test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gah, foundry is down

gigaman123gigaman123 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
I am stoked that season 10 is released.

I went on STO in a foundry mood, now It's down. I suspect they are doing some tweaks to it, making it compatible with the new sector map or adding in Iconian things.

Oh well... I'll just sit here until I am no longer in a foundry mood and in a gameplay mood.
Veteran of STO, had it for 5 years. Unfortunately, my Original account is gone.

"Make it so" - Captain Picard

Build I am working for my Federation, Klingon, and Romulans.
Post edited by gigaman123 on

Comments

• Options
    arincdiarincdi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It'll be back in (probably) a week or two. Just do the writing in Word or something until it comes back.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    rancidmojorancidmojo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is there any official notice of how long the foundry will be offline?
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rancidmojo wrote: »
    Is there any official notice of how long the foundry will be offline?

They don't usually know ahead of time, no.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Foundry downtime is a variable depending on things like, republishing, things going right with the republish, not having to do rollbacks, not finding things broken in what was republished...usual best case is 10 days, mostly because theres always a weekend involved, but it CAN take longer, especially if things are not best case
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2015
    Experience has shown that three weeks is generally a good estimate for the whole process to finish (republish, editor back on, reviewing back on).

Don't worry, it is entirely normal, and helps prevents things like massive rollbacks, damage to missions and five weeks of the editor being offline like we had in Season 4.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Experience has shown that three weeks is generally a good estimate for the whole process to finish (republish, editor back on, reviewing back on).

Don't worry, it is entirely normal, and helps prevents things like massive rollbacks, damage to missions and five weeks of the editor being offline like we had in Season 4.

What exactly went so wrong that the foundry had to be taken down for 5 weeks?
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rangerryu wrote: »
    What exactly went so wrong that the foundry had to be taken down for 5 weeks?

A bug that ate Foundry dialog, but only reared it's head when authors tried to edit their missions.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hmm I vaguely remember an old bug that would erase the contents of a text box whenever you clicked in it. That one?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Basically this, and alot of authors panicked and started unpublishing their missions, which made it worse and its kinda cascaded from there. Bear in mind that at the time of season 4, we didnt have the editor downtime... They spend weeks having to restore missions from backups AND track down what was eating the dialogs...it was....not....pleasant

(This is why we don't talk about Season 4)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I remember season 4.... Horrible foundry times. I avoided the foundry up until season 6.

I wish the foundry was up already, this urge to use it is not going away, and its hunger is growing.

Typing it up on a text doc is not the same. It's harder for me to conceive of ideas, because I implement them, play them to see if I like it, if I don't... Scrap it.

I cannot test on the docs therefore I do not know if it's good. I could try multiple ideas, but I have a harder time.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    yeah if I storyboard on paper it always gets re-written before I publish.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Season 4 made me never trust in the foundry again. That trust never recover, I just use the tool for some map creation and nothing more.

Season 4 was the worst season ever, and players hate it.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    triangulartorpstriangulartorps Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, um, when is the Foundry coming back online?

With this rate and speed (no missions republished yet, not even the spotlight ones), people will have no missions to play during the dilithium weekend, and that just sucks....

Did you guys forget to press the big green "Republish Foundry" button again?
  • Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2015

This actually wouldn't be surprising.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, um, when is the Foundry coming back online?

With this rate and speed (no missions republished yet, not even the spotlight ones), people will have no missions to play during the dilithium weekend, and that just sucks....

I'm more betting deliberately didn't do so because of the lag problems at present. Game servers don't really need any more strain atm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    triangulartorpstriangulartorps Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm more betting deliberately didn't do so because of the lag problems at present. Game servers don't really need any more strain atm...

Lag problems? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be the season with the LEAST lag problems ever, I hardly experienced any rubberbanding on day one of the update.
    Usually I would spend at least 5 minutes trying to get from the ESD transporter room to the Exchange, but when S10 went online - a slip here and there, but everything was just fine.

Also, previous seasons had way more lag but still released the Foundry republish within 5-7 days after the update.

So... I dunno... My paranoid mind is running in overdrive... :D
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Foundry! Stahp being down! Foundry?! Stahp!

• Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Lag problems? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be the season with the LEAST lag problems ever, I hardly experienced any rubberbanding on day one of the update.
    Usually I would spend at least 5 minutes trying to get from the ESD transporter room to the Exchange, but when S10 went online - a slip here and there, but everything was just fine.

Also, previous seasons had way more lag but still released the Foundry republish within 5-7 days after the update.

So... I dunno... My paranoid mind is running in overdrive... :D

Go check the rest of the forums and reddit. There's some lag problems for certain areas. I'm not having any on the west coast, but I know several europeans and east coasters who are kinda doooooomed with lag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I had an issue yesterday with epic lag and multiple DCs in a short time window.

But that was for a 30 minute span and it quit.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing