test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please upgrade Tovan Khev so all the hate would go away

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    He's my XO. On all my Roms.

(Remember that each of your toons is in his/her/its own story. The others have nothing to do with it - else you'd have to wonder how many times the Tal'Shiar will set up the same "secret" facility in the same spot on Numbass - er, I mean Nimbus III.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I do wonder why Veril's story never gets the kind of resolution that Tovan's does, now that you mention it. Slamek sold Veril's family out to the Elachi along with the rest of the inhabitants of Crateris, and Slamek is practically our bro by the time we're finished scavenging his ship for communicator parts.

I'm not saying, but Bioware would have let me swear to avenge Veril's father, hunt the Reman traitor down, romance Veril, and have a quick Captain Kirk one-nighter with Rinna (with the option to make Tovan stay and watch) on the side. Just saying.
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    The hate some people have for that dude is hilarious.

For every complaint about Khev, I have not heard one about Flores or K'Gan. Not one. Its incredibly amusing.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They would fight.

Bro, I got Tovan, Rinna, AND Charva on my crew. I just stay in my cabin on ch'Mol'Rhian because I can't get ANY sleep on the Hyll'aeh with those three arguing! Lol
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't hate Tovan but I really like it if I didn't have to spend 65 million EC to get superior romulan operative off of the exchange. Even at that price it's not worth it to spend your time on New Romulus.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    schloopdoo wrote: »
    I do wonder why Veril's story never gets the kind of resolution that Tovan's does, now that you mention it. Slamek sold Veril's family out to the Elachi along with the rest of the inhabitants of Crateris, and Slamek is practically our bro by the time we're finished scavenging his ship for communicator parts.

I'm not saying, but Bioware would have let me swear to avenge Veril's father, hunt the Reman traitor down, romance Veril, and have a quick Captain Kirk one-nighter with Rinna (with the option to make Tovan stay and watch) on the side. Just saying.

Veril's storyline gets dropped as soon as you finish her mission.

In the mission where you save D'Vex (who by the way gets to regenerate in the fountain of Elachi Youth), you also come across Veril's dad... not a peep out of her when you open the metamorphosis chamber he is in and keels over dead... not a freaking peep.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    I've been paying attention to Tovan this go-around, and I've noticed something.

All those times folks say he's "talking back" or "trying to give me orders"?

He's doing a first officer's job - pointing out to the captain that the captain might be making a mistake. *snip*
    Tovan grates because he's the railroad telling the player he cannot deviate away from the line. You can't fire him, you can't demote him, you can't put him on a shuttle away from your ship, you can't promote him and give him a ship of his own, you can't do anything but listen to him. It's not that he gives bad advice or is a negative neddy or he thinks he's in command - it's that you have to accept him and all of the above, whether you like it or not.

All Tovan hate springs from this, everything else is just window dressing and a lot of people's reasoning is just bad (lol 'he's not a superior romulan operative? ZOMG i can't stack the tiny bit of extra crth and crtd qq'). The first time I played a romulan and went through the campaign I didn't mind him at all. The second time though? It just struck me how much I didn't like that he was there and wouldn't shut up, and I couldn't make him shut up any other way than by pressing F as quickly as possible and getting through the campaign. And I hate doing that because I'm here for the story.

And it's purely irrational, but I also don't like the voice acting. Now, if I could be bros with Obisek...
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You could give him a trait that kills all enemies with one shot, and people would still complain that it didn't kill all enemies on the map. I really don't get the hate at Tovan.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • derspenglerderspengler Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    quintaris wrote: »
    I find it funny that Tovan gets all this hate, but no one talks about Flores. Is it because she becomes just another boff after the tutorial?

Partly that, partly because she's at least a customizable human female, physically (if she were Ferengi or Tellarite you'd never hear the end of it). You can't rename her, though. That actually bugs me in a control freak sort of way.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For every complaint about Khev, I have not heard one about Flores or K'Gan. Not one. Its incredibly amusing.

If folks dont like her or K'Gan... guess what? You can dismiss em.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Do you want to get it? Because it has been explained several times by different people in this thread, so you not getting it might be something about you, not them. ;)
    No, in fact, it has not. People just hate him. They haven't presented any reason, other than they didn't make him and can't rename him.

He is indeed physically alterable, at least as far as Flores or K'Gan; Kehel's XO is built like a weightlifter, with a close-shaved haircut, Romulan 2 eyebrows, and no sign of any stupid tattoos. Tovan Khev2 is the standard Tovan, while Nniol tr'Keiniadh's XO is taller, with that swoop haircut that makes him look all emo (and a big ol' bat'leth on his back).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Here's the best way to fix Tovan:

1) Change his quality to white.

2) Give him special dialog in every single mission, not just the first few sets.

3) Periodically during space combat or even ground combat, have him periodically say random phrases, even simple things like, "Tovan here" or "This is Tovan" or "You seem to be at 50% hull strength, captain! Click here for more info!"

4) To keep him unique, don't allow his outfit or look to be customized.

5) If not used as part of your away team, have one of your other bridge officers get beamed back up as he beams down to join you.

- - -

Yes, I think all of these would make Tovan much more enjoyable.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    YES! THE HATE! I CAN FEEL IT FROM YOU ALL! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I shall consume all your hate, your anger. I nourish your tears to sustain myself!

Let the Tovan hate train push forward for all eternity!
  • elementalistgaiaelementalistgaia Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aesica wrote: »
    Here's the best way to fix Tovan:

1) Change his quality to white.

2) Give him special dialog in every single mission, not just the first few sets.

3) Periodically during space combat or even ground combat, have him periodically say random phrases, even simple things like, "Tovan here" or "This is Tovan" or "You seem to be at 50% hull strength, captain! Click here for more info!"

4) To keep him unique, don't allow his outfit or look to be customized.

5) If not used as part of your away team, have one of your other bridge officers get beamed back up as he beams down to join you.

- - -

Yes, I think all of these would make Tovan much more enjoyable.

don't forget

6) So that no one is left out Tovan will also join up as a permanent bridge officer during the Fed and KDF tutorials, and be automatically added to all pre existing captain's crews, for those that have all their BOff slots filled Tovan will overwrite the BOff in the captain's topmost slot.

I think we have Next Year's April Fool's day event here. :D
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    (Which, by the way, does not sound Romulan at all - it is in fact more like a Cardassian name.)

And then, the truth was revealed: Cryptic didn't make a Cardassian faction because they saw how players hate Tovan's name and behavior, all while never realizing he was being named and acting like a Cardassian in disguise.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Personally, the only thing I hate about Tovan is his "always first" -flag. That hidden trait the devs added to him that makes him appear on ship bridge, contact dialogs, etc, instead of the officers I've chosen to use.

If I could just leave him at the bottom of the boff roster and forget about him, I would. Even if I could, I would not dismiss him unless I could reclaim him.

Incidentally, players exploiting the now-patched loophole that allowed him to be turned into a training manual have proven that the "he's too integrated into missions, dismissing him would break the game, too much work to make it possible" -excuse is almost completely false. If dismissed, the game would automatically use another bridge officer instead and the only "break" is that the officer used would get called "Tovan Khev" in some missions.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Personally, the only thing I hate about Tovan is his "always first" -flag. That hidden trait the devs added to him that makes him appear on ship bridge, contact dialogs, etc, instead of the officers I've chosen to use.

If I could just leave him at the bottom of the boff roster and forget about him, I would. Even if I could, I would not dismiss him unless I could reclaim him.

Incidentally, players exploiting the now-patched loophole that allowed him to be turned into a training manual have proven that the "he's too integrated into missions, dismissing him would break the game, too much work to make it possible" -excuse is almost completely false. If dismissed, the game would automatically use another bridge officer instead and the only "break" is that the officer used would get called "Tovan Khev" in some missions.

Uh well no, you can assign other Boffs to positions and they won't be called up in messages. There isn't an always first flag.

The problem with the romulan arc is the missions directly call Tovan, they don't call the first officer position or chief medical officer. Its a mistake, they could fix it, they likely won't because the story would break apart.

The reality is most sane people are fine with Tovan, only obsessive control freaks have this never ending need that they think its their right to remove him

Its a game design choice, live with it or just stop playing
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tk79 wrote: »
    Some folks hate Tovan because he's a guy.
    Some folks hate Tovan because he talks a lot.
    Some folks hate Tovan because he's a whiner.
    Some folks hate Tovan because he oversteps authority.
    Wow, never ever noticed that...
    Then again, once some NPC talks, I skip him, I have my sound entirely off (I blast music whilst playing)...
    As for Tovan being a guy, well, male critters are part of the universe, we cannot have an all-female universe, now can we?
    So that too does not bother me.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tovan Khev is the reincarnation of Kaidan Alenko: and I can't stand either of them. Period.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I use Tovan on my Ground Team. He's not bad when you gear and train him right. My complaint with him is mostly during the story arc. Sometimes I was unsure which of us was the Captain, lol.

Tovan used to irritate me. But I got over myself and thought, 'meh. It's a game. The designers made a choice I would not have and then reinforced a second rate choice by overdoing it. Once I am done with the tutorial and the story, Tovan will become like all my other BOffs and not be as bothersome.'
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If Tovan was a removable character, there would be no discussion on him...period.

Based on a quote from the F.C.T. they would never allow Tovan to be dismissible because it is a 'extremely risky change to make.' As a few have found a way to have him dismissed, nothing breaks the game.

Only odd thing is this VO goes over one of your other Boffs which doesn't make much sense, but I think people would be fine with that if allowed the option to have the guy go away for good.

As many pointed out, increasing his worth won't do squat for some anyway based on preference.

I don't care either way, but there should be no excuse now not to have the option to remove him.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thing is, he's part of the Rom Story Arc, thus cannot be deleted (during that time).
    Maybe once that arc part is over, make him removeable?

Merely thinking out loud here...
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Tovan Khev is the reincarnation of Kaidan Alenko: and I can't stand either of them. Period.
    Kaidan Alenko is awesome. Tovan is not. Apples to oranges.
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    stofsk wrote: »
    Kaidan Alenko is awesome. Tovan is not. Apples to oranges.

Kaiden Alenko is lame, weird and creepy. Sorry. Apples to oranges. Tovan's just this guy... you know?
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tigeraries wrote: »
    If folks dont like her or K'Gan... guess what? You can dismiss em.

Huh, I could've sworn I didn't have the option to dismiss Flores last I checked.

Oh well, its still incredibly amusing. Of all the things y'all could be full of incoherent rage over, this is the hill you're standing on.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
This discussion has been closed.