test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Picards Tommy gun?

willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
Just wondering if there is a chance that we will see it ingame maybe as reward for the next Mirror Universe Event.

We have a shotgun, a Sniper Rifle but no full-Auto.
And i don't think it would be OP. We can boost energy weapons attacks now with the Romulan Armor and also the shields of most enemies are down very fast
Post edited by willamsheridan on

Comments

• kerfokerfo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Would be amusing and fun. There are technically full-auto weapons already in the game such as the romulan plasma-piercing rifle (or whatever the correct name was.) So, the base mechanics could already work for a tommy gun. I would say one thing to worry about is probably reloading or something, but they could always mix that into a mechanic kind of like how the flame thrower has the fuel bar. Could make the magazine something similar to that, except it wouldn't auto-regenerate of course. (Then again we never actually reload the shotgun and TR-116B either)

All the mechanics for it to work are there. I guess it'll just come down to if they're amused to add it into the game or not. Would be fun though. I'm sure this question has been asked many times before (I'm sure I've seen many threads on it over time). Never paid much attention to whether or not they ever said no to the idea though.
    STO forum term definitions for newbies: Piloting Skill: That thing you do where you fly around and avoid big scary green plasma balls of death. Pressing F and spacebar may also relate to skill. Taco: A very sacred thing. Do not speak I'll of the Taco or things will happen. Terrible things! Humor: Something not found here. Don't bring it. This forum is serious business. Fun: Something illegal. Don't have it and don't bring it
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just wondering if there is a chance that we will see it ingame maybe as reward for the next Mirror Universe Event.

And i don't think it would be OP. We can boost energy weapons attacks now with the Romulan Armor and also the shields of most enemies are down very fast

Truth be told, most of the so-called "full auto" weapons in this game are actually "burst fire" weapons.

And a Thompson submachine gun with a burst limiter would offend the firearms guru within me.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Picard, Kirk, Spock have had Tommy Guns. Star Trek had a thing for Tommy Guns :)
    XzRTofz.gif
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kerfo wrote: »
    Then again we never actually reload the shotgun and TR-116B either...

HEADCANON TIME!

They installed a replicator in the magazine well. Problem mostly solved. Maybe the same excuse could be used for the Thompson. But the question remains: M1928 of WWII glory or the M1921 of gangster infamy?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
    edited May 2015
    a3001 wrote: »
    HEADCANON TIME!

They installed a replicator in the magazine well. Problem mostly solved...

It would solve it to some extent. Though don't replicators need material to create material instead of magically making it appear? Would still then have to manually reload it. Not that any of it truly matters to me in the end. I mean, I don't expect things in this game to remotely make sense all the time. (Like having a turbolift failure where one half my body is above the turbolift and other half sticking out of the ceiling of said turbolift at the Embassy)

But, whether there is a logical way around all that it seems there's plenty of mechanics in the game that would support the gun at least.
    STO forum term definitions for newbies: Piloting Skill: That thing you do where you fly around and avoid big scary green plasma balls of death. Pressing F and spacebar may also relate to skill. Taco: A very sacred thing. Do not speak I'll of the Taco or things will happen. Terrible things! Humor: Something not found here. Don't bring it. This forum is serious business. Fun: Something illegal. Don't have it and don't bring it
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    a3001 wrote: »
    HEADCANON TIME!

They installed a replicator in the magazine well. Problem mostly solved. Maybe the same excuse could be used for the Thompson. But the question remains: M1928 of WWII glory or the M1921 of gangster infamy?

If you wanted a purely mil-spec Thompson, then the M1. The military '28s were just civilian weapons with new furniture.

The 1921 and 1928 with the civvie stocks, ribbed barrels, Cutts compensator, and fifty round drum mag are beautiful weapons. But feel more "clumsy" to me than the military stocked models (yes, I've fired actual Thompsons).

In honor of Picard, I would rather have the civvie version in the game, though.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wasn't Picards Thompson holographic? Might have a problem using that outside of a ships holoemitter range.
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And a Thompson submachine gun with a burst limiter would offend the firearms guru within me.

But Thompsons came fitted with a burst regulator...

That horrendous double wedge friction slip breech delay thing, originally designed for low power rounds, that killed the original idea of using the design as an auto rifle in .30-06, and forced it's downgrade to .45 acp pistol ammo.

Even then, the damn things did have a nasty tendency to jam on a regular basis.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Truth be told, most of the so-called "full auto" weapons in this game are actually "burst fire" weapons.

Most, but not all. The romulan piercing plasma weapons are full auto (so Cryptic could just dump new art assets onto that weapon platform and call it a mirror event.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • themic609themic609 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If they were to add that. I would want anAK47 added for good measure :D
    "Helm Prepare Maneuver Circle Target Alpha, Tactical Prepare BFAW3 and mash Spacebar"

• feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All I ask is if they put in the Thompson is they also put the 20s costuming too. ;)

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2015

We have a shotgun, a Sniper Rifle

Now we need a four-wheel-drive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk#t=48s

Now maybe you get it?
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Love to have a Chicago typewriter in game. You would probably have to lug a fifty pound backpack for the Ammo, however.
    edited May 2015
    feiqa wrote: »
    All I ask is if they put in the Thompson is they also put the 20s costuming too. ;)

If you have the clothing and the gun, you'll get a 2-piece set bonus:

Coolness: You look so cool all enemies in a 20m radius will stop firing at you. 10 second damage immunity buff to you and your team. Resets every time you leave combat.

Gun 'em Down: Due to your old school gansta skills, you can gun all your enemies down in one volley with your secondary full-auto attack. +100% Critical Hit Chance, +200% Critical Severity.
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Love to have a Chicago typewriter in game. You would probably have to lug a fifty pound backpack for the Ammo, however.

-5% movement speed, because this will offset the power of the 2-piece set.

There, I just did Cryptics work for them for free. All they gotta do now is add in the visuals , etc, and we're good to go!
  • herbiehdykemanherbiehdykeman Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'll bet that they have factories of Sigma Iotia II that still make these guns :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015

^ This ^

/10Char
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • pennylongpennylong Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think this would be a really fun way to do the gangster world tos episode. All this doom and gloom war is kinda repetitive, a fun distraction mission like that would be so refreshing.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »

Replicator in the magazine. Nuff said.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

Of course nor the shotgun nor TR-116b is OP. (rofl...)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    On the subject of projectile ground weapons, something like the Thompson and the M1 Garand would work.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
      edited May 2015
      Only if they gave our captains the Picard "get off my lawn" rage-scream emote at the end of the full auto animation.

I'd even pay Zen for that. :o
    • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
      edited May 2015
      kerfo wrote: »
      If you have the clothing and the gun, you'll get a 2-piece set bonus:

Coolness: You look so cool all enemies in a 20m radius will stop firing at you. 10 second damage immunity buff to you and your team. Resets every time you leave combat.

Gun 'em Down: Due to your old school gansta skills, you can gun all your enemies down in one volley with your secondary full-auto attack. +100% Critical Hit Chance, +200% Critical Severity.

All that is missing is a damage bonus to melee attacks the lower the HP of the target is so you can finish it by rifle-butt bludgeoning it to death with an epic scream.
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
      edited May 2015
      I just fail to see the desire to load up a star trek game with ancient projectile weaponry,... someone a while back even suggested something like a rail gun for ships. At least projectile small arms make a little more sense, at least the people you're shooting at aren't traveling at half or more of C,...
      "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
      "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard