 1 option?

Seriously it get too much lately.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • picardcrusherpicardcrusher Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Uggh. And I was about to congratulate the devs on getting rid of the "accidental" dilithium theft that is the crafting interface. Well, that's a big one so, I will do it anyways. The first bug that was making PWE money and got fixed in a long long time. VERY much appreciated.
    :D

Maybe even enough to get you off the hook for the Risian currency change. But who's idea was it to give us the wonderfully immersive new sector space and then said "hey, let's put little cartoons over everyone's ships"?
    :eek:

Please take note of the former fellow employees who are no longer with you, and don't think "but we have to do it because we spent so much money on it in the first place, so we must try it out". Don't think "oh, but our development process is so long before we can make changes".
    :confused:

Please never introduce floating cartoon emotes. Next time you get an idea that some of the players will hate with an intensity that rivals lag, ask us how much we hate it before you introduce it. Idiots and griefers will love this. The roleplayer in me just got kicked between the legs.
    :mad:

Trekkers want to take trek seriously, and this looks like a joke.

Nerfing is Fraud...
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by worgaus View Post
    I can't say I care for this change at all. There was nothing wrong with how it worked in the past, and now for some weird reason you've decided to lock out any new characters from the older event rewards?

So on one hand you want us to make new characters and on the other you want to discriminate against them

Just leave it the way it was, what difference does it make if we ground out pearls in the past or grind them out now? We still put the extra time in to do it.

The problem was too many people getting the shiny new ship on day 1 and not needing to come back and play for the rest of the event. Regarding the new characters, as long as you already have the ship on one of your characters your alt can still get the ship for playing the event once.

Midnight Moderator,
    problem with this "restart", to make everyone forced to earn daily "currencies", reason why some dont want to do all with the alts, and no one likes very laggy instanted zones they are in, and also that would push out many other players on "surfer racings" because it only rewards to "top 3 players", i never got a monkey pet, i gave up.
    i rather play on less players on zones, with this forced reset, and every one dont have choice, to skip this event, fed up with lags, facing many "cutthroat players" while in motion of "gathering" and suddenly you get pumped off and you had to retry,
    no one likes rude players.
    now this will make bottlenecking server with more ruder, and some will find ways to cheat.

i wonder what Ferengi people see this, they know when business is good, and they know the "Greed" is very bad form and unprofitable, this is making ferengi run for life.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Anyone whimpering about the space emotes needs to try actually playing the game for once. Notice all the constant spam stuff when ships fight, it has nothing to do with star trek at all.

I've resigned myself to just learning to live with the obnoxious ability visuals.

The space emotes are a genuinely good idea. Take the thumbs up/thumbs down ones, now we have a way to show our judgment for other ships we see. A simple visual cue like these emotes makes communication a lot easier.

How about they actually implement markers instead of pointless emotes? We shouldn't be using the emotes as markers but instead should get markers instead and say "**** the emotes".
    signature.png
This discussion has been closed.