test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Foundry Roundtable Episode 97: Full-Sized Starship Mine

drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
Welcome to the Foundry Roundtable, a weekly podcast dedicated to Foundry missions, mission building and other UGC issues starring Foundry authors Drogyn1701, Markhawkman and Greendragoon, with special guest, Primar13.

Watch on YouTube

Listen on Soundcloud

Direct Download at StarbaseUGC

Subscribe on iTunes

-- FOUNDRY NEWS

New Station, Ground ships, and the new ESD map on Tribble
StarbaseUGC authors send the developers the Top 3 Pies as thanks

-- REVIEW

U.S.S. Intrepid Rescue by Durango4

-- DISCUSSION

How could the Foundry be included in the Delta Recruit event
Writing storylines that tie into the Delta Recruits.

-- INFO

After doing research, there isn't a direct alt code for the Δ symbol. However, it is supported by the STO typeface. You can copy/paste the symbol into the editor from here or the Windows Character Map application.

We livestream on Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable with episodes launching the following Monday.

If you have a topic you'd like to see us cover, have a mission you want promoted, or would like to be a guest-host, e*mail us at FoundryRoundtable@live.com or follow us on Twitter: @FoundryRoundtab
The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Post edited by drogyn1701 on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/art/BorgLCARS2-527237074

I forgot to mention this earlier but I noticed an interesting change in Sleepers when I ran it this week.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2015
    To let everyone know, we won't be having a show this week. Dragoon has been sucked into the black hole known as Real Life, and unlike myself, he is not expendable.

Tentatively, we will have one show during this downtime, probably do a live-play of the new featured episodes or something along those lines, and then once the Foundry is back up, we will have our 100th Episode!
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    To let everyone know, we won't be having a show this week. Dragoon has been sucked into the black hole known as Real Life, and unlike myself, he is not expendable.

Tentatively, we will have one show during this downtime, probably do a live-play of the new featured episodes or something along those lines, and then once the Foundry is back up, we will have our 100th Episode!

Drogyn has been abducted by the crazy Iconian ladies. :mad:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • durango4durango4 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    First I would like to thank you for reviewing my Foundry misson on your radio show. I appreciate it. And yes it was my first attempt at creating a Foundry mission. I have gained some experiance and has since revised the mission as well as created some others.

You used the term sky castle. I'm assuming that mean when you create your own ship interior. Well I've finally learned how to do that. So you're right, there was too many maps on the orginal mission. Using the sky castle I've been able to reduce a number of the maps down to one.

Spawning in turbolifts was a problem. But I still liked the effect. So I CREATED my own turbolifts by just placing some wall segments around a door. It's a square turbolift instead of round but characters don't get stuck anymore.

Star Trek Online in my opinion has way too much war. While I know that you need conflict to make the game entertaining but Star Trek is about seeking new life and new civilizations. And I feel that cryptic has gotten so far away from that. Gene Roddennbarry would be rolling in his grave if he saw what they are doing to it. Iconian war? Come on. That's just my opinon though. So I try to make my Foundry missions away from the generic conflicts of the game.

I made one called "Q-trip." Involving Q and making first contact with a new alien race.

I almost made one called "Crows Nest." Another rescue mission involving the crash landing of a saucer section.

And I'm working on another one continuing the Tal Shiar and Borg technology storyline. It's actually about the orgins of the Borg. I figure that if biology can reproduce and technology needs an inventor. So who invented the Borg? Where did they come from.

I have a number of questions though? Do you know how to make a ship go to Red Alert in the Foundry missions? Is there an effect or prop that I'm missing?

And is there away to fix the lighting in the sky castles. While I've learned how to make my own ship settings. In my opinion it's way too dark. Is there away to make more light?
  • borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    durango4 wrote: »
    I have a number of questions though? Do you know how to make a ship go to Red Alert in the Foundry missions? Is there an effect or prop that I'm missing?

Nope. Only by entering combat. Red alert is a game mechanic in STO, not an effect.
    And is there away to fix the lighting in the sky castles. While I've learned how to make my own ship settings. In my opinion it's way too dark. Is there away to make more light?

Yup. There's a relatively new asset called lighting effect or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for reviewing my mission as well, I'm sorry it took so long for me to do yours in exchange. You did indeed interpret the term sky castle correctly. I'm very impressed you attempted one on your first mission. I didn't make one until my third :D

As to your questions, do you mean making a ship go to red alert in an interior map or a space map? In a space map that's not something we can trigger. In an interior map there are some blinking red lights we can place. As soon as the foundry is back up i'll look and see what the actual asset names are.

There are a couple ways to fix the lighting in sky castles. The easiest is to change the backdrops. If you don't have anything selected on the map, you should see below the map window a place where you can change the backdrop. Try a daytime one (if your sky castle was built on an exterior map), or if it was interior, try Science 01.

The other option is to use the Omni Lights, which dragoon told us all about in this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnm-vT1T8GY
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited May 2015

You'll need to change the backdrop to one with better ambient lighting. Are you building on a ground map, or in the black space of an interior map?
    edited May 2015
    Ground map with a space back drop. I've made other sky castles that is closer to the ground with other back drops but what about windows? Isn't the point of making a sky castle is so that there is no view of the surface?

Do we know when the Foundry is going to be back up by the way?
    edited May 2015
    You can build what we call a "sky castle" in either indoor or outdoor and there are some advantages and disadvantages to doing it either way. I've done lots of both, whether I needed a view or not.

Missions started re-appearing today, I strongly suggest everyone give theirs a playthrough, see if anything got busted. If all goes smoothly we might get the editor back on next week.
    edited May 2015
    There are some maps, the Defiant maps in particular, where there are two segments that are not connected to each other. Now in the STO missions you would go to a turbolift and it would move you to that part of the map. How do you set that up in the Foundry mission maps?
    edited May 2015
    Unfortunately this is something we can't do right now without making them into two separate maps on your story tab.

The Neverwinter Foundry has objects that allow you to teleport between two locations on a map. It's something we've asked for for a long time, but no luck so far.
    edited May 2015
    Any idea when the Foundry will be back up?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Soon(tm)

yeah really, that's all we know. Usually when republish finishes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Right now, actually. Editor is back up.
    edited May 2015
    Cryptic has provided some life sized scale models of some Federation Starships. Well I tried something different. I tried to build a sky castle INSIDE the model. The Foundry mission is called “Sky Castle Test.” There’s no story, just a walk through.

Where some of you may or may have played my Foundry mission “USS Intrepid Rescue,” the second scene in that mission takes place in the Intrepid shuttle bay. So I created my sky castle as if you’re in the USS Intrepid shuttle bay INSIDE the Intrepid class model. If you look out the window you can literally see the Intrepid’s nacelle sitting out there. I also put a Sovereign class ship next to it. If you look out the windows on the other side you can see that as if it’s flying next to you.

The great thing about using this technique is that the player can not leave the boundaries of the model. So if you want to build a sky castle according to the contours of a saucer section, the saucer section of a Galaxy class for example. You can by using the ground scale model as a template your sky castle will literally be the shape of the galaxy class saucer section.

Check it out, “Sky Castle Test” in the Foundry and tell me what you think.