test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 10 Launch Guide

primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
Hello Everyone,

I assume everyone here was around for the launch of Delta Rising and knows what a season launch day is like, but if not here is the basic rundown. like any other patch day, except it takes longer and the server isn't guaranteed to turn back on immediately... :D
So, here are a few tips to help speed up the process and make your day go faster and be more enjoyable.

• Patch Tribble Ahead of Time
    • When Holodeck patches the game, the STO launcher is hardcoded to borrow files from your Tribble install whenever it can to cut down on bandwidth.
    • Pre-Patching has been enabled for the last week or so.when you quit out of STO, it should start patching files ahead of time.
    • Patched Size is not the same as Downloaded Size. https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/519511663154716672/photo/1

• Play the Episodes, and Enjoy Them!
    • We will be getting at least Two new episodes. These will be featuring the voice Talents of both Lisa LoCicero, and Robert Duncan McNeill.
      (Trendy Said I had to Call him Captain Proton, because all other names were a lie)
    • Play them in the correct order. Blood of the Ancients and then Delta Flight.
    • Although the Devs have put an immense amount of work into these Episodes, due to the fact that this is a game and there are a million possible play scenarios and they cannot possibly predict them all, it is likely that something may go wrong.
    • If something does break please don't come on the Forums and start up Rage and Flame Threads. Please do go post a response to the bug thread in a professional and concise manner. There will probably already be a thread going. Do not start your own.. Find one that is already up and reply to that one.

• Be nice to the other players in the queues
  • Don't be worried... everyone will be lost on Tuesday
    • With Season 10 comes the amazing Sector Space Revamp.
    • Every System has been moved, some slightly, others completely across the Map.
    • Read more about it here: Dev Blog
    • If you find that a CRYPTIC STORY Mission gives incorrect instruction, please post a bug report on the Forums.
      • Please post in the Gameplay Bug Report Section HERE
    • Ensure to provide what you did and what you could not do with what you expected to do.
      • Please look for any other threads pertaining to this issue. Especially an "Official Feedback" Type Thread if there is one. Always comment to an existing thread first before creating a new one so that Devs and other players can find any information passed down about fixes in one place.
      • Bug Thread for Sector Space Revamp

• Don't be surprised if the server goes down.
    • Legacy of Romulus caused the server to go down and up and down for a total of around 14 hours before they finally got the issues resolved.
    • There were also slight server hiccups on Launch Day of Delta Rising.
    • With the success of the Delta Recruit Event, there have been a lot of new players Recently, and the servers have been taxed pretty hard.

• You may have to wait in line to Login
    • If the server reaches capacity the server will automatically activate a Queue system
    • This system will be first come first serve, with Paid Subscribers being moved higher in the List.
    • This system has been active many times in the last two Weeks.

• Foundry Missions and the Foundry Editor will probably be down for a while.
    • This is normal, don't freak out.
    • The Foundry missions will be available as soon as an automatic republishing is complete
    • The Editor will be updated with the new code branch and is usually available once the republishing starts .
    • When the Foundry is reactivated, the Review and Rating system will be disabled so authors can fix missions - you can still send an in-game email to the author to report bugs, this will help them get this fixed (remember to be civil, bugs could be related to the update and might not have been there before!).
    • With the changes in Sector Space there will be a lot of misleading Dialogue, as start points have moved. Please be patient and PM the Author in game. Or Add the in-game Channel "FoundryTalk" and Ask there. Someone will know.
    • If you find a Featured Episode that is broken alert the Author
    • If you are an author of Featured Episode and your Mission Start point was moved and you need to make changes, you will need to contact pwlaughingtrendy, via PM on the forums - Your mission will need to be Un-Featured so you can fix it and later once fixed it can be Featured again by talking to pwlaughingtrendy.

• Report Bugs, but be civilized and Smart About it
    • Visit the Bug Report Section that best fits the Problem, Gameplay, Video, Audio
      • Gameplay Bug Report Section HERE
      • Graphical and Sound Bug Report Section HERE
      • PC and Networking Bug Report Section HERE
      • Problems with the hardware can drastically vary from computer to computer. As personal computer setups are extremely variable, please be aware that they are oftendealt with by the Devs and communication back from the engineers regarding hardware setup issues is rare - they have to find the issue before fixing it and there is not always and ETA to restoration

• Read through the first 5 pages of reports looking for a thread about your problem before starting a new thread.
    • If you do make a duplicate Thread, don't be surprised if its moved.
    • There is a NECRO RULE on the Forums, If a thread is older than 30 Days, you cannot post in it.
    • New Forum Accounts cannot always create new threads. Please look for a thread that matches your problem, If you cannot find one, please do not hijack another thread by posting your issue there. This helps keep issue threads organized and all relevant information present.
    • Be very concise and detailed in your report, include screenshots if you can You can Host and Link Images from Imgur
    • Try and Give Step by Step instructions on what you did to experience the issue and how it can be reproduced.

I hope this Helps and Makes everyone's day go by smoothly.

Macro

PS- Thanks to LaughingTrendy and the Rest of the forum Mod team for their feedback in the creation of this Guide.
Post edited by primar13 on

Comments

• chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2015
    Friendly, Nice, Helpful

/10char
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Very nice and smart post, definitely what some people need to know before to approach the new season :D
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Play an Iconian PvE as soon as the server comes up on each toon. The weapons and set are excellent at spewing out DPS left and right. Maxing out that rep is a great way to get the delta toons spewing out DPS.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nice post. But what do the kdf get out of it? 🖖

Seriously though, this lag is terrible.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Good info. All that's missing is: When does Season 10 go live? ;)

P.S.
    I can't emphasize enough about the login/server issues mentioned. (The smart ones wait a day or two...)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What a lovely, respectful, constructive post about season 10 and forum etiquette.

I will enjoy being in it on Tuesday when everyone proceeds to whine, cry and moan about the patch ruining their gameplay and vilifying Cryptic with threats of leaving.

:D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nandospc wrote: »
    Thanks!

1st link posted only 4 days ago. So far that tells us the day.

2nd link posted today, so if the time estimate turns out to be reality, S10 will be up at 10AM PDT, so now we know the approximate time.

3rd link is arcgames - who goes there? :P
    When I want Release Notes I go to Release Notes.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    primar13 wrote: »
    • Pre-Patching has been enabled for the last week or so.when you quit out of STO, it should start patching files ahead of time.

that does work for me at all, i never pre-patch because every time i am done the game after the previous pre-patch it downloads it all again. best bet to get into the game on time is during the maint cycle where you can download the whole thing and then just wait for the server to come up.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited April 2015
    I will enjoy being in it on Tuesday when everyone proceeds to whine, cry and moan about the patch ruining their gameplay and vilifying Cryptic with threats of leaving.

What? You mean that isn't the status quo on STO forums? It sure was for *months* up until Delta Rising went live ... and then afterward as well.

Me? I miss the old ESD, and the old normal (when normal really meant normal, not advanced).
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Pre-Patching has been enabled for the last week or so.when you quit out of STO, it should start patching files ahead of time.
    **** i did not know that, ive been closing it down :D
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    Good post, Primar.

And always remember. . .
    :::points to signature:::
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • random909random909 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    *Runs around like a mad person* :eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • tonyedutonyedu Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Great post! Thanks!
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited April 2015

[*]Patch Tribble Ahead of Time[*]When Holodeck patches the game, the STO launcher is hardcoded to borrow files from your Tribble install whenever it can to cut down on bandwidth.
    [*]Pre-Patching has been enabled for the last week or so.when you quit out of STO, it should start patching files ahead of time.

While the rest of your post is all good, I just wanted to point out that this part doesn't work for me and hasn't since Season 7. I pre-patch, I keep Tribble up to date and I'm still downloading the patch. And there are other players I've talked to that have similar problems.

Again, the other points you list are all good, so thank you for that.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Pre-patcher does not work for me .

Or rather , I have learned through trial and error that I have exactly one chance to pre-patch , and that's the very first time it comes up (where it usually slows down or gets stuck toward the middle of the patch) .

Any time after that -- I close the game , the pre-patcher comes up , and promptly crashes .

... every . single . time ....
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah sometimes it seems it doesn't prepatch well or at least doesn't check prepatch file versions I guess because when I selected Tribble and then Holodeck again it started to patch but not downloading the patch again so it seem the prepatch worked after doing that for some reason...

Just an odd quirk i just noticed...
  • stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Can't wait to check out season 10.

I like the top post. It's a good reminder/introduction/explanation of what is to come. You guys should do those more often ahead of bigger patches. :)
  • kaiserwillykaiserwilly Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I wonder how many people will heed this worthy advice.

Thanks for the info though.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Friendly, Nice, Helpful

/10char

And on this forum? What happened, did i enter a time warp and emerge in a mirror universe?

Well laid out and most certainly helpful, but almost certain to be ignored by many.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    iamynaught wrote: »
    While the rest of your post is all good, I just wanted to point out that this part doesn't work for me and hasn't since Season 7. I pre-patch, I keep Tribble up to date and I'm still downloading the patch. And there are other players I've talked to that have similar problems.

Again, the other points you list are all good, so thank you for that.

Well thats because Pre-patching and Patching Tribble only goes so far. It Downloads all thee files to your Computer, but doesn't actually make the changes until launch Day.

As Taco explained here: https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/519511663154716672/photo/1

The 6GB are the Actual Changing of the Files, the rewriting, you are not actually downloading 6GB.

There will always be a small amount that you download on launch day as well.
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ummm..... that was a beautifully constructed post.... this is the STO forum's right?
    Well done primar very impressive ( a bit more hate and whining next time an we should be good :D ).
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well thats because Pre-patching and Patching Tribble only goes so far. It Downloads all thee files to your Computer, but doesn't actually make the changes until launch Day.

As Taco explained here: https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/519511663154716672/photo/1

The 6GB are the Actual Changing of the Files, the rewriting, you are not actually downloading 6GB.

There will always be a small amount that you download on launch day as well.

Yes, I know this, as I explain to everyone who doubts my experience.

Download size is ALWAYS smaller than patch size, I've known this since the first time I patched my first MMO almost 10 years ago.

With that being said, I started downloading at 6:45am today. After nearly an hour and a half I had roughly 1315 megs patched and 955 megs downloaded, and was sitting at 20-ish percent done. A short time later, my launcher crashed and I restarted it. Of course all my previous downloading was saved, thankfully, so since restarting my download of the update, I've gotten about another 2470 megs patched and 1475 megs downloaded.

That's what, about 3.8 gigs patched and a bit over 2.5 gigs downloaded? Pre-patching doesn't work for me.

I've looked for the files on my system after pre-patching, *I* see them, they are there. The launcher/patcher does not see them, hence why I'm downloading it again. I've kept Tribble updated, again, no luck.

I do not have a fast internet speed. People keep telling me to "get a better connection". I have the best connection I can afford. Which is why I really want the pre-patch system to work. Is that so difficult for people to understand?

I'm not saying it doesn't work for everyone, I know it works for a lot of people, likely most. It just doesn't work for me and a few others like me, for whatever reason. I'm not asking for instant gratification, I'm asking why a system put in place to make things easier, isn't doing that.

I get that no matter how much time and effort any software company puts into making sure their software works for as many people as possible, there will be outliers that it simply isn't 100% compatible with.

That doesn't mean that the essential parts of the software don't work, perhaps it's just a feature or two that are out of whack. I'm guessing that's what my (and others) situation is, an outlier. I would just like to have it acknowledged that this is an actual issue. I don't even care if *I* never see it fixed for me, just something official saying, "we know about it, we've done/are doing what we can, though it may never be 100%" would be enough for me.

I keep holding out hope each and every time there is a major update that pre-patching and keeping Tribble updated "this time" will work so I keep wasting time and bandwidth only to find out it isn't going to be "this time".

I love the game, I support the game when I can (LTS but I do buy on top of that sometimes) and I'm not leaving the game any time soon. If I didn't care about the game, I wouldn't be complaining in the hopes that my issue gets fixed, I'd probably just leave.

Sometimes the folks that complain the loudest are the ones who care the most.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
  • maebornmaeborn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is my first post here and i am not usually posting, i prefer to play the game, unless something exited me so i want to congratulate or something disappointed me so i vent my frustration.
    I am a new (and subscribed) member of STO, and while i enjoy many things in the game, there are other features that need attention, as it happens to every MMO.

I also have to note that my RL obligations does not permit me the luxury of spending as much time as i want in STO, only few brief moments while being more relaxed during my days off.
    The one or two hours i mostly log in, i tend to follow a dilithium routine, i do not often reach the daily cap and i can live with it.

But the recent omission of two dilithium dailies (Defense contract and Distress signal) hits hard my daily planning. These 960 dil will be missed and i am not happy to say that i find the Traleus daily too difficult so i tend to avoid it.
    I really hope that some new dailies will be added ingame to replace the ones we lost, better sooner than later.
    Apart from that i still find the game very enjoyable up to one point for a casual player as my self.

I do not expect suggestions only meaningful replacement.
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The 2 episodes don't give any rep marks.
    The 3 new missions have 1/0/0 q'ed at this time.
    How do we get the new rep marks ?
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The 2 episodes don't give any rep marks.
    The 3 new missions have 1/0/0 q'ed at this time.
    How do we get the new rep marks ?

You make 4 more accounts thats how lol :D
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Where di my frighter mission go to that is close to K 7?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • mic1001mic1001 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So far the worst season release, if that was possible, all seasons had terrible release and are worse than the previous seasons, and I should know since I've played this game when Perpetual was running things. Despite being subscription only game it was way better under Perpetual than what it is now, 100 times better in fact.

I am thoroughly disappointed with current developers and entire team behind star trek online. greed and corporate culture with in cryptic team has left many fans of star trek disillusioned and angry at what Creeps are doing to this game.

Season 10 is a fine example of utter contempt current development team has for StartrekOnline community, for if they really cared for star trek online in any manner they'd ensured that any bugs from season 7, 8. 9 are dealt with before they've launched season 10. The lag every single mission and bugs, all of us experience playing this game since launch of season 10 illustrates my point.

[/rant]

Totally pissed and beyond angry.

Racism and Fraudulent activity in Star Trek online Zone chat!!!

BTW every time i report a bug, never ever get a response, every time i report spammer and scammers who are posting fraudulent/scam messages in zone chat, nothing happens, no response, Racism in zone chat is also very prevalent, just to remind Creeptyic, you can be prosecuted in the EU if you fail to comply with EU internet hate laws, Racism and bigotry is something Star Trek has been against since inception, yet this development team thinks it is ok to compare president Obama to a chimp or worse. I've seen the worse kinds of racist posts in zone chat that belong to stormfront.org and not a star trek community chat board. Should I be taking print screens each time i come across racist chat and send it off to FBI???

Perhaps this might spur cryptic to act !???

I am sure US has laws against hate speech ?