Options

Space is Emptier than Ever

2»

Comments

• Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Space is big. I mean really big. You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space. Listen...

Besides, if it weren't pretty much empty, how could we ever wind up being the only available ship in the sector? :D

I don't want to go it alone against the Iconians, Jon. :eek: Please don't make me fight the Iconians alone. I'll die, I just know I'll die.

I WISH I was Kirk. Sadly, I play STO more like I'm Barkley. Speaking of Star Trek's answer to Walter Mitty...

Has Dwight Schultz done any VO work for STO?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't want to go it alone against the Iconians, Jon. :eek: Please don't make me fight the Iconians alone. I'll die, I just know I'll die.

I WISH I was Kirk. Sadly, I play STO more like I'm Barkley. Speaking of Star Trek's answer to Walter Mitty...

Has Dwight Schultz done any VO work for STO?

Somewhat unrelated, that made me think of the actor in STV who read off the lines that Shatner wrote in to inflate his character. "I need Jim Kirk"
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    This isn't a doom post by any stripe, just commenting on a change to the feel of the game, for me.

Sector space now caps at a mere 25 ships per instance - and since instances now cover entire quadrants, not just sector blocks, that means I can fly from one side of said quadrant(s) to the other without ever seeing another starship (or only as distant blips, at the edge of sensor range). It's enough to make me think wistfully of the Miranda swarms that kicked off this event.

I'm hoping that in the future, we'll get a raised cap and fewer, more populated instances. For all that I usually prefer to solo, I do like to feel that there are other players out there - and not just know that they are, but actually see them, going about their business.

Pretty sure the player caps are to keep chat from becoming a mile a minute spam fest.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zenn3k wrote: »
    Pretty sure the player caps are to keep chat from becoming a mile a minute spam fest.
    It's not working.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's not working.

Yes it is…just think how much worse it would be with everyone in the same sector...
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From a canon perspective it makes sense.. I mean look at TwoK.. The ent crew was weirded out by even running into the reliant flying around. They even intentionally changed the FoV to make it feel more vast and lonely.
  • Options
    kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    This isn't a doom post by any stripe, just commenting on a change to the feel of the game, for me.

Sector space now caps at a mere 25 ships per instance - and since instances now cover entire quadrants, not just sector blocks, that means I can fly from one side of said quadrant(s) to the other without ever seeing another starship (or only as distant blips, at the edge of sensor range). It's enough to make me think wistfully of the Miranda swarms that kicked off this event.

I'm hoping that in the future, we'll get a raised cap and fewer, more populated instances. For all that I usually prefer to solo, I do like to feel that there are other players out there - and not just know that they are, but actually see them, going about their business.

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    -Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

This is the thing: in most of the star trek tv shows, movies, etc, there was ony one ship around. They traveled massive distances and never even came close to any other ships. The new sector space maps truely gives the feeling that space is massive as it should be.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was way out in the middle of nowhere, in the Delta Quadrant, when I came upon an abandoned ship. Every time I scanned it, I got R&D materials. A few minutes later, the ship had repaired itself, and vanished. It was awesome! :D

I found that ship last night. That WAS awesome! :D
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes it is…just think how much worse it would be with everyone in the same sector...

No, it isn't. Zone chat (i.e., the most commonly used one) is per map, not per instance. What you're thinking of is "local" chat, which is per instance and actually works off distance too.

I'm not so fond of these maps. I was all for expanding the maps somewhat, i.e. combining two or three blocks into one, but this huge feel is really offputting and jarring for me. Something just doesn't look quite right. Has the FoV changed?
    I'll get used to it eventually I'm sure, but I'm not a fan.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    rickdanko wrote: »
    I found that ship last night. That WAS awesome! :D
    My Rom Delta Recruit found one floating in space just outside one of the mission systems in the Beta Quadrant. That was cool, yes. (Got some good stuff out of it, too!)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015

Chat is (and always has been) cross instance. All instances talk in the same zone chat.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I actually LOVE 'empty' space.... makes more like I am flying from place to place and the lack of a 100 ships ridding my warp tail helps space look like big and empty.
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    How about a big no. While I respect both of your opinions I never heard Kirk, Picard or even Sisco ever say, "Rendezvous with the nearest freighter I want to pick up a burrito." :P

joke aside, those basic services should be placed in locations where you cant find these services unless you like travelling to these home sectors from where you were because you forgot one smal thing and then travel back.

i thought the players on this game wanted quality of life stuff as well?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My Rom Delta Recruit found one floating in space just outside one of the mission systems in the Beta Quadrant. That was cool, yes. (Got some good stuff out of it, too!)

There is also a comet somewhere in the Delta Quadrant granting crafting materials too. Those random objects are a nice touch. Having an accolade like "Ultimate sensor" or something meaning you're OCD*... I mean curious enough to explore the whole maps to find hidden stuff, could be a nice addition, too.
    While I respect both of your opinions I never heard Kirk, Picard or even Sisco ever say, "Rendezvous with the nearest freighter I want to pick up a burrito."
    Well, Janeway wanted to set course to a nebula because there was coffee in it. :P

*Obligatory "This is a joke and is not meant to offend people suffering from OCD or Tumblrite/Twitterite being triggered and offended for them".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    How about a big no. While I respect both of your opinions I never heard Kirk, Picard or even Sisco ever say, "Rendezvous with the nearest freighter I want to pick up a burrito." :P

"Hello, Azura II / Vo'owl / Suliban Cell ship, can you come over to sector X and deliver a burrito for me?"

"Thank you"... :P

Hour and a half later...

"Freighter friend, can you deliever another burrito? ... ... ... What do you mean only one ship call every two hours scam a friend into doing so????!!?"
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    psychoijediboypsychoijediboy Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    Somewhat unrelated, that made me think of the actor in STV who read off the lines that Shatner wrote in to inflate his character. "I need Jim Kirk"

OT Trivia: That wasn't an actor, it was Harve Bennett, writer and producer of ST II through ST V, doing a cameo. :D Sadly, he passed away just a couple of months ago.

And, uh, just so this isn't completely off topic: I love the new sector space too. Feels properly empty for deep space, finally.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I actually LOVE 'empty' space.... makes more like I am flying from place to place and the lack of a 100 ships ridding my warp tail helps space look like big and empty.

Yep, me too. Aside from major cargo lanes, or in-system space (I can imagine traffic control being a nightmare in congested systems like Sol!), I do not expect space to be full.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    fltcaptalanfltcaptalan Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I enjoy the big and empty maps, like others have said, it is more realistic. I also agree with that they should re-establish the trade routes, and use them as places where you can find supplies, with the occasional trader or ferengi elsewhere, not saying they should be every where, but one or two in the more remote sectors, and the closer you get to a capitol, you could have a few more off of trade routes, and while we are at it, I'd like the sh'mer (or however you spell it) distress call back, as well as the refueling station distress call, and a few more missions like these, or at least repeatable patrols in many of the alpha and beta quadrant systems, like those in the delta quadrant and from the former Tau Dewa sector block.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like the new feel. In fact it reminds me of what exploration clusters were trying to be. I can't wait for the foundry missions to republish. Now I can go to each planet in a sector, sector by sector and it feels like flying in those clusters. Except I see the planet I'm going to, there are random anomalies in space that offer mats, every once in a while there is an enemy encounter where other players will join in and once the foundry is back up there will be loads of new content.

I did a run from the top left sector in the beta Q all the way right and ended up leveling my specialization and experienced a myriad of patrol missions of all kinds. Collected about 12K in dil, about 400K worth of EC.
    or at least repeatable patrols in many of the alpha and beta quadrant systems, like those in the delta quadrant and from the former Tau Dewa sector block.

I believe the patrol missions have all been opened and set to cool downs. I noticed a few patrol missions I was able to do in Federation space near Risa that I haven't seen in some time. I could be mistaken.
  • Options
    fltcaptalanfltcaptalan Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rekurzion wrote: »

I believe the patrol missions have all been opened and set to cool downs. I noticed a few patrol missions I was able to do in Federation space near Risa that I haven't seen in some time. I could be mistaken.

I just checked on my fed main, nothing around risa, I know they are not on cool-down, because I did the last standard one last summer, not including Tau Dewa and the Delta quadrant.
  • Options
    hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OP, I respectfully disagree with you on that. I enjoy the feel of the new sector space. It's more realistic, and more canon IMO. I disliked flying around and seeing Scimitars and a ton of other ships everywhere before.
    One thing I can't stand though is the space background we have now. It just looks terribad. I really hope that it gets brought up to standard really soon. The planets look great and the scale is so much better, but the background looks like a grainy mess.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    OP, I respectfully disagree with you on that. I enjoy the feel of the new sector space. It's more realistic, and more canon IMO. I disliked flying around and seeing Scimitars and a ton of other ships everywhere before.
    One thing I can't stand though is the space background we have now. It just looks terribad. I really hope that it gets brought up to standard really soon. The planets look great and the scale is so much better, but the background looks like a grainy mess.
    That's actually a quite realistic view toward galactic center from here. Those "grains"? Those are stars. The Milky Way is about 100,000 lightyears across (or possibly 150,000 - recent astronomical data indicate we might have underestimated our home galaxy a bit). And that irregular mass around a blackish center is a view toward the galactic core, with gas clouds in the plane of the galactic ecliptic.

And in every other direction it looks empty, because it is.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like it, finally feels like space instead of being crammed into a small area.

Also I usually find others in the Delta areas. At the Dyson and Kobali the most.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.