test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Plasamatic Leech - Odds to get from Lock Box?

tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
Current exchange prices are insane for me... I have some keys... how are the odds of getting one from a lock box?

Or should I just save up some more EC and buy? Need 1 for a new Fed DR.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    STOwiki lists it as 2.01% from the Tal Shiar box...so it's going to be extremely rare.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think thats the general rule for most games when you want something out of a gambling/random loot box.

Dont open up gambling boxes in the hopes that you will get that random item that you want. Instead just earn currency through normal means to buy it from the exchange or by opening gambling boxes and selling whatever is inside them (or in STOs case just sell the keys). This is pretty much what i've seen people saying in STO and SWTOR. Probably other games people say it too but those are the only two i play with gambling boxes.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Odds are you'll get nothing. Sell the keys on the exchange to get enough EC for the leach.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Current exchange prices are insane for me... I have some keys... how are the odds of getting one from a lock box?

Or should I just save up some more EC and buy? Need 1 for a new Fed DR.

When I last looked, it was a little over 45 million, with the ship prize from that box being about 60 million. At that rate, the Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer will be the consolation prize from that lockbox in the foreseeable (all of those vowels in a row just looks wrong, doesn't it?) future.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    May the odds be ever in your favour?
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The RNG Gods are fickle. Whether you get the Plasmonic Leech or not, Cryptic profits.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you try your luck on the red side the chances are 100%. I know it's horrible compared to the whole 2.01 %;)
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Better Fed than red :p
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rakija879 wrote: »
    If you try your luck on the red side the chances are 100%. I know it's horrible compared to the whole 2.01 %;)

So if i open one of these lockboxes on my klingon there will be a plasmonic leach in there? I'm just wondering because this is not the first time i've read that they are practically free on red side, and my klingon engineer needs one because hes ditching aux2bat
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So if i open one of these lockboxes on my klingon there will be a plasmonic leach in there? I'm just wondering because this is not the first time i've read that they are practically free on red side, and my klingon engineer needs one because hes ditching aux2bat

You can't get the leach from a lockbox on the Klingon side. You need to buy the Vandal Destroyer for 1000 zen.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Wait... as an Eng, you have enough power problems that you need tricks to add more?

My first toon was an Eng, and I never had to pay any attention to power levels until I started a Tac toon.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Kdf cannot get it at all from a lockbox. Instead we buy a zen ship and have one on all of our characters for the price of 10 keys.
  • Options
    olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited May 2015
    I've opened two sets of 100 talshiar lockboxes (in the course of playing for several years)

in the first set, zero

in the second set, 4 (yeah 4)

if you want one particular thing from a particular lockbox, your usually better served buying it on the exchange

and the best quickest way to get EC is to sell keys on the exchange

EDIT: I seldom open boxes today, I used to find it fun, now I find it a bit painful
  • Options
    lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Kurland here ...

... my new Fed-Delta needs the leech too :(
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Odds are you'll get nothing. Sell the keys on the exchange to get enough EC for the leach.

I have 2 Fed Characters that have the Leech and that's how I have done it. Playing the Random Number Lottery has just never worked for me.

The first Leech, I just sold some keys and bought one. This was back when the Leech went for around 25M, I know it's more expensive now.

My Delta Recruit got one because the Crafting Gods smiled on me and I made a Phaser Beam with CritDx4 that I sold for 42M EC.

As a general rule, I only open lock boxes when I need Lobi.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I received two Plasamatics from the Locka Boxas very fasta, but then on the other hand, I opened about 50 or so boxas.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is why it really sucks being a new player and another example how new players have a much, much harder time than those who experienced everything bit by bit...

Everyone of my Fed chars (~ a dozen back then) got the box when it was ~500-800k on the exchange, right after release, which meant simply running a single, 2-3 minute "battleship-grinder" foundry mission and vendoring the trash was enough to afford it.

Nowadays, even if someone didn't totally suck at making money, it would take weeks of ingame time to accomplish the same...
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've opened two sets of 100 talshiar lockboxes (in the course of playing for several years)

in the first set, zero

in the second set, 4 (yeah 4)

if you want one particular thing from a particular lockbox, your usually better served buying it on the exchange

and the best quickest way to get EC is to sell keys on the exchange

EDIT: I seldom open boxes today, I used to find it fun, now I find it a bit painful

That's the ironic part...

If nobody opened gambling boxes, nobody would have the items to sell...
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    how are the odds of getting one from a lock box?

I opened 100 Tal Shiar boxes, got 2 plasmonic leech consoles; when the KDF character opens it, it becomes a "gas analyzer" console instead...

Good Luck! :)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The way I see it is, ballparking a key at 2mil, for 35m is 17 keys - is that a statistical number of keys that guarantees a 0.2 % drop?

Sure you have a chance at a 100m ship, ect, as well but my opinion is this - would you gamble on getting 35m+ ecs worth of sellables from 17 boxes?

If not, you are better off buying at exchange price
  • Options
    olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited May 2015
    That's the ironic part...

If nobody opened gambling boxes, nobody would have the items to sell...

yeah, the people who buy the keys on the exchange do

let them do it, unless, as someone else said, you want lobi ... or, you want to gamble

EDIT: you have to remember with gambling, most people talk about their wins, not their losses, so you generally get a skewed picture
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My fed engineer and my fed sci both have the leech - I bought them from the exchange for 400k ec or so. If back in the days I had bought a couple more... :P
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    burstorion wrote: »
    The way I see it is, ballparking a key at 2mil, for 35m is 17 keys - is that a statistical number of keys that guarantees a 0.2 % drop?

Sure you have a chance at a 100m ship, ect, as well but my opinion is this - would you gamble on getting 35m+ ecs worth of sellables from 17 boxes?

If not, you are better off buying at exchange price

Why do assume only a ship and PL have any value? There is the 85 lobi this will generate for a start plus any other drops from the boxes. You get something in everyone. All have some value.