Install Arc
Options

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Why would the costumes? They're talking pearls not favors.

They're talking exclusivity...
    Why are you retiring the Risian Lohlunat Pearls?

We want to maintain the exclusivity and collectability of the event ships from the Summer Event each year...

...so why stop with the ships?

The vanity items would make far more sense as exclusive items for event participation than actual gameplay items anyway...
  • Options
    teacherboiteacherboi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So, that means for future events we can't use the previous years tokens on the current year. I bet this goes for the winter event as well. That's bollix! Not everyone can play everyday and some times we have to waut 'til an event comes around to get something we've want. Like the Risan Corvette. It took me two years because the event ended before I could do my last three runs.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I also like no LOVE how they're auto cancelling all unfinished projects at the end of the event so you can't leave it in there but have to collect the box. :mad:

They're talking exclusivity...

...so why stop with the ships?

Cause the ships are their money makers.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not a fan of these changes at all.

I have a reasonable number of pearls left over from last year though I didn't save up on purpose. I was looking forward to using them to reduce a few days of grind.

This is disappointing.
  • Options
    takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "We want to close the gap between new players and old ones"

Proceeds to widen the gap with a decision like this

Cryptic please.

You're contradicting yourself every step of the way.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This has the 'stink' of Geko written all over it. What this also shows very clearly is that T5U ships are considered completely worthless by Cryptic. I would recommend claiming/Reclaiming or whatever and of the consoles from two Risian ships if you are going to rid your inventory of the ships themselves. Knowing how they work there will probably be a new console with whatever they are releasing that gives two or three console bonuses.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    themarie wrote: »
    So saving up 2400 lolWhat Pearls from the exchange and grinding nets me... quite a boost. Nice.

Of course I would be at Cryptic's door if they had just voided out my stash without compensation -- ;)

Keep it in perspective folks -- at least we are getting something. Spec points for pearls isn't that bad a deal really.

You're forgetting one important thing mate. People that play games like this are collectors, and any toon that's not a dil mule 'has' to have every ship that the others do. I think more people will be upset with this for not being able to get the two retired Risian ships than people jumping for joy over the easy Spec points if you horded pearls.

The Risian cruiser especially since we only had one year to get it.

Stack onto that what this most likely means for Q's Winder Wonderland this winter. Those Breen ships are rather popular, and there is a T6 ship in that lot that comes with a console set REQUIRING the other two. :(
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whelp, consider me out for the next Winter and Anniversary event should they keep this up.

Not going to grind unnecessarily each season.

I'll throw spare Lobi for any of the event currency; but probably only to build it up for future similar event currency retirement shops, because I will not play it their way. There are other games that let me reuse previous event currency as needed, or DON'T EVEN REQUIRE I GRIND FOR THE EVENT REWARD.

My winter break is looking a lot lighter. Thanks Cryptic, I needed a break from seriously playing STO anyway. :cool:
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not cool guys... not cool at all...

I've been banking pearls since this event was introduced, rolling them over year over year since I didn't care about the previous ships.

I appreciate the concept of "everyone being on equal footing" but honestly, that doesn't make any amount of sense. I've grinded for 3 years, saving up pearls... who in their right mind would be "offended" that they weren't on equal footing with me if they either spent their pearls or are new to the game?

This is strictly a timing issue... preventing players with banked currency from getting the ship earlier than those who don't have any banked currency. Again, who really does that hurt? If anything, seeing people in the new shiny would encourage others to grind harder to keep up...

Obviously this is a done deal, and I appreciate that an effort was made to provide value to the pearls. I have over 2000 of those saved up so I'll be cleaning house on Elite R&D Packages...

Honestly, thinking it through I'd be more upset with what you're giving the players with banked currency than getting the ship a bit early. That's a LOT of spec points or Elite R&D materials I'll be getting... I could easily clear 10 spec points... that's quite an advantage over someone who has to grind all that out.

Bottom line... I'm guessing this is centered around trying to make some $$$ off the event ship and having all those banked pearls would put a hit on that plan. I'm guessing the event won't run long enough to grind the all currency needed to buy the ship so we'll see a hybrid "grind/pay" system in place. Part pearls and part Dil I'm guessing... but that's just speculation.

Regardless, moves like this run counter to statements on how healthy the game is... actions speak so much louder than press releases.
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    takeguru wrote: »
    Cryptic please.

You're contradicting yourself every step of the way.
    Now, THAT!!!!!! is Canon.
    Star Trek didn't do anything BUT contradicting everything as they went along.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Cause the ships are their money makers.

Well much like they haven't maintained any exclusivity with the ships by selling them...
    ...they could just move the previous costumes to the Lobi Store or the like...
    ...to maintain the particular type of exclusivity that Cryptic enjoys.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the laugh Cryptic , I needed it . :D

Now mind you , I'm not sure if I'm laughing @ the Cryptic employees who learned nothing from the Year of Hell or their idiotic costumer base who keep showering Cryptic with money, only to get showered with nerfs in return, but the circus must go on ... !

... it used to be a show, but then PW happened ...
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Absolutely loving the new avatar virus :D
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Not cool guys... not cool at all...

I've been banking pearls since this event was introduced, rolling them over year over year since I didn't care about the previous ships.

I appreciate the concept of "everyone being on equal footing" but honestly, that doesn't make any amount of sense. I've grinded for 3 years, saving up pearls... who in their right mind would be "offended" that they weren't on equal footing with me if they either spent their pearls or are new to the game?

This is strictly a timing issue... preventing players with banked currency from getting the ship earlier than those who don't have any banked currency. Again, who really does that hurt? If anything, seeing people in the new shiny would encourage others to grind harder to keep up...

Obviously this is a done deal, and I appreciate that an effort was made to provide value to the pearls. I have over 2000 of those saved up so I'll be cleaning house on Elite R&D Packages...

Honestly, thinking it through I'd be more upset with what you're giving the players with banked currency than getting the ship a bit early. That's a LOT of spec points or Elite R&D materials I'll be getting... I could easily clear 10 spec points... that's quite an advantage over someone who has to grind all that out.

Bottom line... I'm guessing this is centered around trying to make some $$$ off the event ship and having all those banked pearls would put a hit on that plan. I'm guessing the event won't run long enough to grind the all currency needed to buy the ship so we'll see a hybrid "grind/pay" system in place. Part pearls and part Dil I'm guessing... but that's just speculation.

Regardless, moves like this run counter to statements on how healthy the game is... actions speak so much louder than press releases.

If this happens I'M going to stop playing STO, I've generally taken all the nerfs/grinds with a grain of salt, but if we're gonna have to grind AND pay just to get an event ship...

I'm out.
  • Options
    kerfokerfo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm surprised that anyone else is surprised. I was kind of wondering when something like this might happen.

Watching the direction this game's gone for years I am just "meh" about it things like this. Nothing you can do about it.
    STO forum term definitions for newbies: Piloting Skill: That thing you do where you fly around and avoid big scary green plasma balls of death. Pressing F and spacebar may also relate to skill. Taco: A very sacred thing. Do not speak I'll of the Taco or things will happen. Terrible things! Humor: Something not found here. Don't bring it. This forum is serious business. Fun: Something illegal. Don't have it and don't bring it
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Amazingly there doesn't seem to be a single person defending this decision. Totally universal condemnation. Three years, I don't think I've ever seen the community so united before. That really says just how bad a call this is.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wow.... just wow...

Thanks for making me COMPLETELY waste my entire time I spent grinding out 1000 extra pearls last year.
    Real low blow Cryptic. :mad:
  • Options
    phrgphrg Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can understand why they're doing this.

It does not make me less annoyed.

But I understand...

:mad:

Universal Tech Upgrades here I come!

Just means this year I will play the event just enough to get the ship. Then stop.
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is the one item I took exception to:
    Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?

No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival.

I specifically unlocked both of those ships last event so that characters I will create in the future would have the discount on unlocking them.

And now that you have announced that those future characters won't be able to claim them, apparently I wasted my time unlocking those ships!

Before someone says something like "create the characters now", I am unable to do so.
    For two of them, the playable species were not created when Delta Rising was released.
    And that was unusual, since they are Delta Quadrant species.
    For the third character, it requires the release of the Cardassian playable faction.
    I'm uncertain if the fourth character will ever exist.

Do not mention making custom aliens either, I don't like ersatz copies with no unique traits.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is going to have to be a phenomenal ship trait for this Event's ship.

Otherwise I for one will pass on participating in the summer event.

Can't wait to have my Q Glossies & Qmendations thrown in the garbage for a couple of spec points on characters I don't play anymore...
  • Options
    jorumgandrjorumgandr Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Tis very annoying... I'll get mad, and then get sad, and try to barter for a compromise and then ultimately accept the change. I mean... only one toon will be getting the ships any ways, go go experimental technology caitian. but at least I can get a spiffy happy face emote for muh ship
  • Options
    solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Seems like an utterly pointless change...can't see how stockpiling pearls is a problem; maybe the pearls are affecting their bottom line somehow. smh
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Amazingly there doesn't seem to be a single person defending this decision. Totally universal condemnation. Three years, I don't think I've ever seen the community so united before. That really says just how bad a call this is.

Haha! That's the spirit! Let us band togather and unite against the oppressive nerfs of management!

Wait a minute... Let's just voice our disapproval of this for months/years instead... It worked with the Galaxy/Andromeda Class...
  • Options
    craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They want you to play, hence the move. They don't want a huge part of the player base getting the new shiny on day 1 and not coming back to play!

If they want us to play,(which i do eachday:) ), why not at least keep the previous years ships for us to still get? I have 3 new toons and they will miss out on those ships now :(
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ill be honest, I'm not happy.
    All that planning and forcing myself to run event stuff to the very last day, (on all events last year) so I could Relax the next year was all pointless.
    I WAS SO LOOKING FORWARD TO RELAXING FOR ONCE.
    I've played this game for 3 years, and this would've been the first time I was able to get the event ships on the first few days.
    Man, I'm so totally bummed.
    *chances are I would have run the event everyday anyway to continue the stockpiles....* but I guess now ill just earn enough and not be bothered.

No offense to Trendy, not her fault, so I won't whine anymore. And I'm glad ill get some stuff for them...
    But, i feel like I've been punched in the gut. I was so looking forward to taking these events easy this year..
    (I would've still logged in everyday as usual - its not like I wouldve went AWOL or something) but alas, that won't be the case.

Sniff* QQ
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    kerfokerfo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Now that's surprising isn't it? Lol. At this point there'd be people biting each others necks off with everything else. There was people who even wanted the slow XP progression in the game. I'm not gonna get my hopes up on any of this event stuff being reversed though.
    STO forum term definitions for newbies: Piloting Skill: That thing you do where you fly around and avoid big scary green plasma balls of death. Pressing F and spacebar may also relate to skill. Taco: A very sacred thing. Do not speak I'll of the Taco or things will happen. Terrible things! Humor: Something not found here. Don't bring it. This forum is serious business. Fun: Something illegal. Don't have it and don't bring it
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tobiashirt wrote: »
    I still don't get why people want to fly something on day one...the ships aren't so leaps-and-bounds above anything else that having them soon is an advantage, and most people will eventually get them anyway. If there's an OP console or some such, everyone will have a level playing field.

I was never one to go for day 1, but I always had a few days' worth saved to give myself wiggle room...~35-day event and 25 dailies needed, so if I have stuff saved to skip 5 days, that means I only need every other day during the event. Overall, color me indifferent, because the dailies are a couple of minutes each, and I have a manageable number of toons (7), so it's probably in-and-out in 30-45 min/day if everyone remains parked on Risa.

People wanted to fly the ship the first day just so they can show off something that would take most people 25 days to get.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    rnaughtrnaught Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Why did you guys even make the event reputation tab? It's pointless now.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, THIS seems like a good idea.

Tomorrow it'll be T7 ships and having to buy upgrades so we can make our T6 ships into T6-U's.

And then they'll create another half faction with the Cardassians and when they are added into the half Romulan faction, players will finally have their full new faction despite both of them added together are still only half a faction.

Then we'll get the skills revamp...

Okay, those first few paragraphs were meant to be funny but now, with a skills revamp apparently in the works, I'm honestly scared what they may do to mess THAT up.
    Make a man a fire and keep him warm for the day.

Set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Was genuinely looking forward to having the 'vette on my two new characters (who could make best use of it). Ah, well. Disappointment, thy name is Cryptic.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would say this shafts new players as they don't have a chance to get the ships offered in the past. What really is disappointing about this is, it leaves me with no reason to run the event at all if I am not interested in the ship being offered. At least the old system allowed me to grind some pearls to save up for next year.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
This discussion has been closed.