test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Iconians not originally evil?

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
Spoilers for one of the new missions.

In "Blood of the Ancients" when the player goes to the Preserver archive, the Preserver you meet says that the Iconians "used to be brighter", but that the war changed them.

Could this be Cryptic slightly taking some of the Star Trek novel's canon, in that the Iconians use to be far nicer, and the races that destroyed them did so only because they were jealous of the Iconian's power?
Post edited by somtaawkhar on

Comments

• benben500benben500 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Didn't they say in TNG that the Iconians might not have been evil? There was a "history is written by the victors" theme in it.

I thought that the super evil Iconians was just Cryptic's thing.
    "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."
    -Edmund Blackadder-
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    All power corrupts... Absolute power corrupts absolutely...

The Iconian War storyline echoes more and more of Babylon 5's underlying story, the more I hear...

The Shadows and Vorlons remained after the other First Ones left our galaxy in order to 'teach' and guide the younger races, but ideological differences resulted in them turning on each other and manipulating those younger races against each other, all to prove their ideology the 'right' one...

I was left with the impression that the Iconians were amongst the first races the Preservers created/nurtured and were supposed to be shepards for the others to follow, but instead they became overlords enslaving those younger races, resulting in the rebellion against them...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • darkenviousdarkenvious Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I to got that the impression from the preserver that the iconians originally weren't evil but the war that they fought changed them that the other races were jealous of the iconians. Another thing that I'm wondering is that the preserver said that he would get something for you that i'm guessing was suppose to help against the iconians, I wondering if it was an item or information while you protect the preserver against the heralds.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    used to be brighter could mean anything, they maybe have been exceptionally bright, creul and manipulative (and a disasterous combination) back when they were first created, being treated and then spoiled rotten. then the preservors created other races and that dark streak inside the iconians revealed itself in a horrible jealous streak that the preservors may have unintentially programmed into the iconian genome.

it may have been a biased point of view, but without multiple sources to work from, its impossible to gauge what the iconians were like before they did all this.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From what I see, I believe they were always evil but didn't really have anything to hate/enslave/destroy because they were better and smarter in everything.

However, I think they loved their parents until the Preservers created and sided with the other children (or at least didn't do anything to protect/help/side with the Iconians), which then left them bitter and even more hateful.

It looks like the Iconians were already planning to destroy them but still had some respect for them as M'Tara says she'd take no joy in killing them, but still went through it nearly without hesitation after making her entrance and speech.

Maybe they know everyone hated and still hate them and that their parents consider them lost but they don't care anymore, they just want "their" galaxy back at any cost.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    That's the point though. It is implied, in 'Blood of the Anicents', that they were not always 'evil' (though that word is not used).

The implication seems to be that something happened, they went to war. Said war was, obviously, not elaborated upon but it would be fair to assume that the Iconian's malevolence was/is a by-product of said conflict.

I'm pretty sure we'll learn that the Iconians went bad after they got sick of grinding for specialization points.
  • valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I dont know if I can take the Preservers word or not.

The Iconians are known to have been able to move from place to place with little effort. According to the lore they were able to enslave a lot of species through this method. The fact that the Iconians still have servitor races, namely the Herald which are a lesser Iconian species, doing their bidding and fully aware of what they are doing and why. Makes me think the Iconians have been in the slave business since the Preservers gave the Iconians brothers and sisters.

The Preserver saying 'The younger races were jealous of the Iconians' sounds more like a Parent telling others their child is innocent and misunderstood when in reality, that child really is the bad apple.

It sounds to me more like the Preservers have a bit of a soft spot for their first child. And want to believe regardless of what the Iconians do that they will eventually out grow their bad behavior.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I dont know if I can take the Preservers word or not.

The Iconians are known to have been able to move from place to place with little effort. According to the lore they were able to enslave a lot of species through this method. The fact that the Iconians still have servitor races, namely the Herald which are a lesser Iconian species, doing their bidding and fully aware of what they are doing and why. Makes me think the Iconians have been in the slave business since the Preservers gave the Iconians brothers and sisters.

The Preserver saying 'The younger races were jealous of the Iconians' sounds more like a Parent telling others their child is innocent and misunderstood when in reality, that child really is the bad apple.

It sounds to me more like the Preservers have a bit of a soft spot for their first child. And want to believe regardless of what the Iconians do that they will eventually out grow their bad behavior.

Maybe but didn't the Prophets or the Guardians of Forever imply that we will eventually have to reconcile with the Iconians?
  • valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe but didn't the Prophets or the Guardians of Forever imply that we will eventually have to reconcile with the Iconians?

I dont recall seeing that at all. I guess when I run through my other two DRs Ill try to pay more attention to that part of the the dialogue.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Iconians being "evil" is so absurdly simplistic I was glad to see the Preservers gave us a different picture, and something that has been really bugging me about the entire buildup for years with nothing portraying them as more than villains.

Hopefully we will learn more as the plot progresses and the writers will avoid any simplistic nonsense of good v evil and deliver a species that is complex with a believable history.
  • zaynarzaynar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    One thing I noticed while playing the most recent episodes, and the ques, is that we only seem to see 1 Iconian. We've been told that the Iconians are few in number, so what if this whole war is only with 1 Iconian or a small group of Iconians.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Iconians being "evil" is so absurdly simplistic I was glad to see the Preservers gave us a different picture, and something that has been really bugging me about the entire buildup for years with nothing portraying them as more than villains.

Well, it would have been nice for a change to have some vilian who is the personification of evil. Its just like all those superhero stuff where most vilians werent bad at the beginning, but after some bull**** happened, went all crazy.
    Just once a real personification of evil would be nice. Someone who was born evil, did evil and believes he is right to do so.

This BS "Went bad after a bad experience" is so stale...
  • taliewtaliew Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    didn't the iconian at the hend of the episode say she didn't have a choice?
    edited April 2015
    taliew wrote: »

Of course not. If she didnt killed the preserver and destroyed the archive, the might have helped us and that would be bad of the Iconians. So the only way to handle this in the Iconians favor is how she handled it.

Its kinda like you break into an jewel shop, but are seen, so the only choice you have to not go to jail is to kill. You know how those CSI-Series go ;)
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Spoilers for one of the new missions.

In "Blood of the Ancients" when the player goes to the Preserver archive, the Preserver you meet says that the Iconians "used to be brighter", but that the war changed them.

Could this be Cryptic slightly taking some of the Star Trek novel's canon, in that the Iconians use to be far nicer, and the races that destroyed them did so only because they were jealous of the Iconian's power?
    that would also explain where did all those winners go. after iconias were gone they got back to their savage behavior and they fought untill there was no one left.
    i am expecting we will not win agains iconians but thy will simply realise they should move forward like preservers or maybe to some other galaxy.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    taliew wrote: »

Play Halo 4, the bad guy there has the same motivations (and more dialog so far.)

The iconians were masters/care takers of the galaxy but they had the mantle of responsibility taken away from them (perhaps because they view super-weapons and bio-engineered brain parasites as viable solutions to large scale social problems.) However after their exile they haven't really learned anything so here comes the Master Chief / Captain James T. Picard Jr. to explain things to them with guns.
    binebane wrote: »
    that would also explain where did all those winners go. after iconias were gone they got back to their savage behavior and they fought untill there was no one left.

That or they just got on with life. A civilization might not remember what it was up to 200,000 years ago.

Also, I'd expect this to be the incoming sub-plot / how we beat the iconians assuming the power of galactic friendship isn't the solution to this war too.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Iconian's apparently haven't been breeding in over 200,000 or so years. No wonder they are evil, going without all that time, that is enough to turn anyone evil. :D
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Iconians are "Children"

They are just naughty misbehaving ancient beings... need a good slappa slappa to set em straight
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    svindal777 wrote: »
    The Iconian's apparently haven't been breeding in over 200,000 or so years. No wonder they are evil, going without all that time, that is enough to turn anyone evil. :D

They have, its just that the species has changed a lot in 200,000 years. The original iconians are great big floating chaos demons. Modern iconians on the other hand...well they're small, fluffy, hog nosed, and we've been helping them to breed quite a lot since discovering New Romulus.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am certain Iconians were like everyone else. Some were evil, some were good, most were indifferent and could go either way depending on what everyone else around them was doing and how much alcohol they had that day. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Well, it would have been nice for a change to have some vilian who is the personification of evil. Its just like all those superhero stuff where most vilians werent bad at the beginning, but after some bull**** happened, went all crazy.
    Just once a real personification of evil would be nice. Someone who was born evil, did evil and believes he is right to do so.

This BS "Went bad after a bad experience" is so stale...

That kind of nonsense is unbelievable though. I'd rather have a realistic, believable universe than a silly simplistic one where everything is black and white.
  • philiptoddphiliptodd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I expect that while season 10 will not solve the whole iconian situation, I do expect that at the end of this conflict we will discover that the group of Iconian's we've been fighting is not the whole of the Iconian race.
    Don't expect either that season 11 will have anything new or at least anything apparently new attached to the whole Iconian conflict. As I believe that the dev's and writer's will return to some of the other running plots and build upon them.
    edited April 2015
    That kind of nonsense is unbelievable though. I'd rather have a realistic, believable universe than a silly simplistic one where everything is black and white.

Well, it can happen, cant it? Even if everything is a shade of grey, there will be a shade that will be fairly black.
    The whole "went from good to evil" is all you usually get. Like in the last spiderman film, were electro went from a wimp with superpowers to the vengence seaking destroyer, thats pretty much the story of every superhero vilian out there.

If there are such being as the Organians, inherently good, there have to be beings on the oposite of the spectrum. How was it "For every julian bashir we get a Khan noonien Singh", or for our world Mandela and Hitler.