What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

End The Mmosight Infestation

2»

Comments

• ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    arnthebard wrote: »
    Gee this is a radical concept............

Have a live moderator in zone chat to ban them immediately and to handle trolls.

Oh wait this would make too much sense to actually have a live person we can interact with.

I'd like this idea probably.

Costs money though. Probably not alot of money (one person could probably monitor most social zone chats for stuff like this), but money.

As ESD zone chat is one of the first multi-player aspects that new players see, you would think PWE would invest in ensuring it was a friendly and spam-free environment. Right now, I'd say not so much a good chunk of the time.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    theres this nifty little feature called /ignore.... or if you prefer right click the name then click ignore while you are there you can report too and cryptic generally will lay down a ban

also... they only spam if there is profit in it... so cryptic/pwe is only 1/2 to blame for monetizing the TRIBBLE out of the game... the other half is on the players that spend their money violating the game's ToS and buying from these sites...

well thats fine and dandy if they didnt fill your ignore list after a few days. see we used to get this like mad in the 1st city kdf side. and complained for months about it. jsut seems now that they released the info that kdf is only 16% of the player base you feddy bears are now bearing the brunt of it. not long ago you see all the bots just outside the newbi training room now they are gone . thank goodness you feds are having this problem now. maybe just maybe the devs will do something about it now.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    arnthebard wrote: »
    Gee this is a radical concept............

Have a live moderator in zone chat to ban them immediately and to handle trolls.

Oh wait this would make too much sense to actually have a live person we can interact with.

Report spam will do the chat ban if enough people do it.
    edited February 2015
    askray wrote: »
    So every MMO company must be involved with these places to because it's in every MMO! :rolleyes:

There is no golden way to deal with spammers besides report spam, ignore and go on with your life.

live in game chat moderation would take care of it. 3 min wage employees hell id do it 8 hours a day as a retired person and take zen as payment. there is plenty they could do if they actually wanted too. don't be so naive.

edited February 2015
    icsairguns wrote: »
    live in game chat moderation would take care of it. 3 min wage employees hell id do it 8 hours a day as a retired person and take zen as payment. there is plenty they could do if they actually wanted too. don't be so naive.

No it wouldn't. I used to be a player moderator in a game, there were always a few of us online at any one time and we still couldn't keep up with the spam. We even organised "anti-spam events" where a large number of us would go to the newbies first world area as that is where there were a lot of them, and again we couldn't keep up.

As long as there is money to be made they will always out perform those trying to stop them.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    askray wrote: »
    There is no golden way to deal with spammers besides report spam, ignore and go on with your life.

its laughable if it wasnt already so sad as to how invalid this point it. spammers can get around chat filters, they can just as easily get around ignore lists... and when your ignore list is full of the same spammers, then what? how will you protect yourselves from even more spammers? and what if the original spamers had not been stopped? and you lifted the ignore list on these and they attacked again?

this is why i see the ignore feature as a complete waste of time.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited February 2015
    decronia wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. I used to be a player moderator in a game, there were always a few of us online at any one time and we still couldn't keep up with the spam. We even organised "anti-spam events" where a large number of us would go to the newbies first world area as that is where there were a lot of them, and again we couldn't keep up.

As long as there is money to be made they will always out perform those trying to stop them.

lol you pay the mods 100 zen for spammer they take care of and it will make a difference. piece work is the way to achieve real meaningful numbers. and even if it did not stop 100% of it its better than nothing as it stands now.

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    They are the bane of every MMO I have played. They were even presnet in WAR when it was mothballed and dying. No one has managed to stop them even companies with a lot of money coming in can stop them.

Some of their methods can be quite imaginative, the flying ones in WoW were quite entertaining. THough thst is the only time I saw imagintion used to spam a gold selling website.

They already think there is a text filter in the game given the way they type their "ads". It looks the same way they do it in RS where typing web links results in just a load of stars appearing in chat. If one was added they would just change the way they write it.

I think ma.binogi had the best idea... sell an ingame item real cheap that you can 'gift' to another character you think is a bot... it runs several sessions requiring players to respond... if they dont the bomb goes off and the acct is locked

and in other weirdness what is that game's name censored? lmfao
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    its laughable if it wasnt already so sad as to how invalid this point it. spammers can get around chat filters, they can just as easily get around ignore lists... and when your ignore list is full of the same spammers, then what? how will you protect yourselves from even more spammers? and what if the original spamers had not been stopped? and you lifted the ignore list on these and they attacked again?

this is why i see the ignore feature as a complete waste of time.

It's pretty sad when one can go into the game and see the same spambot that they set to ignore weeks ago still there. It's even more sad that one can recognize them because you still see them so much in the game. Yet they're still there despite being reported weeks ago.

Not surprising at times in First City that you can see more spambots there than actual players.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • captainsucrecaptainsucre Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's pretty sad when one can go into the game and see the same spambot that they set to ignore weeks ago still there. It's even more sad that one can recognize them because you still see them so much in the game. Yet they're still there despite being reported weeks ago.

Not surprising at times in First City that you can see more spambots there than actual players.

It's really sad when you know it's the same person(s) because he didn't remove " /zone" at the beginning of the spam.
    edited February 2015
    I think ma.binogi had the best idea... sell an ingame item real cheap that you can 'gift' to another character you think is a bot... it runs several sessions requiring players to respond... if they dont the bomb goes off and the acct is locked

Yes because it could never be used to troll. Like /ignore and /report spam can't.

Because it is I have no idea why, I use accronyms for games as they aren't censored.
    lol you pay the mods 100 zen for spammer they take care of and it will make a difference. piece work is the way to achieve real meaningful numbers. and even if it did not stop 100% of it its better than nothing as it stands now.

We did it because we cared for the game experience and took our responsibilites seriously with no reward or expectation of any. It was still a losing battle. We have a company that makes a fortune and they can't get rid of it, they have tried repeatedly and still are but they are still there.

I agree something needs to be done and if anyone came up with a way to solve this problem they would be minted as every game would be willing toi pay them for it.

The simple matter of fact is as long as there are people willing to be lazy and cheat there will always be someone willing to either provide that service or take advantage of them to make money for themselves. This means as long as we play the game and it is going they will be there.
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Didn't they try something like this a while back and caught a number of innocent people in it?

I don't hate the spammers, they are a business. The thing with business is that it wouldn't exist without customers. This means there are people who are cheating and buying from them. Your rigghteous anger should be aimed at them. No customers would mean no spammers.

I have seen them go from nonesensical @handles to decent names and @handles. This should show to others using them gets your account compromised and used for spamming. The problem is give some people the ability to cheat and they will use it with the thought of "it won't happen to me".

Wait, what?

Are you defending these dirty gold spamming idiots?

They steal your CC info and email addy for their own nefarious ways.

AFAIK they are grey zone and/or illegal, and should be put out of business the whole lot of them...
  • jdfosterrocksjdfosterrocks Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It is happening again. The mmosight spam in zone is going on. I find it counter productive.

I actually went to their site, and one of the items is Lobi crystal. This item can ONLY be earned from opening lock boxes. Even if you have them, you can not trade them. Once a box is opened, it is IMMEDIATELY account bound.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would assume they are especially difficult to dislodge, hence why they are still around. Probably in every MMO. Ban an account another one pops up to replace it. Ban an IP address and another thousand accounts are made on another machine. Trace it to the source and get the website itself blacklisted and another website offering the same service pops up elsewhere.

I'd guess it's just gotten to the point where the devs have neither the time or money to try and stop the flood. The only solution I can think of, one that many do already, is just turn off zone chat completely and stick to player made or local channels.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    i would of never posted anything on it in public if i were in your position OP. now these gold spamming sites have free advertisement but matter good or bad now on this forum because of this thread. youre doing their job for them far more then they can do.

it wouldnt matter how much you or anyone else hates these sites preying on the weak, however ultimately that ball belongs in cryptics court, not yours.

again responding to an old thread.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I didn't read all the comments. But if this has been said already it's worth repeating.

The only way to get rid of the spammers is for people to stop being stupid and stop buying from them. If the spammers can't make a profit they'll go away for good.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    shinnok918 wrote: »
    is there no fracking peace? DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE IDIOTS. i swear. put MOSight into the chatfilter. problem solved. they disguise the first M but the rest of the string is the same. bleep out OSight as well. nobody every will type those terms in. itll stop the spammers. PLEASE DO SOMETHING AND DONT TELL ME TO IGNORE THEM BECAUSE THAT DOESNT WORK!!!!!! THEY CREATE 100'S OF SPAM ACCOUNTS A DAY!!!!! end the infestation. on ESD, Sirius block, and the First City.

Hold on, people are actually foolish enough to leave local and zone chat open?
    Is that not the very first thing you turn off?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Hah, forgot about Mabi's bot bomb. That was a fun little thing. I seem to recall the bots' scripts could get past it though, and you just froze them for a bit. Then again it's been several years since I stopped playing, is it more than just a captcha now?
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The funny thing here is the people who think spammers are a legitimate business, and/or actually provide what they claim to provide.

They are Chinese scam sites plain and simple. They will happily take your credit card info and promise goods and services, but they will never, ever provide them.

If you think they offer zen or gold or whatever cheap, you're wrong. They offer identity theft and credit card fraud, nothing more. They will happily steal your account and use it to spam.

The sad thing is that the MMO crackdown on this type of thing over the years drove the legitimate people out of business. Corporate greed wanting to control all the $$ created a criminal industry and never provided the services people were so willing to pay for.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It is happening again. The mmosight spam in zone is going on. I find it counter productive.

I actually went to their site, and one of the items is Lobi crystal. This item can ONLY be earned from opening lock boxes. Even if you have them, you can not trade them. Once a box is opened, it is IMMEDIATELY account bound.

You went to their site?!

You know i've heard that it is possible to get infected with keyloggers through ad banners. I've never actually bothered to confirm if that was true or not, but i dont care. When it comes to security with things like gaming, banking, ssn or identity i dont f**k around. The number of game related sites i go to is very very short, and i've never visited a CGF site. Now i may be wrong about the ad banner thing but like i was saying i dont care. I would rather remain ignorant and just stay away from those sites. Now if one of you guys who are computer savvy want to try and convince me that i am wrong go ahead, but i still am not going to listen. With any other subject i'd listen to people and learn, but not with account security (gaming, banking or whatever).

I recommend that you download at least two different antivirus software programs and scan the computer that you used to go to that site. Also maybe think about going to a fresh PC/laptop and accessing your account info and changing your PW. But hey that's just me being super-paranoid.

EDIT: ohh and also as far as the other stuff you said about the Lobi? You have heard of the candy van joke right?