test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tour the (bigger) galaxy

taliewtaliew Member Posts: 37 Arc User
So anyone else having trouble with completing tour the galaxy now that sector space has been revamped? With my assimilated engines running at warp 14+ and the route that I had before I was able to complete it with 2 minutes to spare, now I'm lucky if I cover 65% of the sectors. Anyone able to complete it all? Any tips?
Post edited by taliew on

Comments

• Options
    j0hn41j0hn41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've equipped my ship with the Borg engines and the subsapce jump warpcore (the one from the event ship - whatever it's called). My driver coils skill is always maxed on all of my characters.

So far I've been able to get through all of the Beta Quadrant and 2 systems short of the Alpha Quadrant. I've been starting in the top right corner (Borg Space?) and weaving up and down from right to left grabbing two rows at a time, then back across, doing the same thing, until I have them all. Then I immediately transwarp to Defera, and work my way down the Alpha Quadrant the same way. By the time I'm down to the bottom I have less than a minute left to get the top row, so I slipstream up to The Breen homeworld. Can never seem to get the top row.

I'm hoping to test it with raiding party and diplomatic immunity to see if I can get any closer. I imagine there are better gear combos out there, so I wouldn't say it's impossible just yet.
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Even with asynchronous warp engines, 50% cooldown on slipstream and driver coil at maximum I still fail to reach all systems, they said they were going to adjust the time, but surprise, they didn't.
  • Options
    kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wait, it works? I tried it but it seemed like simply flying through the sectors didn't fulfill the missions. I ended up flying through the nimbus sector, entering the nimbus system and after that I just have up. :/
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kiloace wrote: »
    Wait, it works? I tried it but it seemed like simply flying through the sectors didn't fulfill the missions. I ended up flying through the nimbus sector, entering the nimbus system and after that I just have up. :/

You have to fly to the systems highlighted on the map - not just the sectors. And you have to be pretty much right next to the star of the system in question for it to count.

edit: additionally, the systems you have to visit seem to sometimes change from the last time you ran it - making a bit harder to find the optimal path.
  • Options
    sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Impossible? Hardly - you better keep practicing. It is actually pretty easy to complete both alpha and beta in the time allotted even with no transwarp. I'm making solid 13.5 minute runs for the whole thing. It's a crying shame that Cryptic didn't add any extra rewards for finishing it all - just the standard little bit of extra cxp they had at the end of the old tour.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sneyeper wrote: »
    It's a crying shame that Cryptic didn't add any extra rewards for finishing it all - just the standard little bit of extra cxp they had at the end of the old tour.

Wasn't there a trait you could earn? Or an Accolade?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Already had it, so not sure if it's still awarded, but I presume it is.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Impossible? Hardly - you better keep practicing. It is actually pretty easy to complete both alpha and beta in the time allotted even with no transwarp. I'm making solid 13.5 minute runs for the whole thing. It's a crying shame that Cryptic didn't add any extra rewards for finishing it all - just the standard little bit of extra cxp they had at the end of the old tour.

So, apart from the Borg engine & 9 points @ warp coils + Pedal to the Metal trait, what else are you using ?
    A Vesta ?

... sorry, but I'm having a bit of trouble believing your claim, 'cause if you finish this route in 13.5 minutes, you must have finished the old Tour in less than 8 minutes , and I have yet to hear anyone make that claim . Also, your "even without Transwarp" bit just made me laugh ...
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's confirmed bugged. It's supposed to be more than 15 mins.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

To be fair the ec payout is more. You get around 650k for doing the beta quadrant alone. The old one, (after they made it a daily), was capped at 475k wasn't it?
  • Options
    preikopreiko Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    ... sorry, but I'm having a bit of trouble believing your claim, 'cause if you finish this route in 13.5 minutes, you must have finished the old Tour in less than 8 minutes , and I have yet to hear anyone make that claim . Also, your "even without Transwarp" bit just made me laugh ...

i don´t know if he is able to complete it in that time
    but how do you get the conclusion that he must have finished the old one in 8 minutes ?

the old Sector Space had sooo much Loading Screens ... i don´t think you can compare that

The Thing i wanted to add

How to make you (much) faster in Sector Space
    --> feel free to complete this list

First of all
    SHIPS (with improved Slipstream Base Speed and 60 sec. Duration)

Vesta Class - 2 Console Set Bonus - "Chroniton Integrated Slipstream Drive Speeds"
    (fastest Base Speed + awesome Sector Turn Rate )
    [ http://sto.gamepedia.com/Vesta_class ]

Risian Luxery Cruiser
    [ Corvette http://sto.gamepedia.com/Risian_Luxury_Cruiser ]

Dauntless Class Experimental Science Vessel
    [ http://sto.gamepedia.com/Dauntless_Class_Experimental_Science_Vessel ]

Odyssey Cruiser - Line (All of them)
    [ http://sto.gamepedia.com/Odyssey_Star_Cruiser ]

Chimera Heavy Destroyer [Federation Veteran Ship]
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Chimera_Heavy_Destroyer

Peghqu Heavy Destroyer [Klingon Veteran Ship]
    [ http://sto.gamepedia.com/Peghqu%27_Heavy_Destroyer ]

Daeinos Heavy Destroyer [Romulan Veteran Ship]
    [ http://sto.gamepedia.com/Daeinos_Heavy_Destroyer ]

[ http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Advanced_Quantum_Slipstream_Drive ]

Sector Space - Speed Enhancements

"Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines" - most important - to exceed Warp 9.97 to 14.0
    [ http://sto.gamepedia.com/Assimilated_Borg_Technology?cookieSetup=true#Assimilated_Subtranswarp_Engines ]

Warpcore [Coil] Modifier = Depending on Warp Core Mark
    [Mk II = +5] [Mk IV = 7.5] [Mk VI = 10] [Mk VIII = 12.5] [Mk X = 15] [Mk XII = 17.5] [Mk XIV = 20]

[Mk XII with 17.5 Driver Coils + Borg Engines + ZERO Driver Coil skill pionts = 15.23]

Driver Coils - 9 / 9 = 99 Driver Coil Pionts + Borg Engine = 20.93 (without Warpcore [Coil])

Assignment: "Perform Antimatter Containment Leak Drills" --> Critical Success !!!
    [A critical success will grant a +25 buff to your Driver Coil skill.]

Diplomatic Immunity = 50 Driver Coils

Raiding Party + 50 Driver Coils

----

Everything at once improves the Driver Coil Skill to -->244 points<--
    that RESULT in = a average Sector Speed of at least 31

max Slip Stream Speed -- if i don´t miscalculated -- about -- 53

53 is 3.78 times the speed if you only use the borg engines (sector speed 14)

What did a EPIC Warp Core gain ?

There is also the possibility to use

Obelisk Subspace Rift Warp Core
    [ http://sto.gamepedia.com/Obelisk_Subspace_Rift_Warp_Core#Obelisk_Subspace_Rift_Warp_Core ]
    - reduces Slip Stream cooldown from 2 min to 1 minute
    - impoves Speed
    - improves Sector Space Turn Rate

or

Solanae_Overcharged_Warp_Core
    [ http://sto.gamepedia.com/Solanae_Hybrid_Technologies#Solanae_Overcharged_Warp_Core ]
    - Subspace Fold

i think that it should be possible, to complete Tour the Galaxy

have a nice day
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Not sure what more to add to preiko's post. Get the gear + prep (figure out your route) + practice = easy tour. I am not using everything preiko listed, so with some extra gear plus dropping in a couple transwarps and I think a sub-10 minute run is possible.

And before even asking about the route, part of prep is doing your research, so here is a hint -- tour = traveling salesman problem.
  • Options
    katweazlekatweazle Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    there is also the console from the mission delta flight Polaric Modulator which give 20% slipstream turn bonus may also help
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was pleased to discover that Cryptic executed another "stealth" update in fixing the Tour (not in the release notes, that I could find). I have found that the smoothest way to transition the waypoints is to take manual control just before arriving in the target system (auto-travel), and flying slightly under the target system. Otherwise, the AI aims directly for the center of the system, resulting in time-wasting collisions with stars and their planets.

If your ship/warp core has sufficient turn rate at slipstream speed, you can continue on toward the next waypoint without stopping, making the most of the speed burst. I still have many of my ships equipped with the Solanae cores, to take advantage of SubSpace Fold, which is now closer to a 6LY jump, instead of the 2LY jump in the tool tip.

I was also pleased to discover that the "off" switch on the QSS drive has been fixed, so you can shut down the slipstream when a sharp change of direction is needed. And although the Assimilated engines have a higher space speed, the cool-down on slipstream for Risan cruisers is 2 minutes, instead of the 1 minute other ships have. The offsetting bonus is that QSS lasts a full minute on a Risan cruiser; it's just hard to control ins some circumstances.

Payouts are also better, in the sense that rewards are given for each waypoint, with row bonuses extra. Thanks for the upgrade, Cryptic! :)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    So, apart from the Borg engine & 9 points @ warp coils + Pedal to the Metal trait, what else are you using ?
    A Vesta ?

Been watching this thread and with most of the big points mentioned in an earlier post I've made the full run in around 11 minutes. I think the only thing I could add is the doff power which would be too much work to try and get to coincide with the race. Was using 1 transwarp but having considered how sneyeper did his I moved one planet in the order and now I don't transwarp at all. My route is different to his so there are a number of ways of doing it in under 15 minutes.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I tried it with warp 15 speed engines and didn't quite finish the beta quadrant. I will try it again now that I get the idea of buzzing the systems, but for me finishing beta in 15 min at warp 15 is tight.

I do think the new tour is a Lot more fun.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    See the following bug reports:

Holodeck ticket #3,389,049: "Tour the Galaxy" still lasts only 15 minutes
    Holodeck ticket #3,389,058: Tour the Galaxy: Radii of mission objectives too small
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png