test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Coming back to STO

sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
While I still maintain my position of not spending a single penny on this game until they start focusing more on playable content than heavily indirectly-monetized grindfests, I have found myself longing to step back into the boots of Vice Admiral Samuel J. Stone, my main character since launch. I don't know how long I'll hang around this time. but I am in the process of re-downloading the game (previous PC died) and I am patching now. At least I upgraded my bandwidth from 1.5mb/s to 10mb/s so the process will be significantly shorter.

I look forward to getting back in-game.

LLAP
\\//,
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone
Post edited by sirsitsalot on

Comments

• pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While I still maintain my position of not spending a single penny on this game until they start focusing more on playable content than heavily indirectly-monetized grindfests, I have found myself longing to step back into the boots of Vice Admiral Samuel J. Stone, my main character since launch. I don't know how long I'll hang around this time. but I am in the process of re-downloading the game (previous PC died) and I am patching now. At least I upgraded my bandwidth from 1.5mb/s to 10mb/s so the process will be significantly shorter.

LLAP
    \\//,
    Welcome back!

Sector Space is going to be realllllly different considering we just overhauled it. But enjoy some of our new episodes we've launched recently, as well as a bunch of other content. :3
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you stopped playing before Delta Rising (Season 9.5), then you are going to see significant changes to the game. Max level has increased to 60 and Tier 6 ships have been introduced. As you approach level 60 enemies become more difficult to kill because they have more hit points, do more damage, and they actually use some abilities from time to time.

STFs have increased in difficulty. Normal STFs are more or the same now as they were before Delta Rising. Advanced STFs have replaced the "Old Elite STFs" and they are at level 60 difficulty. The "New Elite STFs" are nightmarish. I do not play them, but I am guessing starships need to do at least 50k DPS to have a decent chance of winning.

Tetryon beams will fully drain you shields within seconds. This means the Borg are more deadly than before. I actually like this change because it makes them to be a deadly foe once again rather than just a joke.

Overall, I still like STO, but I have to admit that I liked it better before Delta Rising was released because back then the STF queues were a lot more active than it currently is.
    edited April 2015
    Be aware that Season 10 just launched yesterday so there is bound to some technical issues with the game. That is why there is an emergency patch today and it may take a few weekly maintenance patches before many of the pesky minor issue can be addressed.

Also, you should know that leveling up beyond level 55 will be a grind due to increasing amount of XP required to advance to the next level. Then their are the Captain Specialization Points... you get one point for every level beyond 50. I think you can receive up to 50 Captain Spec Points (not sure) so technically the max level is not level 60, but it is level 100.
  • tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited April 2015

LLAP
    \\//,

Welcome back!

Bro, yer gonna love the game now man. Please, please, please, DO NOT listen to the negativity on the forums about the game and "Delta Rising", or "Cash grabs". The people that "complain" about stuff, simply do not "grasp" the new stuff.

Its is easier then ever to get yer stuff for free, trust me dude. What your going to want to do, is find good guides on how to do it, these wont be found here, they will be found, at decent fleets websites.

It is like Pre-delta rising, 80% of the game could not do 10k DPS. Now yer stuck doing adavnced or normals, if your TEAM cannot work together on elites.

It takes a certain level of skill now to play the game. Its not just pew pew berg anymore either.

As well, Elite ques reward the most, so do not rely on looking at the quick join que numbers, as a way to see if the game is "active". There are a LOT of channels now, where people work together from to avoid noobish mistakes when doing elites.

1 TRIBBLE up its game over, in an elite. :D I love it!
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While I still maintain my position of not spending a single penny on this game until they start focusing more on playable content than heavily indirectly-monetized grindfests,
    You are not going to like DR then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Roll a Delta Recruit and complete the recruit stuff. Mine is 48 and I already have 70+k dil (50k fleet only), 1700 FM, and 3 mil EC. Plus the rewards fom the Temporl liason dude are account wide unlocks. Also you get GUmarre with the R&D unlocks.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Welcome back!

This happens to be the very best time to make one or more Delta Recruits to play alongside your main as you also get 1 additional free character slot. More on the rewards in the official blog. There's no time limit on when you can finish the storyline with them, but when the event is over, no new characters will be delta recruits.

Another important element is finding channels, friends, and fleets that suit you, and avoid or keep interactions to a minimum everywhere else, as there's no shortage of all forms of negativity.

Finally, consider KDF & ROM factions as well, as so far each new C-Store release has had an equal share of ships per factions despite fully saturating the cruiser market.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    edited April 2015
    Welcome back!

This happens to be the very best time to make one or more Delta Recruits to play alongside your main as you also get 1 additional free character slot. More on the rewards in the official blog. There's no time limit on when you can finish the storyline with them, but when the event is over, no new characters will be delta recruits.

Just to clarify, the Delta Recruitment Event ends on May 21st, 2015 when Cryptic performs it's weekly maintenance. That means you need to create your Delta Recruit and complete the tutorial before that happens. Once your Delta Recruit has completed the tutorial you can play the game and collect Delta Recruit rewards at your leisure.