test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Don't play by the rules, Doesn't matter we don't care.

lerch2000lerch2000 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
Not sure I agree with this, you are basically rewarding those players who actively took advantage of an exploit. They should be punished and not be giving special privileges that no one else can do.

(Players may no longer equip two different "Ancient Omni-Directional Beam Array" by Upgrading one and leaving the other un-Upgraded.
Only one of this weapon is intended to be equipped at a time.
Players that have more than one currently equipped will not have their items removed, but will be unable to replace them if removed for any reason.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Word on the street is that that bit about not being unequipped is a lie and items are actually being sent to the overflow bag upon login.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lerch2000lerch2000 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    somebob wrote: »
    Word on the street is that that bit about not being unequipped is a lie and items are actually being sent to the overflow bag upon login.

Good to hear, thank you I am still patching at the moment just going over the patch notes and that stood out.

Thanks again
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lerch2000 wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with this, you are basically rewarding those players who actively took advantage of an exploit. They should be punished and not be giving special privileges that no one else can do.

(Players may no longer equip two different "Ancient Omni-Directional Beam Array" by Upgrading one and leaving the other un-Upgraded.
    Only one of this weapon is intended to be equipped at a time.
    Players that have more than one currently equipped will not have their items removed, but will be unable to replace them if removed for any reason.)

I wonder if it is technically infeasible to actually force them to unequip. Past experience with conversion scripts run on login for all players (such as BOFF conversion and dynamic item conversion) suggests to me that there is a serious cost to bandwidth--and the result could well be increased lag and rubber banding. In Cryptic's place, I would be very leery of trying to do something like that while trying to run down the current latency issues, both because it would TRIBBLE up my data that I was analyzing, and because aka would be making a very bad situation worse over a thing that affects a minority of players and does not have a game breaking impact.

I have seen a similar approach to tailor glitches, which also are not usually gamebreaking. My Kobali BOFF has a tail, on one of my toons, because I set her up on the first week she was available and features were available in the tailor that apparently were not supposed to be. If I alter her outfit in ANY way and save it, the tail will disappear.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Bear in mind that players who try to keep two ODBA's equipped after this fix are going to have to put up with considerable inconvenience to do it.

They can't move either of them to another ship. They can't switch layouts that would cause either of them to be unequipped. I'd bet that they can't upgrade either of them any further, either. Or even move them from one slot to another, say from fore to aft.

My guess is that there aren't enough of them out there like that to be worth the trouble to force remove them. And most of those are going to end up unequipped eventually anyhow.

I don't see that having two of them is such a huge advantage. If you could fill all your weapon slots with them, that'd be different.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Bear in mind that players who try to keep two ODBA's equipped after this fix are going to have to put up with considerable inconvenience to do it.

They can't move either of them to another ship. They can't switch layouts that would cause either of them to be unequipped. I'd bet that they can't upgrade either of them any further, either. Or even move them from one slot to another, say from fore to aft.

My guess is that there aren't enough of them out there like that to be worth the trouble to force remove them. And most of those are going to end up unequipped eventually anyhow.

I don't see that having two of them is such a huge advantage. If you could fill all your weapon slots with them, that'd be different.

The advantage comes from having 3 Omni's equipped, yes that's right, 3 being 2 ancient Omni's and, 1 crafted since only AP even allows more than 1 of the same energy type as of now, while before you could have 3.

No other energy type, allows more than 1 Omni array, of it's own energy type!

Only AP currently does.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »

"move them to another ship"... just do the mission over and get a new one

"can't switch layouts"... just manually move other items round like the "old days"

"can't upgrade" assuming then want to upgrade or haven't already gottem em to epic, AO is weaker than the player crafted one...

"move em to another slot... fore to aft" why would anyone sane put omi beams in the fore?

who cares if CP doesnt unslot em... to quote our future pres... "what difference does it make?"

AO has the dps of a turret...
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Bad timing for fixing Loadouts. If they were still bugged, it would mean a good chance that the Ancient Beam got unslotted due to the bug. :P
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I dont really see any problem with it. As far as I know the Ancient beam isnt as good as crafted ones anyway. To me its the same as when Cryptic changed the Ophidian Cane and Tractor Mines to be Unique, but anyway who already had multiples was allowed to keep them.
    No other energy type, allows more than 1 Omni array, of it's own energy type!

Only AP currently does.

The fact that AP builds can rightfully equip 2 Omni-beams (1 Ancient, 1 R&D) really doesn't bother me too much, The future might bring other versions of the Ancient one (set).
  • phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The difference in DPS between a mk infinity and mk 14 is so huge that there's really no advantage gained from double-slotting ancients.
    edited May 2015
    If there was no advantage as some here claim, then people would not bother doing it. :confused:
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lerch2000 wrote: »
    If there was no advantage as you say then people would not bother doing it. :confused:

They think there is, and that's enough.
    edited May 2015
    had to edited that last a little, I'm not here trying to start a fight so sorry about that. But anyhow sense it seems they are removing them then this thread has no purpose for me anymore, I do wish you all the best and enjoy your gaming. ;)
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't see how this is a big deal. Because it's not. Even if we were able to use 3 AP omni beam, and it was never nerfed, it's rather useless. In fact, 2ap omni beam and a 3rd from another energy type (something we can do) will likely produce the same DPS.
    Tac consoles doesn't buff DPS much anyway (base dps buff and all that).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tigeraries wrote: »
    "move em to another slot... fore to aft" why would anyone sane put omi beams in the fore?...

Umm, Shuttle? That is all I got.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    feiqa wrote: »
    Umm, Shuttle? That is all I got.

TBR towboat. Drag three targets behind your ship in a cloud of warp plasma and have the omnis in your front and the beams in your aft pepper them. Works great.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The ancient omni is about halfway between a turret and the crafted 360 degree. I can see some people liking this but I prefer using a regular beam there instead with ships that have 3 rear weapons. When I get the pilot ship for my AP character it only has 2 - crafted and cutting beam.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I use one Ancient and one Crafted UR omni that i got from the Exchange for a good price. the Crafted one is much better than the Ancient.

And i also don't think that its some kind of unfair Bonus to equip 2 Omnis.

If you use Disruptors you can get a Crafted Omni Array and the Biomol. Turret and you can get the Blood of Ancients set and theSurface tension console+Turret for a total of +40% Base Damage

Phasers: Crafted + Biomol. Turret+ Surf. Tension console

Plasma has the Romulan Array that doesn't cost you weapons Energy+ one Crafted

Tetryon and polaron: i am not sure
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I use one Ancient and one Crafted UR omni that i got from the Exchange for a good price. the Crafted one is much better than the Ancient.

And i also don't think that its some kind of unfair Bonus to equip 2 Omnis.

Of course it is. THey were designed/implemented with only one at a time in mind.
    If you use Disruptors you can get a Crafted Omni Array and the Biomol. Turret and you can get the Blood of Ancients set and theSurface tension console+Turret for a total of +40% Base Damage

Phasers: Crafted + Biomol. Turret+ Surf. Tension console

Plasma has the Romulan Array that doesn't cost you weapons Energy+ one Crafted

Tetryon and polaron: i am not sure

The Bio-Molecular Turrets are Turrets, by design 360 degree firing arc and have NEVER been limited to quantity slottable, therefore NOT in the same class as Omni-Directional Beams. They are NOT analogous to each other. Also, the Romulan Plasma array is the same arc as a regular beam array, 250 degrees, ALSO not in the same category as an Omni. It's advantage is that it doesn't draw power and has a inherent Crit chance.

As far as I am concerned, people, everyone, knew that the intention was one Omni-beam per type per ship. People found an exploit that the Dev's/Q&A/Whoever didn't catch to slot more than one. They patched it.

People are now upset that their exploitive, op builds are no longer possible. Oh well. If people can't understand the fundamental op'ness and unfair advantage of having multiple Omni's then they're either clueless, in serious denial or just greedy as hell.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I was running this setup until I discovered that my spiral waves were a better option. Pretty much the only exploit I took advantage of ever in three years (having three omnis was pretty cool).