test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where's the war?

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
I've been trying to find this "Iconian War" since Season 10 came out, but so far I've had no luck outside of episodes or queues. I'm seeing stories and lots of propaganda and posters, but no actual war. Sector space patrols have been pretty quiet and are void of Herald activity.

Guys, seriously, where's the fighting at? Anywhere besides Qo'noS being invaded? :confused:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• phreskophresko Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "The War" is actually a metaphor for the internal turmoil you are experiencing right now over the fact that there really is no war. ;)
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Unless it about to really ramp up. This could only be a start. Most of the time you have a battle here and there. Then it really kicks in.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Because not every player has advanced through the story at the same time that you have.

It would not make sense for newly created toons which starts within the STO universe in 2409 to see any traces of the Iconian War since it stats in 2410. In fact, they should be seeing some evidence of the Federation Klingon War. But there isn't any either.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It would be cool if Cryptic had some phasing technology that allowed the level 50+ to see Iconian DSEs flying around Sector Space - and you can enter them just like any other DSE.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It would be cool if Cryptic had some phasing technology that allowed the level 50+ to see Iconian DSEs flying around Sector Space - and you can enter them just like any other DSE.

Agreed , however if the questions from Geko's latest podcast outing are to believed , then they are looking to close up the war and start the "next arc" .

I don't want to prejudge , but so far it's been a numbers war ... -- as in "only a few Iconians exist" and "1/4 of the Fleet assembled to fight the Iconians has been destroyed" .
    Teh war of teh Metrics ! :D

Is that better than what we had with the Klingons ?
    In terms of storytelling perhaps , but in terms of border changes and a feeling of an actual war ... -- well , as everything else with STO , this too is in the eye of the beholder .

Us "vets" have been on the Klingon / Borg front for 5 years .
    Yet we may spend less than a year (perhaps even less then half a year) on the Iconian front .
    Or if you shift to "in-game timeline" , then you've had 2 wars in the space of 1.5 years ... , and my bet is that the next "story arc" will be ... , you guessed it -- conflict driven .

Thus ultimately , my sad conclusion is that the most awesome part of the "Iconian War" were the posters .

... "Buy Ferengi War Bonds ! " ... . Classic ... :)
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Agreed , however if the questions from Geko's latest podcast outing are to believed , then they are looking to close up the war and start the "next arc" .
    Sure, but Season 11 is 5-6 months away.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Sure, but Season 11 is 5-6 months away.

With the number of "episodes in the can" , there may yet be a Season 10.5 on the way .
    It was also mentioned that they want to "deal with the aftermath of the Iconian War" -- so the question is when do they end it , when do they do the "aftermath" , and when do they start the new arc .

... anything is possible ... , and Cryptic may not yet know if there will be any changes from PW going private , so I'm with the "wait and see" 'tude over here ... :)
  • straden0straden0 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In other MMOs they generally advance the plot through zones and or a "phasing" system, for example you enter a city that is beseiged and when you wrap up the quest everything is sunny and rebuilt, those players that had not done certain things can see the "aftermath" while those who haven't cant.

Not sure if that may be possible with this game, but I agree that those encounters and whatnot could be changed to Iconian encounters and red alerts showing various planetary systems and starbases being attacked by them, the ground instances can work as well since they pretty much had events springing up on Nimbus, Defera and the battlezones every so often. Would just be a matter of having them pop up on Andoria, Vulcan, etc.

All in all, it would have been nice, but its likely this was under a microscope to be done at a certain time and these things couldnt be fleshed out. Perhaps with a 10.5 update we'll see more instances that would work, but right now its about stabilizing the important things that broke and the latency issues..

I really do wish that the Devs had more time and resources to commit to this game, it shows when they really get to put the shiner on things and it shows when they dont..

At the end of the day though, I'm loving the Iconians, when they come through gateways the sound effects are epic..
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Phasing would be really good for this. As it would show advancing and progress. This is where other MMOs do and its very nice. However the complaint on those is you can't help others unless they are doing the same thing at the same time.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's in the same place where the Fed-Klingon war used to be. NPC talk.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    Phasing would be really good for this. As it would show advancing and progress. This is where other MMOs do and its very nice. However the complaint on those is you can't help others unless they are doing the same thing at the same time.

I would rather a battleground but that is just my taste. It doesn't seem as big as the voth war.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Actually... not seeing the war in sector space makes perfect sense, because the Herald ships don't fly around at warp. Neither do the Elachi or Solanae. They gate, or drop out of subspace, or do any number of other things that don't require travel from A to B.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Actually... not seeing the war in sector space makes perfect sense, because the Herald ships don't fly around at warp. Neither do the Elachi or Solanae. They gate, or drop out of subspace, or do any number of other things that don't require travel from A to B.

All that tech and what do they do with it? Fight the kdf street by street on qu'nos with staffs
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    I've been trying to find this "Iconian War" since Season 10 came out, but so far I've had no luck outside of episodes or queues. I'm seeing stories and lots of propaganda and posters, but no actual war. Sector space patrols have been pretty quiet and are void of Herald activity.

Guys, seriously, where's the fighting at? Anywhere besides Qo'noS being invaded? :confused:

The Iconians had to take a hiatus on the war. After careful planning they launched their invasion. Though they missed the fact that EC, GPL, and Dilithium run the galaxy. So bare with the lull in the war as the Iconians hit the story arcs, the dabo tables, and farm for dilithium to fund their ongoing war efforts.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited May 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    All that tech and what do they do with it? Fight the kdf street by street on qu'nos with staffs

Can we haz their stuffs ... , errr , staffs ?

... nevermind ... , they won't be as cool anyways ...
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They really should've replaced the Borg RAs with Herald RAs when Season 10 launched.

Back when the Borg RAs were new, it really felt like a large scale invasion, especially if you followed the RA chat channels.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hypl wrote: »

Its a little deflating but I guess you can fall back on DS9 for "justification." There's dominion war episodes, and then there's a lot miscellaneous hijinx going in in between. Most of what we do can probably be considered "getting on with things" while there's the odd battle on the frontlines.

Its a part of our game now, but its not the only part. That said, for being the single conflict the ENTIRE game has been leading up to the classic 3 PVE's plus episodes maybe isn't the best presentation (this should be a special time).

The least they could have done (with no effort required whatsoever) would have been to occasionally spawn the odd herald in an random sector encounter. There's your "war on an every-day basis" right there, especially if for the duration of season 10 herald encounters were the only ones offered.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Its a little deflating but I guess you can fall back on DS9 for "justification." There's dominion war episodes, and then there's a lot miscellaneous hijinx going in in between. Most of what we do can probably be considered "getting on with things" while there's the odd battle on the frontlines.

Its a part of our game now, but its not the only part. That said, for being the single conflict the ENTIRE game has been leading up to the classic 3 PVE's plus episodes maybe isn't the best presentation (this should be a special time).

The least they could have done (with no effort required whatsoever) would have been to occasionally spawn the odd herald in an random sector encounter. There's your "war on an every-day basis" right there, especially if for the duration of season 10 herald encounters were the only ones offered.

While DS9 didn't outright show the Dominion War in every episode, you can still see the atmosphere of the station is on a war footing. Honestly, this season was very lackluster.
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Both the two previous seasons and even the start of Delta Rising did a much better job selling the idea that there was this big conflict going on with the adversary of that respective season.

Outside of the new episodes and STFs, it's like the big war that they've been hyping for years now, and continue to hype, might as well not exist.

Here's hoping that they have plans to flesh out the Iconian war a bit more outside of just future feature episodes, and they simply ran out of time to get it all implemented by Season 10....
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sheesh only the first 2 episodes are out.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, honestly, I'm not getting a massive 'Reapers' vibe here; aka, not feeling there's a Mother of all Wars going on for our very existence. Which is kinda what I had hoped for.

But, yeah, the Heralds appear very weak, even in Advanced (up to the point where you can just ignore them altogether, save for the desire to shoot at them anyway :D). And the ground (!), hand-to-hand combat, invasion of Qu'nos doesn't feel fitting for a superior race that could easily deploy planet killers and the like to wipe us all out.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    LOL, we're talking about Cryptic here. They failed to deliver on the Federation-Klingon War, failed to deliver on the war with the Voth, failed to deliver on the war with the Tholians, failed... Do I need to go on?

The Federation-Klingon War depiction is the big travesty though and failure to expand and deliver on that had always been an embarrassing thing for STO, IMO.

With all this in mind, it does not surprise me that this Iconian War is also a failure. Not to mention that the Iconian War is a S10 only deal and won't bleed over into future seasons. So yes, this small brush fire will burn itself out with no satisfaction just like every other conflict did.

Starbase 234 is still there. New Romulus is as good as new.

There isn't any war going on.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just mentally replace the word 'war' with 'cull' and everything makes far more sense.

We're the bad guys in this tale and up to now the Iconians along with all the other races have been chucking everything they have to stop our immense expansion. Hell we've even learned from The Borg, every new season brings new technology adapted from our victi....um, enemies...so we can carry on being the most powerful and lethal empires in the galaxy.

See? Truth man.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Just mentally replace the word 'war' with 'cull' and everything makes far more sense.

We're the bad guys in this tale and up to now the Iconians along with all the other races have been chucking everything they have to stop our immense expansion. Hell we've even learned from The Borg, every new season brings new technology adapted from our victi....um, enemies...so we can carry on being the most powerful and lethal empires in the galaxy.

See? Truth man.

We should thank the Iconians for showing us another galaxy to conquer. Soon we'll become the most powerful and lethal empires in the whole universe. :cool:

Waiting for Season 11: Andromeda. :D
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Phasing would be great and could improve the feel of consistency significantly. But the way it is now you probably will not ever get the feeling of some sort of meta event going on while you do your errands.

Take the Fed-Klingon war for example, that's the main story when you create a new character. Even at this point you can enter "enemy" space uncontested, there are no borders, no frontlines - the episodes are really disconnected from the metagame.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • cadonycadony Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is why I am advocating Herald red alerts every day until cryptic responds.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's all about the new players. They cannot confuse them like that. Especially when the New Player thinks they are going to fight against a huge Borg invasion in the tutorial but lead to a bunch of self-contained episodes with the Undine thrown in the air from no where and the Klingons being more covert then a full war against the Feds. By the middle of the Klingon Arc, we are actually fighting with the Klingons against a rogue Klingon faction.