test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Any tips on soloing "flying blind" (thats DS( alpha, beta, gamma..etc..)

realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Academy
I can't seem to quite figure out how to complete this solo (and no luck finding a team)..

I get alpha, beta, gamma, and once got delta and epsilon, but usually delta and so forth don't light up for quite some time, or never.

is there some timing or sequence I can expect? Is it random?

Would hate for this to be the one mission my delta couldn't complete. I really wish we were allowed to skip one mission on a tier...
Post edited by realisticalty on

Comments

• Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Operation Gamma? I've never had any trouble with it.

The sequence is not random, they highlight in ascending order, with a spawn of repair drones and enemy fighters every few nodes. Are you successfully defeating them without letting them repair?
  • Options
    blackhatgaryblackhatgary Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I kind of cheated... I put two AP 360 arc beam banks on my shuttle and didn't have to try and turn to face the repair things which seemed to always be behind me on the other side.
    Worked well with the Dominion ships too. (This was handy killing the swarmers later on, and fun when I destroyed the Ferengi) Yeah, I shot her... :D
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Ahh knowing the repair drones are not random but spawn every few nodes helps - part of it is hard for me to keep watching for repair drones while everything else is going on.

Also, maybe I need to defeat more of the fighters for the further spawns? That might explain what I'm seeing.

The 360's are a great idea. I'm so used to flying a huge boat that this litle shuttle is like a pebble in the ocean....
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I kind of cheated... I put two AP 360 arc beam banks on my shuttle and didn't have to try and turn to face the repair things which seemed to always be behind me on the other side.
    Worked well with the Dominion ships too. (This was handy killing the swarmers later on, and fun when I destroyed the Ferengi) Yeah, I shot her... :D

did similar with a 360 arc beam w/FAW skill, a torp w/torp spread skill, and one of those beam floating turret devices and I just kind of kept flying in tight circles.

then later on with the swarmers.. I ran out of the cave, dropped a turret went FAW and Torp spread and backed into the cave again nearly decimated the swarmers in a minute.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Area of effects such as torpedo spread, beam fire at will, and C-Store ship consoles like Aceton Assimilator on the KDF side, or Point Defense on the Fed side really help this one.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Ahh knowing the repair drones are not random but spawn every few nodes helps - part of it is hard for me to keep watching for repair drones while everything else is going on.

Also, maybe I need to defeat more of the fighters for the further spawns? That might explain what I'm seeing.

There isn't actually that much going on, everything is sequential.

Disable a node, and either it spawns fighters and drones or it doesn't.
    If it doesn't, it spawns another node.
    If it spawns fighters and drones, you need to destroy the spawn before it proceeds to the next step.
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Best advice on soloing this mission...

Plan - A : Don't, take a friend 2 shuttles handle it easily.

Plan - B : Do what many people don't, upgrade that shuttle you had to get for an earlier mission with some decent gear. You don't have to spend mon ey to do this, normal leveling up of your main ship, and randon drops/mission rewards will provide enough halfway decent gear (at that level) to make the shuttle better.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I just borrow two beam arrays off my normal ship and grab FAW1. Works just fine, at least on Normal.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Plan - B : Do what many people don't, upgrade that shuttle you had to get for an earlier mission with some decent gear. You don't have to spend mon ey to do this, normal leveling up of your main ship, and randon drops/mission rewards will provide enough halfway decent gear (at that level) to make the shuttle better.

Absolutely.

*THAT* I did. And it made all the difference in the world. Now, armed with the advice from this thread I'll try it again later tonight..knowing its sequential and not random should give me what I need...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Best advice on soloing this mission...

Plan - A : Don't, take a friend 2 shuttles handle it easily.

I once did it with the MK11 Borg set on a delta Flyer. :D

Actually my #1 tip here is to get into position to hit the node, stop, turn around so that you're facing the center, THEN interact with the node, this way you're facing where the repair drones spawn. A quick torp spread or FaW will deal with them nicely.

Oh and yeah... I always go either all beams or all torps.FaW with 2 decent beam arrays is nice. but pairing a Hargh with a Photon or Quantum Torp spread is deadly too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Absolutely.

*THAT* I did. And it made all the difference in the world. Now, armed with the advice from this thread I'll try it again later tonight..knowing its sequential and not random should give me what I need...

And prioritise killing the repair drones - if they repair you have to start again.

I used the point defence module from the Tier 3 Akira zen ship - killed all of the swarmers in literally four seconds.

Love it.

Also, doesn't everuone shoot farek???
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    My shuttle has no BOFFS and I don't have the c-store console..so got to epsilon but not to the end..yet...

Wonder if there is a free small craft that has a BOFF, would love BFAW...
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Free, no...

But the Danube Runabout (Fed), Kestrel Runabout (Rom) and Toron shuttle (KDF) only cost EC, no Zen or Dilithium - if you don't have a C-Store small craft, I definitely recommend getting whichever one is your faction's before starting Operation Gamma. Between the Work Bees and Jem'hadar fighters and some enemies you face later in the mission, Torpedo Spread or BFAW are your best friends for this mission. Personally, I go with the same strategy markhawkman mentioned - get into interaction range, rotate my ship in place until I'm facing the 'lower tower' of DS9, ready Torp-Spread, interact and then pop off a nice big buffet of BANG! as soon as the interact bar is full - I can usually take out most of the Work Bee and a good number of fighters right off the bat that way...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Wow, I am embarassed, and glad I asked. I should have looked more closely at the selection of small craft long before this.

But, thanks very much for the info. I just picked up the Kestrel.

And even though I don't have 360's, sitting in the center is what I've been trying, too. Almost got it last time, can't wait to try it with the runabout.

Nice to have access to a good small craft for future events and such...
    Free, no...

But the Danube Runabout (Fed), Kestrel Runabout (Rom) and Toron shuttle (KDF) only cost EC, no Zen or Dilithium - if you don't have a C-Store small craft, I definitely recommend getting whichever one is your faction's before starting Operation Gamma. Between the Work Bees and Jem'hadar fighters and some enemies you face later in the mission, Torpedo Spread or BFAW are your best friends for this mission. Personally, I go with the same strategy markhawkman mentioned - get into interaction range, rotate my ship in place until I'm facing the 'lower tower' of DS9, ready Torp-Spread, interact and then pop off a nice big buffet of BANG! as soon as the interact bar is full - I can usually take out most of the Work Bee and a good number of fighters right off the bat that way...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The Kestrel is pretty much the best shuttle available, because it has Quantum Absorption.
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    what you can also do is equip the orion fighters you get from a mission ( as a consumable ) and have them take on the other fighters while you kill workbees
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I like to carry those turret consumables while in my shuttle as well. It makes the "boss" fights much easier.
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    you can't use the scorpion fighters consumable anymore though ( just saw that yesterday ) . Best use one of the turrets from doff-assignments ( not the ones costing 50,000 ec , never do those ! ), those are just as effective .

If you use the Kestrel shuttle ( as a romulan ) it has both cloak and quantum absorption , forget about picking up the "default " shuttlecraft for any faction but check out the ones costing ec only .
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And prioritise killing the repair drones - if they repair you have to start again.

I used the point defence module from the Tier 3 Akira zen ship - killed all of the swarmers in literally four seconds.

Love it.

Well you get an accolade if you don't so I like to have every character spare her at least once...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    After doin it a dozen times on previous alts, plus repeats for gear. I said hell with it. Put the difficulty on lowest setting and Torp Spread things with the Emission Plas Torp. Easy Peasy. While I can, and have gotten thru it on elite and advanced settings on all alts before. I'm just sick of that mission. Helps if before you disable a node, you stop and face the spawn before doin so with spread ready. Or FAW if you go the dual omni route. It's tedious. Like most.... ok, all of the Cardassian arc.
  • Options
    sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well you get an accolade if you don't so I like to have every character spare her at least once...

I usually let her off, kill if I repeat the mission. Not cause I like her or am 'kindhearted', but because I ain't no dominion flacks bully boy. They can go pound sand. Even if I'd rather blow her outta space, I'd rather TRIBBLE on their boots and tell em it's raining more.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Love it.

I never shoot the Ferengi, because I love to see the dissatisfaction on the face of Eraun. Look also at that Jem'Haddar behind him. You still get what you want.