test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do Some Think DPS = Answer to Everything?

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure why I am supposed to be impressed by uber-DPS in ISA. That STF is anicent - it's been around forever. Uber DPS or not, the majority of us here, on the forums, can do it with our eyes closed. Okay, the DPS obsessives do it faster - but honestly - so what?

As has already been said, the uber-DPS crowd should try coming back with some numbers from Elite content, not waving their epeens about getting mega-DPS figures in tired, old, content on Advanced.

Hrmm, I'm not sure you're agreeing with me...cause I'm not bashing the "Wizards" with what I'm saying there. What they're doing and able to do, regardless of how easy the content might be - is still a challenge to do - if it weren't, then everybody would be doing it.

The folks I was bashing there would be more of the middle-crowd or even lower end of the spectrum. I remember an ISA run where two guys were going off on one guy...the two guys were going off like you'd think they were something special. They were somewhere in the 10-14k range...and...it was just a laughable /facepalm to be brutally honest.

Think most of the folks that are trolling the lower DPS spectrum are folks in the 10-30k range...bashing anybody under 10k. It's just a /facepalm situation...cause what they're doing isn't really that special in the scope of things. But they get the lower DPS folks all riled up, folks go after higher DPS folks - including the "Wizards" - they in turn get frustrated eventually...and well, it's a combination of meh and entertainment at the same time as whatever thread it is goes down the drain.

I'm not a fan of those middle-crowd folks that are fluffing out their epeens over folks that are meeting content requiremetns but not meeting their personal requirements...and...they're generally trying to push their requirements on everybody. I just don't get that vibe from the actual higher DPS players.

At the same time though, it's irritating to have folks show up woefully unprepared for content. Folks showing up doing 500-2k DPS for an Advanced...? Er...what? Yeah, not a fan of that.

I've gotten into arguments with folks about why I think somebody doing 4k but trying is okay...sure, it requires more from the rest of the team - but if they're there in the fights, if they're tossing some CC, if they're trying to heal, tank, whatever - if they're trying...then they're just likely somebody that might need some pointers and minor tweaks to get them up to the minimum requirements for the content and then they're good to go.

I see one of the "Wizards" drop out a video...I don't see it as a massive ego thing on their part and I don't have some fragile ego to get upset by it. They play better than I do...they did something cool...simple as that.
    Yes - my FT5-U Rhode Island (still my first ship of choice) is using both Subspace Vortex II and Destabilizing Resonance Beam III. They're pretty nice - especially when used together - but as I've already said, and as evidenced by many of the posts in this thread, but will never be a substitue for energy weapon based DPS.

Saying that, I should make it clear that I am not basing my comments on my performance in ISA; I have absolutely ZERO interest worshiping at the shrine of ISA.

It's more of a target dummy, imho. It's the most straightforward content in the game to allow for the target dummy sort of thing. Many of folks using it know that it's not really much beyond that. What one does there isn't necessarily going to apply elsewhere - but it does provide that basic target dummy which can be used to test basic understanding of things that can be applied elsewhere.
  • laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Exactly … I am too busy right now to explore that potential but I have just a couple of ideas : a good ol' Vesta t5u , 5 exciters , 3pc delta : isokinetic cannon, Presidio trait, tractor beam repulsors with Graga Mal , destabilizing resonance beam, grav well for crowd control (… and some damage ) , perhaps also the Fermion console …

lol, you just spoiled my ship, minus the gravity well that doesn't mix very well with reverse TBR.

5 exciters... maybe you meant particle gens?

EWP with Reverse TBR, target goes in the cloud, start Sensor Analysis, Point to it, drop a subnuke and sensor scan, Deflector Phaser + Destabilizing Beam. :cool:
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And therein lies the point. Okay, the instance I was in, described in my OP, involved me using my FT6 Galaxy. However, I use my Sci character in a Sci ship (usually T5-U Nova, sometimes FT6 Intrepid) FAR more frequently.

And genuine question here, as I've never been particularly clear on the matter: Do healing/Crowd Control/Debuffs contribute toward DPS? Because I spend the vast majority of my time doing those, and I do them pretty well; but if they don't contribute toward DPS I probably do look pretty pathetic.

If you have been watching ISA record runs, you will see Recluse nannies. Except that these Support ships will also deal DPS above the median range of the DPS table. Things like position, buff timing, team coordination comes to play which will increase DPS.

Without these support ships, an FPER will have a hard time dealing that Nadeon Bomb.

The same relying with the healing. With a support ship, the scimitar can take out the valdore console to squeeze more DPS consoles and take out the 2 pc borg for a 2pc nukara.
    MMO without Holy Trinity=mindless dps drones.

DPS is directly proportional to a players skill. The trinity exists in the game. Except only a few players actually know how to fly them right or create those builds correctly.

There are no tanking channels nor support ship channels to share that knowledge. So you have to rely on the DPS channel and get to 50k-75k channel to know who those players are including other weapon builds, like DHCs and Torp builds.
    I am so far behind them that it's laughable; but that's not my point; my point is that it's pretty much always the same old thing - ISA done fast. Yes, they do occasionally post/make videos about doing other content, but it does always seem to come back to that tired old STF that everyone obsesses over. I mean, I suck - but I can still complete ISA, usually without exploding, in a reasonable length of time in a PuG.

I'm sorry - but the way I see it, this is like a F2 race car driver coming in first repeatedly, for several years, but being unwilling to show what they could do in a formula one car.

ISA is done as beginner STF as the basis of whether or not you are ready for the next level. If you cant survive, deal dps, coordinate your team vs mobs with just 1 tac cube in advance difficulty, how much more with multiple tac cubes, the queen, etc in elite difficulty.

Usually, I dont create nor invite Elite missions in lower channels. Even the recently completed video of GtGE with 7 secs before failure is a full 75k+ channel team.
    edited April 2015
    And genuine question here, as I've never been particularly clear on the matter: Do healing/Crowd Control/Debuffs contribute toward DPS? Because I spend the vast majority of my time doing those, and I do them pretty well; but if they don't contribute toward DPS I probably do look pretty pathetic.

If people cannot provide enough healing for themselves with the damage they're taking, then additional outside healing (if sufficient) can keep them alive to put out damage. A dead player is putting out 0 DPS. But just because somebody is healing does not mean they are not going to be doing DPS as well. It gets into a balancing act, because the same goes for the NPCs - if they're dead, they're not doing damage, and then less healing is required. If the healing is not needed though, either folks have it covered themselves or there are multiple healers - then it loses value.

Crowd control can mean a few things, but a common one would be various means of the "clump" for doing the "clump 'n thump" - in which targets are placed in a situation where DPS can more effectively be brought to bear upon them; and there are a variety of ways of doing that. Somebody doing some R-TBR while pulling targets into a GW so others can unload their FAW DBBs/ODs on them...could be considered as helping out with the DPS...basically tackling the targets so to speak. There will also be those using various abilities with some sort of AoE splash damage, where if the targets are "clumped" then more targets will take damage from those attacks that do damage in an AoE situation. But just like healing, and even moreso than healing, there's still going to be outgoing damage involved. But with some of that "clump 'n thump" you're also going to be getting into the breach damage which will frag targets faster which in of itself will mean less time spent and thus higher DPS. Course, if everybody's sporting all sorts of crowd control stuff - folks can end up tripping over each other and value will be lost.

Debuffs like crowd control can mean different things, but a common one would get into damage resistance or shield damage reduction debuffs - softening the target up. Right off the back that's going to depend on the group - cause although -DRR debuffs aren't subject to the same levels of diminishing returns as damage resistance sees, it will still reach a certain point. That's going to get into the groups one is running with as far as the value that will provide - also gets into how the debuffs are applied and how often. There could also be drains and the like, which depends heavily on the mobs themselves. But again, one isn't simply going to be dropping debuffs without doing other things, eh?

It's - well, imho - a lot easier to take those various things into account if somebody were doing a premade run, cause the team could build the team around it all. With a public pug run, that random group, things that might have had more value can be devalued going off of that simple supply/demand thing folks talk about with other things...it's going to affect queues as well.

But as far as doing non-DPS stuff and still doing DPS I posted this in another thread earlier in the month...
    Okay, so I was a bit rusty but I decided to hit an ISA in my T5U D'Kyr (still no Fleet version, meh) in a public queue pug run.

Here's the build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=kdyrdkyr_5343

DPS (%)

Player A) 47,518 (49.956%)
    Player Me) 15,182 (16.047%)
    Player C) 13,261 (13.83%)
    Player D) 9,756 (10.12%)
    Player E) 9,899 (10.046%)

Attacks In %

Player A) 11.824%
    Player Me) 42.986%
    Player C) 24.399%
    Player D) 7.214%
    Player E) 13.577%

Damage In (%) / BaseDamage In (%)

Player A) 92,039 (5.526%) / 248,982 (4.574%)
    Player Me) 718,346 (43.126%) / 2,539,644 (46.656%)
    Player C) 341,161 (20.482%) / 1,313,601 (24.132%)
    Player D) 116,757 (7.01%) / 320,672 (5.891%)
    Player E) 397,388 (23.857%) / 1,020,421 (18.746%)

Heal Out (%) / Heal In (%)

Player A) 60,069 (3.16%) / 74,660 (3.94%)
    Player Me) 957,816 (50.38%) / 779,234 (41.121%)
    Player C) 476,934 (25.086%) / 568,727 (30.012%)
    Player D) 90,276 (4.748%) / 169,991 (8.971%)
    Player E) 316,077 (16.625%) / 302,386 (15.957%)

No doubt Player A doing the damage they did made it easier for the rest of the group - dead stuff doesn't shoot back. Notice how few hits Player A took though, eh? They were in a Sheshar, there were three other cruisers, and my D'Kyr.

Heh, Player E almost broke 10k with a mega rainbow build - Neutronic Torp, Kinetic Cutting Beam, Antiproton Array, Nukara Hyper Tetryon DBB, Nukara Web Mine, Romulan Plasma Array (probably Experimental), Experimental Proton Weapon, Gravimetric Photon Torp...hrmm, as an Eng at that. Not sure which Odyssey they were flying.

Hrmm, so that group...

Player A) Sheshar
    Player Me) D'Kyr
    Player C) T6 Galaxy (don't know if it was Fleet)
    Player D) T6 Galaxy (don't know if it was Fleet)
    Player E) Odyssey variant

Hrmm, but anyway...somewhere between the overly defensive build I had there and something like the following...
    fatman592 wrote: »

...I'm sure folks can find something to make them happy in a Sci Vessel.

Heh, cause there were all sorts of things wrong with my build and I flew it like I'd never flown a ship before.../facepalm. Heck, even forgot to switch out the Talaxian Eng for the Nausicaan Eng...just threw it together and off I went...wheeeee.

...and with me being a TRIBBLE pilot, a decent pilot would do even better with that craptastic build. And with it being a build that could definitely be improved upon in several ways, that decent pilot with a decent build could do worlds better than what I did there.
    edited April 2015
    So, in summary, we've established that DPS is all that matters, and Healing/Crowd Control/Debuffs = useless in PuGs.

Disappointing.

Going to be blunt here...could you be any more emo? How on Earth did you get that out of what I said?

I gave examples of where all three could be very useful...yes, there was the disclaimer that if you had five folks showing up all doing the same thing, then they're not helping anybody. That's obvious. That's not stating that things are useless by any means...sheesh.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Big,huge,monumental difference between the holy trinity "existing" in a mmo and the holy trinity REQUIRED to clear content in a mmo.

If its not required 99.99999999999 % of the players will go with the pew pew route,big shiny numbers so they can stroke their e-peen and win virtual braggin' rights (which to be honest amount to nothing,with that and a buck you can get a soda).

I think you're right about the results, but the assumptions you make about the motives of people are insulting.

The fact of the matter is, if you have two ways of accomplishing a goal. One being to burn it down with high damage numbers, and the other being to finish it with a traditional trinity including a low damage tank and a low, or no, damage healer. You will accomplish your goal faster and more efficiently with a high damage numbers. It will allow players to accomplish more during their limited amount of play time and obtain the goals they have set for themselves more quickly. And, in the unlikely event that a player running ISA for the 500th time is not doing it for the love of the game but in order to grind resources to prepare for what he really wants to do, it allows him to grind through that chore faster.

And that, not epeen or people being horrible, is why players gravitate towards a DPS burn meta-strategy whenever that option is viable.
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    trennan wrote: »
    Because who really needs to know how to play when you can just BFAW.

Or BO. Or CSV. Or CRF.

Because, let's face it, what else are you going to do?
    giphy.gif
  • agresiel2agresiel2 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hi there guys its Mal/Hulk here,

Wow what a thread to bring me out of retirement (6months).

as the old leader and co-founder of many of the DPS channels i want to go through a few things here that i feel are being misunderstood, mis-represented or just down right lied about.

first off
    Agreed - 'odd' how we never hear about how awesome these uber-builds/uber players were in Korfez/GtGE/StSE/HSE etc etc.

Nope - literally EVERYTHING revolves around ISA. :rolleyes:

simply put this is not true if it is directed at the DPS channels/Wizards and here is some evidence:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=955451

we often tell show and teach people how to do these types of records (these are out of date now but due to new search function being terrible couldn't find more relevant ones)

i know for a fact as i have read them or been a part of them that instances such as
    THREE MAN NWS VS ALL RACES
    TWO MAN NWS
    NWSE- before removal
    HSE
    BATTLE OF CORFEZ
    CCE
    SOLO ISE

videos and firsts have been done and shared about these particular instances and more. Written tactics adopted from tactics we made in the channels are on reddit by sarcasmdetector
    =

And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure why I am supposed to be impressed by uber-DPS in ISA. That STF is anicent - it's been around forever. Uber DPS or not, the majority of us here, on the forums, can do it with our eyes closed. Okay, the DPS obsessives do it a great deal faster - but honestly - so what?

Saying that, I should make it clear that I am not basing my comments on my performance in ISA; I have absolutely ZERO interest worshiping at the shrine of ISA.

so with this quote you will have indulge my explanation a little.

the first reason is it has been around forever is PRECISELY why its used so frequently, its common knowledge how to do it and if you dont you can ask anyone and you will get as much of an answer as you need to jump in and learn by doing.

second reason is this: when we reset the leagues post DR there was much discussion amoungst the leadership about what standard candle should be used to invite people, we wanted something that would be:

known within the player base
    challenging enough so that multiple strats can be done
    long enough so that you can get an accurate baseline to determine realistic dps
    not be artificially inflated by high buff uptime
    and consistently played to build a big data base of players to recruit and help

that last one is the reason we went with ISA, in the beginning of DR and on tribble before release hp pools were sufficient enough on the enemys so that all of these things were ok

however, even before DR i have always been a big proponent of using HIVE SPACE due to its longevity and need for a more allround build/ team comp. you simply couldnt go in there and out gear it with power creep like you could with ISA also i knew that ISA would be nerfed or cryptic would have the game close coz no-one could do it, and it was nerffed heavily.

however that last point on the above list really highlights what the dps channels tries to do even in my absence.

and its this : help people

and the best and most effective way to do this is to build on what people already know and use the consistent training dummy that is ISE/ISA everyone knows it most people can do it and its not too complicated for the current player-base to get their head around.

so when you see someone doing 100k+ in ISA yup you should be impressed imo coz that basically means you can take them and put them anywhere in the game and they will do fine. its a benchmark that fulfills set criteria if you know of another please let me know.
    MY SPEED RECORDS KASE: 13:38 CSE: 13:52 ISE: 13:51 HSE: 2:58 NWS: 6:35

Solo STF's With Optional ISE: 3:34
    i have all logs saved of these so if you would like to view them send me a pm and it can be arranged :)
    edited April 2015
    Okay - apologies - it was perhaps a misinterpretation my part.

Nonetheless, I do feel that I need to look at my build, as it does seem that - whilst not entirely useless per-se, I probably need to consider taking a little emphasis off the healing/Crowd Control/Debuff and work on increasing DPS.

Or maybe you don't. Or maybe you only need a little tweaking if anything. Or maybe it's just about some positioning - maybe it's just about the time spent between engagements.

And it's all going to come down to the content as well...yeah? Cause different content is going to have different things going for it which could result in changes to the build as well.

Like a R-TBR/GW thing that might do well in ISA buying the group time to get the Transformers down or grouping up targets for some clump 'n thump...or... Disco where you can grab aggressors, pull them away, drop a GW on them, and fly back to have an easy time dealing with the Borg cause nothing is within 10km of you to interrupt...that same build going into a Hive...will TRIBBLE off a bunch of Tac Cubes and end up eating respawn windows.

I'll be honest, I'm not a DPS chaser. I think it's awesome what some of those folks can do there at the end of the spectrum, how they're challenging themselves to do that - all that goes into being able to do that...but it's just not my thing. I wanted the DPS League folks to wipe the 20k+ instead of the 30k+ to get rid of my DPS doohickey there (TS Neutronic, EAP, [Pla]...all sorts of broken stuff going on there...I'd prefer it wasn't there).

When I'm posting numbers, I'm usually looking at Aggro/Heal numbers. I'm flying a Sci in a Geneva...using APB and Sensor Scan to debuff targets for folks, tossing out the GW for Crowd Control, using Improved Tachyon Beam for some AoE shield healing, dropping out the Rally Point Marker, dropping other heals, buffing folks with the innate Command abilities (brainfart and can't remember the names off hand, increased damage, CD reduction, increased damage resistance), having the Photonics eating potential damage, running Scattering Field, and so forth...I'm not there trying to go all DPS all over the place...I'm there trying to support the folks in the pug so that the group can do better.

I don't really care about folks that show up with their personal DPS requirements for folks - there are all sorts of channels for folks with those kind of requirements...not sure why they're hitting up the public queues with those; and it's extremely rare - like Epic/Gold rare, lol - that I ever see anybody complain in a run about anything...

...but on the other hand, it's Advanced content and most of it is going to have some sort of minimal DPS requirement to get it done. That doesn't make it all about DPS. That's something that some people do. But there is still going to be that. Five folks showing up for an ISA where they each are doing 1-2k DPS? It's going to fail. That doesn't mean everybody needs to do 30-50k+ DPS. It just means that the content has certain minimal requirements.
  • darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay - apologies - it was perhaps a misinterpretation my part.

Nonetheless, I do feel that I need to look at my build, as it does seem that - whilst not entirely useless per-se, I probably need to consider taking a little emphasis off the healing/Crowd Control/Debuff and work on increasing DPS.

Regardless which ship you fly (assuming you at least will use a T5 ship), you have at least 6 weapon slots, 3 tac console slots and some slots for BOFF tac abilites. So there is not really an excuse for not doing lets say 6-8k DPS which is enough to finish most advanced queues in a reasonable time. And that number still leaves plenty of room to specialise in whatever role you want. Just try to be usefull in that role as well. It is rather frustrating to see so many players call themself tanks, when they barely take in any damage.

Just because some idiots think you are not doing enough DPS, does not mean you have to play the game their way as long as you are hitting certain minimums which you simply need to finish the queues. Next time point those idiots to the DPS channels or other premades likes PESTF if they want to play this way. But they probably are the same idiots that get kicked from the DPS channel because they cannot follow simple rules.

I also somehow doubt said idiots are even part of the DPS channels as no sane person would parse a mission like GGA aside from wanting to look at their own numbers. That map is simply too big and has a very long second part where killing stuff is not really needed and certainly not the main objective. If 5 people parse that map, you will get 5 completely different parses. Or in other words a single parse from GGA has no meaning at all.

As a DPSer myself, i would never yell at a person that does the minimum DPS in a pug mission. It is a PUG and not a premade. If some players have a problem with that, simply tell them to stick to premades.
  • agresiel2agresiel2 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, I FAR from meet the criteria to join said channel - and not entirely sure I'd want to, even if I did, as I enjoy the variety that Pug's sometimes offer. But I do require advice regarding how to build my FT5-U Nova; she's pretty okay at healing/Crowd Control/Debuffs, but the last time I was in an instance of ISA that was parsed was about a month ago, and I was averaging a megre 5.5k DPS then :(

i do understand the frustration of being low dps in a game that has tools and fun things that look so cool yet you get punished by the game and playerbase for using those tools.

really its fault on dev side of things. sadly its a gushing wound that cannot be fixed. (they tried with DR and people complained they couldnt do the content)

however saying your not good enough for the channels isnt true EVERYONE IS WELCOME, and EVERYONE is good enough, DPS public is there for people to ask for help and if you get lucky and one of the big fish of the dps channels are bored with 2 hours to kill thye might bring you on ts and give enough pointers to increase your dps from 5.5k upto 10-15k who knows

only advice i can give is rather than get angry at any mis givings you might have which result in you blaming a comunity, try and reach out to that community and leech what you can out of it then continue on your merry way safe in the knowledge your a btter player WITHOUT having to subscribe to thier entire ethos.

good sir and fly safe
    MY SPEED RECORDS KASE: 13:38 CSE: 13:52 ISE: 13:51 HSE: 2:58 NWS: 6:35

Solo STF's With Optional ISE: 3:34
    i have all logs saved of these so if you would like to view them send me a pm and it can be arranged :)
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That's not failing with the Mandatory Objective, right? But that's not with getting the 15 minute Optional Objective, eh? Cause that's ~31.45k team DPS...don't we need to get into the 35k area to hit the Optional as well?

6.29k DPS was a successful on all objectives completion of ISA, including making the 15 minute time. People sometimes forget that you need LESS DPS when multiple players attack the same target simultaneously on the same shield facings.
    Also, delaying spheres with grav wells and warp plasma helps mitigate for the sub 10k DPS average when trying to destroy transformers before the spheres arrive to heal them. Using a grav well to collect spheres so that killing one of them causes warp core explosions that end up destroying multiple spheres in the well, means you need to put out less DPS to kill them.
    It adds up, but there are ways to be effective with sub 10k DPS.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As long as timers exist in PvE content then DPS is going to be king as you are fighting against the clock. I've been getting the feel of Gates of Gre'thor on normal and the amount of pugs i've been in that fail the 1st and 3rd optionals due to lack of firepower is evident that DPS is a required element of this game.

I fly all careers and sadly Tact is the premier toon followed by Science and lastly Engineer. Only on Ground does a Engineer complete with a Tact and Science becomes the weakest using the original kit modules. No command/Intel or lock box ones. As Sci's only real offensive power is exothermic enduction (Spelling)
    edited April 2015
    Well, I FAR from meet the criteria to join said channel - and not entirely sure I'd want to, even if I did, as I enjoy the variety that Pug's sometimes offer. But I do require advice regarding how to build my FT5-U Nova; she's pretty okay at healing/Crowd Control/Debuffs, but the last time I was in an instance of ISA that was parsed was about a month ago, and I was averaging a megre 5.5k DPS then :(

You show at 7,431.6 from a run on March 26th, 2015 in a pug for a high....and heh, with this game, there are going to be more folks that complain about how high your DPS was there than there are folks that might complain about how low your DPS was there while you were also doing the Heal/CC/Debuff stuff. That's more than enough DPS to put you into the "Elitist" crowd that some folks out there hate. ;)
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When a log is uploaded through CLR, everyone's result gets uploaded: not just that of the uploader.

edit/ and tbh, I'd probably change that if it was me who worked on CLR.
    giphy.gif
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can't equip five exciters; we're limited to equipping only one.
    Are you sure ? I think you can equip more than one particle field exciter.
    However, since I guess you are into PvE, I have a better ( and defo cheaper lol ) idea : the Embassy plasma generating weapon Prtg -Th consoles.
    Each of them gives you half of the partgens provided by a particle field exciter, but they'll give you the Plasma explosion proc DPS which is a NICE chunk of DPS ;-)
    This way, you'll have enough DPS without sacrificing the science role of your ship.
    laferrari1 wrote: »
    lol, you just spoiled my ship, minus the gravity well that doesn't mix very well with reverse TBR.

5 exciters... maybe you meant particle gens?

EWP with Reverse TBR, target goes in the cloud, start Sensor Analysis, Point to it, drop a subnuke and sensor scan, Deflector Phaser + Destabilizing Beam. :cool:
    Great "Daxes" think alike :P
    P58WJe7.jpg

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Regardless which ship you fly (assuming you at least will use a T5 ship), you have at least 6 weapon slots, 3 tac console slots and some slots for BOFF tac abilites. So there is not really an excuse for not doing lets say 6-8k DPS which is enough to finish most advanced queues in a reasonable time. And that number still leaves plenty of room to specialise in whatever role you want. Just try to be usefull in that role as well. It is rather frustrating to see so many players call themself tanks, when they barely take in any damage.

That's it. I'm queing for ISA in a runabout.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Big,huge,monumental difference between the holy trinity "existing" in a mmo and the holy trinity REQUIRED to clear content in a mmo.

If its not required 99.99999999999 % of the players will go with the pew pew route,big shiny numbers so they can stroke their e-peen and win virtual braggin' rights (which to be honest amount to nothing,with that and a buck you can get a soda).

Yes, DPS is the most efficient way of doing things. if you are after farming stuff or just notice and play ISA like reyan, you end up noticing only ISA and easy missions.

If you are used to an expert team in this game, you wont limit yourself to ISA.

It is a chicken or egg scenario for players who dont notice trinity. You got be at par with players who frequent in elite rather than spend your time whine in the forums or do normal or just east advance missions. You wont notice the usefulness of those builds and roles if you remain in normal or easy advance missions. And you cant go frequent SPace elite or harder STF missions, if you dont improve your piloting including the group you play with. Piloting which will result to higher DPS, better healing capabilities, timings etc.

So, yeah got to be total noob skill level to notice that the trinity doesnt exist.
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The content isn't exactly challanging and fun (more like tedious with clunky ui at times.)

Going for dps "epeen" numbers is all thats left to do for a lot of people who are still here and doing it. Not all of us enjoy making alts and doing the leveling content over and over again.

We are already maxed out on rep, done every story mission on every difficulty, maxed out our gear/r&d/doffs (as much as timers allow).

Literally nothing to do other than improve ourselves. And you know what. That's fun! Getting better at something is fun in itself. Sports wouldn't exist if it wasn't for example!

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.