test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sector space needs more LIGHT!

senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Seriously, it does.
Yes I know space is dark and all, but how often do you see ships flying at warp with their hulls completely darkened?

That aside, the stars lighting is way to weak, and won't illuminate a ships hull until your almost on top of it.
Even pluto at the furtest reaches of our solar system recieves enough illumination to be seen with an optical telescope.
Post edited by senatorvreenak on

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Um...its space?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Boh, It's a bit of getting used to the new map, but once I got it, I turn ship, hit full speed, and I go look for music until I arrive.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Incidentally, also noticed that bloom, even at full and on high settings, seems practically non-existent now in sector space. Its "absence" is particularly noticeable on your ships warp nacelles.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • bravecatherinebravecatherine Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I love the haunting feeling the new map have now.Everytime i found a new planet now is "GOD IS THAT YOU?":P
  • ammianusammianus Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I do know that this is space, and that space is dark, and cold and whatever. But it would be nice if the next patch lightened the space area just a bit. Not like it was before the walls fell, but enough that we can appreciate our hard earned ships..
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd have to agree, especially when I'm in my Recluse which practically blends in with the surrounding space. :(
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Um...its space?

Tell that to Star Trek! :P
    The only time in canon trek it was ever this dark was in the Void.
  • valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seriously, it does.
    Yes I know space is dark and all, but how often do you see ships flying at warp with their hulls completely darkened?

That aside, the stars lighting is way to weak, and won't illuminate a ships hull until your almost on top of it.
    Even pluto at the furtest reaches of our solar system recieves enough illumination to be seen with an optical telescope.

While I can see where youre coming from and at any other time would be inclined to agree. I feel like the darkness is great for the current situation we're in.

The Iconians have returned and a darkness has fallen over the Alpha and Beta Quadrant.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While I can see where youre coming from and at any other time would be inclined to agree. I feel like the darkness is great for the current situation we're in.

The Iconians have returned and a darkness has fallen over the Alpha and Beta Quadrant.
    Yeah, but if you happen to use a darker-skinned ship it becomes a problem against a very dark background.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • phreskophresko Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ammianus wrote: »
    I do know that this is space, and that space is dark, and cold and whatever.

It's also big, Really big!
    edited April 2015
    It can be cold and big. It just needs to be a tad lighter. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I kinda like the darker sector space. To me, that is the way that the ships SHOULD look while traveling between the stars. If they do want to change it to make it brighter, then there MUST be an option for darker or lighter sector space. That it the ONE thing that I actually like about the sector space change. Otherwise, dropping the walls in sector space, to me, was a waste of time and resources that could have been used for bug fixes.
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like it, means I can stick the black skin on the Avenger and go all space camo on the Heralds :P.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    Tell that to Star Trek! :P
    The only time in canon trek it was ever this dark was in the Void.

True, but every shot of every ship in Star Trek had a light being cast on the ship from NOWHERE.

That's easy to do when you're working in a camera. That's much harder to do when you have a full 360* view of your ship.

Previously, the ambient was just cranked way up. I wanted space to feel darker, and more realistic. This was also done to make flying near systems cooler. The lighting from Stars should reach the outer edges of any system you fly to. It will be brighter near the star than it is at the edges. You should be able to see your ship just fine within a system.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    True, but every shot of every ship in Star Trek had a light being cast on the ship from NOWHERE.

That's easy to do when you're working in a camera. That's much harder to do when you have a full 360* view of your ship.

Previously, the ambient was just cranked way up. I wanted space to feel darker, and more realistic. This was also done to make flying near systems cooler. The lighting from Stars should reach the outer edges of any system you fly to. It will be brighter near the star than it is at the edges. You should be able to see your ship just fine within a system.

Realism Isn't always the best way to go, and its also hard to say what is realistic as well.
    Our galaxy is littered with light sources, yet because they are so far away, much more intense closer light sources such as our sun, and even the earth itself are many times brighter.
    And the reality is that both our eyes and cameras have to deal with "contrast" Even then on a clear night far away from cities you can still see the milky way galaxy bright as day, and that light is further filtered and diffused by our atmosphere.

So assuming we ever leave our solar system and travel into interstellar space, ambient light from our galaxy may be percieved in an entire different manner by human eyes.

Point is, its just "too dark" and does not feel very Star Trek like.
    Even having the stars start casting a bit of light much further away may be a huge improvement, and give more of that "directional light" feel we get in the flyby shots on the shows.
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    edited April 2015
    IF YOU DO NOT PUT MORE LIGHT IN SECTOR SPACE IMMEDIATELY I AM GOING TO GO AND PLAY GTA V!!!!!!!!!!

Oops! Nerd rage got away from me. :)
    edited April 2015
    Point is, its just "too dark" and does not feel very Star Trek like.

But what's "Star Trek" like in this case is based on the needs/constraints of a TV production.

1. They couldn't spend time/money to "pointlessly" vary the lighting for every single establishing shot (so ST just had miscellaneous ambient lighting, even for DS9).
    2. They needed to show off the ship/station within the very short duration of those select few establishing shots. So that magic lighting was set quite ridculously high.

Get away from TV production and both of those factors drop away immediately (its more appropriate to light ships according to point sources in the game world, and we don't need to have a glaring establishing shot as our baseline for interstellar space.) What we have in the new sector block works better for STO (the new lighting builds a complimentary setting for sector space travel [dark, restrained] while still ramping up when necessary for in-system content.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »

I think turning up our running lights a bit would help and leave the overall lighting on sector space as it is.

That would be a nice touch.
  • spergasspergas Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I understand your point and I totally agree with you. I felt like i was the U.S.S. Jenolan when my ship arrived at the Jenolan Dyson sphere. I literally couldn't see the sphere, luckily my ship didn't crash on the surface.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Nearly every starship that you ever saw on any Sci-Fi medium through out your entire life were artificially illuminated for the viewer experience .
    Your first work on STO (revamping the DS9 exterior) was done "to make it look like the show" .

Not really .
    (bottom pic is what we used to have)

... not sure what else to say that can be construed as polite ...
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The lighting from Stars should reach the outer edges of any system you fly to. It will be brighter near the star than it is at the edges. You should be able to see your ship just fine within a system.

^^This

The lighting effect i got when i got near the bajor sector was stunning.

Granted space is darker and a lot more lonely which i adore, feels more like well space, and i love how i never run into about 500 ships every few seconds.

While i haven't played the new episode yet i still think this is the best thing out of season 10 so far.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    edited April 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Nearly every starship that you ever saw on any Sci-Fi medium through out your entire life were artificially illuminated for the viewer experience.

That viewer having experienced those shot for perhaps between 3-10 seconds. Photo-shoot lighting helps in that case but over the course of a video game the viewer is seeing something quite different.

Ships, yes, but ships over time.
  • dukhattdukhatt Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seriously, it does.

I fully agree to this.
  • drokar2012drokar2012 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Really, you should light it up a bit, it is too dark. It is really hard to see my Defiant out in sector space.