test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The New Sector Space

goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
In a word...BRILLIANT! This really gave me the feel of space being vast. And when I was warping around, I was getting distress calls about the Borg and the Tholians...AWESOME! It felt so much more like Star Trek I was floored! Now players will really appreciate a faster cool down on their transwarp drive.
klingon-bridge.jpg

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    goodscotch wrote: »
    In a word...BRILLIANT! This really gave me the feel of space being vast. And when I was warping around, I was getting distress calls about the Borg and the Tholians...AWESOME! It felt so much more like Star Trek I was floored! Now players will really appreciate a faster cool down on their transwarp drive.

Not to mention I can finally take full advantage of the advanced quantum slip stream drive now. Without clearing the length of Sirius and wasting almost half of it.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It is a welcome change to the game. Very welcome.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As the advantages - scaling looks great, speed of the ships is more realistic and there is a dynamic change to the better. - That is the thing which makes stuff shine.

The disadvantages - those blocks which were basically loading time had a optimising advantage for lower computers. Having big splits on the map makes the lower specs move bad, therefore making up for the lack of some loading time with constant lower frames and worse gameplay experience. To be honest the old blocks were better. Had a specific charm and technical advantage. Written upper.

Without ignoring the massive work of the staff and devs, I'd vote with the same scaling and ship speed in sector space, but you should get more block sections for the sake of performance and organisation, at the price of a cut from the realistic feeling of a lesser fragmentated space.
  • Options
    truemalevolencetruemalevolence Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's great that the walls are down but sector space really could do with some extra polish.

• I like it being dark but you would have some ambient light from one direction

• Planets should scale down same as the stars do, it looks odd when the planets just pop into existence as you get closer

• Warp streaks as you move should be put back in

• Star systems should be more visible from further away

• Could do with some color back in the galaxy, just some large nebulas tinted green in Romulan space ect. to give you a better sense of movement
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Love it too. It is also cheaper. I don't mind sitting out the flight. I just found the pop up for the transwarp to another sector irritating.

Just a question. Are there still sector blocks for the factions, KDF not in Sirius, no Fed in Omega Leonis?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    casualsto wrote: »
    ...The disadvantages - those blocks which were basically loading time had a optimising advantage for lower computers. Having big splits on the map makes the lower specs move bad, therefore making up for the lack of some loading time with constant lower frames and worse gameplay experience. To be honest the old blocks were better. Had a specific charm and technical advantage. Written upper.

Sorry, can't let this go. This is a game. Go purchase a gaming PC with specs that can run it at least decently. You can't fault the developers for making a game that then requires a bit of horsepower from the end users PC that's going to run it. And I said a bit...not much really.

I downloaded Season 10 last night and was warping around the galaxy without a hitch. AMD Quad Core 3.8GHz, 8GB's of RAM, middle of the road video card with decent amount of memory. All in all, nowhere nears a top of the line gaming rig. Game runs fine and looks good. I bought this PC on NewEgg for $425...dirt cheap!

Not sure what you're running this on, but everything ran smoothly for me on a middle of the road gaming PC. And calling my PC a middle of the road gaming PC is being generous because it's nowhere nears high end and was inexpensive to boot.

The developers can't take the limited capabilities of low end PC's into account when they try to make the game better. They might as well throw in the towel if they have to use this as a criteria for what changes they can and can't make.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    taliewtaliew Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I didn't notice, couldn't play long enough last night, but do they still have the nebula effects like the badlands where it looked like you were inside an orange cloud?
  • Options
    abqapacheabqapache Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, count me squarely in the camp that likes this change.

Also, did anyone else notice we now have Betazed, Trill, Ferenginar, Breen, and other planets that were added to the game? I hope this means they will be visitable in the future. :D
  • Options
    elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would love to but Taco mentioned they were added just for Foundry stuff :mad:
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Love the new sector space myself.... it feels more trekish. Vast open space, don't se crowds of ships everywhere.... I can traverse large distances with no transitioning, slipstream seems more usefull.
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    *snip*
    The developers can't take the limited capabilities of low end PC's into account when they try to make the game better. They might as well throw in the towel if they have to use this as a criteria for what changes they can and can't make.

Yes... and NO...

Scumsoft release Flogburster V, specs start at current 'standard pc' game costs 40 quid, you finish the game in a few weeks and uninstall to make space for the next new "must play" game, one time purchase, your target market is "leet gamerz" who dont mind dropping 40 quid on this months game and who wont be playing it 2 months from now.

Long running MMO's need to keep existing players and convince them to spend money ON THE ADDONS. 400-500 quid for a new Gamerz-Box to play the new season = 400-500 quid you don't have for Elite-Store/Subscriptions/DLC etc...

Do you drop 4-500 on a new box for the new season or drop 40-50 on another disposable game, that might last you longer than the new replay value in the new season .
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yes... and NO...

Scumsoft release Flogburster V, specs start at current 'standard pc' game costs 40 quid, you finish the game in a few weeks and uninstall to make space for the next new "must play" game, one time purchase, your target market is "leet gamerz" who dont mind dropping 40 quid on this months game and who wont be playing it 2 months from now.

Long running MMO's need to keep existing players and convince them to spend money ON THE ADDONS. 400-500 quid for a new Gamerz-Box to play the new season = 400-500 quid you don't have for Elite-Store/Subscriptions/DLC etc...

Do you drop 4-500 on a new box for the new season or drop 40-50 on another disposable game, that might last you longer than the new replay value in the new season .

It's up to you what you do with your money. But my hope for a game that I play is that the developers will continue to improve it, not dumb it down or keep it where it's at so someone playing it on a 2GHz dual core with 2GB's of RAM with motherboard video can play.

This is all opinion of course, but I find this argument unreasonable. Having been on these forums for quite some time and having read so many complaints about the game...and I made some myself...and then they finally do something really good and someone jumps on it and says, my PC is slow so this is no good. Damned if they do and damned if they don't I guess.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    It's up to you what you do with your money. But my hope for a game that I play is that the developers will continue to improve it, not dumb it down or keep it where it's at so someone playing it on a 2GHz dual core and 2GB's of RAM with motherboard video can play.

This is all opinion of course, but I find this argument unreasonable. Having been on these forums for quite some time and having read so many complaints about the game...and I made some myself...and then they finally do something really good and someone jumps on it and says, my PC is slow so this is no good. Damned if they do and damned if they don't I guess.

Its for this exact reason why we have customizable graphics options, The amount of people I've seen and spoke to that are running a dual core PC with minimum amount of memory and GPU's that are several years old and expect to run everything setting on max, then complain why things are jerky is unbelievable . I will concede that the minimum requirements for the game, may need updating since I don't think they've been done since game launch (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I enjoyed a few nice features , like "unknow nebula" (something that I flew by , scanned and it gave me a few crafting mats) , and those shifting encounters that are actually new PVE content .

... but man do I hate the "realistic" lighting of my ship ...