test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't type...

lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
edited April 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I almost literally can't type...when I try to type in the chat boxes it will activate whatever command is bound to the letters I type.

It has gone away for now but it has popped up twice for me so far.
Post edited by lianthelia on

Comments

• midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I almost literally can't type...when I try to type in the chat boxes it will activate whatever command is bound to the letters I type.

It has gone away for now but it has popped up twice for me so far.

Depending on which commands they are activating, it could be a CTRL, Shift or Alt key that is a bit sticky on your keyboard. I'd first try tapping each of those keys a few times to ensure they are not stuck.

If that has not resolved your problem, try resetting your key binds.

Post back how you get on.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And it's back again for a 3rd time...
    edited April 2015
    And it's back again for a 3rd time...

Can you provide more information about what keys are firing which commands please?
    edited April 2015
    Can you provide more information about what keys are firing which commands please?

Like any key that has a binding linked to it...like for example even when typing in the chat box if I use m it will open or close the map or the L key opens the log. It still types the letter in chat but also activates the command bound to it.
    edited April 2015
    Like any key that has a binding linked to it...like for example even when typing in the chat box if I use m it will open or close the map or the L key opens the log. It still types the letter in chat but also activates the command bound to it.

Can you try hitting your hash key "#", this usually takes you to the chat box - lets see if that will work for you.

Can you also try resetting your HUD, just in case it is a problem related to something overlaying over the chat.
    edited April 2015
    Doesn't seem to do anything...and this thing comes and goes...I crashed and came back but it was gone...I minimized to come back here and when I brought the game back it happens again
    edited April 2015
    Doesn't seem to do anything...and this thing comes and goes...I crashed and came back but it was gone...I minimized to come back here and when I brought the game back it happens again

Do you want to try the forward slash key "/"?
    edited April 2015
    Do you want to try the forward slash key "/"?

Doesn't seem to be doing anything
  • kronosnx01kronosnx01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I had the same problem! But I can't even select items with my mouse starting with character selection screen either!
  • noctusxxxnoctusxxx Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have the exact same issue. Attemptiong to type in the chat wondow in sector space triggers what ever command is bound to the key as well as the letter in the chat window.

This makes it almost impossible to move and chat at the same time.

I will NOT throw away 5 years of keybinds for your obvious bug.

Please create a sticky for this issue.
    edited April 2015
    I've run out of ideas I'm afraid on how to fix this, I hope someone else can help you soon.
    edited April 2015
    I've run out of ideas I'm afraid on how to fix this, I hope someone else can help you soon.

Thanks for the help...like I said it comes and goes...sometimes I get lucky and it doesn't happen.
  • escaamescaam Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Same problem, when typing chat box key-binds are executed. While first log in on toon I cant type nothing on channel that on when login, changing channel will enable typing but then key binds are trigged every time you hit key on chat box that corresponds your key-binds.

Feels like chat in box cant keep it self focused and interface just catches keystrokes as they would be normal key bind commands
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    Can any of you with this issue post the contents of your keybinds.txt file?
    STO QA Team
  • hebdahebda Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Can any of you with this issue post the contents of your keybinds.txt file?

It's hasn't been a keybind issue for me, it's been an ALT-Tab issue. I don't have any issues with anything, unless I ALT-Tab out of game then come back in. If I do tab out, I have no keyboard and no mouse function. All I can do is CTRL-ALT-DEL and close STO that way and restart it.

Otherwise, I can run the game all day and night without any issues.
    “In the strict scientific sense we all feed on death…..even vegetarians.” – Spock
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hebda wrote: »
    It's hasn't been a keybind issue for me, it's been an ALT-Tab issue. I don't have any issues with anything, unless I ALT-Tab out of game then come back in. If I do tab out, I have no keyboard and no mouse function. All I can do is CTRL-ALT-DEL and close STO that way and restart it.

Otherwise, I can run the game all day and night without any issues.

This. Got the same problem. Usually I alt+tab the game after pointing the ship towards a distant sector space destination and check forums and such. After that I cant type in chat at all. If I go into bridge on a cell ship, the keys are "binded" with 2 functions... sort-of-speak. Like if I try to type in exchange the "m" key, the map opens aswell. Same for the w,a,s,d keys... char moves aswell. Then if I pug/join a ground queue, the 1,2,3... keys dont work either and cant shoot :(

Only game restart works to fix this. Its quite an annoying bug.
  • divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Had the same issue when either typing in chat or exchange search. Also noticed that hitting "Enter" which would normally allow me to go into chat instead changes display mode from "full screen" to "window maximized".

Only way I found to get rid is to close game and restart the launcher again.

As a side note, this has only happened on the ground maps for me ... so far!!

Tried resetting keybinds to default and the same thing happened ... thankfully I saved my custom keybinds.
  • divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not had this issue but have noticed that /showfps 1 no longer works.

This seems to have come over from the Tribble server where it hasn't worked since the start of sector space revamp
  • noctusxxxnoctusxxx Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Turns out my issue was tied to my use of overwolf as a teamspeak voice chat overlay. Once i turned that off things worked correctly.
  • conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have the same problem. It happens when you ALT-TAB.
    To fix it I need to change instances or go to the change character screen then log back in.
    That usually fixes it.
    I know it isn't my keyboard.