test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Heralds: Was that it?

warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
I finished the new episodes. So how did those much-hyped Iconian magitek super soldiers and their so-many-they're-blotting-out-the-sun fleets of magitek super ships turn out? Cannon fodder.

They are in fact average at best in offensive and defensive ability, and don't appear in larger numbers than usual either. The Elachi put out far larger fleets in their arc. Their only advantage is a few new space magic tricks (and a few old ones they copied from us, the player characters).

Was that really it?

If it was, then it appears the great Iconian threat lives only in cutscenes.
Post edited by warpangel on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They brought a sword to a gun fight.
  • sysil84sysil84 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2015

That's generous. I would have said they brought a stick to a starship fight.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To be fair on was expecting fights on scale of Starbase 24. :(

Or even the battle with the Undine in Surface Tension.
    In fact the heralds are much much weaker than the Undine and more "annoying" than anything.
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh come on..... try them on advanced or elite. have fun with that.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sysil84 wrote: »
    That's generous. I would have said they brought a stick to a starship fight.

I was thinking more about Ground...saying they even brought a stick to Space would be generous.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If they made them any more difficult, there wouldn't enough WHAAAAAmbulances in the world to contain the tears.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am not one to get over critical, but after playing the first mission I put my head down on the desk and quietly asked the universe "what the hell was that?" SPOILER ALERT

So in 2409 or so our captains discover the Preservers, the peaceful progenitor race, first born sentient all knowing space godfathers of all younger species, where we never asked them anything about Iconians? We took no actions at all to wake up one of these great persons to learn, ask questions, prepare? And then here comes the Iconians might Heralds, weak cannon fodder constructs, which we mow down, defending a Preserver while he tries to get us answers we should already have obtained, who is utterly and instantly defeated by a real Iconians in an instant? And then destroys the entire Lanaes system and the Preservers? Dammit all to...

What kind of a story is this and who wrote this garbage of a story?! I am so beyond disappointed. And worse, the Heralds are all too similar to the magic wielding minions of Champions Online Qliphothic realm. Developers, you have got to be ...what are you thinking with presenting this story a 9 year old wouldn't buy?!

Now, it's fairly obvious we have to alter time to save our universe by reversing events. The Delta Recruit temporal arc proves this. But why does this have to be done so poorly.

I'm done. I guess the choice is just play the game and try to ignore the disappointment.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Sword wins if you're fighting at less than ~20ft.

And most people can't hit a target at greater than 20ft, anyway.
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    And worse, the Heralds are all too similar to the magic wielding minions of Champions Online Qliphothic realm.
    I guess that's how they're realizing cost savings.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They are decent enemies in space elite, spamming the map with deactivating stuff and having high resistencies. Unfortunately they have a very, very weak punch, so even if you are totally deactivated, chances are quite high 3-4 of their battleships wont kill you.

They need a buff for attackpower, else its not a difficult, just tedious mission in space.
  • crusader0007crusader0007 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Borgs should have been the ultimate baddies. Anything less than a Borg is easily beaten :D

Would they be saving these ultimate baddies for S11?
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Generally going to agree with you on all these points.

Me too, I mean, seriously?! We failed to ask them the most important captain obvious question all this time before the invasion happened and now we go rushing to them for answers when it's too late? It's bad enough plots tend to make our captains look like blind idiots at times, but this makes the alliance look even more stupid!
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm a little surprised they don't seem to have any of those 'immune to the usual counters' like the Vaadwaur do with the Constriction Anchor ignoring Polarize Hull. Not that I'm complaining; mobs should have to follow the same rules as everyone else. Besides, they still have their annoyance factor with that Ionic Turbulence + Tractor Beam + Subnuc Field combo they have. Its a lot like fighting Tholians really. Would have liked bigger fleets though; it just didn't feel like the giant OMG ITS THE END OF EVERYTHING!!!! like the dialogue was suggesting.

Ground is weird though. On one hand totally manageable (and I'll freely admit I'm flat-out bad at ground) so long as you pay attention to your positioning. But on the other BOFF AI seems to keep standing in the way of the AOE stuff and suiciding. I guess it'll be different in the queued stuff when they don't need management, but especially in the first mission I kept rolling my eyes with 'are you idiots dead again?'
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Those Heralds were chumps. Now they're chunks.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Tell you what, fire up the Foundry and create your own missions, then please post details here for all of us to try. I, for one, look forward to seeing what you come up with, then swiftly mocking and crapping all over it on the forums.

So go ahead, write your own material and allow us to "enjoy" it.

Suppose I could do something about the Breen knowing they were coming. Hence why Thot whatever his name was. Was going mad looking for super weapons.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am not one to get over critical, but after playing the first mission I put my head down on the desk and quietly asked the universe "what the hell was that?" SPOILER ALERT

So in 2409 or so our captains discover the Preservers, the peaceful progenitor race, first born sentient all knowing space godfathers of all younger species, where we never asked them anything about Iconians? We took no actions at all to wake up one of these great persons to learn, ask questions, prepare? And then here comes the Iconians might Heralds, weak cannon fodder constructs, which we mow down, defending a Preserver while he tries to get us answers we should already have obtained, who is utterly and instantly defeated by a real Iconians in an instant? And then destroys the entire Lanaes system and the Preservers? Dammit all to...

What kind of a story is this and who wrote this garbage of a story?! I am so beyond disappointed. And worse, the Heralds are all too similar to the magic wielding minions of Champions Online Qliphothic realm. Developers, you have got to be ...what are you thinking with presenting this story a 9 year old wouldn't buy?!

Now, it's fairly obvious we have to alter time to save our universe by reversing events. The Delta Recruit temporal arc proves this. But why does this have to be done so poorly.

I'm done. I guess the choice is just play the game and try to ignore the disappointment.

Am with you on this one........ I couldn't believe what I just played. I have to ask this, so if we do not create a delta recruit how is one going to alter time to save the universe if that's where the story is going.:mad:
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Still, they should have at least had some explanation for why we didn't get info on Iconians from the preservers even with full access to them all this time, like maybe the didn't want to divulge that info unless they really believed they were an actual threat? Without an explanation for this it just makes our captains and factions look incredibly stupid and naive. I like the story, but that little detail is irksome.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    reynoldsxd wrote: »

Even on Normal story missions the Undine are still very formidable foes.
    The Heralds are just....annoying.
  • annahannah Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They're very easy in space. I played it on elite, it was mostly just annoying with that ionic tubulence thing that disables you, they can chain that pretty often.

They were a bit tougher in ground, their melee hits really hurt and they ripped thru my shields fast.

By far the largest hurdle with them is the god awful lag, especially in the STFs. tried both space ones and it could take 2-5 secs from hitting space bar to my weapons firing, and when i got a ship down to 0% it just kept on going and didn't blow up.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    How could anyone, who've at least played the game for a few years and understand's Cryptic's pattern of development, NOT see this coming? Of course they're cannon fodder. All NPCs are cannon fodder.

This is not an invasion. Or a war.

It's pest control. So you can get new shinies. Then we move on to other things. Business as usual.
  • keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    reynoldsxd wrote: »

Yeah try that folks. If you couldn't beat normal, then your ship is a joke.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I guess that's how they're realizing cost savings.

where is albert zerstoiten when you need him? :P
    he could make sense of this stuff.

but anyway, i saw the storyline, and it left a few more questions than answers.
    what was the information?
    what happened to the information after the iconian left? because clearly the preserver look liked he finished.
    they had these preservers locked up for so long and yet it was just wasted. so what happens to the deferi now their preservers are no more? will their balance demand the heads of the iconians to rebalance the loss?
    were the breen involved?
    at the start during the briefing i saw a cardassian gul in the initial stages of the plan when the starbase got hit. what happened to him? (assuming everyone else had the same npc).
    why destroy a whole planet when you could wipe out the preserver hide out? what purpose does it solve to take out the entire planet?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Tell you what, fire up the Foundry and create your own missions, then please post details here for all of us to try. I, for one, look forward to seeing what you come up with, then swiftly mocking and crapping all over it on the forums.

So go ahead, write your own material and allow us to "enjoy" it.

Whatever, fanboy.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    at the start during the briefing i saw a cardassian gul in the initial stages of the plan when the starbase got hit. what happened to him? (assuming everyone else had the same npc).
    why destroy a whole planet when you could wipe out the preserver hide out? what purpose does it solve to take out the entire planet?
    Ask Darth Vader.

Storytelling wise, it got rid of the entire Preserver subplot, that Cryptic never got to flesh out.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Whatever, fanboy.

Did you not read his sig? You must be new to the forums, mate.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I dunno, they had a lots of space abilities, like probes, kind of disabling missiles, gateway...

But then, I didn't see much, I was in a beamboat.
    BFAW.
    Win.

An usual day in STO space combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Storytelling wise, it got rid of the entire Preserver subplot, that Cryptic never got to flesh out.

How would the Preservers know a thing about the Iconians anyways? The Preservers were millions of years ago doing the whole evolutionary seeding thing. On that scale of time, the Iconians ruling a mere 200,000 years ago was pretty much just last week. The conversation should have gone something like

Captain: "We're in trouble. Please, tell us everything you know about the Iconians."
    Preserver: "The who?"
    Captain: "The Iconians. From this planet at <space coordinates XYZ>"
    Preserver: "Oh those guys. Dunno. Last time I saw that planet, the dominant life form was this little green furry pig-dog thing with 6 eyes. There's people there now?"

Writers have no sense of scale, in space or time.
  • omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    I dunno, they had a lots of space abilities, like probes, kind of disabling missiles, gateway...

But then, I didn't see much, I was in a beamboat.
    BFAW.
    Win.

An usual day in STO space combat.

This is probably my biggest complaint with the space battles. BFAW conquers all. Solar gateway? Energy gateway? No prob, just activate that one ability that trivializes all combat.

My second complaint? Those Baltim Raiders can see through cloak and can nearly one-shot you (I was in my BoP) since you have no shields.