test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Feedback] Mission: What Lies Beneath

dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Federation Discussion
What Lies Beneath is the most fun I've had in an MMO in a long time! Thank you for this!! We need more missions like this!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ditto. I would love to see more horror-style missions in the game, especially with people like the Borg and the Elachi running about. There's a lot of potential in the Star Trek universe.

"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I actually hated it the very first time I played it years ago and tried rushing through it as fast as possible because it scared the bejeezus out of me. (Especially when the multitude of Devidians flash onscreen for a few seconds.) I just played it a few days ago and it's now my most favorite mission, lol.

Was it updated, too? I don't remember having a flashlight the first time and recall stumbling around in complete darkness the entire time.
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    minababe wrote: »
    I actually hated it the very first time I played it years ago and tried rushing through it as fast as possible because it scared the bejeezus out of me. (Especially when the multitude of Devidians flash onscreen for a few seconds.) I just played it a few days ago and it's now my most favorite mission, lol.

Was it updated, too? I don't remember having a flashlight the first time and recall stumbling around in complete darkness the entire time.

I think it was slightly changed quite a while ago. The flashlight has always been there but the I'm pretty sure the map as a whole was a lot darker, so you really couldn't see **** without it.

This episode beats the living daylight out the the friday the 13th/halloween mission we get each year, just saying....
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Bonnie-kin
    Bonnie-kin
    Dressed all in red
    w8xekp.jpg
  • morden613morden613 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Bonnie-kin
    Bonnie-kin
    Soon you'll be dead.

**And the flashlight option doesn't work for everyone.
    Roms can't even use access that location.
    (A very very old bug)
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    morden613 wrote: »
    Bonnie-kin
    Bonnie-kin
    Soon you'll be dead.

**And the flashlight option doesn't work for everyone.
    Roms can't even use access that location.
    (A very very old bug)

I think the flashlight is actually setup to fail as there are in game messages that it just failed. Just to keep the ambience going and you have to sit there turning it on and off again till it works.

Also, play it late at night so it is dead quiet out and turn all the lights out where you live. :)

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And don't forget the webs and spiders!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It had been a while since I last played it. Gotta say, even after a couple years, I still find the Bonnie-Kin lines unnerving/disturbing (in a good way for the story.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think it was slightly changed quite a while ago. The flashlight has always been there but the I'm pretty sure the map as a whole was a lot darker, so you really couldn't see **** without it.

Thanks. I remember having to turn up the brightness settings on my monitor just to complete it. I didn't have that problem this time around, although that didn't make the mission any less spookier. :eek:
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is actually no need to change your monitor brightness or anything, use the /unlit command. like /unlit 9 to totally rip away the veil of darkness and /unlit 0 to reset back to default. Perfect night vision command!
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've always hated that mission because of the way the darkness is. Ill try the lighting commands... THANKS!!!
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • chakittychakitty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    feiqa wrote: »
    I think the flashlight is actually setup to fail as there are in game messages that it just failed. Just to keep the ambience going and you have to sit there turning it on and off again till it works.

Also, play it late at night so it is dead quiet out and turn all the lights out where you live. :)

Just don't play it like that if you have someone in the house that's sadistic enough to sneak up on you and grab you with a yell or something right after the "soon you'll be dead" line. Makes me want to do that to my lifemate, she'd jump and shriek so loud and everything, it'd be totally awesome!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    chakitty wrote: »
    Just don't play it like that if you have someone in the house that's sadistic enough to sneak up on you and grab you with a yell or something right after the "soon you'll be dead" line. Makes me want to do that to my lifemate, she'd jump and shriek so loud and everything, it'd be totally awesome!

That just evil yet so funny at the same time, just leg it out of the room as fast as possible afterwards :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • chakittychakitty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      That just evil yet so funny at the same time, just leg it out of the room as fast as possible afterwards :D

I wouldn't be able to leave the room due to laughing too hard. I'm not worried though, my lifemate would have to actually use something like a knife or a club or whatever to actually hurt me. And to top it off, she'd be laughing herself stupid after a minute or two as well. That's just the kind of relationship we have.:rolleyes:
    • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Played this on my DR again and yeah, still just as ambient and creepy as it was the first time I played it. But maybe it's just me and my memory playing tricks on me, but they redid the bonnie-kin lines didn't they? I swear they sound different than they used to...
      edited April 2015
      ssargon wrote: »
      Played this on my DR again and yeah, still just as ambient and creepy as it was the first time I played it. But maybe it's just me and my memory playing tricks on me, but they redid the bonnie-kin lines didn't they? I swear they sound different than they used to...

This is another one of those things I think they did anticipating people coming and playing this over and over. The bonnie-kin lines are word for word the same. But sometimes he uses a low growl and sometimes a high pitched cackle to deliver them. I think they liked all of the voice acting for it so they put it in a randomizer so you don't know what one you will get.

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      The funny thing about the mission is, that its far more creepy than the stupid halloween/friday the 13th-mission (hearts and minds) is. On those days they should simply make a special event out of "what lies beneath".
    • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      This mission does have content removed. I remember a part where part of the ceiling/upper deckplate falls down right in front of you, its gone. They did redo the voice track, but might have been by changing via some modulator program. The hologram character has also been freshened up as well.
      edited April 2015
      woodwhity wrote: »
      The funny thing about the mission is, that its far more creepy than the stupid halloween/friday the 13th-mission (hearts and minds) is. On those days they should simply make a special event out of "what lies beneath".

I remember when they released this mission on that years Halloween, it was probably the best ground scenario at the time. If they made all of the ground as good as this, it would havereally rocked.
      edited April 2015
      This mission does have content removed. I remember a part where part of the ceiling/upper deckplate falls down right in front of you, its gone. They did redo the voice track, but might have been by changing via some modulator program. The hologram character has also been freshened up as well.

Actually that is still there in the beginning. If you are not an engineer you can't open the direct door toward the back and have to go around to the right. The ceiling drop is there.

• sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      This is another one of those things I think they did anticipating people coming and playing this over and over. The bonnie-kin lines are word for word the same. But sometimes he uses a low growl and sometimes a high pitched cackle to deliver them. I think they liked all of the voice acting for it so they put it in a randomizer so you don't know what one you will get.

They changed the cadence of the line deliveries. I don't like it anywhere near as much as the original.

They changed the voice-overs on a number of missions. Can't think of any of them that I like better now over the original.
    • kaptain90kaptain90 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      minababe wrote: »

the flashlight didn't help much as it's extremely weak. i love the game but this was my least favorite mission due to the lack of light and the Devidians being really creepy
    • aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      I like the mission too, it's very memorable.. but boy, those levels down below are annoying to go through, trying to find some computer core.

I know the way, but it's just the feeling of 'Ugh', just like 'Everything is New' and the 'Night of the Comet' part where you need to get some Nerve Tonic.. (such annoying padding)

The entire Drozana Station stuff feels kind of long-winded, but fun in spurts. (Yes, the stupid console reparation for the Ferengi bit... and the going to one station and back, KDF has it easier than FED with that one)

(I had to play that mission twice once, it didn't finish due to a bug - twice -- got to try it again)
      giphy.gif
    • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
      edited May 2015
      It's a good mission and far more suitable as a Halloween Event than the Hearts and Minds one that I don't find spooky in the least, though I will give props for the dev that apparently made the mission on her own time. I did have a bug in Beneath a few times where one of my Boffs would just stop at one of the stairs and I would have to make the others wait and go back to "guide" the straggler back to the rest, but other than that it's a very enjoyable mission.
      If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
      Oh Hell NO to ARC
    • cyllus2014cyllus2014 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
      edited May 2015
      I remember when they released this mission on that years Halloween, it was probably the best ground scenario at the time. If they made all of the ground as good as this, it would havereally rocked.

One of the best, if not the best, ground missions in the game, imo. Liked the atmosphere, liked the writing, liked the story.

Got a bit creeped out when I read this though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

The antagonist is named Gein, in case you missed it.
      edited May 2015
      Actually that is still there in the beginning. If you are not an engineer you can't open the direct door toward the back and have to go around to the right. The ceiling drop is there.

Well, its good to hear that they kept it. I tried to walk aroun, like in he old days, but it didnt work for me ;(
    • joacobanfieldjoacobanfield Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      The first time I played it, Gein jumpscared me...I literally jumped. I was not expecting it, especially since my flashlight did not work. At all. But then I did it with someone else, and that little critter with the joker-gollum voice did not jumpscare me (too much)
    • martinihenriemartinihenrie Member Posts: 28 Arc User
      Yup, have to agree. Of all the ground missions I did for my Deltas this was the one I looked forwards too most.