test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What are good items to craft for the exchange?

indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Academy
I have been crafting items now that I hit level 15 in R&D and getting some good weapons for sale. What items do you like to craft that have a good return?
Post edited by indyshark on

Comments

• Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't craft much...but I know the Antiproton market is nuttier than squirrel TRIBBLE.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ok, but do you craft beams, cannons, consoles or something else? I just to know what kind of items are the best to check.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    your not crafting for the items so much these days as your crafting for the mods.

and if some people think because some post items for a lower prices they are being jerks others will think the people that want prices to stay high are being the jerks.

Any advice one gives can be dismissed or alternatives given by another person. just like the real world you can pay out the wazoo for some name brand T shirt or go to wally world and get a 4 pack for 1/4 the price of one at the other store.

Which business model is the best? name brand store A with live models prancing around selling high dollar items or wally world with smiley faces pointing to roll back prices. both are successful bother are correct in what they do.

then you have the unpainted type stores. that's where you buy the mk 2 items and try upgrading yourself for great mods
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To answer the OP, I usually craft mid range phaser, disruptor, or plasma weapons. People tend to stay with their faction's weapons until they reach end game.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rob2485 wrote: »
    My suggestion is to watch the exchange for a few days and see what moves. I really hope nobody gives hints because it could bottom out the market, there is already too much of that going on because people are jerks and want to undercut everyone else which unbalances the market.

Just be smart and don't match them.

I'll go to post something and see everyone selling for 400,000 and then one guy has one at 250,000. I just post at 400k, I know his will go quickly and then I'll sell mine.

It only bottoms out when everyone matches that one guy.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I only sell "crafting failures" on the Exchange.

What are "crafting failures"? Any weapon I crafted with mods that I do not want. It also includes any crafted item that did not increase in rarity when I upgraded them.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've always found Blue Tactical Consoles for Captain and below levels do well. They do not take long to craft. They sell at a good pace as long as one does not price them at levels which newer players can afford.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    With all auction houses in all games what is worth selling changes. Those things that are valuable are called niches. Some last a very short time, just hours, others last years. The most important thing, is don't get upset when yours goes away, simply find a new one.

On Tuesday we get a new lockbox. What kind of damage does its weapons cause? Because those tactical consoles will be high demand for the first couple days.

With the delta recruit event a lot of people made new characters so for a while mark 4 and 6 gear was quite expensive. Prices have normalized now with more people crafting such gear and most recruits having leveled past mark 6. There will still be regular demand, based on the three anniversary infograhics 1,500 level 1 captains are created every day. Those captains need gear. On general disruptor and plasma have the most profit. Antiproton is a special case I'll explain in a second.

The omni beams are OK. The problem is each captain only needs 1. So not as many sell total. Again, disruptor and plasma usually are highest profit.

Antroton is the highest demand damage type in the game. However it is also the one with the most people crafting so prices for anything but the two very best items are very low. Those two items are worth over a hundred million, all the rest you can get comparable money from a vendor. So what are those two? Mark 2 beams with critdx3 or critdx2+pen. Everything else is vendor trash. Both beam arrays and dual beams.

No high damage player wants a normal tactical console, so the antiproton Consol's don't sell as high as you !might expect.

This said, profit in crafting is truly horrible. You lose !money on most thongs and hope you earn it back on the big lucky crits. If you really want to get rich sell your materials and let some other person gamble on the items.

Also, on Tuesday its not crafting, but if you can be online in the first hour after the servers come back up there will be a very short window where keys and the new lockbox will spike in price. A few dozen very wealthy people will spent literally thousands of dollars in zen to open the new box and sell the new ship. The only source for this box is buying them from the dilithium store. You will be able to get sometimes as much as 2 or 3 million ec per stack of 20 boxes and each stack only costs 200 dil.

This will end fast, it only lasts an hour or two at the most. But if you are online, absolutely take advantage of it. It happens with every new lockbox by the way.

Also, fleet ship modules are about to be in massive demand. Already the price is 4 million higher than usual and regularly all stock is vanishing as people buy them up to hold for Tuesday.

Look forward, see what is coming, and be ready. This is how you make money on the auction house, whether you craft or not.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    One more tip, day of the week matters. Prices across the board drop Friday and sat as people log in, play, and sell the stuff they earn/craft/buy/etc.

Sunday as supply dries up prices start to rise. There are other changes during the week and specific items have their own cycles. Whatever you plan to sell, watch for a while so you know when is the best time to sell.
  • Options
    spock1190spock1190 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wow, thanks for letting everyone know our strategies. You're going to flood all the good markets if you advertise them.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    spock1190 wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for letting everyone know our strategies. You're going to flood all the good markets if you advertise them.

If you think that, then reread my first paragraph. All niches end. There will always be more demand than supply. If you cannot find a new niche you are not trying hard enough.

Being selfish and greedy ensures that both in game and in real life you will always feel like you don't have enough.

Instead, cultivate a sense of abundance. You'll be much happier and more successful, again both in game and in real life.
  • Options
    spock1190spock1190 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My point is that you will never help the exchange by letting every literate fool in this game know how niches work. Many of the markets I work in are propagated by stupid people buying things at inflated prices. More supply in these areas means I will have to find new markets more and more quickly, and the niches will last shorter and shorter periods of time. Certainly not a good thing. Let the ignorant suffer.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    My point is that you will never help the exchange by letting every literate fool in this game know how niches work. Many of the markets I work in are propagated by stupid people buying things at inflated prices. More supply in these areas means I will have to find new markets more and more quickly, and the niches will last shorter and shorter periods of time. Certainly not a good thing. Let the ignorant suffer.

And that right there says "blah-blah-blah I want to exploit people because I am afraid there isn't enough to go around and if my niche goes away I'll never find another".

I do not choose to reward or support or encourage malevolence. Which is what consciously exploiting other people and profiting from suffering is.

More importantly, the mindset of " I might lose my niche and there isn't enough ec in the game" is reflected by stress hormones in the brain and body. Those impair your ability to think and are contributing, if not causal factors to every major disease known to medical science. You are literally killing yourself by being greedy and selfish.

Instead, realiz that you had the ability to find those niches, you will find more. The niche itself is irrelevant. The ability within you is what matters. That is within you and only you can give it away.

The more people acting intelligently the healthier and more active the market. Some niches will turn over faster, others will not. Contraband, for example. As long as there are players who don't like the kdf (the majority of the game are fed) the market for contraband will exist. And thanks to time zones and global community and different work schedules even if another person is in your niche you can just sell at different times. Or figure out what they need and sell to them, just as I recommended people not craft but sell mats instead.

Most niches, as they evolve make more niches. Like the critdx3 mark 2 beams are splitting into more niches:
    1. Low mark ultra rare critdx4 for those willing to upgrade
    2. Low mark critdx4 golds for those willing to upgrade
    3. Mark 14 ultra rare critdx3+ pen or critdx4 for those who want "good enough"
    4 perfect gold mark 14 for those who want it all

Losing one niche doesn't mean you lose an opportunity, it means more new opportunities open. The process is not one to be afraid of. It is one to make a profit off of.

As I said before demand will always exceed supply, the devs ensure this via their design and the reward limits in place. Because not everyone plays the same not everyone can become competition. But nearly everyone can become a customer at least once in a while. The more stuff people have, the more they want, and the faster they can earn the ec to pay for it.

To use your words, certainly that is a good thing.
  • Options
    kurgis1kurgis1 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Theres something deeply ironic about someone with a forum name based around "Spock" posting selfish, self-centered nonsense.

To the OP: Everything Gavinruneblade has posted is true - and its good advice.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

Markets come and go. Anyone that grinded spec points but didn't use them all will fill up the pilot spec and sell tokens and manuals left and right as soon as the server comes up and make a lot of EC. Then when the Summer event comes, people will want some new bikini or some other junk, and pay a pretty price for favors the first day. And the cycle keeps going.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, niche markets comes and goes just like waves in the ocean. You just need to spend a little time looking at Exchange prices.

As stated in my previous post, I only sell "crafting failures". However, I do sometimes speculate in the Exchange to buy items that I believe are undervalued and simply store them in my inventory until the time is right to sell them. At worse, I will take a small loss.

For example, back in late February (if I remember correctly) the prices on all types of very rare Mk XII tactical consoles crashed. They used to sell for about 1 million EC each, but prices have tanked to 450k EC or less. I took the risk and bought around 30 - 40 very rare plasma infuser Mk XII consoles for 400k EC - 450k EC (I spread out the purchase amongst my captains). At worse I figure I would loose 50k EC - 100k EC on each console. But in the end I have sold each one for over 1.5 million EC.

I have also purchased a few ultra rare Mk XIV gear from the Exchange when I believe they are fairly inexpensive and simply sit on them until the time is right to sell them for a profit. It may take 3 - 6 weeks, but in the end I do eventually sell the gear unless I have decided to install it on my ship. I have done this with engineering consoles that I have bought for about 15 million EC - 20 million EC and have resold them for around 30 million - 35 million EC.

As far as crafting is concerned, it is far less risky than doing buy/sell speculation on Exchange. At worse you will waste some crafting mats, time, and maybe a little bit of EC and dilithium; not hundreds of thousand EC or millions of EC. Because of that do not be afraid of crafting gear that may or may not sell and pay attention to prices on the Exchange. Eventually you will find niche markets.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rob2485 wrote: »
    My suggestion is to watch the exchange for a few days and see what moves. I really hope nobody gives hints because it could bottom out the market, there is already too much of that going on because people are jerks and want to undercut everyone else which unbalances the market.

LOL

/10 chars
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2015

LOL

/10 chars
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    kerven01kerven01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    MK II purple tactical consoles. I prefer antiproton. Toss in an improved upgrade to raise it to ~MK VII and the selling price goes up quite a bit, and you have the chance of a rarity upgrade which would raise the price much higher. The difference between the rarities at MK XIV is small, so unless you're a min-maxer and need to keep them for personal use, that's large profit with minimal effort. Well, there's a bit of randomness involved, but the 5% rarity upgrade seems a bit more likely than the chance for a [crtd]x3, since the mod involves three random chances to make as opposed to a single chance. Grinding for specific mods can take a long time and burn through resources. You could craft 100 dual cannons in search for that [crtd]x3 that sells for 3mil+ and not find it, and you'd end up with more [dmg], [acc], and [pvp whatever] weapons than you'll know what to do with. With people wanting low MK items for upgrading in hopes of rarity improvement, it seems as though MK II is the way to go... for certain items.

Also, tech upgrades sell pretty high compared to their costs. I used to make huge profits from selling improved upgrades. Just keep an eye on materials costs and buy in bulk when they're cheap. Then, grind out the upgrades and sell at market price. Likewise for superior and other upgrades. It's easy to earn ~20k profit per from something like improved upgrades, especially if you hunt down your own materials.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    For superior upgrades... they cost 15k EC + materials to make, and the cheapest I've seen them for sale on exchange for is around ten times that... and you often get two at that price if the project crits. So profit all depends on how you're acquiring the materials. Because they are much more dilithium-efficient than Basic and Improved, they sell much better. (They get something like double the efficiency of Improved and quadruple that of Basic, if you calculate progress points vs. dilithium activation cost.)

Tech upgrades are a tricky thing and whether its better to sell mats or the finished product depends entirely on how your personal farming vs shopping skill balances out.

When I do the math, the materials usually end up being worth ~120,000. As you mention completed upgrade kits go for 170k to 240k. So, buying the mats and crafting a cheap one earns 170-15-120=35k profit. If I could get 120k selling the mats, thats four times more ec for me. But can I farm that efficiently? And the expensive upgrade kits are 240-15-120= 105k, now there's no one who can farm fast enough to out earn that. But what about when the price of mats spike? Or the price of the tech kits drops? Many days even the "best" kit is far less profit than selling mats.

Then there are the crits that give you two kits for one material price.... Changing even a bad case from 35k vs 120k to 205k vs 120k. Crits are huge.

It's a really fluid market. There is a ton of money in it, but you gotta watch day by day to know when it is worth crafting and when to just play missions for a day or two until prices get more favorable.
  • Options
    rexnebular51rexnebular51 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2015

This just in from the newsroom at Galaxy News Network:

VIRTUAL ECONOMY TAKES A DOWNWARD TURN

Earlier today, virtual market speculators were up in arms over the leaked info on virtual niche markets. One speculator was quoted as saying: "Pixels just aren't worth what they used be. I'm finding it hard to make any virtual money from the dots on my screen. People are going to be flooding the market with cheap, foreign made pixels. Last week I made 100 million pretend credits and this week, I only made 90 million pretend credits. How am I supposed to support my virtual characters now?"

With much doom and gloom, many Exchange speculators hinted that the pretend markets might come to a virtual halt. One enterprising [no pun intended] Exchange entrepreneur was overheard saying: "There are morons undercutting my prices all the time. How dare they sell their pixels cheaper than me! They must be using sweat ships on Risa to make their pixels so cheaply. The pretend market is going to crash... mark my words!"

As pretend market speculators scramble to earn more pretend credits, casual players were seen snickering and laughing at those who take this way too seriously.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This just in from the newsroom at Galaxy News Network:

VIRTUAL ECONOMY TAKES A DOWNWARD TURN

Earlier today, virtual market speculators were up in arms over the leaked info on virtual niche markets. One speculator was quoted as saying: "Pixels just aren't worth what they used be. I'm finding it hard to make any virtual money from the dots on my screen. People are going to be flooding the market with cheap, foreign made pixels. Last week I made 100 million pretend credits and this week, I only made 90 million pretend credits. How am I supposed to support my virtual characters now?"

With much doom and gloom, many Exchange speculators hinted that the pretend markets might come to a virtual halt. One enterprising [no pun intended] Exchange entrepreneur was overheard saying: "There are morons undercutting my prices all the time. How dare they sell their pixels cheaper than me! They must be using sweat ships on Risa to make their pixels so cheaply. The pretend market is going to crash... mark my words!"

As pretend market speculators scramble to earn more pretend credits, casual players were seen snickering and laughing at those who take this way too seriously.

I laughed so hard I cried and nearly passed out reading this. Thank you.