test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's with all the cooldown timers?

paladinpaxpaladinpax Member Posts: 52 Arc User
So, I've been around pretty much since STO launched. My characters are maxed out. Other than grinding Spec points, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

Over the past few patches, there have been cooldown timers added to everything. Now, grinding is somewhat mind numbing, but now I have to spend time doing something even more boring - flying around wasting time.

Cryptic/PWE: is there some reason you don't want people to play STO anymore? There's little end game to speak of and you seem to want to make it as boring as possible. I've spent a ton of money on STO over the years, that's not going to continue if there's nothing worthwhile to do in game.

If you're going to make me grind, at least don't make it a pain in the butt.
Post edited by paladinpax on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,552 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you're going to make me grind,

Why are you doing things that you don't enjoy? What are you grinding for? Outside of PVP PUGs I can't think of a good reason why you "need" to grind. Spec points will take care of themselves eventually, give them time.

Why not start a second character while Delta Recruits is running? Then you can level up the alt in between repeating whatever content you think you "need" to grind.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Why are you doing things that you don't enjoy? What are you grinding for? Outside of PVP PUGs I can't think of a good reason why you "need" to grind. Spec points will take care of themselves eventually, give them time.

Why not start a second character while Delta Recruits is running? Then you can level up the alt in between repeating whatever content you think you "need" to grind.

Why am I doing things I don't enjoy? Because that's all that's left.

I like STO, I'm just not sure what's left to do other than work on my character. I've got top end equipment, I've gone through all my ships and and done their masteries, etc.

I've already done two Delta Alts. A Fed and a Rom. Believe me, repeating the episode content yet again is the last thing I have in mind. My fleet had a good chuckle when it was revealed the current task is doing mission replays (lmao! as if!).

Seriously. It was a bit of fun just blowing up things in patrols / red alerts. (Remember the old Mirror Event? The one before the Vauthlil station thing they run every now and then. That kind of thing was fun.) Now even that's locked behind a 30 minute timer. The content still there, I just don't understand why they don't want us to play it frequently? Because that's all there is to do. I could grind STFs I supposed, but the XP is terrible and I'm drowning in marks I have no use for already. There's only a few worth doing and they're also on cooldowns.

As for spec points taking time - yeah... I've been working on those since the day the level cap was increased and I'm almost finished with Intel & Pilot (through Tier 2). That's a hell of a lot of time.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cooldown timers are great because it saves me money. Plus it lets me tend to other things outside of STO. :)
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    paladinpax wrote: »
    So, I've been around pretty much since STO launched. My characters are maxed out. Other than grinding Spec points, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

Over the past few patches, there have been cooldown timers added to everything. Now, grinding is somewhat mind numbing, but now I have to spend time doing something even more boring - flying around wasting time.

Cryptic/PWE: is there some reason you don't want people to play STO anymore? There's little end game to speak of and you seem to want to make it as boring as possible. I've spent a ton of money on STO over the years, that's not going to continue if there's nothing worthwhile to do in game.

If you're going to make me grind, at least don't make it a pain in the butt.

I would have thought the answer was obvious, although in sto you a pretty much free to do as you like they don't want you spamming the same thing all the time they want you to play a variety of missions.

I cant see why you think this is a recent thing almost all the stuff I have ever done on a daily basis has always had cooldowns on them, mostly daily (20hr) cooldowns.

that's probably why I never get bored or feel like I`m grinding and the game is always fun for me.
    but then I`m not obsessed with getting the latest shinnies as soon as possible although I get all the stuff I want pretty quickly.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I would have thought the answer was obvious, although in sto you a pretty much free to do as you like they don't want you spamming the same thing all the time they want you to play a variety of missions.

Is there something inherently wrong with wanting to the same one over and over? Honestly, if you're going to make players fly all over the sector to just do slight variants on the same thing, what's the difference if they just do the same one over and over again, besides of course wasting time flying around sector space to actually get to something moderately enjoyable?
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    paladinpax wrote: »
    Is there something inherently wrong with wanting to the same one over and over?

Yes, its called "burning out." It happens more rapidly the more you repeat something within a given unit of time (to both your brain-scouring boredom and cryptic's financial loss). Therefore STO does what it can to try to get you to branch out and play other things.

If that still results in an indistinguishable wall of tedium, play something else.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yes, its called "burning out." It happens more rapidly the more you repeat something within a given unit of time (to both your brain-scouring boredom and cryptic's financial loss). Therefore STO does what it can to try to get you to branch out and play other things.

I view it quite differently - cutting me off from the activities that keep me around. I've continued to play for 5 years because I play the bits I like and avoid the bits I don't.

I feel like I'm a better judge of what I want to do than someone else. You'll notice that while I have multiple thousands of hours in the game, I don't come here to complain very often. I've on the whole been happy with the game, but it seems like Cryptic is going out of their way to increase the tedium as you put it.
    If that still results in an indistinguishable wall of tedium, play something else.

That's becoming more and more likely to happen with every patch.