test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

what are these swirling things?

x6460x6460 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
They keep getting worse, and worse. I see more and more of them.

Are they a bug? are they some kind of after affect that just lingers? am I the only one seeing these? nobody else seems to know.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/o5nz95.jpg
Finally decided to make a sig.
I see allot of them with a character, and ship.
though I'm not sure which ship to put on there...
I'll think about it. This will do for now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by x6460 on

Comments

• Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As far as I understand they're Romulan singularity points and basically do to them enemy's ships what those Undine portals does to yours. They're harmless to your ship so you can just fly through them if you want.

As to why you are seeing more of them now I don't know.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They look like the new Subspace Vortex skill.. and they generally appear to be around where mobs spawn. They also appear to do a lot of damage in addition to having a minor pull.

My conjecture is creative players have somehow figured out how to summon them without having them ever expire. I did notice some buggy behavior while testing them where you could teleport to a vortex even after it closed... perhaps something is interfering with the ability swapping between the anomaly and teleport. (A mixture of high lag and heavy cooldown reduction?)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This is what it looks like when my Romulan ship implodes.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/10hoprr.jpg

This is a Romulan singularity jump.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/52ju9s.jpg

Romulan singularity swirls are green
    Science Black holes are purple
    Undeen "Rifts" are yellow

These are dark blue/black swirls. And they linger without anybody being around. They also seem to have an affect on enemy ships, damaging them, and perhaps draining something from them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Do see them too often. Thought it had something to do with the Iconian war, opening portals where the Iconians or their allies will come through. I begin to wonder though, it could be a bug.

Neverwinter had a bug for some time where the graphical gimmicks of a hunter shot did not disappear. It made the game quite laggy after some time.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I'll update this post if my next experiment pans out,

I just had a thought. maybe it's the Gravimetric Photon Torpedo Launcher.

I think I have one on my main Romulan. I'll go test that and see what it does.

UPDATE: It's not the Gravimetric Photon, But I suspect it's something similar. The Gravmitric Photon's affect is more white. and it didn't linger.

I'm thinking one of the new weapons that has a proc that causes this. and then it lingers. I'm thinking it's some kind of bug off one of these weapons, who ever is using them should probably know. I can't imagine they don't see what's going on.
    fovrel wrote: »
    Do see them too often. Thought it had something to do with the Iconian war, opening portals where the Iconians or their allies will come through. I begin to wonder though, it could be a bug.

Neverwinter had a bug for some time where the graphical gimmicks of a hunter shot did not disappear. It made the game quite laggy after some time.

I also thought it might have been something to do with the Iconain war updates, which is why I ignored these the last few weeks, but it's getting worse. to the point of, well if you take a look at the first image I posted, there are battle areas that are pockmarked with these things.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's the Subspace Vortex skill from the Xindi lockbox.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9196243-xindi-terrestrial-lock-box

Look at the pic they posted in that blog in the middle. That's what we're all seeing. They just aren't despawning.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Beat me to, it.

I just now noticed this after looking around to see what the subspace Vortex looked like. and was going to point out the same thing.

Update: After looking around,
    It's the Subspcae Vortex from the Xindi Lockbox.
    Ok so, basically these are broken, and lingering.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/53/8b/538bb72081cabc252b40b6336eb749691429292356.gif

That's odd though, I could swear I've seen these around before the Xindi Lock Box was released.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ok, that explains it. I been seeing a lot of it in the Dyson Sphere area. Since my Romulan is there finishing up the Rep.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Subspace Vortexes with any hesitation, indeed. This skill is broken as Gre'Thor:
    -its cooldown doesn't show up, so you try to activate it but it doesn't
    -sometimes a vortex refuses to despawn (got that from one I spawned in a run of Gateway to Gre'Thor)
    -many randomly appear in the Solanae Dyson Sphere

And after the devs said they fixed it, it was quickly discovered the fix didn't work.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, tons of them in the Undine Space Zone, they never de-spawn and they continue to hurt the enemies. People just drop them all over the place and let them take out the spawns.

I have to think that all those rifts contribute at least something to the lag. They really should look into fixing these.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    fusionax77fusionax77 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As someone who has Subspace Vortex available, I can tell you exactly what's going on.

The rift targets an enemy and forms at their location, much like Gravity Well and such. It sits there in place and according to Subspace Vortex's tooltip, it's supposed to de-spawn in a set period of time, or after the player decides to activate the skill a second time and hop out of the Vortex.

We need someone to go in to do some more in-depth tests of the ability. My hypothesis is, due to Subspace Vortex requiring a target in order to work properly. Once the target dies, the Vortex should de-spawn or de-spawn after a set time. For some reason, that isn't happening as evident in that screenshot.

We need someone to reliably test for the following:

- If a Vortex despawns by itself if it's target is not killed.
    - If a Vortex despawns by itself if it's target is killed.
    - If a player can jump to a Vortex after it's target is dead.
    - If a bugged Vortex can still damage enemies or if it's just the effect that lingers.
    - If a Vortex despawns when the player that launched it moves to another map.
    - If a Vortex despawns when the player that launched it and subsequently killed it's "target" moves to another map.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And after the devs said they fixed it, it was quickly discovered the fix didn't work.

OMG, that's never happened before!! ;)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "Swirly thing alert!"

--- Red Dwarf
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    "Swirly thing alert!"

--- Red Dwarf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81W8tG3wH_4
    Laugh Tracks. They just make It worse. >_<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I thought they had something to do with the Iconians because I was seeing them in the Dyson Sphere before the New Lockbox the graphic does look similar but remember they do loook like some-type of vortex/doorway so maybe (fingers crossed) that the Iconians might show up in the Space Battlezone for a little bit of a changeup.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They need to fix whatever skill so those despawn,.. they sometimes make it so visibility in Dyson Space is almost zero.

Whatever else is wrong with the skill, it's despawning when it should.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As if there wheren't already not more than enough space effects/clutter/Beams/cannon fire/fighter/mine spam.
    Really annoying and making the game look way too cartoonish imo.

Less is more!
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I sooooooo don't want the ban hammer to whack me for what I am thinking.:D
  • Options
    camenecius#5698 camenecius Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Aw, I am so sad this is a bug and not some new content for the sphere where Iconians send scouting parties to try to reclaim it. Hint, hint.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    x6460 wrote: »

Are they a bug? are they some kind of after affect that just lingers? am I the only one seeing these? nobody else seems to know.

That is where the Langoliers come from. Their children manifest in STO as [Cannible Tribble]s.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    x6460 wrote: »

LOL. They're just meant to be portals, thru which the Voth spawn, for immersion and all that. :)

There are too many of them, though, I think; or, rather, they should despawn faster: Voth opens subspace portal, Zap! flying in, and close again!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    tried an undine battlezone today , between a ton of these swirly things and gasses and big green bubbles not to mention the undines own godawful bubbles and a load of other effects and powers I barely got a glimpse of the enemies, then theres the bloody lag that follows . they need to start cutting back on all these powers instead of continually adding more .
  • Options
    camenecius#5698 camenecius Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The interesting thing I noticed today is that they still seem to damage enemies. I went to retake the Wasteland tower in the contested zone, and the Voth there were already damaged. They were among several vortices and had effect trails connecting to them.