test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

R&D Changes

trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
I've seen a lot of people asking for R&D changes. Not a bad idea, they're just looking at it the wrong way. Here is how I see it.

R&D, Create the BASE item in Common, Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare, and Ultra Rare with abosultely no Mods on it. Ok now we have the base item.

No mods you say? I'm getting to that.

You're R&D level opens up your Mods. There's a long list of mods, so each level can reward a new Mod that is open to add to the Base item.

This is where the Mods come in to play.

Upgrading.

This should be done much like the Kits. You select the mods you want on it. Like the Modules for a Kit. You're vaguely after that Epic Upgrade. But you're Upgrading the Base Item with the Mods you have selected. This is where it will get tricky as the Tech point Cost, EC, and Dil cost will change by Mod. Meaning Mods will need a rarity level as well.

How can Mods have a rarity level?

Easy, the Tech upgrade you can make, proc as either a Tech Upgrade or a Mod upgrade item.
This way you can still get those much needed Tech Point upgrades, as well as, something like a Common Mod, we'll use [Phys], for this.

Basic Tech Upgrade [Phys], Upgrade Ground Armor to have a Physical Damage Reduction Modification. And this can be done through Varying degrees as Common, Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare, and Ultra Rare. Each one offering different degrees of physical damage reduction. With this, add int eh extra tech point, ec, and dil cost by rarity. So that it cost more to build a cmplete suit of Ultra Rare Armor with the Mods that you want. Instead of the random mods that you get just creating an item.

This will also get away from the create MkII til you get the mods you want, which could be NEVER, and in to... Ok I can now create a Base MkXIV item. I'll have to work on creating the upgrade for Tech Points and Mods. Ok now I have my Tech Points and the Mods that I want. Let me step over here and Upgrade this UR MkXIV item with these Mods.

As far as the Epic Upgrade, well make the a % chance during creation. Just like C/U/R/VR/UR.
Mm5NeXy.gif
Post edited by trennan on

Comments

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    R&D Research

I overlooked this in my last post.

This should get a tweak as well. You're researching the school that you're in. There's is a lot to do in some schools, not so much in other. But really should be broekn down in to at least Reputation Weapon/Armor/Shield types. They will not get any set bonus' like the reuptation items give. And you can break them down easily.

Research
    Federation
    Klingon
    Romulan
    Undine
    Borg
    Tholian
    Dyson
    Delta
    Iconian

Each one with its on Experience Bar. So you could just research the School to level it or the Sub-school. Granted I'd make the Sub-school available at at least level 10 in a school. This would allow people to research teh different enegy types and open them up in the schools they belong to, and who knows, maybe even add a % chance to the Tech Upgrades to proc an a Mod that the affore mentioned Reputation Enemy uses, albiet a small % chance, I wouldn't top this out at more than 5%.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You are forgetting that the system is intensionally designed to be RNG so that you have to use a lot of base mats to get the mods you want.

Its a R&D material sink, on purpose.
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It's a zen sink*

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zenn3k wrote: »
    You are forgetting that the system is intensionally designed to be RNG so that you have to use a lot of base mats to get the mods you want.

It would still be a R&D material sink. You're not guarinteed to get the Mod upgrade through the Tech Upgrade creation. Plus these also come with the EC, Dil costs as well.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think that when R&D first launched there was talk about eventually trying to make it "pick a mod" or even "edit the mods" vs. this "complete reliance on RNG" system.

Something tells me that this dynamic item system that's got a few banks / mails / exchanges broken is the first step on the way to this...

Though the track record with stuff like this (secondary deflectors, getting flanking bonuses out) means that this might be a season 12 project...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • drbiteydrbitey Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    trennan wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people asking for R&D changes. Not a bad idea, they're just looking at it the wrong way. Here is how I see it.

R&D, Create the BASE item in Common, Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare, and Ultra Rare with abosultely no Mods on it. Ok now we have the base item.

No mods you say? I'm getting to that.

You're R&D level opens up your Mods. There's a long list of mods, so each level can reward a new Mod that is open to add to the Base item.

This is where the Mods come in to play.

Upgrading.

This should be done much like the Kits. You select the mods you want on it. Like the Modules for a Kit. You're vaguely after that Epic Upgrade. But you're Upgrading the Base Item with the Mods you have selected. This is where it will get tricky as the Tech point Cost, EC, and Dil cost will change by Mod. Meaning Mods will need a rarity level as well.

How can Mods have a rarity level?

Easy, the Tech upgrade you can make, proc as either a Tech Upgrade or a Mod upgrade item.
    This way you can still get those much needed Tech Point upgrades, as well as, something like a Common Mod, we'll use [Phys], for this.

Basic Tech Upgrade [Phys], Upgrade Ground Armor to have a Physical Damage Reduction Modification. And this can be done through Varying degrees as Common, Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare, and Ultra Rare. Each one offering different degrees of physical damage reduction. With this, add int eh extra tech point, ec, and dil cost by rarity. So that it cost more to build a cmplete suit of Ultra Rare Armor with the Mods that you want. Instead of the random mods that you get just creating an item.

This will also get away from the create MkII til you get the mods you want, which could be NEVER, and in to... Ok I can now create a Base MkXIV item. I'll have to work on creating the upgrade for Tech Points and Mods. Ok now I have my Tech Points and the Mods that I want. Let me step over here and Upgrade this UR MkXIV item with these Mods.

As far as the Epic Upgrade, well make the a % chance during creation. Just like C/U/R/VR/UR.
    i have a collection of proposed solutions to this issue under "random proc crafting is horribly inefficient" i would love to have your solution added! its a great idea.
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    well something has to change because this current "well you either get [Crtd]xY or you're screwed" system is annoys the s**t out of me.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
    edited June 2015
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    It's been changed twice already, just leave it be.

so you do like to produce hundreds of garbage items until you get one with proper mods? not to mention the upgrade - where you can puor in thousands of dil and millions of ec for an item to not jump rarity at all, or get a ****ty mod and ruin the thing entirely. man, you must really like to punish yourself.
    <3 Defiant <3

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    so you do like to produce hundreds of garbage items until you get one with proper mods? not to mention the upgrade - where you can puor in thousands of dil and millions of ec for an item to not jump rarity at all, or get a ****ty mod and ruin the thing entirely. man, you must really like to punish yourself.
    Interesting way to look at it.... But.... how is that worse than the old way?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Interesting way to look at it.... But.... how is that worse than the old way?

well at least you knew what you will get for your mats (if you refer the pre-RnD-crafting). now you know the type and the mark, but not the mods, sometimes not the quality. basically the most important stats.
    <3 Defiant <3

edited June 2015
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    No I don't. But every time Cryptic "fixes" it, it only gets worse. It's what they do. Craft your "garbage" items, sell them on the exchange, and buy the items you really want, for ECs. It's what everybody else does.

the problem is, most of the time, garbage items won't sell. if even one mod isn't right you're screwed. its hard to make money when your failed attempts don't even cover the manufacturing costs (upgrade and accelerator).
    <3 Defiant <3

edited June 2015
    well at least you knew what you will get for your mats (if you refer the pre-RnD-crafting). now you know the type and the mark, but not the mods, sometimes not the quality. basically the most important stats.
    Purples were still expensive, but worse than that, purples couldn't be crafted at low levels.

Then there's the crud-tastic mod choices you were stuck with. Msot space weapons had [Acc][Dmg] just because.

so yeah, you knew what you were getting.... usually junk.

<was crafting Aegis sets before dil was added to the game*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    the problem is, most of the time, garbage items won't sell. if even one mod isn't right you're screwed. its hard to make money when your failed attempts don't even cover the manufacturing costs (upgrade and accelerator).

Indeed, this is a problem for most crafters out there, I've been upgrading the Phasers I crafted yesterday, and got a few rarity upgrades!

Yay? :D

Unfortunately. No... :(

Got a [Dmg] mod on one, [Acc] on another, and got lucky and got a [CrtD] on a third. Since, I like to keep my [Mod]'s the same across my weapons I've had to buy up three new beams and start upgrading again, and sell the failed upgrades. (Though I could probably get quite a bit for a Phaser Beam Array MK IX [CrtD]x3 [Over])

Which is the main reason I've suggested a [Mod] re-roll system... (Link is in my Signature)
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    One of the biggest obstacles of not making ALL of the crafting attempts worthless are the mere existence of the most useless mods: I'm looking at YOU PvP mods.

the fact that these are forced upon people that have no interest to PvP ever, and even if they did, their effectiveness is dubious at best, is absurd.
    T93uSC8.jpg
    edited June 2015
    One of the biggest obstacles of not making ALL of the crafting attempts worthless are the mere existence of the most useless mods: I'm looking at YOU PvP mods.

the fact that these are forced upon people that have no interest to PvP ever, and even if they did, their effectiveness is dubious at best, is absurd.
    Good news, Borticus already announced that they are going away...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Tell me about it. I crafted a Mk XII omni-directional beam array for an alt and it critted as Ultra Rare quality, but it had a stupid PvP mod on it. Strangely it sold in about an hour in the exchange for 3.5 million. I crafted another that also critted as Ultra Rare and I think it had [dmg]x2 but that's better than PvP TRIBBLE since I don't PvP so it's acceptable. I don't craft much and almost never need to buy materials and prefer to craft everything myself. I have lots and lots of materials I get across multiple characters from doff assignments and a few R&D boxes I get from lock boxes and sometimes I buy R&D packs from the exchange that come from lock boxes.

What would be nice is if we had a new right click menu for changing mods to whatever we want when we want, but it would be restricted to changing them in social zones, your ship interior, and sector space. I could have various drop down selections based on rarity of the item, similar to how we select mods in the STOAcademy skill planner. Basically you could only change equipment mods wherever you can change your traits. But that's just a fantasy. :(
    Good news, Borticus already announced that they are going away...

Do you mean PvP mods are going away? Could you post a link to where Borticus said it?

Edit: I don't think we'll ever be able to choose equipment mods in any way ever. The whole thing about R&D is that it's a sink. It takes 20 hours for projects to complete when crafting Mk XII items. It takes 15 minutes to complete when crafting superior tech upgrades. You can't select a quantity for tech upgrades and you only get 2 on a critical meaning the most you can craft at a time is 10 if you're lucky, and it takes WAY more than 10 superior tech upgrades to upgrade high mark items, especially with the lousy chance system to upgrade the quality.

Don't want to wait on any items to finish crafting? Pay upwards of 18k dilithium to finish it now. So yeah, I don't see anything changing any time soon. Another reason: not being able to choose what mods you want when crafting means you're most likely going to have to craft many many items before you get what you want, thus making you waste more EC, dil, and crafting materials for TRIBBLE mods most players wouldn't bother with.

Just my 2 EC.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Don't want to wait on any items to finish crafting? Pay upwards of 18k dilithium to finish it now. So yeah, I don't see anything changing any time soon. Another reason: not being able to choose what mods you want when crafting means you're most likely going to have to craft many many items before you get what you want, thus making you waste more EC, dil, and crafting materials for TRIBBLE mods most players wouldn't bother with.
    why not? they already removed the upgrade timers (and by extension, the finish now button)
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited June 2015
    why not? they already removed the upgrade timers (and by extension, the finish now button)

Uhh no.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1469331
    Research and Development:
    Removed the time to complete upgrading items to the next Mark.

I was talking about timers to *craft* items, not upgrade them. For example, it takes 20 hours for the project to complete when crafting an omni-directional beam array, TR116-B rifle, Aegis set items, etc., and 15 minutes to craft superior tech upgrades without being able to choose the quantity. And if you don't want to wait it costs 18k dil to finish a 20 hour project immediately for crafting an item.

Making mark upgrades on items finish right away without having to pay to "finish it now" is really nice and is what I would like them to do for crafting items.

Only having 1 doff for crafting an Aegis set means I have to either wait 3 days to craft it or pay a lot of dil to finish the projects right away, and I have done that because I needed the slots for bonus research projects to level up R&D schools.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    *snip*
    uhhh yes...if they already removed the upgrade timer, there's no reson to think they won't eventually do the same for at least SOME of the crafting timers

which is what i was getting at and which you completely failed to comprehend
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited June 2015
    uhhh yes...if they already removed the upgrade timer, there's no reson to think they won't eventually do the same for at least SOME of the crafting timers

which is what i was getting at and which you completely failed to comprehend

Don't mind me. I'm just a raving lunatic.

Yes it's possible and I hope they are at least considering options to make things at least a little easier on us. :)