test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP on ESD and First City..why not?

hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
Why not, cryptic could dedicate the first 5 instance maps to open world PVP. People would love it. You could have Klingons sneaking around on ESD and Feds on First City. Maybe even dedicat 1 of the Maps to PVP based missions so we could interact with each others worlds.

It could be World vs World 40 man vs. 40 man battles. Everything needed for this is already there. Crptics just needs to remove the faction lock on visiting each others Worlds. I think it would be fun.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But... but aren't Feddies and Klinks all supposed to be holding hands, singing Kumbaya, having love-ins with eachother, while the Romulans sit in the corner making lovebead necklaces and smoke something strange?
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Great idea in theory, but the playerbase simply cannot handle having to press a "respawn" button when dying.

As Druk stated above, players cannot handle snowballs with a 20% chance of being knocked over. Dying in the game drives players to tears, to full on emotional breakdowns. It's scary to watch.

STO players cannot handle any perceived negative consequences for anything. Why do you think they complain so much?

So basicaly after reading everyones response, I'm to believe the STO player base can't handle pvp becasue its players are a bunch of zanex crazey nervous idiots that couldn't handlly pvp in a game that should be legendary when it comes from the STO lore of Klingons and Feds fighting each other for oh....about 2-3 centuries. On and off of course. I'm not buying it. I think it would work and players would Love it...wait thats not what i meant..nvm.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    But... but aren't Feddies and Klinks all supposed to be holding hands, singing Kumbaya, having love-ins with eachother, while the Romulans sit in the corner making lovebead necklaces and smoke something strange?

Mike's Hard Pruneade...a Romulan Ale beverage.
  • lumpkin1lumpkin1 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The majority of players just like to see big yellow numbers while shooting at defenseless npcs. And the devs seem to be discouraging pvp by introducing so many ridiculous traits and consoles that are game breaking for pvp. Also it seems like the klingon kills not being reported is a running gag.
    edited May 2015
    lumpkin1 wrote: »
    The majority of players just like to see big yellow numbers while shooting at defenseless npcs. And the devs seem to be discouraging pvp by introducing so many ridiculous traits and consoles that are game breaking for pvp. Also it seems like the klingon kills not being reported is a running gag.

From today's Tribble notes...
    Tribble is being brought down for maintenance to update it to build ST.50.20150425a.4.

Resolved an issue which caused KDF Captains to not appear on the scoreboard at the end of a PvP match.

...there's more, but I snipped the rest.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1448801
  • lumpkin1lumpkin1 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Haha, they finally fixed it... Where'd everyone go?
    edited May 2015
    lumpkin1 wrote: »
    Haha, they finally fixed it... Where'd everyone go?

Personally, I think they were just holding on to it until enough frustration had built...so they could turn and say, "Look...we did something for PvP and for the KDF!" ;)

Kind of like those "aesthetic" changes for the KDF...tinfoil hat #325 believes that because of how the KDF look in missions and some Feddies complained about how they looked - so that's why those are being addressed. Kind of like the Intel stuff got changed (PvP blamed) but it was changed because the new enemies were going to be using it.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If this was implemented I forsee many people coming to ESD just to get slammed so they can complain about it philosophically in zone chat.

I also forsee a lot of rage in zone chat when people are trying to use the exchange lol

so simply answer:

NO.

if there was a seperate instance for it however........then it might be doable but still lol
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've seen people on the forum have full on nervous breakdowns because someone threw a snowball at their toon.

While the pvp thing is a legitimately good ide, I don't see it working out.

Yeah, I prefer to be left alone while I am doing my thing (Exchange terminal) on ESD, First City, New Romulus.

However... if I get the option to instantly disintegrate an offending toon which would cause that toon to be permanently deleted from the player's account... then I suppose I can deal with it...
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    People don't play PvP already because of the broken abilities and lack of balance between equipment. And nobody wants to be forced into PvP. What happens when all the other instances are full and the 5 PvP ones are the only ones open? No, this is just a terrible idea.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hyefather wrote: »
    So basicaly after reading everyones response, I'm to believe the STO player base can't handle pvp becasue its players are a bunch of zanex crazey nervous idiots that couldn't handlly pvp in a game that should be legendary when it comes from the STO lore of Klingons and Feds fighting each other for oh....about 2-3 centuries. On and off of course. I'm not buying it. I think it would work and players would Love it...wait thats not what i meant..nvm.

Eh. This is a typical modern PvE-focused MMO...... which means it has a rudimentary & unbalanced PvP minigame duct-taped on the side of it, as well as a small & vocal group of forumites who keep trying to insist that PvP is the center of the game and why aren't the devs spending more time on it? :rolleyes:

(Personally, I think the two game types should be kept separate. If you want to play PvP, play a PvP game designed for & around it. If you want to play PvE, play a game designed for & around it. All these attempts to blend the two just lead to poor programming, unfocused development, and clashing attitudes on forums & in chat.)
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ghyudt wrote: »
    People don't play PvP already because of the broken abilities and lack of balance between equipment. And nobody wants to be forced into PvP. What happens when all the other instances are full and the 5 PvP ones are the only ones open? No, this is just a terrible idea.

How is it forced when you'll be making the choice to go into a PvP instance, fully accepting that you could be attacked at any time?

Besides I've never seen every instance of a place full outside of the first days after a season or expansion release. I feel it's safe to assume that 9.5 times out of 10 they'll be enough free spaces for the risk averse.
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hyefather wrote: »
    Why not, cryptic could dedicate the first 5 instance maps to open world PVP. People would love it. You could have Klingons sneaking around on ESD and Feds on First City. Maybe even dedicat 1 of the Maps to PVP based missions so we could interact with each others worlds.

It could be World vs World 40 man vs. 40 man battles. Everything needed for this is already there. Crptics just needs to remove the faction lock on visiting each others Worlds. I think it would be fun.

"Admiral Quinn here, congratultions, you have reached level 10, report to my office on ESD for your new pips and a free ship requisition token, ASAP"

"Welcome to Sol, do you wish to dock?"

"Welcome to ESD, you have been murdered on the transporter pad by NoobKillingPvPA$$hat..."

"Do you wish to Respawn?"

"Cannot beam to ship while dead"

"Welcome to ESD, you have been murdered on the transporter pad by NoobKillingPvPA$$hat..."

"NoobKillingA$$hat has acheived 5000 kills, and reached PvP-Leet Rank"

Erm... Just NO, ok? Been tried elsewhere before, always been a total disaster.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Great idea in theory, but the playerbase simply cannot handle having to press a "respawn" button when dying.

As Druk stated above, players cannot handle snowballs with a 20% chance of being knocked over. Dying in the game drives players to tears, to full on emotional breakdowns. It's scary to watch.

Or, people simply don't care to be harassed/trolled by strangers in social zones. Then again, you and Druk didn't understand that at the Vulcan Memorial, so I don't expect you to understand it now.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't know in what universe this would be a good idea, to pick the major social hub as a PvP zone?

Even the PvP friendliest game in the world, EVE has intentionally created areas with High Security were PvP is at least suicidial, if not hopeless.

Using ESD or Q'Onos as a PVP map, sure... But certainly not in the same context as the social hub versions of the map.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    roadghost wrote: »

This makes me want to strap a couple high-grade nuclear devices to my ship, scream "THIS IS JIHAD!" and ram it in to ESD. Wait no... that would be counter productive. I'd end up releasing all teh ESD trolls on to sector space(not that this isn't happeneing already). But, its not something I'd curse my worst enemy with.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "Admiral Quinn here, congratultions, you have reached level 10, report to my office on ESD for your new pips and a free ship requisition token, ASAP"

"Welcome to Sol, do you wish to dock?"

"Cannot beam to ship while dead"

"NoobKillingA$$hat has acheived 5000 kills, and reached PvP-Leet Rank"

Erm... Just NO, ok? Been tried elsewhere before, always been a total disaster.

Played wow for a while did ya?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • sabouma1979sabouma1979 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My 2 cents: No... simply because I don't want PVP....
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    trennan wrote: »
    Played wow for a while did ya?

Nope, but I did play Freelancer, and remember how most modded servers had to declare the system with the game startup point a safe zone, because high end VHF pilots would park a gunshots length from the docking ring, and slaughter new players as they made their first launch.

Some tried to do this while clocked, became so bad merely mentioning cloaks on the servers forum would usually be an instant thread close, and often a site ban.

All that happened was the Titan-Boyz of Clan Mc NoobKiller relocated to the non safe end of the jumpgates leading from the start up system and demanded millions of creds in 'tax' from new players who didn't have 2 creds to rub together, THAN slaughter them.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>