Install Arc
Options

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    What if Cryptic extended the event completion time by one week on all events subject to this currency restriction?

And unless something got answered while I was on the road, can it be officially confirmed or denied how ALL FUTURE EVENTS, to include the Winter Event and Anniversary will be handled going forward????

True, we've only heard about the changes to the pearls and old ships... as yet we are still waiting on the release of information about the rest of the event.
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1. Ya all are ACK...

Im like, cool, something new is on the way.....

2. Ya all are like Whack!!!!

Im like, cool, they must have learned from the delta event, and have to restructure there lame way of having events.

I never participate in them. I buy the event ship, FLATOUT with lobi, first day.

First event i participated in, in my fourth year playing, was the DELTA RECRUIT event. The REWARDS WERE PHENOMINAL!!!!!

Cryptic must have learned something, and ya all are like WHAAAAAA!!!!!!

Come on guys!!! Have an open mind!
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Couldn't you have waited more than 48 hours since I decided to give you a second chance before dropping this rancid little gift?
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    vireosvireos Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I come back to play this game every 3-4 months (once I've gotten the previous sickening grind) and I find these bizarre developments really disheartening.

I do believe that T6 versions of these same ships will be re-released. That said I'm currently praying they do not retire the T6 breen carrier in the winter festival as its the core component of my Delta Recruit Sci/Torp Captain - and there are no other ships which fit the bill.

Point 2:
    The buyback shop is a decent idea and one I support.

Point 3:
    I like the idea of these space emotes. Given the default message popups and size of the chat box, communicating anything to pugs in STO is nigh impossible. Creative use of these emotes (and possibly more advanced emotes) may make pugging in space far more user friendly. Or failing that "Shaka when the walls fell!"
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    voporak wrote: »
    Couldn't you have waited more than 48 hours since I decided to give you a second chance before dropping this rancid little gift?

This would have been a most entertaining weekend thread had it been dropped Friday evening.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just for the record: I'm not surprised by this change. Naturally I'm not happy about the change.

I can't really blame them since I've had pearls (and other currencies) for the next few years worth of event ships. Then again, that allowed me to not be stressed by possibly not being able to get all the necessary pearls (other currencies) in a given year. You never know with real life stuff happening. Not that I would plan to altogether skip one year's Summer event or something, it just offered a safety net.

Btw, that specialization price is hilarious.

Lastly, a question: Will the tech upgrades be at least account bound?
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    captainkroncaptainkron Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Going for post 100 overall. And this "Topic" is as good as it gets! I know most die hards will fill their metrics most likely myself included after the dust settles. I will only do the floater on one toon 25x, so less than 4-5 min per day. Any alts that have a free ship slot space might float the required one time after if time permits. Happy about change no I am not. If they won't minimal participation that is what they shall have. No more, LOL, a line must be drawn here! no farther! But please for the love of Gawd stop with the space emote fetish... people!! :rolleyes:
    CibJ7qu.jpg?1
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tamujiin wrote: »
    1. Ya all are ACK...

Im like, cool, something new is on the way.....

Something New ? Any Source on that ?
    tamujiin wrote: »
    2. Ya all are like Whack!!!!

Im like, cool, they must have learned from the delta event, and have to restructure there lame way of having events.

I never participate in them. I buy the event ship, FLATOUT with lobi, first day.

First event i participated in, in my fourth year playing, was the DELTA RECRUIT event. The REWARDS WERE PHENOMINAL!!!!!

Cryptic must have learned something, and ya all are like WHAAAAAA!!!!!!

Come on guys!!! Have an open mind!

Yeah ... you didn't even participate in last years Event & actually spent Lobi on Event Ships (if you can't say anything nice ....) ... but you want people to have an open mind ... W O W ... => World Record on Irony ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    jonpen1jonpen1 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've seen a lot of bad Cryptic ideas. (Former Champions Online player, nuff said). But wow, this is a combo. Discourage event participation beyond certain reward points and then ruin the atmosphere of the game with starship emotes.

Bravo Cryptic, you've outdone yourself in doubling down on stupid moves.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Honestly would like to know what brain damaged idiot came up with this idea.

I guess this is pretty much confirmation that people who missed out on the Samsar Cruiser won't get a shot at it again either.

This is just beyond idiotic.... and the people who are making these decisions seriously "deserve" to be "fired".

That would probably be Geko, and the Samsar is a T6 so it may survive but being an Anniversary Ship you probably wouldn't be able to get it anyway. The Sarr Theln may also survive this 'Night of the Long Knives' as it to is a T6; however, they will need to do something to address the issue iff they retire the Plesh Brek as that unlocks the Raiders on the Sarr.

As I said in an earlier post this just shows what they think of all the T5Us (nothing); probably didn't sell many Upgrade Tokens during the recent 20% off sale.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    bucklerpwbucklerpw Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I only have a few pearls on one of my characters. So this has little impact on me. I still don't like the idea that a currency we work for will be worthless in a month. Its like saying my hard earned dollars will expire in 30 days. This sounds like a policy to reduce participation. Why play a new cycle (or a 100) to get my shiny (or 100 shinys) when they will just go poof! :( This is a prescription for minimum participation.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    amoroxic wrote: »
    .... Least we get to launch holographic Smoke Signals with our ships... Thank you Cryptic!

Aye, but we'll be needing a few more signals to appear above our ships, such as :

- An axe hacking a tree -- to signal that you think your opponent is using a hax.

- A hand squeezing a bewb, to share your interest in Jamaharoon in space .

- A pair of bewbs to show that you're thinking about Cryptic .

- The hand with a middle finger .

- A Hello Kitty head .

- A ... carrot that has the letters DPS on it , which is shown to be eaten by a pair of lips .

- A Bugs Bunny head .

- A golf ball

... OK, I'm obviously starting to run out of ideas here, but I'm sure others ideas exist ...
  • Options
    blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd imagine this is a combination of:

1. They want people spending time in the game events
    ***Anybody who has any stockpile has been spending time in game - only way to get the currencies

2. They don't want players having "things" on Day 1
    ***Why not? They'll only have those "things" by playing the TRIBBLE out of your game

3. The event ships are getting increasingly outdated, so would possibly need retooling
    ***They're legacy, specialty items, you get what you "pay" for, and some have specialty sets anyway to offset this

4. The event ships are in specific sets/themes, and this would obviously allow for each new year of each new event to have any kind of ship it wants
    ***There's no law I'm aware of that says every event has to have the same ship theme, just make it a decent ship, or even multiple ships

5. The discount for additional accounts has had obvious problems in the past, and may well again
    ***Don't know what to say about that except you've obviously got a solution already, and you could always hard-code the items to a discount for the last week or whatever

6. By officially sunsetting currencies and old projects, they can potentially see system savings in the back end
    ***Can't really say anything here since it would be pure speculation

Rather than address each of those problems, this is a rather cheap and ham-fisted way of making them all disappear.

The sad thing is that I'll bet they could have accomplished the obvious goals AND made people happy with this pretty easily - offer conversion as an incentive instead of a punishment/last-ditch attempt to get some value out of your "work."

Think of how many players would likely play the TRIBBLE out of the event AND willingly burn any stockpiles for some of those rewards.

Instead, by invalidating previous work and forcing players to start over every time, it feels like a punishment. I haven't even unpacked the last ships I got, so a ship reward period has lost its shine.
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Reading this I suddenly saw Cryptic as one of those cheesy Old West bad guys pointing their six-shooter at the ground in front of their opponents and firing off rounds while shouting:

"Dance Monkey! Dance!"

:rolleyes:

Just another Increase The Grind™ mechanic, brought to you by your (less than) friendly developers at Cryptic Studios.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited May 2015
    indeed, but the new reward will be a T6 ship like the samsar. the samsar is a gift given for free to the players ;) damn' i have missed this ship

Are you completely positive?

Nothing says they have to give out a free ship at all maybe its a new emote pack we have no summer event details yet.

Past history of receiving a reward cannot be expected to continue if players use free ships who will buy the $120 ship bundles?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Something New ? Any Source on that ?

Yeah ... you didn't even participate in last years Event & actually spent Lobi on Event Ships (if you can't say anything nice ....) ... but you want people to have an open mind ... W O W ... => World Record on Irony ...

Well I have participate in all the events and got all the ship and got lots of pearls hidden away in my bank that on day 1 I can get the new ship for 41 characters (once I get the last of them to level 10) - But I am interested in waiting to find out more information about the event before holding judgement.

Yes, I won't get the new ship on day 1; instead I have the ability to get specialization point and other stuff that will help me so I'm not too fussed about that.

I'm still waiting for clarification on if alts can still get the hold ships that you have already earnt as the OP does not specify this - I have 21 Delta Recruits wanting the old ships! If they cannot, well not the worst news I could have heard.

As I said, I'm holding judgement on the event and choosing to look forward to it until I hear all the information about the event and even try it out instead of shouting doom when only a small amount of information has been released... but that is me... always an optimist... well most the time! :P
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Reading this I suddenly saw Cryptic as one of those cheesy Old West bad guys pointing their six-shooter at the ground in front of their opponents and firing off rounds while shouting:

"Dance Monkey! Dance!"

:rolleyes:

Just another Increase The Grind™ mechanic, brought to you by your (less than) friendly developers at Cryptic Studios.

Twirling their handlebar mustache of course ;P
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is going to far. If the pearls are no good...at least let me give them or sell them to someone who never got the ship so they can finish it!! Let me help out some poor other player or a friend I care about who didn't manage to finish.

I tried to get new people to come and play sto. I will keep playing but I will not tell others to play this game anymore. I will not look like a liar about free ships and cool stuff they can no longer get. Do you(PW) realize how it makes us the players look when we tell others to play this game and tell them you can get free get in game stuff for events and then you take it away. WOW I guess the old head left because they knew all this bad stuff was coming. Out of 20 people since last summer I got to join up only 1 is still playing!!

I bet its 1000 pearls for one specialization point too, or something stupid like that. Cryptic now gives prizes like those cheap little traveling carnivals. You want this game to be mulit-player yet you constantly pit the players against each other and yourselves(devs). You do not want to be remembered like Star Wars Galaxies.

You keep targeting stupid stuff in the game. You worry about tails on Kobali, or people in swimsuits in battle, or you can't mix and match armors you had to grind rep for. You nerfed pretty much the basic tac/sci/eng abilities to sell new ships. You told us to come up with new builds then took the new builds away by making super npc's. Now your targeting events.

STOP TARGETING PLAYERS PLEASE!! This is what we feel you are doing. This is why most of us are choosing to no longer spend money on this game.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Edit: I rage no more. This time I'm gonna just go ahead and trust cryptic to do the right thing. A game just isn't worth getting mad over and we really don't know if its going to be bad or good. So lets just calm down and wait.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    Are you completely positive?

Nothing says they have to give out a free ship at all maybe its a new emote pack we have no summer event details yet.

Past history of receiving a reward cannot be expected to continue if players use free ships who will buy the $120 ship bundles?

That's what I'm betting on. A T6 Risian Corvette with a new skin and slightly better stats. I think they've stopped pretending that they consider T5-U and T6 ships are on par with one another, so now they're just retiring the old ones and saying they're exclusive, and simply repackaging them under the T6 branding.

By retiring the T5 Risian ships, they can just put in T6 versions and continue pretending the old versions never existed.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I see this change aimed at players like me. I already have enough pearls on every toon so i can get the ship on the first day. I get to sit in space around risa yelling "first" and spend the rest of my time grinding favors for the sole purpose of selling them at inflated prices to those who hate to grind. I am not mad, it just means i get to blow a few more lobi at the beginning of the event and still get to yell "first".

I do hope you all have been buying favors off the exchange all winter long, i have and i plan to bleed everyone dry selling you my favors.

After the summer event, i think i will buy a moon.............
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Well I have participate in all the events and got all the ship and got lots of pearls hidden away in my bank that on day 1 I can get the new ship for 41 characters (once I get the last of them to level 10) - But I am interested in waiting to find out more information about the event before holding judgement.

Context again ? ... wasn't even responding to anything you said ... no need to repeat the same Stuff for the 15th time ...
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Reading through these posts, I'm kinda surprised no one has started up some kind of 'everyone spend summer on Andoria' protest yet lol
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    tostrekkie7tostrekkie7 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    themarie wrote: »
    ..... Keep it in perspective folks -- at least we are getting something. Spec points for pearls isn't that bad a deal really.

If you've been around long enough, you should know NONE of the previous currency exchanges have EVER been "fair" or "equitable" towards players. In other words, we're all still getting shafted in the end.

Further why would Cryptic care if players got the event ship on day one. Players still had to earn the currency to buy the ship in first play. You can't buy the event ship currency in any way so you can't cheat the system. I'm sure most players just run the event long enough to earn the ship and QUIT thereafter. So now Cryptic want's to punish the player base that works for the future and saves for next years model?

Not right Cryptic. Not right at all.
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rgzarcher wrote: »
    Reading through these posts, I'm kinda surprised no one has started up some kind of 'everyone spend summer on Andoria' protest yet lol

If I decide to spend the Lol-Wut Festival elsewhere, in the game, it'll be somewhere that I can actually grind something useful.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    random909random909 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey, I wouldn't mind chilling on Andoria for a while, not like the place sees much activity anyway. AND I'd have a great chance to wear my winter jacket I earned last year. :3 :cool::P:cool:
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is going to far. If the pearls are no good...at least let me give them or sell them to someone who never got the ship so they can finish it!! Let me help out some poor other player or a friend I care about who didn't manage to finish.

I tried to get new people to come and play sto. I will keep playing but I will not tell others to play this game anymore. I will not look like a liar about free ships and cool stuff they can no longer get. Do you(PW) realize how it makes us the players look when we tell others to play this game and tell them you can get free get in game stuff for events and then you take it away. WOW I guess the old head left because they knew all this bad stuff was coming. Out of 20 people since last summer I got to join up only 1 is still playing!!

I bet its 1000 pearls for one specialization point too, or something stupid like that. Cryptic now gives prizes like those cheap little traveling carnivals. You want this game to be mulit-player yet you constantly pit the players against each other and yourselves(devs). You do not want to be remembered like Star Wars Galaxies.

You keep targeting stupid stuff in the game. You worry about tails on Kobali, or people in swimsuits in battle, or you can't mix and match armors you had to grind rep for. You nerfed pretty much the basic tac/sci/eng abilities to sell new ships. You told us to come up with new builds then took the new builds away by making super npc's. Now your targeting events.

STOP TARGETING PLAYERS PLEASE!! This is what we feel you are doing. This is why most of us are choosing to no longer spend money on this game.

This is very noble of you..... I hope Cryptic can appreciate that. :(
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Nah I'm protesting while walking my dog & having "fun" instead .... since doing everything else than 25x of "Flying High" is a complete waste of time this year ... again thank you Cryptic for opening my eyes !!!
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Twirling their handlebar mustache of course ;P

But of course! :D

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
This discussion has been closed.