test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can we hope for a carrier mega-pack in the future?

sophlogimosophlogimo Member Posts: 6,507 Arc User
Imagine this. In the same way they offered us Command Ships and are going to offer us Pilot ships, three per faction, for each faction, they could also make three carriers per faction, for three factions.

They would then be "already fleet level" just like the Command and Pilot ships, would come with their own boff and captain specialization and some special carrier abilities.

Personally, I'd find that awesome, even if it meant I'd have to collect lots of spec points for my carrier-relevant toons.

Random brainstormed ideas for boff abilities: Healing the daughtercraft, buffing the daughtercraft (separate abilities for offensive and defensive buffing), formations for the daughtercraft (which could work like attack patterns do, but just for the daughtercraft), re-launch speed increase, drawing fire away from the daughtercraft to the carrier or vice versa, ...

Ideas for captain abilties: Always-on light buffs to carrier daughtercraft such as weapons energy, damage resistance, shield regeneration, hit points, speed; increasing a target's vulnerability to daughtercraft damage by attacking it with the carrier's weapons...

Special feature of T6 carriers: Reviving defeated carrier daughtercraft? Increasing daughtercraft defense over time? Immediate callback?

What do you think about a carrier specialization and ship type?
Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Carrier Specialization seems not like a good idea IMO.

But the idea of a 3-ship pack of Carriers could work. The KDF at least definitely needs a Vo'Quv update, but what are the chances of it getting it? If it is bundled with Fed and Rom variants, it might become more attractive to customers and to Cryptic.

But I think the "Command" Specialization would work pretty well for Carriers. Carriers seem as suited for the Command role as Cruisers, if not more so.

Maybe another specialization will come up that would also be worth it, but a Carrier Specialization seems a bit too narrow IMO. But maybe I am wrong, looks like Pilot will also be relatively narrow.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The next 3 pack I'm looking forward to has to include 3 resignation / time to move on ... letters from everybody's favorite dev team .

... hopefully it won't be attached to any spec tree ...
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes, KDF and Roms need it.
    All for that.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Definitely. It it has been four years since the last carrier for the Klingons. I was hoping they would've done this earlier on in the season but I was disappointed. We will be hopeful for the future
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Their special trait should be that they can use any carrier specfic craft, no more this craft for that carrier.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

edited May 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    Definitely. It it has been four years since the last carrier for the Klingons. I was hoping they would've done this earlier on in the season but I was disappointed. We will be hopeful for the future

I would speculate that maybe carriers are unpopular, but that doesn't make sense - there have been Lockbox and Lobi Carriers, haven't there?
    And adding a single hangar to ship is also not uncommon.

So I can't really think of a good reason why they haven't done so, unless they are so popular that they are best served in lockboxes. :)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    ... hopefully it won't be attached to any spec tree ...

I could live with that if Gekos letter would be included ;)
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Edit:nvm.. That was Just gonna start a fight to each his own :) some of the variants are ok just not a fan of needing the lot just for a set bonus
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    Their special trait should be that they can use any carrier specfic craft, no more this craft for that carrier.

How about the ability to train fighters the way we train boffs? E.g., maybe an Atrox still can't carry Xindi or Elachi fighters, but they can train Stalkers in Scratch the Paint and Rapid Fire.
  • neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd rather a Kar'Fi than a Vo'Quv...
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,875 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    blitzy4 wrote: »

Sure...a carrier that can launch 4 drone ships...I'd like that :P
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If they do make T6 variant carriers, all the better, but not as a 3 pack. Carriers are always a good selling ship and Cryptic knows it.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would assume that in the future there will be a Carrier Specialization added to the game - they seem to be adding a new Specialization every 2-3 months. A Carrier 3-Pack will probably follow soon after.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Probably see a Shuttle with a Hangar before a Carrier 3/9 pack. ;)
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    neomodious wrote: »
    I'd rather a Kar'Fi than a Vo'Quv...

Agree. Vo'quv is too sluggish... while Kar'fi with the +turn and +shield consoles turn it into a battle carrier with 2 hangars.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can get behind this. I'd love to see the Vo' Quv get the T6 treatment. And it would be a great way to introduce a playable quality Jupiter to the game.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Carrier Specialization seems not like a good idea IMO.

But the idea of a 3-ship pack of Carriers could work. The KDF at least definitely needs a Vo'Quv update, but what are the chances of it getting it? If it is bundled with Fed and Rom variants, it might become more attractive to customers and to Cryptic.

But I think the "Command" Specialization would work pretty well for Carriers. Carriers seem as suited for the Command role as Cruisers, if not more so.

Maybe another specialization will come up that would also be worth it, but a Carrier Specialization seems a bit too narrow IMO. But maybe I am wrong, looks like Pilot will also be relatively narrow.

I would love to see true carriers brought to life in this game! for all factions.

for some reason though when i think of "federation carriers" alls i can think of is helicarriers -_-

though feds do actually already have one dont they?
    edited May 2015
    I would love to see true carriers brought to life in this game! for all factions.

for some reason though when i think of "federation carriers" alls i can think of is helicarriers -_-

though feds do actually already have one dont they?

The Atrox is the official Carrier available to Feds. (Everythnig else is lockbox material. It also means there isn't any Carrier with the classic Starfleet design.)
    Which might make an argument for creating a Tier 6 Atrox and a Tier 6 Feresan Carrier for the KDF. Not sure what the Romulans would have, they don't have any Felines :)

But I want an update to the Vo'Quv. It totally needs more customization options.
    And I would also like to see a Jupiter-Based carrier. If a Cryptic designer would revisit that ugly monstrosity and give it some alternate skins and some upgrades, it could be cool.

Mustrum "It's all for the kitbashing with me" Ridcully