test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Testing ships

aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
On the older version of tribble you could test ships. I've found on Drozana where you can use the test console for items, ground and space. However, where is the console to test different ships? Was this removed?
Post edited by aeonjean on

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,969 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ship testing hasn't been a general thing for as long as I've been following the game (2nd Anniversary event). In short, because ships are the major source of revenue for STO cryptic probably doesn't want to do anything that might hurt ship sales. A test drive for example might confirm that, hey, you really do want this ship but it could just as well lead you not to bother. Its a risk, and one that pays certain dividends when it comes to testing content (ex. new space specialization skills) but those don't justify pontentially undermining what keeps the game afloat.

If STO was back on the subscription model or retail-price-tag, then yes ship testing would make sense (given that we have all that other stuff) but as it is, its not terribly appropriate.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't know. It's in Cryptic's best intrest that any ZEN spent is enjoyed to the fullest. I've got a few purchases I ended up regretting. Testing them before buying would have meant I'd still spent the ZEN, but on something enjoyable.
  • Options
    koigi#5311 koigi Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree, they call tribble a "test server" but the only thing you can test out are the new reputation system stuff. If i heard "test server" then I would at least expect that the ships would be free (zen ships and lobi), so yeah, i hope that laughingtrendy and/or pwecaptainsmirk read this so they can make the ships available for tribble users only. and if they want to prevent users transferring free ships that normally cost zen, just make it character boud or if the player retrieve's a ship it would be claimed instantly (so you won't get it in a box like the odyssey cruiser and the command ships). then they still need to buy it on holodeck.

P.s. sorry for my bad english (I'm dutch soow..... yeah)
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is a difference between trying and testing. Many people are interested in trying...not testing. Cryptic does have players that are testing.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    There is a difference between trying and testing. Many people are interested in trying...not testing. Cryptic does have players that are testing.

how do you become a tester or how can you help them with testing some of those ships?
    they should make it free for everyone so everyone can help them improve those ships instead of spending a sh*t load of money on a sh*tty ship and be angry to them. if they make all ships available on tribble, nobody would be angry because they already know if they have chosen a good ship or a bad one.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gabber4000 wrote: »
    how do you become a tester or how can you help them with testing some of those ships?

In the past (I haven't tested since the Mogh), it was based on the type of feedback one left. Not whether it was positive or negative, but whether it was constructive - detailed - etc...if one posted like a tester, one had a chance of being invited to be a tester.

Folks that have hit up Tribble to test other things, providing detailed feedback about what they're experiencing. Folks that report bugs, both advantageous and disadvantageous. Folks that understand there is going to be powercreep and the business need for that, but that still have an eye out for various outliers that upset the precarious balance.

Basically, a tester would get an invite because they were already testing things.

Folks looking to try things...folks that just ranted and complained about things...and all the countless other stuff like that, well...they wouldn't.

While it couldn't possibly be completely a selfless act, it wasn't a try before you buy program in the least. Folks still had their agendas, they wanted things the way they wanted them - so folks could end up arguing, the same TOS applied there as it did anywhere else though, lol...and that area of the forums was moderated like anywhere else. But the folks were still tackling it as testers...folks that demonstrated that's not really what they were doing there might not invited back for the next test.

Something to keep in mind would also be the testing of ships that might have little interest to the player...the ship not being their thing, so to speak...and the ability to still test it and offer feedback. Cause otherwise, it kind of gets into the try instead of test thing...more of a personal agenda.

With there being KDF, Fed, and Rom ships - it could also get into having the toons available to test the various ships - though in some cases, having KDF toons could be advantageous cause there just weren't that many KDF players - but of course, as you likely noticed...ships have become more and more copypasta over the years - makes the testing process a bit easier there as one can extrapolate the minor differences.

Ships are a key part of the Cryptic revenue stream...they take the testing very seriously...it is NDA'd out the wahzoo.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    well... the only thing i hope that they make available on tribble is the new voyager package (the package you get when you buy the voyager bundle) so i can test that out before i buy it because some people say the bridge is sh*t and the ship too and some people say that they love it... so i hope they put that on the drozana... that is actually my only wish.
  • Options
    gumpy24gumpy24 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If anything why not activate the C-Store for the sole idea of us being able to requisition the ships and extras we have already bought on the live server but keep un-bought items hidden? This would make testing much more comfortable, less restrictive and because theyve already the money from such perchases; It'd be a win-win for everyone.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    gumpy24 wrote: »
    If anything why not activate the C-Store for the sole idea of us being able to requisition the ships and extras we have already bought on the live server but keep un-bought items hidden? This would make testing much more comfortable, less restrictive and because theyve already the money from such perchases; It'd be a win-win for everyone.

if you need to buy the ship first before trying them out on tribble is (in my opinion) not testing out.
    you already bought the ship without knowing if the ship is good and if you even like it.
    I want to buy several ships but i first need to know if the hull strenght, speed and firepower is.
    and if you already bought it and you actually don't even like it, then you just wasted +/-55 dollar's on a sh***y ship
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    well... the only thing i hope that they make available on tribble is the new voyager package (the package you get when you buy the voyager bundle) so i can test that out before i buy it because some people say the bridge is sh*t and the ship too and some people say that they love it... so i hope they put that on the drozana... that is actually my only wish.
    if you need to buy the ship first before trying them out on tribble is (in my opinion) not testing out.
    you already bought the ship without knowing if the ship is good and if you even like it.
    I want to buy several ships but i first need to know if the hull strenght, speed and firepower is.
    and if you already bought it and you actually don't even like it, then you just wasted +/-55 dollar's on a sh***y ship

I know what you mean but what im saying is that i think they should allow you to access any ships youve bought on the CStore post-copying your character to tribble purely for the fact that people would want to be flying all of the ships that have access to considering we do pay real money for such content.

Also considering that Tribble is a test server for content they would like us to test and report back to them about... itd make sense to be allowed to use the paid-for content to help aid us.
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From this thread, it appears that there is some confusion on the purpose of Tribble.

Tribble is a test server, but is not a server for people to test before purchases. It's purpose is to test content and report on bugs, to help Cryptic test new content, before releasing it on Holodeck.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    From this thread, it appears that there is some confusion on the purpose of Tribble.

Tribble is a test server, but is not a server for people to test before purchases. It's purpose is to test content and report on bugs, to help Cryptic test new content, before releasing it on Holodeck.

This post is confused in what im actually trying to convey. i mearly just suggested that if we have Cstore ships already bought on our accounts. we should be able to have access to those ships [we have bought] in the cstore, nothing about ones that would be for sale still.
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    B
    Tribble is a test server, but is not a server for people to test before tpurchases. It's purpose is to test content and report on bugs, to help Cryptic test new content, before releasing it on Holodeck.

I agree BUT Cryptic has shown they will or have thrown content on Holodeck without Tribble testing. Pretty much making Holodeck the Tribble at the player expense of time and money.