What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sector space needs more LIGHT!

1235»

Comments

• hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Sector space needs more explosions.

I want random things to explode around my ship, out of nowhere, jolting me out of my seat in complete shock. I run to the bathroom to wash my face, but I can't get that initial fear out of my system.
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hate spending more time traveling in dis-improved space... use the transwarp to mission button for a hiked fee...
    Thank you. :)
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I hadn't even notice increased transwarp costs.

Now that I don't have to go through 3-4 dialog popups and can set a direct course, I'm more distracted with setting up DOffing assignments as I pass through different regions.
    I always use dark skins before S10 because I wanted to blend in with the darkness of space.

I found the dark skins with bright windows looked awesome. It's how I made the Eclipse tolerable for me. :cool:
  • dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seriously, it does.
    Yes I know space is dark and all, but how often do you see ships flying at warp with their hulls completely darkened?

Can you boost your gamma settings?

edit: I just checked - in STO they call it "Brightness". Mine is set to 150% and everything looks nice.
  • ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Aelfwin1 posted screencaps in another thread and I was noticing he has his brightness set the same as mine (120%)but his sector space is totally darker than mine is:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23542891&postcount=83

I wonder if there's some shenanigans happening with different graphics cards processing the lighting differently?

That might be why some of us think it's fine and others are "how can you not see the problem?"

Because if my sector space looked that dark, I'd totally have a problem with it too.
  • cokebearcokebear Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Computer games are largly a VISUAL MEDIUM...

Remove the VISUAL with "Make it too dark because it's Hella-Kewl", then you have crippled the MEDIUM.

Turn the damn lights back on.

I'm sorry, but that is a ludicrous statement.

Making it darker is still a visual effect.

I simply can't get over how specious some of these arguments are. Having less light IS a visual thing as much as having more. Are you saying that black and white photographs aren't a visual medium because they don't have colour? Ansel Adams would have a bone to pick with you.

Contrast and darkness (where darkness belongs) are as important as anything in a VISUAL medium. What you're arguing is your opinion, not a reflection of the medium in any way.
  • cokebearcokebear Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Aelfwin1 posted screencaps in another thread and I was noticing he has his brightness set the same as mine (120%)but his sector space is totally darker than mine is:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23542891&postcount=83

I wonder if there's some shenanigans happening with different graphics cards processing the lighting differently?

That might be why some of us think it's fine and others are "how can you not see the problem?"

Because if my sector space looked that dark, I'd totally have a problem with it too.

Or his system settings are set much darker overall, or any other number of issues which may affect the darkness of his captures. Or, you know, not to be accusing anyone of anything, but he could be "enhancing" the pics to support his argument. One never knows.

As a photographer, I know how difficult it can be to get your video output calibrated to match what you will see on a printed page because of all the infinite combinations and permutations of hardware out there. I can almost guarantee that virtually EVERY person in Star Trek Online (or using anything else on a computer) will see a difference, subtle or extreme, depending on colour profiles, tuning, brand of video card, monitor, and even the ambient light in the location their computer sits. Even screenshots won't be identical with the same game settings because there are lots of other factors to consider, including whether the screenshot was a jpg or a png to start with.
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cokebear wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that is a ludicrous statement.

Making it darker is still a visual effect.

I simply can't get over how specious some of these arguments are. Having less light IS a visual thing as much as having more. Are you saying that black and white photographs aren't a visual medium because they don't have colour? Ansel Adams would have a bone to pick with you.

Contrast and darkness (where darkness belongs) are as important as anything in a VISUAL medium. What you're arguing is your opinion, not a reflection of the medium in any way.

I have the games gamma/brightness setting at 140%, my non blaqck ship is practically invisible except for the glow on the nacelles and the impulse engines.

Black & White photos depend as you said on CONTRAST. When you make it too dark, there is no contrast. Making something darker is a visual effect, but making it way too bloody dark is a visual fubar.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seriously, it does.
    Yes I know space is dark and all, but how often do you see ships flying at warp with their hulls completely darkened?

Not often, which is good because the less illuminated you are, the less chance an enemy has of seeing you streaking across the void.

OR DID YOU FORGET ABOUT THE RAIDERS, PIRATES, ICONIANS AND OTHER NASTY THINGS HIDING IN THE BLACKNESS OF SPACE?!

:eek:
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    In the interest of compromise, I've upped the ambient lighting a bit. It is still darker than old sector space, but lighter than it is now. I've also increased the brightness of the light put out by stars, and increased that light's radius by a hundred feet or so (roughly 1LY). I'm afraid I don't know exactly when that will make it onto Holodeck, but can we lay off the accusations until then, at least? I'm ok with people expressing their feelings about the light in sector space. I'm not ok with being called a hypocrite for doing my job.

I assume from comparing screenshots taken yesterday and today, it didn't make todays update?
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cokebear wrote: »
    Or his system settings are set much darker overall, or any other number of issues which may affect the darkness of his captures. Or, you know, not to be accusing anyone of anything, but he could be "enhancing" the pics to support his argument. One never knows.

Actually , that was the reason I included a toon on ESD , so you'd see how my PC processes a ground view . Not too bright & not too dark .

Later in that thread I also added my graphics card settings (GTX 460) .

And lastly ... , way before it became a "popular issue" here abouts , I did some comparison shots on Tribble before Season 10 shipped .

As you can see , even with the additional lighting of the Astrometrics viewing field (pic on top) , sector space is much darker then it was pre-Season 10 (bottom pic) .

Incidentally , to me it seems like our ships were lit differently , and it's not just an issue of "make sector space brighter" .
    Just a friendly reminder , this was how things looked before .
    Some ships next to yours looked brighter , others less so ... -- either due to skin choices or the lighting available on the ship itself .
    Right now (among other things) , to me it seems like the skin choices themselves became redundant in Sector Space .

... at this point I'm awaiting the changes Taco talked about ... :)
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'll be honest, I'm just bored flying around out there now. Watching a shadow tediously make it's way across the map.

Space can stay dark, all I would like to do is visually enjoy my lovely ship as it travels around the galaxy.

... Yes, I do spend most of my time in sector space.

Here are my screenshots (that I posted in the bug section on the first day of season 10) from the day before season 10 and the first day of season 10. Same ship, location, method (chat command) video settings, no processing.

Before: http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/blonderabbette/screenshot_2015-04-21-03-45-21_zpsndrvlzhh.jpg

After: http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/blonderabbette/screenshot_2015-04-21-10-51-52_zps1hzwgljm.jpg

Before: http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/blonderabbette/screenshot_2015-04-21-03-44-44_zps3l2aapwg.jpg

After: http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/blonderabbette/screenshot_2015-04-21-10-51-28_zpsseyrrsq9.jpg

It's not just a subtle difference and ship Barbie is one of the most favorite things.

This is why I was hoping something could be done to help with this problem some of us have.

Not to be a whiner or to ruin the fun of the people who like the dark setting.

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No offense Aelfwin but the lighting was fine. If you wanted to gaze upon a ship you just had to go to a star system and park where you'd get the best view.

These shots were taken around Teenibia

Side

Bottom

Forward Port angle

Above looking down

I'm not pleased with the last cuz when looking down in sector space around Teneebia the background looks like TRIBBLE.

The discussion (from my side at least) , is about how our ships look in sector space .
    Not next to a sun .
    Not next to a solar system .
    But just flying through space .

And while I appreciate your ... erm .... " sun humping (tm)(R) " pics , that (again) is not the point for me .

See , I can do it too .

But ... when I move away slightly (still within DS9) hailing range , look how things change :

With bright background .

With regular space background .

For the first shot , all I had to to was to park atop Bajor's sun .
    For the other two , I just moved a bit and changed the camera angle ... .

... point is , the darkest of the three , is what I'll be seeing the most ... , as I Doff frequently ...
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    point is , the darkest of the three , is what I'll be seeing the most[/URL] ... , as I Doff frequently ...
    So do I. In fact, it's most of what I do. And I'm vain; I love looking at my ship in sector space.

That said, I actually really like the new light level. It makes it feel more like space to me, and it enhances the feeling of being out there on my own with my crew.

I liken it to wandering around at night in games like Stalker, Fallout, or Skyrim. It's dark, and sometimes all you can see of your character is the glint of starlight on metal, or the glow of one costume piece or another.

But then in the distance you see a light source. And there's this feeling that's hard to describe when you transition from dark to light in that way... a feeling of relief or comfort, even if there's no actual danger, of emerging from the night in that way, of returning to "civilization".

I don't always get that when I'm flying around in sector space now, because let's face it--there's no risk. But I enjoy it, and I -never- used to before.

Perhaps it would be possible to add a slider in the graphics options for the ambient light level in sector space. It seems like the sort of thing that a user ought to be able to adjust anyway.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey, if you devs or just Taco depending on how these things go do decide to give into the demands of people who don't want space to look and operate like space, can you make sure to find a way to keep it like it is for those of us who enjoy the Sector Space revamp in all its glory?

I really love it and now when I'm flying through space I feel like it is how it should be and how it would be in the opening shot of the ship during the show (except that it's not greatly lit, but not a biggie.).

I like that you only get good lighting coming from a star if you pull up really close to it.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    I assume from comparing screenshots taken yesterday and today, it didn't make todays update?

No, it does not appear to have been in yesterday's build. The Warp Streaks have also been fixed, and also did not make it into yesterday's build. I expect (but can't guarantee) that when you see one, you will see the other.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sad to hear of these changes. I love the sector space as it is right now. I may as well be Reman with my sensitivity to light/migraines. The darkness was welcomed. It's too bright here!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sad to hear of these changes. I love the sector space as it is right now. I may as well be Reman with my sensitivity to light/migraines. The darkness was welcomed. It's too bright here!
    Likewise. I'm sure I'll live with it. Ideally I'd like there to be some kind of slider for ambient sector space light so that everyone gets what they want.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    there is a brightness slider under the display tab; if it turns out too bright for you after the change goes live, you could always turn it down a few %

of course, that will alter brightness everywhere, but if you're photosensitive, you'd want that anyway
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Seriously, it does.

That aside, the stars lighting is way to weak, and won't illuminate a ships hull until your almost on top of it.
    Even pluto at the furtest reaches of our solar system recieves enough illumination to be seen with an optical telescope.

You can stop whinging now.
    The lighting has been adjusted throughout Sector Space.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
    edited May 2015
    a3001 wrote: »
    You can stop whinging now.

Gee, thanks, we can stop complaining because there is claimed to be a fix on TRIBBLE...

I'll wait to see if the fix IS a fix, when or if it reaches the main non test game...
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    Supposedly this change is up on Tribble at this point, so please feel free to check it out there and compare with Holodeck.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg