test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's up with the Dil exchange?

officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
So the dil exchange is somewhere around 220dil per zen. A few months ago towards the begining of the year it was relaxing around 160 per. Why the spike? A big interest in obtaining dil? Why is dil hot, it started getting high before or near the begining of the crystalline cataclysm event.

More important question, is it going to go back where it was?

I remember when I first joined Feb of '14 the exchange rate was 127dil per zen, but I don't expect to see that again.

Until it gets back I wouldn't imagine converting my dil at such ridiculous rates, i'll be a dil horder.

Any arm chair trekkie economists want to weigh in?
Post edited by officerbatman81 on

Comments

• teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So the dil exchange is somewhere around 220dil per zen. A few months ago towards the begining of the year it was relaxing around 160 per. Why the spike? A big interest in obtaining dil? Why is dil hot, it started getting high before or near the begining of the crystalline cataclysm event.

I remember when I first joined Feb of '14 the exchange rate was 127dil per zen, but I don't expect to see that again.

Until it gets back I wouldn't imagine converting my dil at such ridiculous rates, i'll be a dil horder.

Well, there's been an influx of dil lately and not as much of a reason to spend it for people already maxed out. DR is solving some of the problem with fleet projects being a goal this week, but it adds back to by giving out dil like it's going out of style.

Supply and demand. If they come up with some killer dil sinks again, the exchange rate will go down for dil per zen. If there's more of a zen sink in the C-store, the price of zen goes up for Dil.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • desertjetsdesertjets Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is gobs of dil in the system with few sinks at the moment. Between several events since New Years and now Delta Recruit we have lots of dil. Plus between the command cruisers, the iconic ships and the anticipation of the pilot ships there are many new items that players want to exchange dil for zen for. Short of a new fleet holding that requires millions of dil to complete I think we'll be at these higher rates for the time being.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited April 2015
    A lot of people think that there are no worth-while DIL sinks currently, to keep DIL exchange rates in check.

According to Geko's latest appearance on Priority One, however... the team is working on "fleet improvements/revamp." So, I would read two things into this:

1. The team is actively working on this, as we speak, so my guess is this is what's coming in Season 10.5. (Don't let nay-sayers tell you otherwise.)

2. "Revamp" likely means some sort of addition to the fleet system... meaning new DIL sinks are likely inbound.

So... sit tight. ;)
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Other way around sir, its the zen thats hot and the dil getting devalued. With the new t6 flagships, upcoming rumoured pilot ships, fleet t6 ships, and influx of delta recruit dil, theres a lot of the stuff going around and a lot of stuff people want (checked out fleet modules lately? They were 11 mil last i checked which is a 100% value inflation they are 500z and should be around 5 mil). Not a lot of sinks people care for either.. Also a lot of players like myself will have finished all the old reps minus iconian this week on their recruits(killed mine yesterday, others might have finished before that) so shes sitting on a few weeks worth of unrefined from that alone nevernind the stockpile she already had.

Edit: also, dil weekend incoming so expect the stuff to go up even more
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Blame the new Galaxy class. The only time I've ever seen the dil rate shoot up 35 points in a day.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can blame back to back to back to back to back, dilithium generating events. All without any meaningful dilithium sinks; most fleets are done progressing and most people are done upgrading. Couple that with attractive C-Store ships and you have the cutter rate.

It's here to stay and I expect it to just go up.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    More ships are on the way, so even more Zen will be needed.

Fleet Intel and Fleet T6 Galaxy and LRSV were also recently added; so Fleets are investing heavily into their Shipyards (if they aren't already there).

New lockboxes with a ton of useful things in there, so keys are also in more demand.

The only real sink currently is Iconian Rep and upgrading of any of its equipment.

As one who occasionally influxes Zen for that extra bit of Dil I might need, this is perfectly fine for me.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Every time the dil exchange prices change, someone has to start one of these dumb threads.

Simple answer now and forever:
    Supply and demand

And it has been much higher in the past.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The only way it will ever come down again to 130 - 180 is with a new fleet holding. And since it appears that all new T6 ships do not require this we will see a continued creep up up up with every new dilithium event. The upgrade system is simply no longer enough to balance the market. When it hits 300 I'll be dumping into fleets for characters who need credits.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Every time the dil exchange prices change, someone has to start one of these dumb threads.

Supply and demand

Pardon me the hell out of me, but they did not simply "change", it is an obscene skyrocket. I'm allowed to start any dumb threads I see fit.
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »

Supply and demand

Quoting for truth. I left around a month or two after Delta Rising, and the DIL prices where in the 300's.

When I came back a few weeks ago, I was shocked to see it at a nice 220. Had I seen 160 or so, I would have had a heart attack.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Pardon me the hell out of me, but they did not simply "change", it is an obscene skyrocket.

Eh, it just seems like an adjustment, for those of us who've been here longer.

Back when I joined, the rate was on it's way down, and the forums were full of DOOM threads from wallet warriors yelling about how the economy was crashing/game was ruined/etc because the rate wasn't 300+ anymore.

A year after I joined, the rate was around 80-100 for a few months.

Last year, 135 was the average for awhile

When you joined, 160.

Now, it's 220.

The rate varies over long periods of time, due to a variety of factors (how much people want zen, how much people need Dil, etc). It's all normal, and it's nothing to really panic about. It is what it is.

(These changes also don't seem as major to me after spending a few months in Neverwinter when it launched. The exchange there started maxed out at 500, eventually dropped to the 300's.... and then spiked right back up to 500 and stayed there, with the other side of the exchange empty of Zen. I'm sure it's changed further since I left that game.)

/shrug
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For those who complain and/or, think the rate is too high.

The simple solution is either.

1: Don't buy at those rates and, be patient

2: Work the market to your advantage, if you really want to get ahead quicker
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Pardon me the hell out of me, but they did not simply "change", it is an obscene skyrocket. I'm allowed to start any dumb threads I see fit.
    The more Dilthium in the system the less value it has - just as printing more dollars by the Federal Reserve only devalues the dollars already in circulation. That is why countries cannot just print more money to deal with debt issues.

Because of all the recent Events Cryptic has offered people have a lot more Dilithium then they did even 6 months ago. For example, the current Delta Recruit Event is giving people Dilithium for every kill they make while using a Recruit. That is hundreds of thousands of Diltihuim a day by all the players that no one actually working to earn - it is just being given for killing anything.

More Dilithium means there is an abundance, and thus Dilithium buyers can get a better value for their earnings. When Dilthium is scarce buyers need to pay more to get it.

Dilithium abundance: 5 Zen for 1,100 Dilithium.

Dilithum scarce: 10 zen for 1,100 Dilithium.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I'm a veteran of the Exchange. I've played it long enough to identify patters.

The reason for the skyrocket:

1: Extended DL event. (Increased supply of DL)
    2: Release of Command Cruisers. (Increased Demand for Zen)
    3: Crystaline event. (Increased supply of DL)
    4: Release of T6 Iconic ships (Increased Demand for Zen)

The behavior of the DL Excange, as it is directly controled by players and indirectly by Cryptic via C-Store and events, is that whenever we have an influx of Dilithium, Zen prices go up because Dilithium is more common, thus less valuable. Also, Zen prices go up whenever Cryptic releases shiny new ships into the C-Store, which makes Zen more desirable, and people want more DL for their Zen.

All of this equals higher Zen prices due to both market saturation and increased demand for Zen. The only real way to balance it out is to provide a sink that makes Dilithium valuable. Upgrading gear is clearly not enough. So far the only effective sink has been fleet holdings. New fleet holding comes out, Zen prices drop because now Dilithium is more valuable.

Having 4 events in a row that both saturated the market as well as increased demand for Zen has driven prices up.

I expect prices will go up a bit more after this weekend, but should level off as usual after a normal Dilithium Weekend, and overall will start to stabilize again to hopefully about 150/1 as before everything got nuked.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015

My guess? With the new Delta Recruits dil is easier to obtain and therefore less vaulable whereas zen remains at the same cost. It only makes sense that the cost of dil to zen goes up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree with Lucho80, supply and demand. If peoole can not figure that out oh well. Some player don't remember when it was around 360-380 for months on end, then fleets system came out and a dilithium sink started bring down the price. It dropped again when upgrading equipment started. Now fleets and equipment upgrades are not as much in demand, prices are rising. This to include the introduction of new ships and lock boxes. Another thing that made it easy is most people got another additional toon slot for Delta Recruitment, this allowed players to have an additional dil grinder. Let's also face it dil is real easy to get right now with very little work. Patrols are worth 480, most STFs are around 780-1440, and the Dyson Ground Battlezone is a gold mine; even with the nerd it has taken.
    320x240.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Oh god... I remember the dark days of 360+. Try grinding out a TOS bundle on that with nothing but Borg STFs and the Breen dailies to supply Dilithium.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Oh god... I remember the dark days of 360+. Try grinding out a TOS bundle on that with nothing but Borg STFs and the Breen dailies to supply Dilithium.

I'm with you on that one rattler.... o.o
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »

Yeah the year after F2P it was really bad. It didn't go down until fleet star bases were implemented since they were a huge Dil sink.

The problem now is we've had quite a few events that rewarded dil and some popular items in the cstore like the iconic ships and the command ships. It's also way easier to get dilithium now more than ever. Most of the Dilithium sinks are now full as in a lot of fleet holdings are maxed out and most people who upgrade their equipment have. I won't expect it to go down until another fleet holding or some other dilithium sink is added.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You know OP I deal with Cryptic for three years flat. One the one hand I’m under the impression that I deal with a talented group of people producing a great star trek game. On the other I’m under the impression I deal with a group of… I don’t know… children who still have trouble to get any form of game basics right, especially when it comes to balance things. Take three examples:

1) Crafting, the time where you can make a fortune out of a lvl 15 crafting school are long gone. Who in the world would push 18k finish now buttons to speed it up? And even if you arrived there, if you want level 15 stuff crafting it yourself with Dil components is pretty much the last thing one should do. Buy it from exchange and you at least get what you want without dealing with rng pakled nightmares.

2) Rarity upgrades. Well everybody wants golden items but the moment you have a few you see that the stat benefits in no way justify the recourses which are needed to make em. What makes it worse Cryptic is sitting on their number one related currency, salvage tech, as if they would be some sort of crown jewels. Only a minority has access to them in reasonable amounts to use them to burn Dil. Lol, why did they design it that way? Only they hold me off from making builds with golden toilets.

3)Fleets. There may be a handful of items left worth getting there but why bother at all? The second peeps have the stuff they want stop donating anyway. I’m in 5 fleets and it’s the same everywhere I look, nobody donates Dil to progress a base. And why bother with progression here at all… for what? Just ask for a map invite of a tier 5 base.

If Dil exchange is off, nobody should scratch their head over it. If you want something worth getting in STO you just need EC and not Dil.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The release of the Command Ships, the Iconic Ships, and popular lockbox/RnD Box events like the T6 Bug Ship and the Elachi Sheshar pushed Zen demand through the roof.

It was higher a while back, but now it's actually starting to fall. People have their ships, and their Delta Recruits are reaching level 50+ and need Dilithium for upgrades.

The Dilithium Exchange is just like any other market, as said a thousand times already, Supply and Demand dictates the rate. It really is just that simple.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    A lot of people think that there are no worth-while DIL sinks currently, to keep DIL exchange rates in check.

According to Geko's latest appearance on Priority One, however... the team is working on "fleet improvements/revamp." So, I would read two things into this:

1. The team is actively working on this, as we speak, so my guess is this is what's coming in Season 10.5. (Don't let nay-sayers tell you otherwise.)

2. "Revamp" likely means some sort of addition to the fleet system... meaning new DIL sinks are likely inbound.

So... sit tight. ;)

Yea cool but coming from Geko this has the potential so scare me out of the game man.

A revamp of fleets? How about restructuring of main base XP projects that you can only progress with massive Dil input there? Another option would be to take away the base invite feature to ensure that every fleet goes for such a thing….

The options for awesome Geko ideas here seem endless….
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yea cool but coming from Geko this has the potential so scare me out of the game man.

A revamp of fleets? How about restructuring of main base XP projects that you can only progress with massive Dil input there? Another option would be to take away the base invite feature to ensure that every fleet goes for such a thing….

The options for awesome Geko ideas here seem endless….

Taking away the base invite feature would only hurt small fleets. I am in a fleet of about 4-8 players, and we are currently working on the last project. What I would love to se happen is anything bought at you star base or fleet holding would create a dil pool. This dil pool would then be used by your fleet leader to offset your fleet holdings. So if you buy an elite hanger pet, elite shields, or consoles this dil would go into the pool and the fleet leader can distribute it to the highest priority project of their choosing.
    320x240.jpg
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So with the dilithium weekend coming up.. You're saying I should keep my zen stipend from this month and cash in dilithium after the weekend?

I don't know any more how the dil-zen economy works in sto :|

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm just hoping I can manage to score enough Dil to generate 6K Zen to buy the Command Cruiser 3-pack, and maybe some extra left over to help afford the upgrades to the Iconian console/beam/torpedo set (I'm planning ahead to see exchange rates reach 250 D per Z around this time next week). I hope turning in Contraband will still have a +50% payout this weekend.